Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Jeremyteg

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 34

Postby Jeremyteg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 pm

MattDovey wrote:
Jeremyteg wrote:
MattDovey wrote:
"other matters", he says casually wotf001

*casually glances to the left*

*casually glances to the right*

*whispers* plane tickets, ok? It was about plane tickets...

Glad to see things are a little more organised this time--I didn't get my ticket confirmation until March, only 4 weeks before...!

I don't have ticket confirmation yet, but I'm hoping! (March is a very, very busy month for me, so I'm trying to be as proactive as possible)

morganb

Postby morganb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:47 am

FYI to all...4th quarter winners have been posted on the WOTF website. I'm totally excited about my Honorable Mention! lol

~Morgan
"If you can do it for joy, you can do it forever."
- Stephen King

Infrequent posts about this whole writing experience thing...http://mbroadhead.blogspot.com/

R x 3
HM x 1

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 am

Blog is up!

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/write ... 7-winners/

Lots of new names on there.

I'm getting old...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Blog is up!

I'm getting old...

Drat, I must have forgotten to reply to Joni since my name's not there as an SHM. Oh well!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Blog is up!

I'm getting old...

Thanks for sharing the link, Dustin! Very exciting to see the names up there!

Congratulations again to all who placed as well as those who didn't -- maybe a little trite sounding, but seriously, I think you "won" something just by submitting your story. Beating that resistance in and of itself counts in my book.
wotf009
V34-Q4: HM
V35-Q1: HM
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

Dancing conga rats once again for all that placed, anywhere on that list! You are up against what is likely two or three thousand a quarter from around the world, and some of those writers are in powerful workshops with bestselling authors critiquing their manuscripts. It is no light thing to make that list, and some of you have made it many times. You deserve a round of applause. Or a conga line of dancing rats in hula skirts and coconut shell bras! wotf001

And don't feel bad if you didn't place. You worked hard, submitted the best you can do right now, and what you write tomorrow will be even better, because every day we learn something new. Just don't stop. Every single writer that made it went through this, even though some famous writers act like they didn't. Nuh-uh. Every writer had a beginning. It was ugly. : )

Certificates should be in the mail soon. Shout out here when you get them...Joni misses some now and then, and you can wait forever if you don't know she already sent the lot out.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 pm

FYI, forgot to mention that my certificate arrived on Wednesday! Now to go shopping for frames... wotf013
---
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.” ― Ray Bradbury
Follow my attempt at 52 short stories in 52 weeks - https://phillipmccollum.com/52-short-stories-in-52-weeks/

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:22 pm

pcmccollum wrote:FYI, forgot to mention that my certificate arrived on Wednesday! Now to go shopping for frames... wotf013

I never framed my HM certificates. I left them on the desk by where I write to remind myself that "hey, you can maybe sorta do this, keep writing."

Now that I think of it, they coulda done that from the wall too...
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 pm

jficke13 wrote:
pcmccollum wrote:FYI, forgot to mention that my certificate arrived on Wednesday! Now to go shopping for frames... wotf013

I never framed my HM certificates. I left them on the desk by where I write to remind myself that "hey, you can maybe sorta do this, keep writing."

I can understand that. I guess I'm at the point in my writing career where I get excited (perhaps overly) even over a "hey, you can maybe sorta do this, keep writing." award. wotf008
---

Jeremyteg

Postby Jeremyteg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm

pcmccollum wrote:
jficke13 wrote:

I can understand that. I guess I'm at the point in my writing career where I get excited (perhaps overly) even over a "hey, you can maybe sorta do this, keep writing." award. wotf008

I have every HM and SHM certificate in a frame on the wall near my desk. wotf008

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Jeremyteg wrote:
pcmccollum wrote:
jficke13 wrote:

I have every HM and SHM certificate in a frame on the wall near my desk. wotf008

Got mine today, so heads up if you're waiting on one. In view of my post earlier, my subconscious was probably telling me something.

It's a good idea to frame them--it shows you recognize that they are important, that your writing is important. I have a couple up. I also have a nicely framed cover flat from the Star Trek anthology I'm in. And some photocopies of checks from my writing as well--it's good to remind yourself that this thing you spend bazillions of hours on does actually PAY you now and then. But all my WOTF certificates? Nope. I'll lay out the ones I don't have filed and take a picture and post it to my Facebook. You'll see what I mean, Jeremy. : )

But you're about to get the one I covet most of all--the Lexan Impaler! Seriously, doesn't anyone worry about tripping as they walk off the stage with that thing? They should instruct you to hold it point down, like scissors! : )

Cheers!

~Moon~

jficke13

Postby jficke13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 am

pcmccollum wrote:
jficke13 wrote:

You should! I did some rough math and figured that getting an HM means you're about in the top 10% of the entrants... and there are thousands of entrants. That's nothing to sneeze at.
HM x2, Vol. 34 Q4 - 3rd. http://www.jonficke.com

pcmccollum

Postby pcmccollum » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 am

Well, when you put it that way, all that more reason! :)
---

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Absolutely take pride in your Honorable Mentions! They don't just give those out like candy. Yes, it means your story was in the top 10%, maybe even the top 5%. Only around a hundred per quarter.

It means Dave found enough to like that he finished your story. Most stories, he only reads a page or two. You gave him a reason to set yours aside, come back to it later, and give it his full attention. You're doing something right. Maybe this story fell short somewhere, but it also hit the mark somewhere. You're in the right neighborhood, so keep trying!

And maybe a different editor for a different market will want this story...
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 am

Wulf Moon wrote:But you're about to get the one I covet most of all--the Lexan Impaler! Seriously, doesn't anyone worry about tripping as they walk off the stage with that thing? They should instruct you to hold it point down, like scissors! : )

Cheers!

~Moon~

I still worry about dropping the things every time I pick them up, because damn are they heavy. It'd involve broken toes for sure.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 am

MattDovey wrote:
Wulf Moon wrote:But you're about to get the one I covet most of all--the Lexan Impaler! Seriously, doesn't anyone worry about tripping as they walk off the stage with that thing? They should instruct you to hold it point down, like scissors! : )

Cheers!

~Moon~

I still worry about dropping the things every time I pick them up, because damn are they heavy. It'd involve broken toes for sure.

Fortunately, Joni not only provided winners with a sturdy suitcase, but in your case, a dolly.

~Moon~

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”