Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
francisbruno
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby francisbruno » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:55 pm

On a plane to the Superstars of Writing 2012 in Las Vegas, otherwise I'd be checking over and over again.
I am an esub too and in the hold pile.
I just wish I knew one way or the other since I'll be at this conference and can't talk at all about my entry as David Farland and other possible judges will be there. Le sigh.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:59 pm

francisbruno wrote:On a plane to the Superstars of Writing 2012 in Las Vegas, otherwise I'd be checking over and over again.
I am an esub too and in the hold pile.
I just wish I knew one way or the other since I'll be at this conference and can't talk at all about my entry as David Farland and other possible judges will be there. Le sigh.


In the best case your on-hold story could be a Finalist waiting to be judged, which means you couldn't talk about your entry regardless. The only way you could safely talk about it would be if you were already out of contention, and you wouldn't want that!

If you're asked about your recent work, I recommend borrowing a quote from Evil Martin...

The stories I could tell you...
The stories I could tell you...
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

francisbruno
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby francisbruno » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
In the best case your on-hold story could be a Finalist waiting to be judged, which means you couldn't talk about your entry regardless. The only way you could safely talk about it would be if you were already out of contention, and you wouldn't want that!

If you're asked about your recent work, I recommend borrowing a quote from Evil Martin...

The stories I could tell you...
The stories I could tell you...


Yep. exactly.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

User avatar
MJNL
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:08 pm
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby MJNL » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:26 pm

gower21 wrote:One of the papers got a hold notice? Which one? Marina???!!


Nope, no "hold" pile e-mail for me. I guess that means one of two things, right? Either KD already put my story in a "for sure" pile (Be it HM for sure, straight reject for sure, or what have you), or she never got to read it.

And I see we now officially have our three winners according to duotrope. Guess we can all go home now. ( wotf020 I will not make a wall of shame. I will not make a wall of shame. I will not make a...)
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

francisbruno
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby francisbruno » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm wondering if those are just "holds" also.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:58 pm

francisbruno wrote:I'm wondering if those are just "holds" also.


My money is on HMs. I can't imagine anyone calling "hold" a result; and everything else announced last week was an HM.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

francisbruno
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby francisbruno » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Sounds reasonable. They said the announcement would be next month and that's tomorrow. Yeah! Oh, maybe they meant later next month. wotf015
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 pm

francisbruno wrote:Sounds reasonable. They said the announcement would be next month and that's tomorrow. Yeah! Oh, maybe they meant later next month. wotf015


If it's the end of May I will... I will... I will.... wotf027
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Although I can't quite de-stress about my entry for this quarter, I try to keep in mind that there's four quarters per anthology. Four chances to win.
So, this is just the first one.
There's 3 more to go. (Although our stories are in for 2, so there's only 2 more to write for.)

I sleep better knowing that I can still put my best foot forward for Q3 and Q4, regardless of my eventual Q1 result.

I can see why Annie is concerned, this is her last entry, but for most if not all of the rest of us, WRITE WRITE WRITE.

I'm glad for the delay. If I'm to be super bummed about my Q1, I want at much material as possible developed so I can cry in my soup for a few days and not have to worry about missing a deadline. wotf011

D
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Ah, Dustin, you warm my heart. Thank you for being a voice of reason.

(Evil Martin is sticking his tongue out at you and calling you a fun-killing poopie head...)
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Reason? Reason? What is that? wotf021
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

User avatar
DavidK
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby DavidK » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:14 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:
francisbruno wrote:Sounds reasonable. They said the announcement would be next month and that's tomorrow. Yeah! Oh, maybe they meant later next month. wotf015


If it's the end of May I will... I will... I will.... wotf027



No R, no HM and no "Hold" ...

What if next month results *IS* the end of May ...

I've resigned myself to the fact that I have no idea, and am knuckling down to Q3 and Q4 story writing.

I'd love to put my Q3 story in now and have THREE in play, but I'd rather polish it so that I can be just as confused as I am now in Q3 wotf007
8 HMs.

User avatar
wellsdesigned
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Above the Sacramento CA Fog
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby wellsdesigned » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 am

This is going to be a quarter of legend for the forum. In the future, some newbie will try complaining that results are a couple weeks late and the old timers still posting will reply, "You think this is bad, you should have been part of the Volume 29 first quarter. Now that was a heck of a quarter. Oh the stories we could tell,,,"

Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Strycher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:24 am

wellsdesigned wrote:This is going to be a quarter of legend for the forum. In the future, some newbie will try complaining that results are a couple weeks late and the old timers still posting will reply, "You think this is bad, you should have been part of the Volume 29 first quarter. Now that was a heck of a quarter. Oh the stories we could tell,,,"


wotf019

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah, 60 pages blows the old record of 54 out of the water and we're not done!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 pm

We're now reaching a meta level of obsession, wherein we obsess about how much we're obsessing (and we even know what the previous record was).

Evil Martin is hanging his head in shame. He couldn't cause this much consternation if he tried, and here it's happening without any help from him at all.

(Well, without MUCH help...)
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Strycher
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: GA, USA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Strycher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:He couldn't cause this much consternation if he tried, and here it's happening without any help from him at all.


Editor's Note: This message sponsored by Evil Martin.

User avatar
gower21
Posts: 2008
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby gower21 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Our last record was only 54? Oh yeah, we can do much better than that...

I've decided to make it something positive and try to hammer out a rough draft to a story before all the results come in and since it is in the air, it makes it kinda fun and exciting and dangerous. It's an epic Turtle and the Hare type race!

Here's my logline.

An unpublished writers struggles to write a first draft before the contest results arrive in the mail and possibly crush her spirits... or raise them to a new level?

It's Race Against Time meets The Postman (world's most boring movie).

ETA: I know we can so blow the stats out of the water on this quarter. We still have the whole "who's Finalist" guessing game as well as several more batches of HMs and the Semi announcements.

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Really, this thread should be shorter than previous ones. People are obliged to report actual results in a separate part of the forum. So now everything we say here is pure hot air .

It's a good job I appreciate a steamy climate.wotf007
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

User avatar
gower21
Posts: 2008
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby gower21 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:19 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:Really, this thread should be shorter than previous ones. People are obliged to report actual results in a separate part of the forum. So now everything we say here is pure hot air .

It's a good job I appreciate a steamy climate.wotf007



Glad we could create a Gator friendly environment for ya!

Here is what I tell myself everyday to psych myself up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB3YtfV4eWE

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes, yes, that's what I'm like right now, a big, gaseous ball of hot air. I think I'm more likely to develop into Uranus though than a star.wotf018
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

francisbruno
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby francisbruno » Wed May 02, 2012 7:31 am

I'm attending Superstars Writing Seminars 2012 and I got the chance to talk to Kevin J Anderson yesterday regarding my SF entry. I had been debating whether to try to publish the story in a magazine or self publish while I am working on the graphic novel. For some reason I felt that my publishing the graphic novel would be a problem. He assured me it wasn't.

One interesting thing came out of the conversation. He said, "You realize that is impressive, getting a Semi-finalist?" I said, "I knew it was good, maybe the top 1%". He then said that there were around 20 SF+Finalists out of 20,000 entries. I had always thought there were between 1-2K entries, but he threw out 20K. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I wonder if we are going to hear anything else this week?
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am

francisbruno wrote:One interesting thing came out of the conversation. He said, "You realize that is impressive, getting a Semi-finalist?" I said, "I knew it was good, maybe the top 1%". He then said that there were around 20 SF+Finalists out of 20,000 entries. I had always thought there were between 1-2K entries, but he threw out 20K. Just thought I'd throw that out there.


1-2K has always been an inference based on stated percentages. The contest has always kept actual numbers a secret. The closest we have to an "official" number is K.D.'s obituary, which said 1,200 stories per year. Frankly, no one believes that. I assume that meant per quarter.

No one here knows, but there's a lot of guessing.

UPDATE: And as long as we're guessing... I'm confident there will be news this week.
Last edited by Martin L. Shoemaker on Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 am

francisbruno wrote: He then said that there were around 20 SF+Finalists out of 20,000 entries.


wotf048 wotf048 wotf048
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Isto
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: OHIO

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Isto » Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
francisbruno wrote:One interesting thing came out of the conversation. He said, "You realize that is impressive, getting a Semi-finalist?" I said, "I knew it was good, maybe the top 1%". He then said that there were around 20 SF+Finalists out of 20,000 entries. I had always thought there were between 1-2K entries, but he threw out 20K. Just thought I'd throw that out there.


1-2K has always been an inference based on stated percentages. The contest has always kept actual numbers a secret. The closest we have to an "official" number is K.D.'s obituary, which said 1,200 stories per year. Frankly, no one believes that. I assume that meant per quarter.


Does a rough estimate of 400 per week seem unreasonable...worldwide? Seems like a lot for one person to wade through, though.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4279
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed May 02, 2012 8:14 am

Isto wrote:Does a rough estimate of 400 per week seem unreasonable...worldwide? Seems like a lot for one person to wade through, though.


Well, for most of them, she just looked at first and last pages. So that helps. But we'll never really know unless Author Services decides they want to tell us.

20,000 per year sounds very reasonable to me. 20,000 per quarter seems like a stretch even to me, and I tend to believe the number is higher than do many people around here.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
UPDATE: And as long as we're guessing... I'm confident there will be news this week.


Please, let it be true! I just want the waiting to be over now, and to know whether I get to do my happy snappy SF dance, or let out a big gator HMmmmmmmm. wotf005
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Corbin Maxwell
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Corbin Maxwell » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

francisbruno wrote:I'm attending Superstars Writing Seminars 2012 and I got the chance to talk to Kevin J Anderson yesterday regarding my SF entry. I had been debating whether to try to publish the story in a magazine or self publish while I am working on the graphic novel. For some reason I felt that my publishing the graphic novel would be a problem. He assured me it wasn't.

One interesting thing came out of the conversation. He said, "You realize that is impressive, getting a Semi-finalist?" I said, "I knew it was good, maybe the top 1%". He then said that there were around 20 SF+Finalists out of 20,000 entries. I had always thought there were between 1-2K entries, but he threw out 20K. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I wonder if we are going to hear anything else this week?



The amount of entries stated above makes sense. When I used to enter the yearly Writers Digest contest, the magazine stated they received approximately 70,000 entries per year; this particular contest requires a $10 to $15 entry fee.

I always thought the stated numbers for WOTF (1200 or so) were low, especially for an international contest that is free to enter. I believe KD did say once (or at least I think she did) that if WOTF published the amount of entries received each year it would discourge people from entering, the numbers would be too overwhelming for some people.
SF x 1
HM x 10

User avatar
izanobu
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby izanobu » Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 am

KD said that HMs were the top 10-15%... which means that each quarter probably receives 800-1200 entries. KJA's number seems way too high, even for a yearly total.

morshana
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: California

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby morshana » Wed May 02, 2012 9:15 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
francisbruno wrote:One interesting thing came out of the conversation. He said, "You realize that is impressive, getting a Semi-finalist?" I said, "I knew it was good, maybe the top 1%". He then said that there were around 20 SF+Finalists out of 20,000 entries. I had always thought there were between 1-2K entries, but he threw out 20K. Just thought I'd throw that out there.


1-2K has always been an inference based on stated percentages. The contest has always kept actual numbers a secret. The closest we have to an "official" number is K.D.'s obituary, which said 1,200 stories per year. Frankly, no one believes that. I assume that meant per quarter.

No one here knows, but there's a lot of guessing.

UPDATE: And as long as we're guessing... I'm confident there will be news this week.


Hm. The numbers are all over the place, I agree. However, I think what is most important to note is that the percentages don't really matter. As I understand it, stories that meet the criteria for HM are chosen for HM. End of story. There could be 100 entries or 1000 entries and it won't make a difference. Any story worthy of receiving HM will receive it. The only fixed ones are Finalist (8) and Semi-Finalist (10), unless of course fewer entries make it to the very top in a particular quarter.

I think perhaps the range of entries per quarter is quite variable, as are the qualifying HM certificates (regardless of number of contest submissions). But, yes, it does feel like more of a feat to make it to the top of a 20k pile versus a 2k pile. But regardless of the size of the pile, it's quite an achievement to make into the top two tiers of the contest. =)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest