Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
hazlett

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby hazlett » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:I don't have a semi to my credit but if you're predicting the future, that's not a bad way to go about it.

I'm thinking of sending everyone on that list a PM. How cruel would that be?

Fixed... wotf009
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 pm

I have 5 HMs....
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:12 pm

AMcCarter wrote:I have 5 HMs....

Man was I sloppy. Fixed...
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:18 pm

You shouldn't post next quarters entry on this site. It'll disqualify you.
It would certainly make the start of an interesting story...
And then there were none...
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

gwasch

Postby gwasch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:20 pm

I don't know my exact stats. Because there were like, two entries I made as a teen (one of which was a QF) and then I backed off for like five years.... now I've lost track of the HMs because really who's counting after you hit finalist. o0 Even a SF would be a little embarrassing, if it contained similar crits to the last one. . .

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Pure unadulterated AWESOMESAUCE. That's what this is. :)

hazlett wrote:"BLACK SIX, This is BLACK ONE, SITREP follows. Prepare to copy, OVER..."

"BLACK ONE. BLACK SIX. SEND IT..."

"BLACK ONE PLATOON has TWO-EIGHT survivors. I SAY AGAIN, TWO-EIGHT survivors.."

"I COPY TWO-EIGHT survivors. How many combat veterans remain, OVER?"

"BLACK SIX. BLACK ONE. ONE-FOUR combat vets remain...List follows, OVER."

"SEND IT."

"BLACK SIX. BLACK ONE. Prepare to copy:

Tina (gower21)
Corbin (1xF, 2xSF, 7xHM)
Francis Bruno (1xSF)
Amanda McCarter (1xSF, 1xSHM, 5xHM)
Martin Shoemaker (1xF, 1xSF, 2xHM)
Izanobu (1xSF, 2xSHM, 6xHM)
Grayson (3xHM)
Marina (2xF, 2xHM)
Kary
Dustin (1xF, 2xHM)
Jennifer Hicks (1xSF, 1xSHM, 6xHM)
Justin Key (medicalauthor)
Alex Kane (3xHM)
anarresti
permanentnovice
joshpotter
hazlett
george.nik
The Happy Snappy Gator (1xSF, 2xHM)
bwthomson
greenroom (1xHM)
Isto
Preston (2xHM)
Patrick S. McGinnity
Serrain
MontyApollo (1xHM)
gwasch"

"BLACK ONE. BLACK SIX. Duotrope scouts report 58 KIA out of ~100 friendlies in Alpha Company....BREAK....S2 projects 90 total KIA....BREAK...Battalion estimates 32 more KIA in the company...BREAK...Expect SEVEN-SIX percent KIA rate in what's left of your platoon...BREAK...Or TWO-ONE more casualties...BREAK...Recommend vets pair with newbies and watch their sixes. ACKNOWLEDGE, OVER..."

"BLACK SIX. BLACK ONE. ACKNOWLEDGED. OVER..."

"BLACK ONE. BLACK SIX. Charlie Mike. BLACK SIX OUT."
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

MedicalAuthor

Postby MedicalAuthor » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Seems there was only a stirring of waters today, rather than a wave.

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:10 pm

My guessomancy picks are still in the race. At least I can pick people to hang around the competition.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Black One, as often as I read your list I only copy two-seven, repeat, two-seven names. Over.

On a happier note, looking at last quarter's results, I see 16 names that I recognize from the forum. Given that a. many people here don't post under the real names so I don't actually know the real (or pen anyway) names of quite a few and b. I've only been in the forum the last 3 months and many haven't posted at all during this period so I don't know them either, I believe that at least 20 forumites are in last quarter's list.
So it's quite possible that many of us still standing will make it to the HMs at least.
I know this will be small consolation to those of us who will be taken down just before the coming of the dawn, but it's all I have to offer right now. If we fall, at least we'll know that many of us will make it.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:35 am

And now, while Good Martin is fast asleep, Evil Martin wotf013 grabs the keyboard to add fuel to the fire with a comment by Jerry Pournelle (emphasis added):

Much of the day was devoured by locusts again, and more work piles up. And I have to make ready for the big conference in Colorado Springs next Monday and Tuesday; Space Command is having a conference/symposium. I also have contest finals to judge, housekeeping stuff, errands, and I have been trying to throw out junk as we do excavation down to the layers that accumulated when I was getting my hard x-ray treatment. And they have scheduled another MRI which ought to be routine.

Hmmm... I wonder what "contest finals" that might be? Hmmm...

Say, didn't I hear somewhere that Dr. Pournelle was a judge for this contest in Q1 last year? (In fact, didn't I hear somewhere that Jerry Pournelle looooooved my story?)

I suppose it's possible that he's writing about future work, with stories arriving at some unspecified time yet to come; but it suuuuuure reads to me like he has "contest finals to judge" now.

Of course, it's also possible that he's discussing the Grand Prize selection process; but given that the gala is 17 days away, I kinda think that has to be decided already, since the volume should be at the printers well before this.

So I think the most likely interpretation is that Dr. Pournelle currently has "contest finals" in hand for some contest that is wrapping up judging right around, oh, the end of this quarter. I can't imagine what contest that might be...

Oops! What's that? The alarm clock? Good Martin wants to go to the Y and burn off some calories?

Ommmmm... Ommmmm... Ommmmm... Ommmmm... Ommmmm...
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:37 am

Kary James wrote:Put it in.

Take it out,

Put it in.

Keep it in.

Oh dear. My junior-high giggly mechanism seems to have been activated.

Are we really debating whether or not the word penis is acceptable? It's a medical term for Pete's sake.

AMcCarter wrote:Dammit, Critters. Would you stop blowing up my inbox? Yer makin' me nervous.

Seriously! (And I'm not even in Q1!)

Say, didn't I hear somewhere that Dr. Pournelle was a judge for this contest in Q1 last year? (In fact, didn't I hear somewhere that Jerry Pournelle looooooved my story?)

wotf019 wotf010

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:44 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:And now, while Good Martin is fast asleep, Evil Martin wotf013 grabs the keyboard to add fuel to the fire with a comment by Jerry Pournelle (emphasis added):

Much of the day was devoured by locusts again, and more work piles up. And I have to make ready for the big conference in Colorado Springs next Monday and Tuesday; Space Command is having a conference/symposium. I also have contest finals to judge, housekeeping stuff, errands, and I have been trying to throw out junk as we do excavation down to the layers that accumulated when I was getting my hard x-ray treatment. And they have scheduled another MRI which ought to be routine.

I suppose it's possible that he's writing about future work, with stories arriving at some unspecified time yet to come; but it suuuuuure reads to me like he has "contest finals to judge" now.

Of course, it's also possible that he's discussing the Grand Prize selection process; but given that the gala is 17 days away, I kinda think that has to be decided already, since the volume should be at the printers well before this.

So I think the most likely interpretation is that Dr. Pournelle currently has "contest finals" in hand for some contest that is wrapping up judging right around, oh, the end of this quarter. I can't imagine what contest that might be...

Oops! What's that? The alarm clock? Good Martin wants to go to the Y and burn off some calories?

Ouch! Martin, you've got to keep closer tabs on that guy (evil Martin, not Pournelle, although come to think of it, I'm glad someone's keeping tabs on him too). That is just uncalled for, and I for one, am not going to stand for it!

Although, it means it could just be possible, that right now, at this very moment, Dr. Pournelle is tearfully finishing my story for the eighth time in a row since he picked it up last night before bed. Perhaps he stayed up all night reading it over and over, desperate to solve the riddle of how this nobody's story had so deeply affected him, changed his worldview forever. That it is the winner is beyond a doubt, the only question left in his mind is, how can he go on writing after this?

Or he might have been referring to another contest entirely, or to the expected work in the near future.

On a more objective note, it would be cool if everyone found out at the same time, from rejections all the way up to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Although the mass of e-mails required in a day would probably put poor Joni in a home.

Ah well. Onward!
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:47 am

Strycher wrote:

wotf019 wotf010

Evil Martin thought it had been an entire quarter or more since I noted that, and he thought that had to be rectified.

NNiNN

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:49 am

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote:Although, it means it could just be possible, that right now, at this very moment, Dr. Pournelle is tearfully finishing my story for the eighth time in a row since he picked it up last night before bed. Perhaps he stayed up all night reading it over and over, desperate to solve the riddle of how this nobody's story had so deeply affected him, changed his worldview forever. That it is the winner is beyond a doubt, the only question left in his mind is, how can he go on writing after this?

wotf019 Oh goodness it's going to be a giggly morning. <3

As a side note, I'll allow that scenario.

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 am

george nik. wrote:Black One, as often as I read your list I only copy two-seven, repeat, two-seven names. Over.

On a happier note, looking at last quarter's results, I see 16 names that I recognize from the forum. Given that a. many people here don't post under the real names so I don't actually know the real (or pen anyway) names of quite a few and b. I've only been in the forum the last 3 months and many haven't posted at all during this period so I don't know them either, I believe that at least 20 forumites are in last quarter's list.
So it's quite possible that many of us still standing will make it to the HMs at least.
I know this will be small consolation to those of us who will be taken down just before the coming of the dawn, but it's all I have to offer right now. If we fall, at least we'll know that many of us will make it.

Thanks for catching that. It turns out the count was right, but I missed Dame when I was cutting and pasting the results. The oversight has been corrected. Sorry.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8

Isto

Postby Isto » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 am

Wouldn't that imply that the finalists already know who they are and are just keeping quiet like good mice? And, yes, you are BAD. BAD, I say. Just when I had the whole OMMMM thing going. Now you've got my paranoid juices
flowing again and I'll have to pop another Thorazine!
- Isto
R-R-Semi

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:15 am

That wasn't me, that was Evil Martin! You can tell by the smiley! I abhor smilies...

There's no law that says they can't send to judges before notifying Finalists. But yes, if Finalists have been notified, they're supposed to stay mum. Which is why I choose to preemptively stay mum, so that nothing can be deduced from my mumness.

NNiNN

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:15 am

IMHO, it wouldn't imply that the finalists necessarily know who they are, just that Monsieur Pournelle is either in possession of the relevant entries, or at least knows they are incoming.

BUT - unless I am mistaken, we've not ever had it confirmed that the Gold Winner is picked ahead of the gala. For all we know, he's judging last year's winners to pick who gets the gold.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 am

Kary James wrote:IMHO, it wouldn't imply that the finalists necessarily know who they are, just that Monsieur Pournelle is either in possession of the relevant entries, or at least knows they are incoming.

BUT - unless I am mistaken, we've not ever had it confirmed that the Gold Winner is picked ahead of the gala. For all we know, he's judging last year's winners to pick who gets the gold.

My guess is (as in Evil Martin's comment) that since the Gold Winner is announced in the anthology that is distributed right after the gala, it has to be selected enough in advance to make the lead time at the printer. And my further guess is that 17 days is not enough lead time for that. But not knowing the particulars about their printing process, I could be wrong. Maybe 17 days is sufficient lead time.

NNiNN

AlistairKimble

Postby AlistairKimble » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 am

Hey everyone, luckily I've been free of rejectomancy and duotropery this past week (at a Kris and Dean workshop, and those typically devour all your time), but I'll add my commiserations for those who were taken out in that last round.

But, I'm still in for Q1 as well.

And if we're adding to the pile of past performance, I'll toss my very mixed bag into it:

1x Finalist
1x HM
A boat load of Rs.

Pat R Steiner

Postby Pat R Steiner » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:37 am

Is the Gold Winner announced in the anthology? I don't have a copy handy . . . could someone check? I don't recall that being the case.

As a potential Gold Winner for illustration, I thought the judges wouldn't get to see/read the stories/illustrations until after the final edits were completed on the stories (I think the writers finished those sometime in early March) and the illustrations got their final check off by the art director (which for us occured at the end of February).

I'm betting that KD is still sifting through the Q1 stories.

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
Kary James wrote:IMHO, it wouldn't imply that the finalists necessarily know who they are, just that Monsieur Pournelle is either in possession of the relevant entries, or at least knows they are incoming.

My guess is (as in Evil Martin's comment) that since the Gold Winner is announced in the anthology that is distributed right after the gala, it has to be selected enough in advance to make the lead time at the printer. And my further guess is that 17 days is not enough lead time for that. But not knowing the particulars about their printing process, I could be wrong. Maybe 17 days is sufficient lead time.
Pat R. Steiner

IotF: Winner Q3 v28, 1x - Semi-Finalist
WotF: 3x -HM, 13x -Rejection

Kilroy Wasn't There in Qualia Nous
God Eye at the Grantville Gazette vol. 53
Enlarge Your Tentacles, Overnight!

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:40 am

Actually, if I'm recalling correctly, the gold awards aren't printed in the anthology. And the winners get to see the antho before the gala when they do a tour at Author Services.

So, I'm guessing if he was referring to this contest he probably was talking about judging for the gold award.
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote: And now, while Good Martin is fast asleep, Evil Martin wotf013 grabs the keyboard to add fuel to the fire with a comment by Jerry Pournelle (emphasis added):

Is Evil Martin somehow related to Mischievious Gator? wotf005

Isn't the selection of the Gold Winner restricted to first place winners only? It's possible Mr. Pournelle is being imprecise, but he specifically refers to "finals" not "winners," so my guess is the man means what he says. Which makes me wonder...

But I didn't seriously expect to reach the finals with this one anyway. wotf017
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:47 am

Hey, Martin - do you know who your judges were *aside* from Jerry Pournelle?

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 am

I know who two of my judges were for Q2 vol 27--but seeing as how that was two years ago, I'm not sure it'll help any data points: Tim Powers and Jerry Pournelle.

Look, we can try to track Mr. Pournelle's movements! Ah, the illusive migratory patterns of Contest Judges.
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:55 am

Kary James wrote:Hey, Martin - do you know who your judges were *aside* from Jerry Pournelle?

Nope! Just that one brief comment from Joni, something for me to cling to when the Writing Gods seem to hate me...

NNiNN

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:00 am

Interesting, Marina, thanks! One of my favorite non-productive things to noodle over is how the panel make-up might influence whether a certain quarter will be more (or less) friendly to fantasy over sci-fi. Conventional wisdom for this contest is that they get more fantasy entries, so it's harder to win with fantasy - and I write more fantasy than SF.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 am

The secret pattern... There is no pattern... ...probably applies less to selection and judging. But man, it would drive me crazy trying to puzzle it out!

NNiNN

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:05 am

Kary James wrote:Interesting, Marina, thanks! One of my favorite non-productive things to noodle over is how the panel make-up might influence whether a certain quarter will be more (or less) friendly to fantasy over sci-fi. Conventional wisdom for this contest is that they get more fantasy entries, so it's harder to win with fantasy - and I write more fantasy than SF.

I wonder about this too, because they get little hard SF and I know at least one of the judges is inclined toward hard SF . . . But I don't write that. And they never tell us who the judges are for a given quarter. (A smart move on their part I think.)

And YOU Martin! This is no place for logic!

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote: And now, while Good Martin is fast asleep, Evil Martin wotf013 grabs the keyboard to add fuel to the fire with a comment by Jerry Pournelle (emphasis added):

Is Evil Martin somehow related to Mischievious Gator? wotf005

Long lost twin cousins, I'm sure.

NNiNN

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”