Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Martin L. Shoemaker

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 am

francisbruno wrote:I haven't heard anything, but I've been in the hospital all week (was supposed to leave monday). I could use some good news if Joni wants to give me a call wotf006
At least I should be leaving in a few minutes.

Leaving soon is good news in itself, I hope!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 am

One of the guys I went to superstars with just got his HM today. Trying to figure out if it was a paper sub.

*Update* he was in the hold pile also. So they are going through the holds now or sending out the results.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 am

francisbruno wrote:One of the guys I went to superstars with just got his HM today. Trying to figure out if it was a paper sub.

*Update* he was in the hold pile also. So they are going through the holds now or sending out the results.

Queue up more Thursday music!

NNiNN

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
francisbruno wrote:One of the guys I went to superstars with just got his HM today. Trying to figure out if it was a paper sub.

Queue up more Thursday music!

With the way this quarter has been going, should be benny hill.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 am

Isto,
all of us who don't know anything, don't know anything, so naturally we're all hoping no one knows anything.

Seems like you're assuming the finalists have been called. I hope that assumption is wrong.

We're certainly not trying to call anyone out. More likely, we're trying to get everyone to raise their hands so we know for SURE that finalists haven't yet been called and we can go on hoping.

At least, that's my interpretation of Marina's post. (not trying to speak for her, just guessing.) More guessing! Ack! wotf013

D
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 am

Dustin,

Prevarication is a formal, polite, and somewhat archaic term for saying or writing or implying something that you know to be false.

The Vulcan term is "exaggeration".

The vulgar term I would never use in regards to you.

NNiNN

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 am

One of the guys I went to superstars with just got his HM today. Trying to figure out if it was a paper sub.

Thanks for the upset tummy!

Anyone else heard anything else?

D
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Isto

Postby Isto » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Isto,
all of us who don't know anything, don't know anything, so naturally we're all hoping no one knows anything.

Seems like you're assuming the finalists have been called. I hope that assumption is wrong.

We're certainly not trying to call anyone out. More likely, we're trying to get everyone to raise their hands so we know for SURE that finalists haven't yet been called and we can go on hoping.

At least, that's my interpretation of Marina's post. (not trying to speak for her, just guessing.) More guessing! Ack! wotf013

D

I like her post better... she at least entertained the idea (however, briefly) that I might be protesting for myself! wotf013 I once did suspect that all finalists had been called, but now believe the long wait was probably due to contract negotiations. I knew exactly what she was trying to do and why. I didn't think she was trying to call anyone out on purpose, but also realized that might be the inadvertent result. (Especially since I thought Marina was one of them). I suspect now we'll see the remaining R's and HM's before that happens. Hopefully, soon.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:25 am

So regular HMs are going out to the hold pile? wotf003

I fully expect to get a straight up rejection now.

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
Sorry about the he/she stuff, my memory has more holes than a screen.

D

For a second, I read that as "computer screen" and wanted to know what sort of screens got holes in them. Gunfire in the area? Errant marshmallows launched at mach3 or higher from our modified launcher?
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 am

francisbruno wrote:I haven't heard anything, but I've been in the hospital all week (was supposed to leave monday). I could use some good news if Joni wants to give me a call wotf006
At least I should be leaving in a few minutes.

Hope everything's ok.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am

Results are coming? *starts munching from the bowl of popcorn*
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:48 am

Re: HMs for the hold pile

Remember that a new judge changes everything. What would have been a rejection, HM, Semi - even Finalist - for KD may not hold true for Dave.

Judging by the stories in the anthologies, KD favored sci-fi with a technical edge. I might even go so far as to say hard sci-fi. Dave campaigns for riveting emotion, something I often wanted more of in the average story in the anthology. What KD loved may fall flat for Dave, and what Dave loves might have been 'meh' for KD.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:51 am

Kary James wrote:Re: HMs for the hold pile

Remember that a new judge changes everything. What would have been a rejection, HM, Semi - even Finalist - for KD may not hold true for Dave.

Judging by the stories in the anthologies, KD favored sci-fi with a technical edge. I might even go so far as to say hard sci-fi. Dave campaigns for riveting emotion, something I often wanted more of in the average story in the anthology. What KD loved may fall flat for Dave, and what Dave loves might have been 'meh' for KD.

Yep!
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:56 am

Great. I don't even have a story in the running for Q1 and I can't stop checking this forum.

wotf040
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 am

morshana wrote:Great. I don't even have a story in the running for Q1 and I can't stop checking this forum.

wotf040

I second this sentiment. And wish to help achieve the goal of 100 pages!

wotf024
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 am

Kary James wrote:Judging by the stories in the anthologies, KD favored sci-fi with a technical edge. I might even go so far as to say hard sci-fi. Dave campaigns for riveting emotion, something I often wanted more of in the average story in the anthology. What KD loved may fall flat for Dave, and what Dave loves might have been 'meh' for KD.

That's a good point. Based upon Dave's own writing, I wonder if we're going to start to see an uptick in fantasy making it into the anthologies over the next few years.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 am

I think I should make one more post (after this one) and then go silent. Just to make Tina crazy...

NNiNN

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:
morshana wrote:Great. I don't even have a story in the running for Q1 and I can't stop checking this forum.

wotf040

I second this sentiment. And wish to help achieve the goal of 100 pages!

wotf024

Agreed! I'm insanely curious to see who the finalists are for Q1 and don't expect Q2 results for quite some time (poor, lonely Q2) and my Q3 is, in my opinion, much better than either of my other submissions this year. Looks like I've got a long wait ahead, and what better place to kill time than with good ol' Q1!

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:06 am

Oh noes. wotf018 I don't like the sound of that.
Gator? Where are you dear?

Hmm, she's sunk to the bottom of the swamp, better go and get her. wotf005
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Just to make Tina crazy...

I do believe that ship has sailed. Or perhaps there are those among us who still claim to have a grip on sanity?

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:21 am

austinDm wrote:
Kary James wrote:Judging by the stories in the anthologies, KD favored sci-fi with a technical edge. I might even go so far as to say hard sci-fi. Dave campaigns for riveting emotion, something I often wanted more of in the average story in the anthology. What KD loved may fall flat for Dave, and what Dave loves might have been 'meh' for KD.

That's a good point. Based upon Dave's own writing, I wonder if we're going to start to see an uptick in fantasy making it into the anthologies over the next few years.

Personally, I would like that. I thought the pendulum had swung too far toward sci-fi. I'd enjoy seeing more balance.

David Carani told me he sees his Gold Award story as fantasy, but to me, it's sci-fi. I see pocket dimensions as a science / physics thing rather than a fantasy thing, though I suppose one could quibble.

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 am

Kary James wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Just to make Tina crazy...

I do believe that ship has sailed. Or perhaps there are those among us who still claim to have a grip on sanity?

Nope. And didn't Tina already hand out the straight-jack...I mean coats with nice long sleeves and buckles?
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 am

austinDm wrote:

Counter-argument:

My semi-finalist was a historical fantasy set in feudal Japan.

All my "Sci-fi with a technical edge" pieces have received flat rejections and an HM. (Of course, this might just mean I should quit trying to do SF...)

More important counter-argument: "Living Rooms." wotf011

Kary James wrote:
austinDm wrote:

Personally, I would like that. I thought the pendulum had swung too far toward sci-fi. I'd enjoy seeing more balance.

David Carani told me he sees his Gold Award story as fantasy, but to me, it's sci-fi. I see pocket dimensions as a science / physics thing rather than a fantasy thing, though I suppose one could quibble.

Science Fantasy! wotf007

Also, here's a good quote for all you waiters and gators:
A certain be-dressing-gowned fictional Englishman wrote:It must be a Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays...
Last edited by s_c_baker on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 am

Kary James wrote:
austinDm wrote:

I loved all the stories from two anthologies ago (not the latest one, that I have not yet purchased), but thought most were hard sci-fi. More fantasy would be good, I think, if the stories are deemed worthy of being included. =)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 am

Oh, yes - there have been wonderful, winning fantasy stories. I don't mean to say that none have won. (I loved the Maddy Dune story!) Only that they are nowhere near as frequent as sci-fi stories. I'm sure the reasons vary, but I think first-judge preference might be part of the equation.

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:45 am

I know someone who received an HM for Q1 today. Buckle down, me hearties...
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

gwasch

Postby gwasch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 am

Checking in to help maintain or further destroy sanity, depending on your perspective. No news!

I've got complicated opinions about Dave which are left in the ether of not actually knowing him. But I do think that a man of his caliber wouldn't accept the responsibility of judging this contest unless he was willing and able to give it the priority and respect it deserves.

I'll definitely be curious to see what he's picking for the anthology, even if it's not me.

Jennifer Hicks

Postby Jennifer Hicks » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:52 am

Grayson Morris wrote:I know someone who received an HM for Q1 today. Buckle down, me hearties...

Grayson, do you know if that person was in the "hold" pile or a paper sub?
Jennifer Campbell-Hicks
my blog: http://jennifercampbellhicks.blogspot.com

1X Finalist
2X Semi-finalist
2X Silver HM
13X HM

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

Jennifer Hicks wrote:
Grayson Morris wrote:I know someone who received an HM for Q1 today. Buckle down, me hearties...

Grayson, do you know if that person was in the "hold" pile or a paper sub?

No, sorry, I don't. I can ask, though.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”