Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
SwiftPotato

Re: Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

Postby SwiftPotato » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Psst: y'all go read this thing from Dave's newsletter if you haven't already! https://mystorydoctor.com/david-farland ... -a-winner/ Important tidbits on what really makes a story stand out to him. Good prose, good structure, surprising word choices, those are important...but it can fall flat without emotional impact.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Stories in Apocalyptic and Cossmass Infinities

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 pm

That's a great little article.
(2014) V31 Q1 – R
(2018) V35 Q3 – HM
(2019) V36 Q3 – HM (published @ Sci-fi Lampoon)
(2019) V36 Q4 – SHM
(2020) V37 Q1 – R
(2020) V37 Q2 – HM
(2020) V37 Q3 – pending
(2020) V37 Q4 – ?

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 am

Checking in...

I have completed my July KYD/Flash based on the "Locked in a Box" prompt.

I have also written two fresh short stories for this quarter (based on expanded versions of 2 KYD Prompts), and have submitted both of them to respectable markets. (Both of these were written for specific themed calls for submission, so I combined the themes with the KYDs and ended up with stories I'm pretty happy with!)

I am revising a previously-written story for the contest this quarter as I feel it's my strongest story. But one of the markets I submitted a fresh story to this month told me they are making decisions by mid-August, so if I get a rejection for that story before the end of the quarter, I may revise it also and then submit whichever is my strongest story to Writers of the Future.
v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, ??

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 am

Got you down, CCrawford! Nice job! :)
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 am

Hey, guys...I've got a virtual book signing happening today! It's at 4PM EST on Zoom. I'm told I'll be reading a section or two from Yellow and Pink, so if you'd like to see exactly how red one human being can get, feel free to pop in and watch/listen/ask questions...
Facebook event here (hyperlinked because the link is ungodly long) and event page here (hyperlinked because it felt inconsistent to not hyperlink...). If you want to jump on and are having issues, don't hesitate to reach out! I'll do my best to help!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:51 am

SwiftPotato wrote:Hey, guys...I've got a virtual book signing happening today! It's at 4PM EST on Zoom. I'm told I'll be reading a section or two from Yellow and Pink, so if you'd like to see exactly how red one human being can get, feel free to pop in and watch/listen/ask questions...
Facebook event here (hyperlinked because the link is ungodly long) and event page here (hyperlinked because it felt inconsistent to not hyperlink...). If you want to jump on and are having issues, don't hesitate to reach out! I'll do my best to help!

Leah won Writers of the Future. I believe every member of this Forum is trying to do the same. Why wouldn't you want to go to this event and ask her how she did it? Even one successful tip can help tip your scales toward success. Be there. And come with questions. Don't let Leah off easy! wotf001

Only hours away!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Wulf Master Class SOLD OUT! Two new ones filling! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm

Oh, I missed it. I woke up and ran over to attend but realized that's 5 AM here and I was too late. Let us know sooner next time! I want to see what a nervous wreck winning turns people into so I have more fuel for motivation!
R.J.K. Lee
2015-2017: 4 HMs, 5 Rs; 2019-2020: 6 Rs, 1 pending
Progress on Goal of 100 rejections in 2020: 44 rejections, 15 pending
Keep writing, revising, submitting! Don't break the circle!

Retropianoplayer

Postby Retropianoplayer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Swift Potato, I was late to the party, but I was there nonetheless. You handled yourself magnificently from what I saw – like the professional you are.
Thanks, again, to my daughter who navigated me through Zoom (what an interesting concept, Zoom). It sure beats rotary phones.

Best,

Retro wotf009
"Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love" - Rule 306
"Never compromise your integrity." LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK by H.J. Browne, Jr.

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:13 pm

I registered but then something came up and I wasn't able to make it! Was it recorded? I'd love to watch it later even though I missed the actual event.

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks, you guys! Yes, I'll definitely post earlier next time. I saw you pop in near the end, Retro! Glad you got in! :) And yes, it was recorded. The people running the show there said they'd shoot us a link to the recording at some point, so I'll pop it up here as soon as I've got it. It was a great time! They had some absolutely fantastic questions.
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

SwiftPotato

Postby SwiftPotato » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Checking in: first story for the quarter written and sent to a respectable market. Longest story I've ever written, but I'm told it needed the word count at 8.5k (and I do tend to write lean, so it got there from 7.9k during critiques). We'll see if this makes a difference in how quickly Charlie rejects me!
R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Wulf Moon

Postby Wulf Moon » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:25 am

Some happy news--I did sell a novelette last week to a pro-paying market. Novelettes are very hard to sell because they take up so much space in publications. This is the second in my career--my first was "Seventh Heaven" in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 2 with Dean Wesley Smith as editor. "Muzik Man" is the title of this one. I'll fill you in once contracts are signed. You'll be able to read it this Fall!

More news! I am commandeering the Monday prompt. This is optional, not required. I'd like to challenge you current challenge beasties and beasties emeritus--SUPER SECRET members from year one AND this current year--to create KYD 250s this week and post them here no later than midnight on Friday. I have my reasons. No critiques on these--I'm still trying to catch up on the last bunch. If I deem yours worthy, you'll be getting additional info privately. If you don't hear from me, close, but no cigar.

As always, keep Q4 in WotF your priority. Last call. Make this your best story evah!

Here's the prompt, although it's more like a thematic call: Positive future SF, NOT fantasy, focused on the East Asia region. Go wild. Don't forget about Heart's Desire, and don't forget your SF element. Title them too, please.

Show me what you got.

Wulf Moon
Associate Editor, Future Science Fiction Digest
Wulf Moon http://driftweave.com
Author page: http://amazon.com/author/wulfmoon
Critter Awards: Wulf Moon BEST AUTHOR 2019; "Super-Duper Moongirl" BEST SF&F STORY 2019.
Wulf Master Class SOLD OUT! Two new ones filling! https://bit.ly/2ZWkuyu

oishisushi911

Postby oishisushi911 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:06 am

Oh, prompt takeover and a public challenge. Sounds fun. Let's do it, fellow pack members. KYD 250s, so we leave them at 250, right?

Congrats on Muzik Man. Somehow, I knew it. Ha. Sounded like you really worked for that one, too.
R.J.K. Lee
2015-2017: 4 HMs, 5 Rs; 2019-2020: 6 Rs, 1 pending
Progress on Goal of 100 rejections in 2020: 44 rejections, 15 pending
Keep writing, revising, submitting! Don't break the circle!

Ania

Postby Ania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:41 am

Hello, everyone!

I have been secretly reading the thread, doing some of the exercises (also secretly), and have been learning a lot. So please, Wulf man, consider reopening admissions to your secret academy!! There are a lot of stalkers out here who would love to go public!

CCrawford

Postby CCrawford » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:27 am

Wulf Moon wrote:Here's the prompt, although it's more like a thematic call: Positive future SF, NOT fantasy, focused on the East Asia region. Go wild. Don't forget about Heart's Desire, and don't forget your SF element. Title them too, please.

This sounds fun... going to start working on ideas today!

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”