Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Martin L. Shoemaker

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm

gower21 wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:In Tina's case for Q1, I believe the "A" stood for "Agonizing". I want her to win just so she can tell that story in her acceptance speech!

Thanks! I'd be sure to mention you too (who is also out in the audience for winning as well) since you kept cheering me on and finding our local 24hr post office. Makes it more dramatic that it was New Years.

Problem is: I want you to win for the awesome acceptance speech; I want Annie to win because she's pro'ing out and I think she deserves a win; I want Dr. Phil to win because of his incredible perseverance; and I want to win. There's a math difficulty there...
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
gower21 wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:In Tina's case for Q1, I believe the "A" stood for "Agonizing". I want her to win just so she can tell that story in her acceptance speech!

Thanks! I'd be sure to mention you too (who is also out in the audience for winning as well) since you kept cheering me on and finding our local 24hr post office. Makes it more dramatic that it was New Years.

Problem is: I want you to win for the awesome acceptance speech; I want Annie to win because she's pro'ing out and I think she deserves a win; I want Dr. Phil to win because of his incredible perseverance; and I want to win. There's a math difficulty there...

Well we have to let Annie win. The rest of us can duke it out over the remaining quarters. I can reserve my speech for another quarter, it'll still be funny.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:50 pm

gower21 wrote:Well we have to let Annie win. The rest of us can duke it out over the remaining quarters. I can reserve my speech for another quarter, it'll still be funny.

No one LETS Annie win anything! She TAKES it. She doesn't let anything stop her that I can see.

Even if I never win, I already have "prizes" from this contest in the form of lessons...

* From Brad, on how to build on opportunities, grab momentum, and run with it.

* From Annie, on how to think and act like a professional, not an aspirant.

* From Dr. Phil, on how to persevere.

* From Meghan, on how to keep up enthusiasm and energy.

And that's just the start of my list!

NNiNN

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:26 pm

You rang?

Someone said my name at least 3 times...

Anyway... I doubt I'll win. But you can also root for me to win because no one else is going to get up on stage covered in tattoos with a 10 inch blue mohawk...

(It's only around 3 inches right now, but I'm growing it. By this time next year, it should be 10 inches. It also doesn't have to be blue. If I win, I'll take votes on colors. I also only have 4 tats at the moment, but might have at least one sleeve started by next year, especially if I win...)

And, sadly, things do stop me. I haven't written a single word in almost two weeks. Apparently my grandmother dying combined with crushing depression combined with computer failure will actually cause writers block. But I'm 20k away from the end of a novel that is due at my copyeditor's by May 7th... so... I better get unstuck really fast or I'll be losing a deposit I'm expecting that novel to earn back pronto. Sigh.

gower21

Postby gower21 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm

izanobu wrote:You rang?

Someone said my name at least 3 times...

I've been wanting to say that joke for so long, so I'm glad you did it first.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. And the computer failure. And the depression. And the writers block. What happened to things in threes? Must you always overachieve everything?

I wish I had a magic formula, or some sort of tag line to tell you, but really it's hard to really come across as genuine on the forum sometimes. I really do hope things will start turning around for you. I also know you didn't post that to be dog piled by "Sorry for your losses" -- Just I really do hope tomorrow will be your day to start pecking at the computer again.

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Oh, she will. Papa Heinlein, the catfish plushie will glare at her with that black glassy eye and she will be compelled to finish her novel.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Even if I never win, I already have "prizes" from this contest in the form of lessons...

* From Brad, on how to build on opportunities, grab momentum, and run with it.

* From Annie, on how to think and act like a professional, not an aspirant.

* From Dr. Phil, on how to persevere.

* From Meghan, on how to keep up enthusiasm and energy.

So true Martin on all the above.

I vote that Annie WIN. I would love to see Annie on stage with a tri-coloured 10 inch mohawk and an exposed tattoo sleeve that compliments her very formal flowing gown. (See I tried to say Annie three times for good luck to her, and did wotf010 )

Back to writing Q3 story ...
8 HMs.

preston

Postby preston » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:I'm awake, I'm awake... wotf035

First, I'll insert my opinion on us LAMPS.
(Going to use HE for ease of reading, not that I know anything.)
1. our stories are/were physically in Oklahoma. They need to be boxed up, those read and those not, and shipped to the new guy. This will take time.
2. the new guy will sort, making his own little pile of R, HM, and "hold".
3. speculation: Will the new guy insert his own high-tier possibles into the overall list then read again? Will he give more or less weight to those he feels may be finalists compared to those Kathy had already selected?

Professionally, I say yes. One way or the other, this is his quarter now. The finalists are ultimately his choice.

Personally I say no. Because my glass is half empty. I'm not superstitious, I'm pessimistic. wotf005
I'm all happy to still be "in" for the quarter, but the truth is, I haven't been read yet and could still get nothing. We shall see.

I do agree he won't tear down anything in the hold pile lower than HM, (Probably not lower than SHM)

I'm filtering Hazlett's list:

Tina - (LAMPS)
Francis Bruno (HOLD PILE)
Martin Shoemaker
Izanobu - (HOLD PILE)
Marina - (LAMPS)
Kary - (LAMPS)
Dustin - (LAMPS)
Jennifer Hicks (LAMPS)
The Happy Snappy Gator (HOLD PILE)
Isto - (LAMPS)
Preston
gwasch - (LAMPS)
DavidK

If I didn't write your status, you either didn't say, or I didn't see it in the list. (Sorry)

Marina, I submitted paper for Q1, but elec for Q2, so on Duotrope, only 1 paper is mine.

D

You can put me in the LAMPS basket, Dustin. For this quarter and Q2
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

preston

Postby preston » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:51 pm

hazlett wrote:Speaking of which, does anyone know what the protocol is for logging an HM in Duotrope? My inclination is to record a "personal rejection." Please let me know so I can record my status ASAP.

Clearly there are no controls and no protocol. But there are two prevailing theories:

1. The Critique Theory: the only thing that counts as a personal rejection is something that includes comments specific to your story. In WotF, that means a Semi-Finalist or better, since Semis get critiques. (If you REALLY apply this theory strictly, non-winning non-published Finalists are form rejections, since they neither get published nor get critiqued.)

2. What we might call the Gator Theory: if they went to all that trouble to print up that pretty certificate with my name and my title on it, sign it, and mail it (across an ocean, in the Gator's case), then that's personal enough for me!

I lean toward the Gator Theory, though I do see the logic in the Critique Theory.

In the meantime, I'm sending my story out to the next market.

Good man! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! etc.

I support the Gator theory 100%. My HM's came back signed by the editor. That's personal, isn't it?]
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm

It's still technically a "form." Back in the days of paper sub, KD would, from time to time, send back the first page of my manuscript with a hand written not urging me to keep entering alongside my certificate.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

preston

Postby preston » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Grayson Morris wrote:LAst Minute Paper Sub.

Maybe we should just call ourself LMPS. That way I can pronounce it lumps or limps...which somehow seems more appropriate.
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

preston

Postby preston » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:05 pm

This thread now has 1721 posts. That makes this quarter the most posted ever. wotf015 Hmm...wonder what that means?
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

Beez

Postby Beez » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:08 pm

preston wrote:This thread now has 1721 posts. That makes this quarter the most posted ever. wotf015 Hmm...wonder what that means?
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

That you enjoy double-posting?
My mottos: 1) Hakuna Matata 2) Carpe Diem 3) No Regrets 4) Never Give Up 5) The most futile thing in the world is an unasked question

preston

Postby preston » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Beez wrote:
preston wrote:This thread now has 1721 posts. That makes this quarter the most posted ever. wotf015 Hmm...wonder what that means?
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

That you enjoy double-posting?

Guilty! wotf007

Isto

Postby Isto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

Think we can push it to 2000 before the winner is announced? wotf019
- Isto
R-R-Semi

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:10 pm

It means it's taken longer than any other. And we are all long winded. Or at least I am.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

Perhaps it's because we've split the thread by creating the results only section. Now we know we can jabber on endlessly, so we are. (And no one's yelling at us to get off their lawn--I mean, stay on topic. =])

Jess

Postby Jess » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

We've clearly gotten more entertaining of late.
Oh dear. I need a signature.
And an avatar.
And probably other things I don't even know about.

I feel naked.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:17 pm

I toodled over to the SFWA website to see what was there, and stumbled across another person in the "hold" pile! His website is here, http://www.onelowerlight.com/writing/?p=7229&cpage=1#comment-36784 where he reproduces the exact same email I got.

Going to bed now... wotf043
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:28 pm

I hope that guy didn't actually title his story what he calls it in his blog, because he just disqualified himself probably if he did (great way to kill your anonymity, sigh). Maybe someone should comment over there and tell him so he can delete the title?

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:48 pm

izanobu wrote:I hope that guy didn't actually title his story what he calls it in his blog, because he just disqualified himself probably if he did (great way to kill your anonymity, sigh). Maybe someone should comment over there and tell him so he can delete the title?

Being the loud mouth that I am . . . I did. Though it looks like that's the name of his novel and the short story he submitted is an excerpt, so it may have a different title. wotf017

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:59 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:I toodled over to the SFWA website to see what was there, and stumbled across another person in the "hold" pile! His website is here, http://www.onelowerlight.com/writing/?p=7229&cpage=1#comment-36784 where he reproduces the exact same email I got.

Going to bed now... wotf043

Wait, did I miss something. Did all the "holds" get that same e-mail? Did we have this data on paper subs already? I may be falling behind on my Duotropery for the quarter. I thought KD hadn't read any paper subs, or had she just not finished yet?

Your story was placed in the hold category while K.D. was reading the hard copy submissions.

Were you a LMPS, that quarter O' Perpetually Hungry 'Gater?

[/mischief]

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 pm

It was the same "hold" email that I got.
Accomplishments:
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:59 pm

I think we all got the same hold email. I know some of the HMs and rejections were from paper submissions, so she'd at least started them. However, I don't think a "hold" means anything more than KD wanted to give those stories another read before she made her final decisions. So, as much as it sucks to say, I don't think any of us with the "hold" email can expect a particular result. I think we'll see some of us get HMs, maybe some straight rejects, and then possibly semi and finalists *might* come from that pile, depending how many entries KD had left that she wasn't able to get through.

Hold, to me, just means "no news".

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm still not convinced we will see HM's from the Holds. It's possible, but from my previous critique she specifically said she went back to reread the story to look for the element that she felt was missing. And I think the holds are exactly that, they need further review to see where they place, but they are beyond the HM.

It's just speculation, but I think every one of the holds had something that K.D. felt deserved something more than an HM. Whether the new coordinating judge feels the same, we'll see.
Accomplishments:
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:27 pm

It'll be a new judge. New tastes. I don't think we can assume anything.

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:02 am

Hey there. I'm the guy who may or may not have disqualified himself with that last blog post. I guess I wasn't thinking. In any case, I wanted to thank you for the tip. Hopefully, no one noticed, but if not, there's always another quarter.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and I have to say your discussion has been very entertaining. Congrats to everyone who made HM, and best of luck to everyone currently "on hold"!

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 am

onelowerlight wrote:Hey there. I'm the guy who may or may not have disqualified himself with that last blog post. I guess I wasn't thinking. In any case, I wanted to thank you for the tip. Hopefully, no one noticed, but if not, there's always another quarter.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and I have to say your discussion has been very entertaining. Congrats to everyone who made HM, and best of luck to everyone currently "on hold"!

The odds that you disqualified your story are low. But zero is better than low, and safer. What I love about this forum is we do try to educate and support each other. We all want to win, but we all want a great contest and a great learning experience for all contestants.

NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:31 am

Strycher wrote:
Were you a LMPS, that quarter O' Perpetually Hungry 'Gater?

Nope, e-submission. That's far too much ink and paper to send across the big wavey pond.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:39 am

onelowerlight wrote:Hey there. I'm the guy who may or may not have disqualified himself with that last blog post. I guess I wasn't thinking. In any case, I wanted to thank you for the tip. Hopefully, no one noticed, but if not, there's always another quarter.

Ack, I do hope not. As Martin says, I would think the risk is small but I should have thought and warned you or at least not linked your blog here. My only excuse is it was very late and I was half asleep and I'm a poor skim reader at the best of times.wotf005

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”