Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
morshana

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Kary James wrote:Ding, ding, ding!!

JRR Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and others of their ilk held a weekly writing group at The Eagle and Child. The writers called themselves the Inklings and referred to the pub as The Bird and Baby. For those of you who play Lord of the Rings Online, there is a Bird and Baby in the Shire. :)

Nice!

Are you going to Wales? Tolkien spent a lot of time in Betws-y-coed (especially while writing Lord of the Rings, I believe). Love that area of Wales...my Mom's nana's family is from around there, too.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm

We reached 85 pages and over 2,500 posts. Isto got to one hundred posts and Kary is running some Fantasy trivia! This thread it still going strong folks. I keep thinking that it would be funny if results were announced and nobody noticed. We all just kept coming on here to complain on how long it's taking.

venvariants

Postby venvariants » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 pm

The Slaughtered Lamb was avoided, then, no?
ven

V29 Q1: R
V29 Q2: Big, Fat R
V29 Q3: Submitted

Isto

Postby Isto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 pm

gower21 wrote:We reached 85 pages and over 2,500 posts. Isto got to one hundred posts and Kary is running some Fantasy trivia! This thread it still going strong folks. I keep thinking that it would be funny if results were announced and nobody noticed. We all just kept coming on here to complain on how long it's taking.

I believe that is entirely possible! Let's see. No announcements this week. Shall we aim for an even 3000? wotf007
- Isto
R-R-Semi

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 pm

gower21 wrote:We reached 85 pages and over 2,500 posts. Isto got to one hundred posts and Kary is running some Fantasy trivia! This thread it still going strong folks. I keep thinking that it would be funny if results were announced and nobody noticed. We all just kept coming on here to complain on how long it's taking.

Trust me. We. Will. Notice.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Isto

Postby Isto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:

Trust me. We. Will. Notice.

Of course, once we do, there will be all of the reporting in and the good wishes. I think another five hundred isn't out of reach. As you can tell, my goals in life have dwindled dramatically.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm betting on a hundred pages.
Heck, people, we're writers. If results come out and we run out of things to talk about, we can waffle. wotf040
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Does the WOTF page count dial go to 100? *rubs hands together* lets find out!

And yes, Ven, I think we've avoided the sacrifice of the midsized barnyard animals. For now.

But if anyone can get their hands on a pink space cow, that would be an awesome sacrifice to the Results Gods.

Isto

Postby Isto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:55 pm

gower21 wrote:Does the WOTF page count dial go to 100? *rubs hands together* lets find out!

And yes, Ven, I think we've avoided the sacrifice of the midsized barnyard animals. For now.

But if anyone can get their hands on a pink space cow, that would be an awesome sacrifice to the Results Gods.

If we do, I know exactly how to milk it wotf046
- Isto
R-R-Semi

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Isto wrote:
gower21 wrote:Does the WOTF page count dial go to 100? *rubs hands together* lets find out!

If we do, I know exactly how to milk it wotf046

Oh hey! That reminds me...

***Off topic warning, keep reading at your own risk***

Love your use of agriculture in a story. Cow milking :) I've only ever milked a goat, which is weird because raised dairy cows in 4-H

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:24 pm

I guess my Thursday prediction came and went. wotf017
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm

francisbruno wrote:I guess my Thursday prediction came and went. wotf017

Magic Thursday isn't over yet. Sometimes results go out at 6pm, just to surprise us. It's the rubber hand experiment all over again.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Really? Really? No news today?

wotf015

For some reason I thought it was going to be this week when people heard back. Apparently, my sense of fairness decided that you guys had been waiting too long, despite any evidence at all that the news might be forth coming.

When was the last time someone got an inquiry response e-mail from Joni? ::Suspiciously eyes people who may have gotten finalist call:: Can't tell if some people are being intentionally quiet or if they are just battle weary.

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Good Lord, still no news yet?

wotf060
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Some people, like the paper subbers who aren't finalists are waiting for results. Others are waiting for news on their hold status. Others are Finalists who are waiting for the blog post so they can scream to the heavens that they are in the top 8 coveted spots. Everyone is still waiting in some form at this point.

My thing is that there is no news on Semi-finalists which usually means the finalists have been chosen. So my guess? A finalist is still out there waiting to be called, or they have all been called and letters are set to go out any day now - since they don't send out the semi-finalist letters until those calls have all been made. So our hold pile group would be the ones to tell us what's what. And we haven't heard from a few of them in a few days if not weeks for some of them.

I wonder when Dave started reading the leftover stories? Was it right away or after the paperwork was finalized last week?

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm not waiting on a Q1 entry, and yet I find myself getting antsy. Fingers drumming on the desk. Checking back here incessantly for those elusive results.

Tina - I hope he didn't wait that long to start the reading... wotf015
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Which makes me wonder if he is using his personal assistant for help on the reading slush pile for Q2.

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm

gower21 wrote:Which makes me wonder if he is using his personal assistant for help on the reading slush pile for Q2.

Hm. Not sure how I'd feel about that. I remember being surprised to hear that K.D. was the only first reader. I would have thought she'd need help going through all the submissions. Yet, it was comforting to know there was only one gatekeeper. Just one person to "write to." I know that other people were ultimately judging on the three winners, but it was nice to know that the first gate was set, and to know if I was getting closer or further away from my target. Gold Five: "Stay on target!"
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Only 461 more to go...
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

preston

Postby preston » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Top 10 Reasons We Haven't Had Results:

In ascending order:

10. We have been transported to a simultaneous, parallel, alternate universe where there is no such thing as quarter one. Sorry. wotf021

9. George Bush. Somehow I just know he has something to do with this. wotf020

8. Folie a Mille. We are all victims of a collective hallucination caused by a combination of pollution, pesticides, nuclear radiation, tv commercials, reality shows, octomom, snuggles... wotf002

7. Our dear judge has been abducted by the Grays and replaced with an evil clone bent on destroying the world, starting with the people who influence the future of world thinking: entrants to the WOTF. wotf018

6. We are all actually artificial intelligences trapped in an endless loop computer program and are being tested to see how long we can wait before we are driven insane. wotf022

5. Incredibly, the finalists have already been chosen and the winners have won, but the administrators are refusing to release the results because first place went to Hal, that computer that kicked Ken Jenning's ass on Jeopardy, second place went to Coco, the Talking Gorilla and third place went to, yeah, you guessed it...George Bush. wotf23

4. Joni forgot. She just plain forgot. She is busy after all. wotf017

3. The stories were all so bad, so horribly bad, that our poor dear judge suffered an emotional breakdown and had to be sedated and placed under psychiatric care. wotf005

2. The stories were all so good, so incredibly fantastic, that our poor dear judge suffered an emotional breakdown and had to be sedated and placed under psychiatric care. Can you believe he wanted to give everybody a tie for first place? It could happen. wotf010

1. And the number one reason why we haven't had results? I just don't know! Maybe God/Universe has decided that our dear former judge was just so darn good, that He needed her to judge other equally (if not more) important contests in other places, and He had to replace her. I'm sure our new judge is hard at work and we will hear results as soon as he finishes. While I'd like to hear results asap, I would rather know that my upcoming rejection (please, no! let me back up), my upcoming finalist was not rushed, and that I truly deserved it. wotf013

Here's to next...gulp...Thursday. Yeah, I said it!
Best of luck all...as I said more than a month ago...It can't be much longer now. Right? Right?
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Everything has changed. Maybe Thursdays no longer exist.

And since today is Thursday for many of us, we're stuck in a parallel universe where every day is Thursday and never any results.

Of course, being in this parallel universe, we *think* there are other days of the week, but really, they're all just Thursday.

So, really, results could be any day, even Saturday or Sunday. Everything has changed. But then again, if we're stuck in the parallel universe of disguised Thursdays, we never get results. So I hope today isn't really Thursday and we're in the universe that gets results.

wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:55 pm

So this is Groundhog Day? If so, where's Andie MacDowell? If seducing her is what I have to do to get the results announced, I guess I'll just have to do it. For the greater good!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:So this is Groundhog Day? If so, where's Andie MacDowell? If seducing her is what I have to do to get the results announced, I guess I'll just have to do it. For the greater good!

Yeah, Martin! For the team!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Isto

Postby Isto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:20 pm

preston wrote:Top 10 Reasons We Haven't Had Results:

5. Incredibly, the finalists have already been chosen and the winners have won, but the administrators are refusing to release the results because first place went to Hal, that computer that kicked Ken Jenning's ass on Jeopardy, second place went to Coco, the Talking Gorilla and third place went to, yeah, you guessed it...George Bush. wotf23

Here's to next...gulp...Thursday. Yeah, I said it!
Best of luck all...as I said more than a month ago...It can't be much longer now. Right? Right?
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2)

OUTSTANDING.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

Isto

Postby Isto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:41 pm

gower21 wrote:
Isto wrote:

I've only ever milked a goat, which is weird because raised dairy cows in 4-H

1. As former top program tester/crasher for the NWOACSC (No-ask) and red-button pusher of robotic prescription drug dispensers, I am intrigued. Will the page counter accept a three digit number? muuuhhhhaaahahhaa

2. After extensive study of various forms of cow milking by hand and machines, I've decided that cows are disgusting creatures. I'll pretend my tasty cherry orchard yogart does not come from them. However, they should be quite easy to milk in space.... I do not believe they will explode.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Alas, not headed to Wales. Today is another day in Oxford, complete with a geeky tour of locations related to Harry Potter and JRR Tolkien.

After that, we're headed for York.

Note to all you secret finalists: If you get word that the hold up is because some silly finalist in CA can't be contacted, pls. tell Joni that I'm gallivanting about in England. wotf006

Random photo from Oxford, a gate in Balliol College.

WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Kary James wrote:Alas, not headed to Wales. Today is another day in Oxford, complete with a geeky tour of locations related to Harry Potter and JRR Tolkien.

After that, we're headed for York.

Note to all you secret finalists: If you get word that the hold up is because some silly finalist in CA can't be contacted, pls. tell Joni that I'm gallivanting about in England. wotf006

Random photo from Oxford, a gate in Balliol College.

Have fun in York!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:19 am

Oooooh, now I want to be part of a writing group called the Inklingettes. Or -ists, to avoid linguistically implied gender boundaries.

The Inklingites. Inklingoids. Inklingons. (C'mon, you knew it was coming, didn't you?)
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

venvariants

Postby venvariants » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 am

Inkadinkadoos? wotf012
ven

V29 Q1: R
V29 Q2: Big, Fat R
V29 Q3: Submitted

trdixon

Postby trdixon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:39 am

Someone yesterday said that this was their Friday, so it seems that we may be in a malleable universe where we can adjust it to our liking. So, come on, everybody all together now!!!!
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in rain...Time to die." -Roy Batty

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”