NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
pcmccollum

Re: NEW USERS! INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!

Postby pcmccollum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 am

simplify wrote:Hello WOTF writers!

I've been following the contest for a few years, but I have yet to make my first submission. I had all sorts of good reasons - no time, need to get better, no great idea for a short story et al.

This quarter I've finally given myself a kick in the behind and am putting the finishing touches on my submission. I have a short story planned for every quarter in this cycle, so I'll be around for a while! wotf001

I'm excited to join you all on this adventure! wotf007

Olivia

Glad you're jumping in, Olivia! The water's great. wotf008 The best way to 'get better' is to write, write, write. I've learned this after dilly-dallying too long. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

-Phillip
V34-Q4: HM
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

simplify

Postby simplify » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:15 am

pcmccollum wrote:The best way to 'get better' is to write, write, write.

Couldn't agree more! I've always been writing, just not with the intent to publish or submit. But I think ultimately it's unhealthy to keep everything to myself, so I'm gonna start putting it out there and see how it fares in the wild.

By the way, I've checked out your blog and read some of your "52 in 52". Can I just say - kudos! Not only on the discipline it takes to keep it going, but also the general quality of your stories. I've only read a few so far, but I'll be back for more. My favourite so far was Andreiana - I absolutely did not see that reveal coming. It's also fascinating to see your scratchpad-entries. Overall, very very cool project!

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:01 am

simplify wrote:
pcmccollum wrote:The best way to 'get better' is to write, write, write.

Couldn't agree more! I've always been writing, just not with the intent to publish or submit. But I think ultimately it's unhealthy to keep everything to myself, so I'm gonna start putting it out there and see how it fares in the wild.

By the way, I've checked out your blog and read some of your "52 in 52". Can I just say - kudos! Not only on the discipline it takes to keep it going, but also the general quality of your stories. I've only read a few so far, but I'll be back for more. My favourite so far was Andreiana - I absolutely did not see that reveal coming. It's also fascinating to see your scratchpad-entries. Overall, very very cool project!

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words! The whole '52 in 52' experiment has been a great way to build the writing and submission habit. I'd recommend it to anyone who's just not producing like they wished they would.

Also, I think it's great that you're going to start putting your work out there. I just received my first paid acceptance after quite a few rejections, so I think tenacity is the word of the day. wotf007

-Phillip
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

Andrew L. Roberts

Postby Andrew L. Roberts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:05 am

Hello Brad (and everyone ),
My name is Andrew L. Roberts. Like all f you, I am a writer and was fortunate to win 3rd place in last year's 4th Quarter.
The entire experience was incredible and I hope to share whatever I can with any of you who are writing and submitting your work to the contest.
Feel free to call me Andy.

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Andrew L. Roberts wrote:Hello Brad (and everyone ),
My name is Andrew L. Roberts. Like all f you, I am a writer and was fortunate to win 3rd place in last year's 4th Quarter.
The entire experience was incredible and I hope to share whatever I can with any of you who are writing and submitting your work to the contest.
Feel free to call me Andy.

Hello, Andy! Thanks for posting and congratulations on last year's success. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about your experience, especially those of us just getting involved in the contest.

-Phillip

graceghost

Postby graceghost » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:37 am

Hello all! My name is Grace. I'm an English/Creative Writing student and fledgeling writer and I had never heard about the WOTF contest until a month ago; I discovered it sort of by accident and just submitted my story for Q1 and since then I've been fully absorbed in this forum. The contest itself is incredible, but it's so cool, also, to see all the support and passion here in the forums. I'm really excited to be here and I'm already working on my story for Q2 (I've seen a lot of 4 in 35 posts going around and I'm very inspired...we'll see how far I get!).

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:07 pm

graceghost wrote:Hello all! My name is Grace. I'm an English/Creative Writing student and fledgeling writer and I had never heard about the WOTF contest until a month ago; I discovered it sort of by accident and just submitted my story for Q1 and since then I've been fully absorbed in this forum. The contest itself is incredible, but it's so cool, also, to see all the support and passion here in the forums. I'm really excited to be here and I'm already working on my story for Q2 (I've seen a lot of 4 in 35 posts going around and I'm very inspired...we'll see how far I get!).

Welcome, Grace! Great to have you aboard! The camaraderie here really is refreshing. Glad to hear that you submitted a story for Q1. Best of luck with it. I hope to see your name in a future anthology!

-Phillip

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:05 pm

graceghost wrote:Hello all! My name is Grace. I'm an English/Creative Writing student and fledgeling writer and I had never heard about the WOTF contest until a month ago; I discovered it sort of by accident and just submitted my story for Q1 and since then I've been fully absorbed in this forum. The contest itself is incredible, but it's so cool, also, to see all the support and passion here in the forums. I'm really excited to be here and I'm already working on my story for Q2 (I've seen a lot of 4 in 35 posts going around and I'm very inspired...we'll see how far I get!).

Hello and welcome. wotf007 wotf010
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Welcome Grace,
Good luck!

Kent

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:05 am

Welcome Olivia and Grace and everyone else I may have missed! It's good you realize the need to submit your stories, here, or anywhere else. Writing is communication. To communicate, you need a message, a transmitter, and a receiver. Your story is your message. Getting it published in something is the transmitter. And your reader is the receiver--the person that will hear your message in their own unique way. It is indeed healthy to send those stories out, because you will find fulfillment both in entering that second stage of communication--finding a transmitter for your message--and ultimately when your story gets published, getting receivers in the form of readers who are engaged by your message. Some of them will broadcast back to you that they enjoyed your work. Communication fulfilled! And writers are driven by a need to communicate. It's good you feel the drive, and it's better you are doing something about it, because that is being true to your nature.

Best of success with your submissions...here, or anywhere else! Remember, there are many roads to Mecca...this certainly is an excellent one, but there are many ways to find fulfillment as a writer.

Keep writing. Keep sending. Keep learning.

All the beast!

~Moon!

swallow

Postby swallow » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 am

Right at the very beginning, aiming at short stories - have submitted one and had it rejected, but know why, have now submitted another which i had a hoot writing, but have read you need to get about 30 to 50 under your belt to expect any sort of acceptance - New Years resolution to keep going!
Started off looking at competitions, but although they were excellent prompts, they were not what I was really after doing - found this forum after a lot of searching for 'SF forum' and the like and realised this is the place to be! Have a happy and peaceful new Year

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:02 am

swallow wrote:Right at the very beginning, aiming at short stories - have submitted one and had it rejected, but know why, have now submitted another which i had a hoot writing, but have read you need to get about 30 to 50 under your belt to expect any sort of acceptance - New Years resolution to keep going!
Started off looking at competitions, but although they were excellent prompts, they were not what I was really after doing - found this forum after a lot of searching for 'SF forum' and the like and realised this is the place to be! Have a happy and peaceful new Year

Welcome, swallow! I haven't heard the 30-50 story rule before, but if that gets you writing more in 2018, I'm all for it. wotf007 Best of luck and thanks for joining the forum.

-Phillip

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”