Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
francisbruno

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby francisbruno » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:41 am

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote:
francisbruno wrote:Waiting on the next batch of Rejections. Should be today or tomorrow.
Have any HM's gone out yet?

Good call! How did you nail it? Was it the same pattern before, or were you just playing the odds that after several quiet days, something had to happen soon?

Granted I've only been watching since I first entered in Q4, but, it looks like there are 2-3 rounds of rejections/ HM's made on Wed/Thursday (probably wed.) for a period of 2-3 weeks. I suspect given where we are at in the quarter, there will be one more round next week then the semi's will be notified, followed by the finalists.

Looks like I survived this round of cuts (crosses fingers)
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:20 am

Aw, sorry you guys who got hit this round! But, isn't it great that you can just try over and over until you're a pro?
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 am

MJNL wrote:Aw, sorry you guys who got hit this round! But, isn't it great that you can just try over and over until you're a pro?

Thanks for the big-picture optimism blast, Marina. wotf008

I'm not worrying too much. I knew that this one was a stretch. Those Rs are definitely easier when they're expected.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 am

Sorry to hear it Brenlea and Rebecca. Ah well, on to the next market (and the next quarter), right?
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

AlistairKimble

Postby AlistairKimble » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:47 am

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections Rebecca and Brenlea. wotf014

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 am

Commiserations all around.

*uploads +3 Brownies of Consolation*

(I'm saving the +5 Tequila of Oblivion for when I get my own R)
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 am

Ooooh, what do folks get for OTHER results? Say I get a silver HM....could I score a triple-fudge caramel cake? Semi....a year's supply of tequila and triple sec? Finalist....a hundred hours of massage and a lifetime supply of chocolate fudge brownies?

*wipes unsightly drool off keyboard*

On second thought, how about all that for everything HM and below? Seeing as that's my most likely niche.

BTW, you are definitely in for at LEAST an HM, Kary. And quite possibly higher. <--- She write good storee!
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 am

Finalists get +4 Pistachio Poundcake of Envy (cuz it's green) and +3 Tenterhook Ganache wotf004

For Semis, I'm thinking, + 3 Semi-Sweet Mousse of Encouragement with a dollop of +2 Bechamel of Next Time sauce

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 am

Well, those are totally much more appropriate rewards than I was considering. Still, anyone who wants to send me triple-fudge caramel anything, please, don't hold back. I also accept anonymous bottles of tequila and, frankly, most other high-proof beverages.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 am

Re: high-proof beverages - I have a shirt that says "Dequila: when denial alone just won't cut it."

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 am

In case you wondered what a Mousse of Encouragement looks like...

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:55 am

Kary James wrote:In case you wondered what a Mousse of Encouragement looks like...

MY EYES!!!
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 am

Euhhhh....can I skip semifinalist, then? (Or is it a cunningly lifelike chocolate replica?)

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:01 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:
Kary James wrote:In case you wondered what a Mousse of Encouragement looks like...

MY EYES!!!

EEK!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:06 am

I don't know if I could eat that if it was chocolate.

I think because of the teeth.

And maybe the eyes...

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:11 am

Oooooooooohhhh, I can eat most anything chocolate. Then again, I learned to ignore nasty mental images as a child, when elementary school bullies would taunt me with all the gross-out things they imagined were in my sandwiches. Yeah....I was That Kid.

So: tell me it's super-dark choco-latte, and I am totally there, even if it looks like a newborn baby.

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 am

My mom's sister got my mom to eat a chocolate bar and THEN told her to go look in the mirror. Not fun to see all the ants all over your teeth.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

dantzel

Postby dantzel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 am

Okay Grayson, you are actually echoing one of my characters in my current novel - can you tell me more about what the kids said? And could you define what kind of kid you were? I will totally give credit when the book sells. :)
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

http://www.dantzelcherry.com

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:34 am

yum chocolate babies! I seem to have a weakness for those chocolate wafers. I might be able to ignore the teeth and eyes if it was made of the wafers.

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am

dantzel wrote:Okay Grayson, you are actually echoing one of my characters in my current novel - can you tell me more about what the kids said? And could you define what kind of kid you were? I will totally give credit when the book sells. :)

Euhhhh....they referred often to poop (in less lovely terms, not that poop is particularly lovely or anything). I was an autistic kid. Back in the early seventies (I was born in 1967), "autistic" meant "head-banging, poop-smearing, doesn't-talk," so I never got a diagnosis. (For the record, I did some poop-smearing at age two. Just imagine how happy my mother was. Oh, yeah.) I was just "morbidly shy" (but good academically, and meek in class, which meant no one was particularly concerned about me). The dots didn't connect until my eldest was diagnosed with Asperger's nearly ten years ago.

If any of this helps, please feel free to shoot me a PM, and we can continue talking via e-mail.

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am

When I lived in Marin, there was this little chocolate shop that sold hollow chocolate frogs filled with peanut butter. We used to head over there on Saturdays just for the froggies. :)

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:47 am

Kary James wrote:When I lived in Marin, there was this little chocolate shop that sold hollow chocolate frogs filled with peanut butter. We used to head over there on Saturdays just for the froggies. :)

Hey...I have a plan...MOVE BACK, and send me care packages.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 am

Thank goodness I've got my Weight Watchers forum to visit after this one. Candy cravings are now going off the charts ...

wotf013
Rebecca Birch
Words of Birch

Corbin Maxwell

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm

And so we conclude another day of waiting for results.
For there is death in the sound of it, and a glamorous fatality, like silver pennons downrushing at sunset, or a dying fall of horns along the road to Ronceveaux.

The only easy day was yesterday.

SF x 1
HM x 10

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Condolences, Kevin. As Stoppard's player said (a bit out of context), "Look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else." Get it back out there right away!
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

preston

Postby preston » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:44 pm

No HM's yet? Hmmmm...might be another tough quarter. I noticed that last quarter the HM list was a little shorter than usual. Maybe KD's upping the bar a bit. A pat on the back to all who have received rejections already. I've had my share. Still no news for me yet, but I'm a chronic last minute paper submitter, which seems to have put me consistently at the end of the pack, at least as far as results are concerned. Can't wait to see which one of you guys gets the first HM. I love this part. It's so awesome to see who places and to share the excitement. Won't be long now. I can smell results from here. They smell gooooood! I think I have a good chance of getting a certificate this time...I really do. But it's getting hard to keep my hopes up. I have big hopes and they're starting to get heavy. Heave! Heave! Heave!
Preston Dennett
HM x 2

PS: Keep up the great posts guys. I'm not a super-frequent poster, but I lurk like nobody's business. Can't tell you how inspiring, funny and informative the posts are. It's like going to a party and hanging out with friends. I love it!
wotf010

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 pm

*hands out a yummy chocolate brownie to all who have received rejections so far*
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Is it me, or is it odd that only 9 of us have heard anything so far? Eight if you count that Francis was reporting for a friend of his who doesn't post here. And no HMs yet. That seems odd to me, too. Of course, this is my first results season where I have a horse in the race, so maybe I'm just ignorant of how things go.

There are 40-odd responses on Duotrope, and the figure I read is 10 - 12 entrants who are not on Duotrope for every one response who is. So that's 400 - 500 responses so far. Maybe we're only halfway through the results? Maybe HMs are coming out all at once at the end instead of together with Rs?

Maybe I should stop obsessing? wotf009

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Kary James wrote:Is it me, or is it odd that only 9 of us have heard anything so far? Eight if you count that Francis was reporting for a friend of his who doesn't post here. And no HMs yet. That seems odd to me, too. Of course, this is my first results season where I have a horse in the race, so maybe I'm just ignorant of how things go.

There are 40-odd responses on Duotrope, and the figure I read is 10 - 12 entrants who are not on Duotrope for every one response who is. So that's 400 - 500 responses so far. Maybe we're only halfway through the results? Maybe HMs are coming out all at once at the end instead of together with Rs?

Maybe I should stop obsessing? wotf009

I've been thinking, and I could be wrong, that she is doing all the rejections first this quarter. Then she is going to sit down and read through all the rest and send out all the HMs. OR, she already has most of the HMs but is holding onto them until they're all done and can be sent out in batches, right before Semi's and Finalists are announced. *shrug* I'm guessing she's holding off on everything that isn't rejected to read later. Of course, I could be proven wrong tomorrow...
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Kary usually the forecast is showers of rejections, followed by a storm of them. We get a cold front (no news) then a break in the clouds, HM's spring from the ground with the occasional sprinkles of left over rejections. Then a random sunny day where we get news of Semi's. Then it is hot and heavy, endless summer of waiting to find out who ARE the Finalists. Then the winners are announced and we throw a pool party! Then I look outside and it look warm and wonderful...but it is a tricky trick jet stream, frigid. It got cold again and I forgot my coat. My next entry is out and I see the rain clouds gathering in the distance.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”