Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
JVAshley

Re: Discussion: Q2 Volume 37

Postby JVAshley » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:38 am

Sorry, I have been missing. It's good to see all of you churning out stories. I am knee deep (more like armpit deep) in revisions of a novel this quarter. I am considering taking a thread from the novel--a piece I am particularly attached to--and creating a short story from it. I have done this twice in the past, and they placed as honorable mention. It would keep me in the game and also help solidify that conflict thread in the novel.

That is where I stand at the moment. Good luck to all my co-forumites. wotf009
~ writing about the ethereal beauty of broken things ~

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:45 am

JVAshley wrote:Sorry, I have been missing. It's good to see all of you churning out stories. I am knee deep (more like armpit deep) in revisions of a novel this quarter. I am considering taking a thread from the novel--a piece I am particularly attached to--and creating a short story from it. I have done this twice in the past, and they placed as honorable mention. It would keep me in the game and also help solidify that conflict thread in the novel.

That is where I stand at the moment. Good luck to all my co-forumites. wotf009

Julia,

My 17K novelette that Kathy Wentworth said would have won if I hadn't written to the max word count was a boil down of my favorite novel chapters. Dave did it with his winner. It can be done.

Cheers!

Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

kizernix

Postby kizernix » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:31 am

After reading Wulf's post about the average word count for stories selected in the past, I've been slashing words in my story for Q2. Right now I'm at 12K down from 17K at the start of the weekend. Basically I'm rewriting it, narrowing it down to one POV character (did have 2 in alternating chapters).

Glad I found the forum, its helping me a lot already!
The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended ~ Arthur C Clarke

V37 Q2: ?
V37 Q3: WIP

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:40 am

kizernix wrote:After reading Wulf's post about the average word count for stories selected in the past, I've been slashing words in my story for Q2. Right now I'm at 12K down from 17K at the start of the weekend. Basically I'm rewriting it, narrowing it down to one POV character (did have 2 in alternating chapters).

Keeping a narrow POV is the only way I can keep myself to a reasonable word count. I tend to get wordy. wotf001

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Okay, my story is done. Need an exchange critique for it.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:05 pm

JVAshley wrote:
kizernix wrote:After reading Wulf's post about the average word count for stories selected in the past, I've been slashing words in my story for Q2. Right now I'm at 12K down from 17K at the start of the weekend. Basically I'm rewriting it, narrowing it down to one POV character (did have 2 in alternating chapters).

Keeping a narrow POV is the only way I can keep myself to a reasonable word count. I tend to get wordy. wotf001

I did rather wordy stories for a while. One I had to cut back down under their Max word count. But lately they have been rather short stories. Not flash short but still. Of course the length doesn't change the reaction from editors but interesting for me.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:37 pm

kizernix wrote:After reading Wulf's post about the average word count for stories selected in the past,

Where is this post? I would like to read it.
wotf045

R~1
HM~3

...But one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
and his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart...
-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:45 pm

Eagerink wrote:
kizernix wrote:After reading Wulf's post about the average word count for stories selected in the past,

Right here!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm

SwiftPotato wrote:
Eagerink wrote:

Right here!

Thank you!
wotf045

R~1
HM~3

-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Probably should go over my story one more time before I send it to an editor to check commas etc. Amazingly enough I have time. An interesting story for me.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Does anyone else out there use polysyndeton as a literary device? I don't see this much (if any) in sci fi/fantasy. Not sure us using such a device would be frowned upon in this contest (even when used correctly)??? Any thoughts?
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 am

Henckel wrote:Does anyone else out there use polysyndeton as a literary device? I don't see this much (if any) in sci fi/fantasy. Not sure us using such a device would be frowned upon in this contest (even when used correctly)??? Any thoughts?

I don't know if it would be frowned upon, but I like using the device for emphasis.

1x SF | 3x HM | 4x R

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Henckel wrote:Does anyone else out there use polysyndeton as a literary device? I don't see this much (if any) in sci fi/fantasy. Not sure us using such a device would be frowned upon in this contest (even when used correctly)??? Any thoughts?

Learned me a new word today! wotf001
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm

At a glance, it goes against the rules of proper grammar. But it's legitimate. And, if used properly gives the great lyrical resonance.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?

AlexH

Postby AlexH » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:09 pm

RSchibler wrote:

Learned me a new word today! wotf001

Me too!

I did it in my HM and another story I submitted. I can't see it being frowned upon unless it's overdone? I used polysyndeton (now I know what it is) without thinking about it much, as it seemed to fit the style of the story and my character's voice.
35: R R R | 36: R HM R R | 37: HM ?

Probably free for critique swaps, but double-check in case I'm away.
If you're a new writer and concerned about giving a critique, you're welcome to send me something anyway. :)

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:44 pm

RSchibler wrote:Learned me a new word today! wotf001

Me too!
R 4
SHM 1

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:46 pm

wotf022 If used properly, it gives a good lyrical effect.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?

TimE

Postby TimE » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:50 am

chuckt wrote:

Me too!

In case you 2 and ChuckT aren't joking, Mark Forsyth's Elements of Eloquence is a an entertaining and informative book on terms from Aposiopesis to Zeugma.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

Eagerink

Postby Eagerink » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Well (I looked it up too wotf001 ) I got an HM for the story with this sentance: "They had neither nets nor sails nor paddle nor boat." I'm not a super grammer geek but I would certainly use polysyndeton in a story if I felt it added to the feel of it.
wotf045

R~1
HM~3

-O'Shaughnessy

wotf047

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 am

Just cut 900 words from my 3k story. Eek.
I felt like it was already too short.
Need me some Polysyndenton. :)
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Just cut 900 words from my 3k story. Eek.
I felt like it was already too short.
Need me some Polysyndenton. :)

Ha! Ha! Ha! Nailed it! wotf019

I recall reading an old interview with Hubbard years back. He said he got paid by the word, so frequently used characters first and last names.
I just finished reading a book where the MC's name was "John Grady Cole". But the author always referred to him as "John Grady".
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – ?

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:36 pm

You people are prolific. I just revised a story that is 9500 words and it's my longest work of fiction, so far. well, I should say, completed work of fiction! I may submit that story for the next quarter, and my current entry is only 4500 words for this quarter, which makes me wonder if it was too short?!?!?!

The good part about being in creative writing courses in college is that I have deadlines to meet. I will have to write 3 more short stories this semester, and I need that pressure to focus. Pretty sad, eh?
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:00 pm

LoyalRam wrote:You people are prolific. I just revised a story that is 9500 words and it's my longest work of fiction, so far. well, I should say, completed work of fiction! I may submit that story for the next quarter, and my current entry is only 4500 words for this quarter, which makes me wonder if it was too short?!?!?!

The good part about being in creative writing courses in college is that I have deadlines to meet. I will have to write 3 more short stories this semester, and I need that pressure to focus. Pretty sad, eh?

Nothing wrong with 4500 word stories. Joni just said in an interview the contest looks for stories between 3K and 17K. Average length in Vol. 35 was around 7976.5 words. "Moongirl" was 6100. Story determines length, but it's good to be aware of what a market is looking for. And if you write 17K stories like I used to, you're going to find there are few places to sell them after WotF, and you're going to get rejections like this even if they're good from places like F&SF: "This is wonderful, but we simply don't have the room, alas. I suspect if you wrote a few more novelettes set in this world, you could sell them as a novel."

My advice? Keep shooting toward that 6K to 7K range, it's a sweet spot.

All the beast,

Wulf Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Q4 Vol 35 "Super-Duper Moongirl..."
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY of 2019.

LoyalRam

Postby LoyalRam » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Wulf Moon wrote:
LoyalRam wrote:You people are prolific. I just revised a story that is 9500 words and it's my longest work of fiction, so far. well, I should say, completed work of fiction! I may submit that story for the next quarter, and my current entry is only 4500 words for this quarter, which makes me wonder if it was too short?!?!?!

Nothing wrong with 4500 word stories. Joni just said in an interview the contest looks for stories between 3K and 17K. Average length in Vol. 35 was around 7976.5 words. "Moongirl" was 6100. Story determines length, but it's good to be aware of what a market is looking for. And if you write 17K stories like I used to, you're going to find there are few places to sell them after WotF, and you're going to get rejections like this even if they're good from places like F&SF: "This is wonderful, but we simply don't have the room, alas. I suspect if you wrote a few more novelettes set in this world, you could sell them as a novel."

My advice? Keep shooting toward that 6K to 7K range, it's a sweet spot.

All the beast,

Wulf Moon

Thank you. I am shooting for 50,000 words of a historical fiction (w, magical realism) collection/novella. Still, lots of revision needed!
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." ~ Leo Tolstoy

chuckt

Postby chuckt » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:23 am

TimE wrote:
chuckt wrote:

Me too!

In case you 2 and ChuckT aren't joking, Mark Forsyth's Elements of Eloquence is a an entertaining and informative book on terms from Aposiopesis to Zeugma.

No. Not joking. I can't even keep common terms straight. Like "split infinitive." What the heck is that thing again?
R 4
SHM 1

TimE

Postby TimE » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:05 am

My small brain filled up years ago - so words like Polywotsit aren't new to me, but my neural index long since failed. If you asked me the meaning, it might come to me 3 days later while I'm watching TV - or might not. I can only do TV quiz shows with multiple choice.
Some HMs More Rs - I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but perhaps not.
CWA-Debut Dagger shortlist. https://thecwa.co.uk/colours/ (Still trying to find my genre - but perhaps it's scifi - and perhaps it's not)

R.A.Krueger1

Postby R.A.Krueger1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:29 am

Hello there! New to the forums. Currently working on my first entry. I'm really excited about it, but concerned it may be too long. I guess we shall see when it's complete. wotf007
Looking forward to chatting with all of you as the quarter progresses!

RSchibler

Postby RSchibler » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:33 am

Don’t worry about length in the first draft. That’s what revision is for! Good luck!
V34: R, HM, R
V35: HM, R, R, HM
V36: R, HM, HM, SHM
V37: HM, P

ALWAYS available for critique. PM me.

https://www.flametreepublishing.com/A-Dying-Planet-Short-Stories-ISBN-9781787557819.html

2020 Writers of the Future Superstars Scholarship recipient

Andy Dibble

Postby Andy Dibble » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:14 am

I find myself using it fairly commonly with a close point of view. Something like: "The plan could go well, or it could go poorly--or lead to disaster" sounds more like real thought and more lyrical than "the plan could go well, poorly, or lead to disaster." Competent writers are typically concise, and readers know this. As a result, verbosity can be powerful, if used sparingly. The same goes for adjectives and adverbs of course.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Today I finished what is either the first or third draft of my story, depending on how you look at it. (The first two docs were VERY rough. This one is at least legible as prose all the way through.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM, R, HM, R, F, SHM, ?, ?

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”