Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Martin L. Shoemaker

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:55 am

s_c_baker wrote:I don't think I'll have any time for a Q3 entry, but it seems like that might be in the best interest of my sanity--what little I have left--anyway.

Hope everyone hanging in there is still hanging in there for Q1 results. wotf008

Hey! Are we still supposed to chase you away when you show up? Or do you have time for this insanity again?
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

morshana

Postby morshana » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:58 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:I don't think I'll have any time for a Q3 entry, but it seems like that might be in the best interest of my sanity--what little I have left--anyway.

Hope everyone hanging in there is still hanging in there for Q1 results. wotf008

Hey! Are we still supposed to chase you away when you show up? Or do you have time for this insanity again?

He had his eyes closed, so it's okay.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm

morshana wrote:

He had his eyes closed, so it's okay.

Mostly finished with the hard part of the thesis now, anyway. Just one last chapter to finish drafting, and then it's revision--which for me is much easier.

I won't have any time to work on it until July anyway, due to work-related work, so... wotf017
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Isto

Postby Isto » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm

No posts today? People, that is NOT the way to get to 101 pages! So quiet.... What was that???!! Oh, just a cricket. I feel so lonely. wotf014
- Isto
R-R-Semi

gower21

Postby gower21 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Ha! We'll have a long week ahead of us. Even if they do announce some results we still have all the finalist congratulations and speculation on the winner. Then if we still can get to 101 then we'll have to do a reunion on the thread every so often until the anthology comes out.

This is the most EPIC thread on the forum. It's memory shall live on in infamy!

ETA: Excited for you, Stewart, to be so close to the end. A graduates degree is within your immediate grasp!!

Also thanks to Itso for breaking the seal of silence, I'm afraid now when the thread goes quiet that I'll ruin some experiment. I think it naturally goes quiet on the weekends because we know no results will come out, so no fun speculating.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:39 pm

[quote="gower21"]ETA: Excited for you, Stewart, to be so close to the end. A graduates degree is within your immediate grasp!! /quote]

It's my second, but the first I've had to write a thesis for--the library school I attended for some reason had no real final project beyond "finish your classes and get higher than a C in them." wotf001
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:42 pm

gower21 wrote:Also thanks to Itso for breaking the seal of silence, I'm afraid now when the thread goes quiet that I'll ruin some experiment.

27 hours, 38 minutes.

Evil Martin has heard a rumor that Joni is withholding announcements until this thread can go silent for 48 hours. (But Evil Martin makes stuff up all the time.)

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm

gower21 wrote:Also thanks to Itso for breaking the seal of silence, I'm afraid now when the thread goes quiet that I'll ruin some experiment.

27 hours, 38 minutes.

Evil Martin has heard a rumor that Joni is withholding announcements until this thread can go silent for 48 hours. (But Evil Martin makes stuff up all the time.)

That would be impossible. Ohhh man, we'll *never* get results.

s_c_baker wrote:
It's my second, but the first I've had to write a thesis for--the library school I attended for some reason had no real final project beyond "finish your classes and get higher than a C in them." wotf001

Well then, a second graduates degree is within your grasp! One more and you'll have a complete placemat set, BA and two MA's + ?

Isto

Postby Isto » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:50 pm

gower21 wrote:Ha! We'll have a long week ahead of us. Even if they do announce some results we still have all the finalist congratulations and speculation on the winner. Then if we still can get to 101 then we'll have to do a reunion on the thread every so often until the anthology comes out.

This is the most EPIC thread on the forum. It's memory shall live on in infamy!

ETA: Excited for you, Stewart, to be so close to the end. A graduates degree is within your immediate grasp!!

Also thanks to Itso for breaking the seal of silence, I'm afraid now when the thread goes quiet that I'll ruin some experiment. I think it naturally goes quiet on the weekends because we know no results will come out, so no fun speculating.

Ahh, that feels so much better. Now I can sleep peacefully... at least for a little while. Up at 5am for work. yech. Congrats to Stewart as well.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

morshana

Postby morshana » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Yes, congratulations, Stewart!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:26 pm

5AM? Sounds regrettably familiar. (Hooray for infants and toddlers and work!)

Isto wrote:
gower21 wrote:ETA: Excited for you, Stewart, to be so close to the end. A graduates degree is within your immediate grasp!!

Congrats to Stewart as well.

morshana wrote:Yes, congratulations, Stewart!

Grazi for the gratski, but they may be somewhat premature. I still haven't even finished writing the rough draft yet, let alone revised it properly. And then I have to submit the thing... WotF ain't got nothin' on my thesis committee. wotf001

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm

s_c_baker wrote:Grazi for the gratski, but they may be somewhat premature. I still haven't even finished writing the rough draft yet, let alone revised it properly. And then I have to submit the thing... WotF ain't got nothin' on my thesis committee. wotf001

It's very exciting! I wish you the best of luck with it/them.

I must say, it's nice to see our resident donkeyface back. We missed you!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:45 pm

s_c_baker wrote:5AM? Sounds regrettably familiar. (Hooray for infants and toddlers and work!)

Isto wrote:
gower21 wrote:ETA: Excited for you, Stewart, to be so close to the end. A graduates degree is within your immediate grasp!!

Congrats to Stewart as well.

morshana wrote:Yes, congratulations, Stewart!

Grazi for the gratski, but they may be somewhat premature. I still haven't even finished writing the rough draft yet, let alone revised it properly. And then I have to submit the thing... WotF ain't got nothin' on my thesis committee. wotf001

The thesis committee will want you to pass, though. Mine was very supportive when I went for my Honors Thesis.

And I have to write two of them for my grad degree. One on the history of critiques for a work and another which is a "journal-level paper." Fun times. wotf002
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 am

So if they're waiting to announce the first and second quarters together, does that mean that we probably won't get results this week?

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:55 am

onelowerlight wrote:So if they're waiting to announce the first and second quarters together, does that mean that we probably won't get results this week?

The idea that they're waiting to announce together is completely, 100% unsupported speculation. Don't believe it for a second.

NNiNN

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:06 am

Don't worry, I rarely believe anything I read on this thread. :)

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:08 am

onelowerlight wrote:So if they're waiting to announce the first and second quarters together, does that mean that we probably won't get results this week?

The idea that they're waiting to announce together is completely, 100% unsupported speculation. Don't believe it for a second.

I very seriously doubt they're sitting on Q1 results until Q2 results are ready. I'd thought maybe if the Q2 results judging was far enough along that they might come back to back or maybe Q2 finalist would be known before Q1 winners had been selected by the other judges. But if Martin's acquaintance got a response back that they haven't even finished judging Q1 yet, then I don't see how they could have started on Q2. I'm leaning more and more in the direction of what Tina suggested--that Farland hadn't actually started until the contract was sorted and it was official.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:18 am

gower21 wrote:

27 hours, 38 minutes.

That would be impossible. Ohhh man, we'll *never* get results.

We'd need Gator tape all round for sure. wotf002
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:30 am

WriteToLive wrote:The thesis committee will want you to pass, though. Mine was very supportive when I went for my Honors Thesis.

And I have to write two of them for my grad degree. One on the history of critiques for a work and another which is a "journal-level paper." Fun times. wotf002

Very true. After all, they need me to pass so they look good when review time comes around. wotf007

What are you getting your grad degree in? Literature?

Rebecca Birch wrote:It's very exciting! I wish you the best of luck with it/them.

I must say, it's nice to see our resident donkeyface back. We missed you!

Thanks! And thanks! wotf007

27 hours, 38 minutes.

If this thread can go 48 hours without a post, I'll give everybody in it a $5 bill. wotf011

Beez

Postby Beez » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55 am

s_c_baker wrote:If this thread can go 48 hours without a post, I'll give everybody in it a $5 bill. wotf011

Oh no. You're not catching me with that one, no sir. I refuse to pay this bill. wotf007
My mottos: 1) Hakuna Matata 2) Carpe Diem 3) No Regrets 4) Never Give Up 5) The most futile thing in the world is an unasked question

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 am

Beez wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:If this thread can go 48 hours without a post, I'll give everybody in it a $5 bill. wotf011

Oh no. You're not catching me with that one, no sir. I refuse to pay this bill. wotf007

That's okay. I was going to post myself at 47 hours. wotf001

morshana

Postby morshana » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 am

Have we not made the appropriate sacrifices for results?

Does throwing a chicken to the crocodile count?
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 am

Really, sounds like a plan to me.

Evil Mike: Wait, what are you doing?

Hey, they said throw a chicken. wotf019
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 pm

morshana wrote:Have we not made the appropriate sacrifices for results?

Does throwing a chicken to the crocodile count?

Yum! Oh yes, it counts! wotf007

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 pm

WriteToLive wrote:Really, sounds like a plan to me.

Evil Mike: Wait, what are you doing?

Hey, they said throw a chicken. wotf019

Even better!!! wotf006

gower21

Postby gower21 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Darn it guys! Before I left this morning, I see Stewart post about giving out 5$ and I leave thinking "Sweet! I might actually make some writing related money!" Even if it is payment to stop writing, but it sounded about right. I thought Beez's translation was quite cleaver though. Then I get back on at the end of the day to see several posts later my hopes for a reward dwindle and half my chicken coup is gone!

Well, it was worth a shot.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:08 am

NNiNN

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 am

I fear it would take more than five dollars to keep the Gator from her dinner. wotf005

wellsdesigned

Postby wellsdesigned » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 am

I have a wild hair idea about Quarter One. With this much time taken, I have to wonder now if someone hasn't decided that because we have a new judge, to be fair to all entrants, all stories must be reviewed by that new judge. Now, I am not advancing this theory to give hope to my own rejection in this quarter because I re-read my story for submission to another market after that rejection and I could easily see why it did not do as well as previous submissions. So I do not think a re-read of my submission with another judge will get a better result (it might actually be rejected quicker). But with this much delay, I'm just thinking that some level or review of previously announced results for this quarter may be in the works to be sure everyone is getting a fair shake from the new judging.

I am not endorsing the idea, I think they could and should pick up only where Kathy left off, but in today's litigious society, someone may even think the re-review is necessary. I could be very wrong, but it could explain this very long delay for any more results. If this happening, I don't think anyone who received an HM nod will have that taken away, but there may be a story or two in those results that could make it back onto the finalist potential pile.

Just saying. (By the way, I was on vacation for the past two weeks so forgive me if my theory has already been discussed here)

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 am

wellsdesigned wrote:I have a wild hair idea about Quarter One. With this much time taken, I have to wonder now if someone hasn't decided that because we have a new judge, to be fair to all entrants, all stories must be reviewed by that new judge. Now, I am not advancing this theory to give hope to my own rejection in this quarter because I re-read my story for submission to another market after that rejection and I could easily see why it did not do as well as previous submissions. So I do not think a re-read of my submission with another judge will get a better result (it might actually be rejected quicker). But with this much delay, I'm just thinking that some level or review of previously announced results for this quarter may be in the works to be sure everyone is getting a fair shake from the new judging.

I am not endorsing the idea, I think they could and should pick up only where Kathy left off, but in today's litigious society, someone may even think the re-review is necessary. I could be very wrong, but it could explain this very long delay for any more results. If this happening, I don't think anyone who received an HM nod will have that taken away, but there may be a story or two in those results that could make it back onto the finalist potential pile.

Just saying. (By the way, I was on vacation for the past two weeks so forgive me if my theory has already been discussed here)

I'm not sure the contest is under any obligation to entrants beyond "your story will be read by a judge" (which it already has been, one way or another), so I'm not sure they'd go through the time-consuming, possibly-technologically-complicated method of re-reading every single story submitted with a new coordinating judge.

And, indeed, one of the "Contest Rules" on the main page is:
13. Entries will be judged by professional authors. The decisions of the judges are entirely their own, and are final.

Presumably that's meant mostly to discourage people from trying to somehow contact the judges and convince them to change their mind, but final is final, right?

I think it's more reasonable to assume the reason it's taking so long has more to do with logistics than potentially litigatious issues. :)

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”