NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Wulf Moon

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Thomas wrote:

Thanks Moon!

Everyone has been really friendly and supportive, which is awesome. Nice to meet you. :)[/quote]

Nice to meet you as well, Thomas, but it will be nicer when we meet at the workshop. : )

Sally forth!

~Moon~

zeeteebeez

Postby zeeteebeez » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple of years around results time. Figured it's about time to start contributing. As they say, debilitating anxiety loves company.

My first submission was Q4 2015, I believe. Q4 2017 is my fourth submission. HM, R, HM, so far.

Excited to twitch with you all!

Z.T.

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Welcome! This place has been a complete boon for me as a writer, I’m glad I found it. And yes, much twitching.
Trying to refute entropy with words.

Vol34: Q2 R, Q3 HM, Q4 R
Vol35: pending

Blogging about my writing journey at: http://www.rebeccaetreasure.com/blog

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 am

Nice to meet everyone.

I'd been equivocating over submitting something to the WotF contest for a couple of years but have recently come to terms with the fact that writers not only write, but they submit. With that in mind, I finally put in my first submission for Q4 2017. I'm not expecting much (safer that way, no?), but I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better!

-Phillip
V34-Q4: HM
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 am

Welcome Phillip and other newcomers, posted or not,
Post.
Post now! Don't just mine old threads for tidbits (though there are lots of healthy tidbits), but ask your own gripping questions. Maybe there's someone on the Forum who wasn't here for the last thread that dealt with your quandary.

Maybe you're the one with answers and you want to share. Post it.

I love seeing new names, reading new opinions and sharing the twitching.
Best of luck,
Kent

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks, Kent! Already started conversing on another thread. :)
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:27 am

Hello, Phillip! Nice to meet you. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

manderson

Postby manderson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Hello all,

I've been a fan of the contest for a few years. Just started submitting Q3 of this year and I put in another story for Q4. Great to have these forums as a resource/outlet.

I received a confirmation email saying I was successfully entered in the contest for Q3 (and Q4) but I have yet to receive a follow up (rejection or otherwise) for Q3. I've seen others on here seeming to convey their results from Q3. Was wondering if anyone knows how late the judging can go for a quarter or if/when they'd recommend I follow up.

Thanks for the insight!

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:07 pm

manderson wrote:Hello all,

I've been a fan of the contest for a few years. Just started submitting Q3 of this year and I put in another story for Q4. Great to have these forums as a resource/outlet.

I received a confirmation email saying I was successfully entered in the contest for Q3 (and Q4) but I have yet to receive a follow up (rejection or otherwise) for Q3. I've seen others on here seeming to convey their results from Q3. Was wondering if anyone knows how late the judging can go for a quarter or if/when they'd recommend I follow up.

Thanks for the insight!

I would definitely follow up for Q3. All results have been posted or released. I believe you can reply to the email address from which you received your confirmation email. It doesn't happen often, but results do get lost occasionally. Best of luck!

manderson

Postby manderson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks! I might create a Quarterly Results thread for Q3 and Q4 if I'm able.

Chris Rose

Postby Chris Rose » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:38 am

Hello to All,

I am in my second quarter of submissions for WotF, very excited about the prospect of using these forums and meeting you all! Some of you I also recognize from Codex writers, and from your stories out in the wide world!

I have a story up in the Escape Pod podcast, episode #555 “Monstrance of Sky” and a story “Rushford Recapitulation” in Interzone issue #270. My Twitter handle is @CChrisrose, and I have a (quite infrequent) blog over at http://www.curiousful.wordpress.com .

Cheers,
Chris Rose

Q2, Vol34, HM
Q4, Vol34, pending

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:41 am

Hello and welcome. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:06 am

Chris Rose wrote:Hello to All,

I am in my second quarter of submissions for WotF, very excited about the prospect of using these forums and meeting you all! Some of you I also recognize from Codex writers, and from your stories out in the wide world!

I have a story up in the Escape Pod podcast, episode #555 “Monstrance of Sky” and a story “Rushford Recapitulation” in Interzone issue #270. My Twitter handle is @CChrisrose, and I have a (quite infrequent) blog over at http://www.curiousful.wordpress.com .

Cheers,
Chris Rose

Q2, Vol34, HM
Q4, Vol34, pending

Nice to meet you, Chris! I'm a fellow newbie on this forum and first-time submitter for Q4. I've also added you on Twitter and followed your blog. Thanks for spreading the news about your stories. I'm listening to Monstrance of Sky now!

-Phillip

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:12 am

Welcome to all the new! Some of you have some credits behind you, and some are submitting stories for the first time ever, it appears. Whatever the case, we're all equal here. We're trying to write the best darned story we can, and win this contest with it! Be sure to post in the thread of the quarter you enter. You will find lots of support there.

Fortune favor the brave!

~Moon~

Blake Wallace

Postby Blake Wallace » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 am

Hello to all. I submitted my first entry ever just last week. I’ve been writing for about 12 years but I never had the cojones to submit to a contest or publisher. I finally got out of my own way and decided that writing is going to be my new full time profession (good or bad) as soon as I reach retirement eligibility in four years. If I make money from it, great. If I don’t, it’ll be ok.

I see a lot of you with previous submissions noted in your posts. I know what the HM, F, SHM and all stand for, but does the R stand for rejection? If so, do you all generally consider not placing as a rejection?

Also, this may not be the right place for the question, but do any of you guys “write into the dark” when you create your tales? I mean, do any of you sit down and just write what flows from your mind and fingertips without planning, outlining, and researching?

Thanks and please excuse typos. On the phone and on the go!!
Phil Davis: I think it's impossible, ridiculous and insane!
Bob Wallace: Anything else?
Phil Davis: Yeah, I wish I'd thought of it first.
Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye in White Christmas — 1954

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Welcome Blake,
Yes, an R is a rejection. Most rejections come in the first wave of results, which is why we all hope to hear results later. It comes in the form of an email from Joni informing one that: "Your story has been judged and did not place..." It is kind and offers the author a chance to receive tips to improve results in the future.

HM- Honorable Mention, SHM- Silver Honorable Mention and SF- Semi-Finalist are technically rejections as well. However, this is a contest and the categories show placement of the story relative to other burgeoning authors. It's very encouraging to know that a top notch editor and writer judged your work to be engaging enough to read all the way through and was worthy of an Honorable Mention.

Many authors on the Forum have reported success in selling their stories no matter what their WotF result...including straight rejections. So is there really such a thing as a losing story? I think not.

The writing style of allowing a story to flow from your fingertips is called Pantsing and those who do it are Pantsers. Those who plot stories are Plotters. Both are well represented on the Forum as well as a mix of styles. Ask about anything.

Good luck,
Kent

morganb

Postby morganb » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Blake Wallace wrote:...Also, this may not be the right place for the question, but do any of you guys “write into the dark” when you create your tales? I mean, do any of you sit down and just write what flows from your mind and fingertips without planning, outlining, and researching?

Welcome Blake! Hope you're having a blast with this WOTF experience.

Pantsing vs Plotting...

Usually with my first drafts, especially with my shorter stories like flash fiction, there's a lot of pantsing/"writing in the dark" going on as I explore my characters and try to visualize where they want to take me. But then once the rough draft is done, I have to take a step back and ask myself, "What's this story really all about and what am I trying to say here?" At that point, I have to start putting some structure to it before I get into the rewrite.

There are other times though when I don't have much more to go on than a vague idea of what I want to write about, and it isn't until after I start thinking about it and mapping it all out that the real story starts to emerge. At some point a light bulb will go off and that's when I feel like I have to start writing.

Pantsting and plotting are both tools and I've never considered myself solely one or the other. They both have their uses, and I use them both whenever the situation calls for it.

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 am

Welcome, Blake, and to the lurkers who read all of this and then sneak off without saying hi! : ) Good on you for submitting and checking in. I assume you posted to the quarter thread as well. If not, be sure to check in there, where you'll find more input.

As to method, you'll find story creation is as unique as each individual that writes them. To bastardize Obi Wan, "You must write as you feel is right, of course." Whatever gets words on paper, and gets you to your final goal of a finished, lean and mean story, is right for you.

Me? I get an insight into some idea that yearns to be written. But I don't write it until I *see* the ending. I pretty much have to know where I'm going before I write. Often, I have written the ending scene first, and then make a mad manic rush to get the rest down while I'm still seeing the pathway to that ending. So you'll see lots of DONT FORGET THIS and WRITE THIS SCENE HERE and MORE COWBELL! in all caps throughout my first draft. Then, it's all racing to get to those scenes, and jumping forward to future sections to jot in some other line I just thought up as I'm writing my way to there.

I usually warm up by reading my first draft scene from the day before, doing corrections. By the time I'm done with that, I'm ready to write. By the time I get to FINIS, I have a pretty polished manuscript, and it's really my second draft. Then I do a line by line edit, and then tell myself DONE IS GOOD. In art, I watch my students destroy good paintings by working on them over and over, trying to achieve perfection. Problem is, they look overworked, and they lost the energy of the inspiration. So be careful about editing. In trying to achieve perfection, you can destroy a story, and much of what makes it alive.

And others will tell you different. That's because story creation is as unique as each individual that writes them.

~Moon~

Ayman

Postby Ayman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:35 am

Hi, I heard of WoTF around a year ago and have been dreaming of participating since. I decided to get myself involved in this community hoping it will lead me to finally get something submitted.

~Ayman

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:52 am

Welcome, Ayman! You're going to love it here. Plenty of time for you to whip a story into shape before the end of year deadline for Q1.

~Morgan
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R, R, HM

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:21 am

Ayman wrote:Hi, I heard of WoTF around a year ago and have been dreaming of participating since. I decided to get myself involved in this community hoping it will lead me to finally get something submitted.

~Ayman

From one newb to another, welcome aboard, Ayman! Do you have anything in the pipeline you'll be submitting or are you going to work on something fresh?

-Phillip

Ayman

Postby Ayman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:30 pm

pcmccollum wrote:
Ayman wrote:Hi, I heard of WoTF around a year ago and have been dreaming of participating since. I decided to get myself involved in this community hoping it will lead me to finally get something submitted.

~Ayman

From one newb to another, welcome aboard, Ayman! Do you have anything in the pipeline you'll be submitting or are you going to work on something fresh?

-Phillip

I don't have anything in the pipeline for short story. Most ideas that start out short end up becoming so complex they won't do in anything shorter than a novel.
I started reading short stories quite recently so I suppose I am not yet familiar enough but I am sure I will soon be able to do it. Right now my efforts seem more formulaic and less of an emotional experience.

-Ayman

Ayman

Postby Ayman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 am

morganb wrote:Welcome, Ayman! You're going to love it here. Plenty of time for you to whip a story into shape before the end of year deadline for Q1.

~Morgan

I am expecting my first baby in December so seems unlikely but who knows, maybe it will turn out to be a saint and I will have all the time I need to get it done. :)

-Ayman

morganb

Postby morganb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:39 am

Ayman wrote:I am expecting my first baby in December so seems unlikely but who knows, maybe it will turn out to be a saint and I will have all the time I need to get it done. :)

-Ayman

Congratulations! Delivering a baby is MUCH more exciting than delivering a manuscript. Best of luck.

~Morgan
- Stephen King

R, R, HM

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 am

Ayman wrote:
morganb wrote:Welcome, Ayman! You're going to love it here. Plenty of time for you to whip a story into shape before the end of year deadline for Q1.

~Morgan

I am expecting my first baby in December so seems unlikely but who knows, maybe it will turn out to be a saint and I will have all the time I need to get it done. :)

-Ayman

I finished writing my Master's thesis while my daughter was a newborn wotf001 Newborns (typically) sleep a lot. Might want to practice typing one-handed though! Good luck with your baby and the writing wotf024

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 am

Ayman wrote:
I don't have anything in the pipeline for short story. Most ideas that start out short end up becoming so complex they won't do in anything shorter than a novel.
I started reading short stories quite recently so I suppose I am not yet familiar enough but I am sure I will soon be able to do it. Right now my efforts seem more formulaic and less of an emotional experience.

-Ayman

Yes, I think you've nailed it in a couple parts there. Reading more short stories is super helpful. I came from a novel (reading and writing) background and found that time spent with shorter pieces has helped develop an essential structure in my own work. I read at least one short story a day now. I think you'll find once you do that, the 'formula' comes a little more naturally so you can focus on the emotion. It's like any other artistic skill in that sense. wotf008

And congrats on the newborn! Some friendly advice: Get used to waking up an hour earlier each day if you can. I've found that's the only guaranteed time I have to myself during the day and has allowed me to write as much as I do.

Best of luck with your work!

-Phillip

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:54 am

RSchibler wrote:I finished writing my Master's thesis while my daughter was a newborn wotf001 Newborns (typically) sleep a lot. Might want to practice typing one-handed though! Good luck with your baby and the writing wotf024

Ooh, you were one of the lucky ones! Our kiddo had acid reflux, so he required constant attention and needed to be held constantly. Needless to say, writing productivity took a nosedive during that period of life... wotf014

-Phillip

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Welcome, Ayman! We hope all goes well with your delivery, and you'll soon announce the happy news!

As to all the new, don't forget to post on the Q1/35, so we can cheer you on! It's important to keep submitting, and NEVER SURRENDER, NEVER GIVE UP!

Cheers,

Moon

simplify

Postby simplify » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:12 am

Hello WOTF writers!

I've been following the contest for a few years, but I have yet to make my first submission. I had all sorts of good reasons - no time, need to get better, no great idea for a short story et al.

This quarter I've finally given myself a kick in the behind and am putting the finishing touches on my submission. I have a short story planned for every quarter in this cycle, so I'll be around for a while! wotf001

I'm excited to join you all on this adventure! wotf007

Olivia

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:38 am

Welcome to the forum and the contest! wotf007 wotf010 Feel free to seek solace in the quarterly threads, as well as the 4 in 35 thread.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”