Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
RogerLairdWriting

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby RogerLairdWriting » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:13 pm

And the other one is served. Lol. But not ungratefully.

RogerLairdWriting

Postby RogerLairdWriting » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:16 pm

I love the double bind this competition puts me in. I want to know my results but getting them now would mean I didn't make the finals. I hope I do well even though this is my first quarter.

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:36 am

Any results yet? Rejections or HM's? I imagine that's all they've gotten to so far.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

MontyApollo

Postby MontyApollo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 am

Corbin Maxwell wrote:Any results yet? Rejections or HM's? I imagine that's all they've gotten to so far.

The forum here “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items” has a subforum up top named “Quarterly Results” that currently lists one rejection so far from forum members.

Duotrope lists these so far:

1. 121-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1. (outlier)
    2. 130-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1.
    3. 134-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1.
    4. 142-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1.
    5. 76-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
    6. 118-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
    7. 120-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
    8. 127-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
    9. 129-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29. (outlier)
    10. 129-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 28.
    11. 131-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 26. (outlier)
    12. 58-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
    13. 76-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
    14. 124-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
    15. 240-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am

Hmm...flood gates should be opening any day now, right? Eek! *gets back to working on other stories to keep mind distracted during this current calm*
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:34 pm

MontyApollo wrote:
Corbin Maxwell wrote:Any results yet? Rejections or HM's? I imagine that's all they've gotten to so far.

The forum here “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items” has a subforum up top named “Quarterly Results” that currently lists one rejection so far from forum members.

Duotrope lists these so far:

1. 121-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1. (outlier)
    9. 129-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29. (outlier)
    10. 129-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 28.
    11. 131-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 26. (outlier)
    12. 58-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
    13. 76-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
    14. 124-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
    15. 240-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.

Do people track their WOTF results using Duotrope?
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

SF x 1
HM x 10

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:Do people track their WOTF results using Duotrope?

The only real question is how many do. Some people clearly do.

I don't know how I'd cope any more without Duotrope. I once planned and spec'ed building a similar tool for my own use. It wasn't as functional (though it did have a Submissions Calendar that I wish they would add). I did enough of a design to come up with a realistic estimate. It was 500 to 2,000 hours of my "spare" time, plus data entry.

Then I found Duotrope, and I've never looked back.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Last I checked there were something like 128 pending WOTF submissions listed on Duotrope (if you are logged in when you look at the market details, you'll see lots of juicy details), though admittedly some of those may be from last quarter, and some from next quarter, so the number for a given quarter is probably smaller. And I suppose someone might list a submission and then get bored of Duotrope (or writing) and never come back to update it with their results, so the numbers could be misleading that way too. Really, though, I can't imagine who would take the time to list a sub. and then not follow through on it. Closure anyone?
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote:

Last I checked there were something like 128 pending WOTF submissions listed on Duotrope (if you are logged in when you look at the market details, you'll see lots of juicy details), though admittedly some of those may be from last quarter, and some from next quarter, so the number for a given quarter is probably smaller. And I suppose someone might list a submission and then get bored of Duotrope (or writing) and never come back to update it with their results, so the numbers could be misleading that way too. Really, though, I can't imagine who would take the time to list a sub. and then not follow through on it. Closure anyone?

Some people don't like to click the "form rejection" button, and just pretend it's not there instead.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Well I'm just curious to see where we are in the process for this quarter. So far I'm good; of course that ol' email could be waiting for me at home, that old familiar friend of either rejection or HM.

SF x 1
HM x 10

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Corbin Maxwell wrote:Well I'm just curious to see where we are in the process for this quarter. So far I'm good; of course that ol' email could be waiting for me at home, that old familiar friend of either rejection or HM.

Corbin,

I ran a quick-and-dirty analysis based on WOTF and Duotrope data about two days ago. Since then a few more people started tracking their results on Duotrope and there was a 14th rejection added. The bottom line is that I project only about 12% of 1Q29 rejections have been sent out. You can follow my logic here:

http://reflectionsofarationalrepublican ... st-update/

While I run a political blog, I promise there is nothing political in the post I've linked to here.

I hope this helps.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:12 pm

hazlett wrote:
Corbin Maxwell wrote:Well I'm just curious to see where we are in the process for this quarter. So far I'm good; of course that ol' email could be waiting for me at home, that old familiar friend of either rejection or HM.

Corbin,

I ran a quick-and-dirty analysis based on WOTF and Duotrope data about two days ago. Since then a few more people started tracking their results on Duotrope and there was a 14th rejection added. The bottom line is that I project only about 12% of 1Q29 rejections have been sent out. You can follow my logic here:

http://reflectionsofarationalrepublican ... st-update/

While I run a political blog, I promise there is nothing political in the post I've linked to here.

I hope this helps.

I just reran the numbers based on the 15 rejections currently on Duotrope (The original analysis only included 13 and had slightly fewer pending responses). I now estimate 13% of the rejections have gone out, assuming the crew at Duotrope is fairly representative of the broader WOTF contestant population.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

hazlett wrote:I just reran the numbers based on the 15 rejections currently on Duotrope (The original analysis only included 13 and had slightly fewer pending responses). I now estimate 13% of the rejections have gone out, assuming the crew at Duotrope is fairly representative of the broader WOTF contestant population.

I'm not sure I follow the "fewer pending responses." We can't tell, as far as I can see, how many of those pending responses on Duotrope are for Q1 or Q2... Am I missing something? wotf005
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:28 pm

morshana wrote:
hazlett wrote:I just reran the numbers based on the 15 rejections currently on Duotrope (The original analysis only included 13 and had slightly fewer pending responses). I now estimate 13% of the rejections have gone out, assuming the crew at Duotrope is fairly representative of the broader WOTF contestant population.

I'm not sure I follow the "fewer pending responses." We can't tell, as far as I can see, how many of those pending responses on Duotrope are for Q1 or Q2... Am I missing something? wotf005

Nope. That's a completely fair characterization. The analysis assumes that all of the pending responses are for 1Q29. A better way to put it is that the worst case is that only 12% (I mistyped 13% in my last post) of rejections have been sent out. If 75% of the pending responses were for 1Q29, that number would increase to 15%. At 50%, it would be 23%.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 pm

hazlett wrote:Nope. That's a completely fair characterization. The analysis assumes that all of the pending responses are for 1Q29. A better way to put it is that the worst case is that only 12% (I mistyped 13% in my last post) of rejections have been sent out. If 75% of the pending responses were for 1Q29, that number would increase to 15%. At 50%, it would be 23%.

That'll be hard to estimate. I, for example, have already listed my Q2. And I didn't unlist my Q4 until I received my Semi-Finalist critique. If the timing had been different, I might've had Duotrope entries for three different quarters at the same time. And I'll bet two at a time is pretty common.

NNiNN

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
hazlett wrote:Nope. That's a completely fair characterization. The analysis assumes that all of the pending responses are for 1Q29. A better way to put it is that the worst case is that only 12% (I mistyped 13% in my last post) of rejections have been sent out. If 75% of the pending responses were for 1Q29, that number would increase to 15%. At 50%, it would be 23%.

That'll be hard to estimate. I, for example, have already listed my Q2. And I didn't unlist my Q4 until I received my Semi-Finalist critique. If the timing had been different, I might've had Duotrope entries for three different quarters at the same time. And I'll bet two at a time is pretty common.

The good news is that you can look at the number of max days pending status for all the submissions and subtract it from the current date. If the date at which you arrive is later than 9/30/2011, then you know all the submissions are 1Q29. Since the max days pending is 148, that puts the longest waiting submission at 10/10/2011 - safely in 1Q29 or 2Q29. Now figuring out which rejections fit into what pile definitely has the problem you are talking about, but we're only talking about 2-3 other entries.

A better analysis would be to do a two-by-two matrix taking into account the range of rejections (say 15 to 18) and a percentage of the total number of submission in 1Q29 (say 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%). Then you can get a range within a reasonable order of magnitude.

BTW, as I say all this, five more rejections just hit Duotrope. Here is a running tally:

1. 94-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 7.
2. 99-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 7.
3. 100-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 7.
4. 97-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 6.
5. 106-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 6.
6. 121-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1. (outlier)
7. 130-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1.
8. 134-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1.
9. 142-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on March 1.
10. 76-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
11. 111-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
12. 118-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
13. 120-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
14. 127-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29.
15. 129-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 29. (outlier)
16. 129-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 28.
17. 131-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 26. (outlier)
18. 58-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
19. 76-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
20. 124-day form rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
21. 240-day rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 22.
22. 142-day personal rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 15.
23. 442-day personal rejection from Writers of the Future Contest on February 5. (outlier)
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:07 pm

All I have to say is this...

"Never tell me the odds."

Even though I'm the 94 Day Form Rejection at the top of the list...
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

MedicalAuthor

Postby MedicalAuthor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:51 am

Seems that the rejections are going out in order of submissions received (as none of them are 60~ day rejections), which makes sense.

Also means I can't infer anything from a lack of email until the very end of rejection mailings.

How long is the period usually? Over a few days or a few weeks?

madison

Postby madison » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 am

My rejection was in this first flush. I still think my story was a good one, but maybe the topic isn't right for the contest. Anyway, it's already headed to some other slush pile ;) Good luck to the rest of you!

gwasch

Postby gwasch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:09 am

Aaagh. Less analysis, more writing! Best to just forget about it and write until you get the phone call. (Trust me, I'm antsy as can be. Being a non-published finalist just makes you think that every single quarter is a victory waiting to explode.)

And as someone who went from finalist to flat reject in two quarters, all the rejection notices make me nervous. T_T

steffenwolf

Postby steffenwolf » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:23 am

Condolences to those who've gotten rejections thus far!

If last quarter is any judge, she'll read all the e-submissions before the mailed, so Luddites like myself probably have a while to wait yet.
David Steffen
Visit Diabolical Plots for interviews, reviews, and much more:
http://www.diabolicalplots.com

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 am

Ditto on the condolences. More to come, of course, but that's the way the game goes. I'll likely be posting an R on the results thread before long, too. But the important thing is I'm really happy about the story I'm finishing up now--always looking forward!
Patrick S. McGinnity

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:53 am

gwasch wrote:Aaagh. Less analysis, more writing! Best to just forget about it and write until you get the phone call. (Trust me, I'm antsy as can be. Being a non-published finalist just makes you think that every single quarter is a victory waiting to explode.)

And as someone who went from finalist to flat reject in two quarters, all the rejection notices make me nervous. T_T

Excellent advice and observations!

NNiNN

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:03 am

MedicalAuthor wrote:Seems that the rejections are going out in order of submissions received (as none of them are 60~ day rejections), which makes sense.

Also means I can't infer anything from a lack of email until the very end of rejection mailings.

How long is the period usually? Over a few days or a few weeks?

It depends on the quarter. Last quarter, there were several separate chunks of R/HM mailings spread out over the course of a few weeks, and then a long silence before the semi-finalists and finalists were announced.

I'm not sure the rejections are going out entirely in order of submissions received. The duotrope listing does generally conform to that trend, but there were a few ~120-day form rejections on the 29th of February.

Anyway, as Martin's fond of saying:
wotf024 wotf024 wotf024 wotf024 wotf024

Oops, that's not right. Let me try that again.

As Martin's fond of saying, WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE!

(Edit: I think I'm entirely wrong in interpreting that smiley as a little dude with his fist in the air and a determined expression on his face. It's probably just supposed to be "I have a question." Well, whatever. :p )
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 am

s_c_baker wrote:(Edit: I think I'm entirely wrong in interpreting that smiley as a little dude with his fist in the air and a determined expression on his face. It's probably just supposed to be "I have a question." Well, whatever. :p )

Well, his name is "fistinair" (mouse-hover on him). And for what it's worth (which, granted, no es mucho), I've always interpreted him that way, too.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 am

Grayson Morris wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:(Edit: I think I'm entirely wrong in interpreting that smiley as a little dude with his fist in the air and a determined expression on his face. It's probably just supposed to be "I have a question." Well, whatever. :p )

Well, his name is "fistinair" (mouse-hover on him). And for what it's worth (which, granted, no es mucho), I've always interpreted him that way, too.

Good enough for me.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 am

MontyApollo wrote:

What I can't figure on the Duotrope listings is how on earth they are calculating outliers. 121 days is an outlier, but 142 days isn't? I feel like I'm missing something.

wotf017
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:What I can't figure on the Duotrope listings is how on earth they are calculating outliers. 121 days is an outlier, but 142 days isn't? I feel like I'm missing something.

Their explanation of outliers in the FAQ seems to imply that the algorithm they use can determine that a particular response is an outlier for a lot of complex reasons (they aren't terribly specific). It could be almost anything, I suppose. They ask for story length, genre, etc. when you initially post a sub, so it is possible that things as picayune as that could have an effect on the determination of something as an outlier. I don't understand much beyond basic algebra so I don't ask too many detailed questions, but the gist of the response to the FAQ on outliers was this: it is complicated, and it isn't a big deal, fuggedaboutit.
Patrick S. McGinnity

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 am

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote:
Rebecca Birch wrote:What I can't figure on the Duotrope listings is how on earth they are calculating outliers. 121 days is an outlier, but 142 days isn't? I feel like I'm missing something.

Their explanation of outliers in the FAQ seems to imply that the algorithm they use can determine that a particular response is an outlier for a lot of complex reasons (they aren't terribly specific). It could be almost anything, I suppose. They ask for story length, genre, etc. when you initially post a sub, so it is possible that things as picayune as that could have an effect on the determination of something as an outlier. I don't understand much beyond basic algebra so I don't ask too many detailed questions, but the gist of the response to the FAQ on outliers was this: it is complicated, and it isn't a big deal, fuggedaboutit.

Works for me!

wotf007
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:40 am

(Trust me, I'm antsy as can be. Being a non-published finalist just makes you think that every single quarter is a victory waiting to explode.)

Me too!

However, I will say that if/when I get a rejection, I'd much prefer it not be Q1 because this is my first entry after my finalist. An R would hurt whenever, but it would hurt most this time.

"Hey, you're great!"

"Not."
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”