Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu May 17, 2012 2:22 am

If Stewart wins, they'll write, "Stewart Baker, Head, Inside of".

Grats Medical Author. Small, semi-pro is just fine. They chose your story above others. That's what counts.

D
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Thu May 17, 2012 2:51 am

It's 345 US time and I had a compulsion to say congratulations to the winners.

Commiserations everyone else - me, I'm sleeping right now on the other side of the globe - it's still dark here :)

You might hear me snoring if you listen hard...
Last edited by DavidK on Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joined August 2011. HM's 2008 (from KD), 2013 (from DW), 2014 (2 from DW), 2015 (from DF), 2016 (3 from DF) Long pause for my PhD... but finally back again... Q2 V37? Q3

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Thu May 17, 2012 3:42 am

Personally, I would prefer "anywhere but Earth."

JeppeVH

Postby JeppeVH » Thu May 17, 2012 5:17 am

Also haven't heard anything. Checked spam filter and nothing there. Illustrator finalist were announced May 9th. Are the finalists always announced? I suspect Joni contacts finalist before announcing them, but I could be wrong. Keeping fingers crossed.
4 entries => 3 rejections + 1 waiting + 0 HM + 0 Semi + 0 Finalist

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Thu May 17, 2012 5:39 am

JeppeVH wrote:Also haven't heard anything. Checked spam filter and nothing there. Illustrator finalist were announced May 9th. Are the finalists always announced? I suspect Joni contacts finalist before announcing them, but I could be wrong. Keeping fingers crossed.

Finalists get a phone call. Semi's and any leftovers get an email (I was a semi). The finalists are asked to keep quiet which is why you see people speculating that if someone is quiet they might have gotten the call. Then when all the finalists are contacted they are announced. The next announcement is which three made the cut.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu May 17, 2012 6:44 am

DavidK wrote:It's 345 US time and I had a compulsion to say congratulations to the winners.

Commiserations everyone else - me, I'm sleeping right now on the other side of the globe - it's still dark here :)

Funny... I swear I heard something else earlier... Something about EVIL and Nice...
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Thu May 17, 2012 7:01 am

You think you guys are having it bad waiting for the results of Q-1, I still have a story out at Penumbra. 149 Days and counting.

Patience. Patience. Patience. PATIENCE!

Me: Evil Mike, get down from there. They still haven't completely announced winners yet or LAMPS.

Evil Mike: Lamps? They're reading in the dark?

Me: *Facepalm*
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu May 17, 2012 7:06 am

francisbruno wrote: Semi's and any leftovers get an email <snip>

<Miss Piggy voice>

Leftovers?!! HIYAAAAA!

Leftovers, hrmpf!
Last edited by Kary English on Thu May 17, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu May 17, 2012 7:08 am

WriteToLive wrote:You think you guys are having it bad waiting for the results of Q-1, I still have a story out at Penumbra. 149 Days and counting.

Patience. Patience. Patience. PATIENCE!

Me: Evil Mike, get down from there. They still haven't completely announced winners yet or LAMPS.

Evil Mike: Lamps? They're reading in the dark?

Me: *Facepalm*

Evil Mike is funnier than Evil Martin...

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 am

venvariants wrote:Had Chinese (food) at a restaurant called The Snappy Dragon tonight..! wotf011

I saw a sign yesterday that said "Beware: Attack Alligator on Duty" or something like that. I got a picture of it on my phone. Don't know what I'll do with it since I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to post it...maybe someday I'll whip it out.

And also missed saying Congrats to Medical Author! Semi is a good sale, pro is not that far away!

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 am

gower21 wrote:I saw a sign yesterday that said "Beware: Attack Alligator on Duty" or something like that. I got a picture of it on my phone. Don't know what I'll do with it since I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to post it...maybe someday I'll whip it out.

Isn't that why you married a geek, so that he could figure out the tech headaches?

NNiNN

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Thu May 17, 2012 9:03 am

So David Farland has seminars 5/18-19th and then in the beginning of June.
Predictions?

Finals and rest notified starting today and then final judging between 5/20-6/2?
Accomplishments:
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Thu May 17, 2012 9:35 am

I'm starting to think Farland may not be the best choice long term. He is far too busy.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu May 17, 2012 9:38 am

AMcCarter wrote:I'm starting to think Farland may not be the best choice long term. He is far too busy.

Well, he did step down once before because the contest was eating up too much of his writing time. This is gross speculation on my part, but I would imagine that he's only stepped in to get the contest through the crisis, and will step down again once a new long-term person is ready.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Thu May 17, 2012 9:53 am

Kary James wrote:
AMcCarter wrote:I'm starting to think Farland may not be the best choice long term. He is far too busy.

Well, he did step down once before because the contest was eating up too much of his writing time. This is gross speculation on my part, but I would imagine that he's only stepped in to get the contest through the crisis, and will step down again once a new long-term person is ready.

This was the thought at the Superstars Seminar I attended. This may just be temporary.
And another post gets us closer to 70 pages in this thread!
Accomplishments:
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 am

Anyone else noticed how many markets are getting faster with their response times? I imagine this is because of competition from the likes of Lightspeed and Clarkesworld. So it would be pretty unfortunate if WotF got slower. Not to mention it would surely affect the number of submissions they get.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 am

Dustin Adams wrote:If Stewart wins, they'll write, "Stewart Baker, Head, Inside of".

wotf019

That'd be the most accurate description of my location. 's why it's in my profile, after all!

(I'm already long out this quarter, though. Unless, of course, I just posted that form rejection to trick you all...)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu May 17, 2012 10:49 am

s_c_baker wrote:(I'm already long out this quarter, though. Unless, of course, I just posted that form rejection to trick you all...)

That wouldn't be you, that would be Evil Stewart (a.k.a. Stewie, for you Family Guy fans). Even Evil Martin wouldn't be THAT Evil!

NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:If Stewart wins, they'll write, "Stewart Baker, Head, Inside of".

wotf019

That'd be the most accurate description of my location. 's why it's in my profile, after all!

(I'm already long out this quarter, though. Unless, of course, I just posted that form rejection to trick you all...)

Stewart! wotf007

Hey! You're not supposed to be here! Shoo! Shoo! *makes sweeping motions with hands*
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
gower21 wrote:I saw a sign yesterday that said "Beware: Attack Alligator on Duty" or something like that. I got a picture of it on my phone. Don't know what I'll do with it since I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to post it...maybe someday I'll whip it out.

Isn't that why you married a geek, so that he could figure out the tech headaches?

I did! I could ask him, but I've always got a list a mile long when he walks through the door. I don't have a smart phone so I don't know how to get the picture off of it an onto the internet. I know it can be done though, so maybe I'll figure it out and we can all enjoy the sign.
s_c_baker wrote:

wotf019

Does this posting mean that you're almost done with your thesis? Or that you're procrastinating?

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 am

s_c_baker wrote:(I'm already long out this quarter, though. Unless, of course, I just posted that form rejection to trick you all...)

That wouldn't be you, that would be Evil Stewart (a.k.a. Stewie, for you Family Guy fans). Even Evil Martin wouldn't be THAT Evil!

If we go by Star Trek standards, I'm already Evil Stewart, because I have facial hair. (Albeit not a goatee, so maybe it doesn't count.)

morshana wrote:
Stewart! wotf007

Hey! You're not supposed to be here! Shoo! Shoo! *makes sweeping motions with hands*

gower21 wrote:Does this posting mean that you're almost done with your thesis? Or that you're procrastinating?

Just popped in to see if finalists had been announced yet. :) Who's still in the running?
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Most of the paper subs are still in the running. Kary has a list somewhere of who's not heard and who's on "hold" (a new email that went out this quarter to tell people who was in KD's "hold" pile most likely her Finalist/Semi pile we are guessing). Latest from Joni is that 99% of rejects have gone out, so maybe more rejects in the paper subs.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 pm

morshana wrote:
Stewart! wotf007

gower21 wrote:Does this posting mean that you're almost done with your thesis? Or that you're procrastinating?

Just popped in to see if finalists had been announced yet. :) Who's still in the running?

8 LAMPS
Tina - (R)
Marina - (2xF, 2xHM)
Kary - (first time sub)
Dustin - (1xF, 2xHM)
Jennifer Hicks (1xSF, 1xSHM, 6xHM)
Isto - (first time sub)
Preston (2xHM)
gwasch - (no data)

5 HOLD PILE
Francis Bruno (1xSF)
Izanobu - (1xSF, 2xSHM, 6xHM)
The Happy Snappy Gator (1xSF, 2xHM)
onelowerlight - (no data)*
MichaelB - (2XSF, 3XHM)

2 NNiNN
Martin Shoemaker (1xF, 1xSF, 2xHM)
DavidK (1 HM)

Dr. Phil - ??

Nice to see you! Go away! (As per your instructions.)
Last edited by Strycher on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Thu May 17, 2012 1:03 pm

s_c_baker wrote:If we go by Star Trek standards, I'm already Evil Stewart, because I have facial hair. (Albeit not a goatee, so maybe it doesn't count.)

Then how would you tell two Riker's apart?
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Thu May 17, 2012 1:06 pm

DavidK wrote:It's 345 US time and I had a compulsion to say congratulations to the winners.

Funny... I swear I heard something else earlier... Something about EVIL and Nice...

Yes Martin, you don't ever sleep do you wotf008 I thought you must have fallen asleep still logged on.

I changed it from... I had a compulsion to say there would be no announcements today, that EVILMartin and EVILMike made NICEDavid say it... and I commented on how both of them are EvilM...'s (there is probably something with anyone who's name begins with M now that I think about it...)

But then I changed my post because I didn't want to jinx announcements today - wotf014
Joined August 2011. HM's 2008 (from KD), 2013 (from DW), 2014 (2 from DW), 2015 (from DF), 2016 (3 from DF) Long pause for my PhD... but finally back again... Q2 V37? Q3

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu May 17, 2012 1:24 pm

DavidK wrote:Yes Martin, you don't ever sleep do you wotf008 I thought you must have fallen asleep still logged on.

I do that sometimes; but this morning I was up early to head to the gym for a workout, and then to take a call for work.

But then I changed my post because I didn't want to jinx announcements today - wotf014

Pfah! It will happen when it happens. Jinxes are irrelevant.

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:29 pm

My thought, when all the illustrators news came out, was that we wouldn't get results today either. Let the illustrators have the lime light for a change.

And
WriteToLive wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:If we go by Star Trek standards, I'm already Evil Stewart, because I have facial hair. (Albeit not a goatee, so maybe it doesn't count.)

Then how would you tell two Riker's apart?

This is original Star Trek. So no beards. If we're talking Next Generation, I'm thinking that in evil alternative universe, Riker would be shaved. So there you go, Stewart, Evil Stewie does not have facial hair. He's a hairless jackass--as in donkey, I mean.

ETA: Just got the mailer email from Joni telling me to keep writing. So the email system is still up and running.

ETA of my ETA: And I got a reply already. She says thanks for responding and letting her know I was still entering. She also said they are back on track and will have an announcement soon. Not sure if that means an announcement of who took over for KD or results.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu May 17, 2012 1:47 pm

gower21 wrote:She also said they are back on track and will have an announcement soon.

For some definitions of "soon"... wotf013

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:52 pm

gower21 wrote:She also said they are back on track and will have an announcement soon.

For some definitions of "soon"... wotf013

I know, I thought that too. We've waited this long already. I'm guessing our Q2 results will come out before we know Q1.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Where's my results?!
Stomp!
Chomp!
Stomp!
Chomp!
Stomp!
Chomp!

**Sound of Nice Elinor wrestling the Gator back into her cave**

Sorry about that, the reptile is getting cranky. She doesn't have my innate patience... She really thought we would hear something today, poor thing. wotf005
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”