Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
gower21

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby gower21 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Hey, ya all! I'm still here!!! I'm just am knee deep in my Q3 story and want to finish before announcements are made. I always feel better getting it done before then.

I'll be back if announcements are made soon and take a break from writing. Which sounds soon? Yikes. Martin seem to have "inside" knowledge from a *suspicious* source that all calls have been made and that announcements will be soon. I better get writing.

....in the meantime. I'm going to slip into something more festive for my 1,000th post!!!

This quarter really has been epic.

ETA: I'm going to have to be man down for a while...keep. going. with. out. me. We. can make it to.....101....

gwasch

Postby gwasch » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Wait, what, it's over? And my story WAS received... I don't know how I placed yet though, but... no phone call... you know what, I'm out.

Not to be a poor sport but I want to write longer works now and I actually liked writing for K.D.... now, not so much. Not slightly. Bad taste in my mouth kind of stuff. Novels are a kajillion times better than short stories anyway.

You guys have been great, though, and I'll probably lazily watch as time goes on. (I've actually got some work in Q3 I think) Grats to everyone who's placing anyway.

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:57 pm

That's it, people, let your finger-pointing flags fly. wotf011

Just saw the post above me--don't leave us!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 pm

gower21 wrote:....in the meantime. I'm going to slip into something more festive for my 1,000th post!!!

More festive than a yellow ribbon with a bunny-slippered spaceman???

UNPOSSIBLE!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 am

Yep, no call for me.

So there ends my WotF run. Have fun kids!

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 am

izanobu wrote:Yep, no call for me.

wotf014
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:29 am

Kary James wrote:So as I was saying (download the book), I don't think 100 pages will be hard (download the book) at all.

wotf019

morshana wrote:Hm... So results came on a Saturday. I mean a Thursday. =)

Everyday is Thursday.

WriteToLive wrote:Hmm....It's all beginning to make sense now...

Tina and Martin are MIA right around the time the rumors of finalists are floating about.wotf007

Martin abstained from the forum several days before the finalist calls started. >.>

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:

wotf014

wotf014

gwasch wrote:Wait, what, it's over? And my story WAS received... I don't know how I placed yet though, but... no phone call... you know what, I'm out.

Not to be a poor sport but I want to write longer works now and I actually liked writing for K.D.... now, not so much. Not slightly. Bad taste in my mouth kind of stuff. Novels are a kajillion times better than short stories anyway.

You guys have been great, though, and I'll probably lazily watch as time goes on. (I've actually got some work in Q3 I think) Grats to everyone who's placing anyway.

It's been a rough quarter. Don't commit to stopping now. Maybe keep the contest in mind. Perhaps, even in the throws of novel writing, you'll have a short story idea you like and if you haven't pro'd out yet, there's no sense in not submitting it to WotF. The benefits if you win greatly outweigh the six month wait for results when compared to the benefit/wait ratio of most other short fiction markets.

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:42 am

Never give up. You submit until you're clawing your way through that submission portal and Joni has to crack the electro-whip at you get you out of everyone else's way.
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:43 am

No call for me this time.

Now we wait to see where the chips fall. Hopefully we hear before Thursday.

D
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:45 am

wotf014

I had you pegged for at least third place this quarter.

Then again, some of the best writers never won this competition. Sorry to see you go, though, Annie.

But, give us a few years. You'll prolly end up seeing us on the SFWA's forums. wotf011
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 am

Strycher wrote:

Tina and Martin are MIA right around the time the rumors of finalists are floating about.wotf007

Martin abstained from the forum several days before the finalist calls started. >.>

And I have it on quite good authority that Tina is battling an illness which causes her to turn into a grapefruit at inopportune times.

Isn't that right, Tina?

See? There she goes again! It's quite inconvenient--and just imagine how her poor family must feel.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:05 am

So I'm guessing my Q1 entry is a Semi-Finalist (I hope).
But I did get some good news today (writing related), however, I can't say what it is for a few days wotf010
But it was a nice consultation prize.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

Jennifer Hicks

Postby Jennifer Hicks » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:24 am

No call for me, but I didn't expect one. I'm predicting an HM for myself.

Congrats to the finalists who are jumping up and down in crazy, silent excitement.
Jennifer Campbell-Hicks
my blog: http://jennifercampbellhicks.blogspot.com

1X Finalist
2X Semi-finalist
2X Silver HM
13X HM

morshana

Postby morshana » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:36 am

No call for Annie? :(

I'm sorry to hear about Dustin and francisbruno, too!

And don't give up gwasch! Never give up!

Krystal - How could I forget that every day is Thursday?? Of course, since results started emerging, I think that hole closed up in the space-time continuum. Of course, as Stewart was so kind to point out, Tina is *also* experiencing the "problem." Fruit anyone? *hands out spoons* wotf011
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51 am

So if somebody said on some other site that all the Finalists had been called, then we can't be too far away from the big list, right?

RIGHT?!?

wotf060
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:52 am

morshana wrote: Of course, as Stewart was so kind to point out, Tina is *also* experiencing the "problem." Fruit anyone? *hands out spoons* wotf011

Ooooh, Yummy! *grabs a spoon*

Wait... grapefruits is people?

AaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 am

Kary James wrote:
morshana wrote: Of course, as Stewart was so kind to point out, Tina is *also* experiencing the "problem." Fruit anyone? *hands out spoons* wotf011

Ooooh, Yummy! *grabs a spoon*

Wait... grapefruits is people?

AaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Logical fallacy. Some people are grapefruit != all grapefruit are people. wotf007
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:30 am

Strycher wrote:

I'll just take this opportunity to point out that KD said, at least once (because it got immortalized in the Hatrack thread that's been linked to here, on KD's advice about the contest), that sometimes she reads a story that she marks a finalist right away. No waffling, no waiting to see how strong the competition is. So, in theory, some finalists could have been marked as finalists right away, and called long before this weekend.

And just imagine how awesome that would be...not only are you a finalist, you're a "so fantastic I don't even have to know what anyone else wrote" finalist.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 am

Grayson Morris wrote:
Strycher wrote:

I'll just take this opportunity to point out that KD said, at least once (because it got immortalized in the Hatrack thread that's been linked to here, on KD's advice about the contest), that sometimes she reads a story that she marks a finalist right away. No waffling, no waiting to see how strong the competition is. So, in theory, some finalists could have been marked as finalists right away, and called long before this weekend.

And just imagine how awesome that would be...not only are you a finalist, you're a "so fantastic I don't even have to know what anyone else wrote" finalist.

Not that I'm trying to increase the man's legend (or to attempt to bump this thread to 100 pages), but I have it on good authority that one Brad Freakin' Torgersen was one such finalist.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

wanczykj

Postby wanczykj » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:19 am

Curious . . . I've been lurking in these forums, reading the reactions, the posts of the various states of the authors stories, and now, and the anticipation of the list of finalists. I've only submitted a few times over the past ten years, but I've always received a rejection letter, or a rejection email. This time around, when I noticed writers here posting their rejections and their determination to keep writing, and I didn't receive a notice, I felt there may be a chance of recognition, even if it was only a pat on the back for not being rejected in the first round.

However, my impression from reading the posts of all the long-standing WOTFphiles out there is that finalists have been called, and that the rest of us are simply waiting to see the list. At the time I submitted my story for consideration I didn't have a phone, but figured if I made it as far as an honorable mention this time around, they would send an email. I did receive an email that my story had been successfully submitted into the contest for Q1 back in February, but I haven't heard anything from them (other than, "please take our survey") since, and was wondering if anybody here knew if a writer could be disqualified for not having a valid phone number?

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 am

I'm very close to 100% certain that would not disqualify you.

You would be notified by e-mail, regular mail, or not at all.

Last year I had an entry not appear on the blog and not get rejected. Six months later I e-mailed Joni and she said I'd gotten an HM and they sent the cert.

So, possibly your entry is an HM, or even an unfortunate reject. (Some are still coming.) But if they can't reach you, they won't chuck the entry - they'll just wait for your eventual query. wotf011

D
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:32 am

No, you certainly wouldn't be disqualified for not having a phone.

Keep your chin up, though! The list is important because some people don't find out where they've placed until it is posted--I didn't know about one of my HMs until the list appeared. So there's still hope of some placement.

And even if you don't get anything this time around, keep trying! As we like to say: the only way to fail is to quit.
~Marina

wanczykj

Postby wanczykj » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:35 am

Dustin Adams wrote:I'm very close to 100% certain that would not disqualify you.

You would be notified by e-mail, regular mail, or not at all.

Last year I had an entry not appear on the blog and not get rejected. Six months later I e-mailed Joni and she said I'd gotten an HM and they sent the cert.

So, possibly your entry is an HM, or even an unfortunate reject. (Some are still coming.) But if they can't reach you, they won't chuck the entry - they'll just wait for your eventual query. wotf011

D

It's good to know they wouldn't toss it aside, thanks for the info. I'll assume the worst at this point, and just keep submitting. On to the next story . . .

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 am

David Farland's latest Daily Kick - How Dumb Are Your Readers - is a hoot!

DavidFarland wrote:Maybe you shouldn’t smoke crack while you’re reading.

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 am

Kary James wrote:David Farland's latest Daily Kick - How Dumb Are Your Readers - is a hoot!

DavidFarland wrote:Maybe you shouldn’t smoke crack while you’re reading.

You can't tell me when to smoke crack. I like smoking crack when I read. wotf037
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 am

Hmm, that Kick looks a bit like a rant in disguise...
~Marina

onelowerlight

Postby onelowerlight » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:26 am

Dustin Adams wrote:You would be notified by e-mail, regular mail, or not at all.

So in other words, NNiNN?

I think they would at least try to email the people they couldn't contact by phone...but I have no idea. I didn't get a call, but I'm also unreachable by phone right now. No email either, but...

Gah! Just give us the results already!

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 am

onelowerlight wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:You would be notified by e-mail, regular mail, or not at all.

So in other words, NNiNN?

I think they would at least try to email the people they couldn't contact by phone...but I have no idea. I didn't get a call, but I'm also unreachable by phone right now. No email either, but...

Gah! Just give us the results already!

Presumably, though, they wouldn't say "all finalists have been called" is they hadn't been able to get in touch with some of the finalists. I think, unfortunately, at this point--at least in regards to finalist placement--NNiNLNN (no longer no news).

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 am

wanczykj wrote:Curious . . . I've been lurking in these forums, reading the reactions, the posts of the various states of the authors stories, and now, and the anticipation of the list of finalists. I've only submitted a few times over the past ten years, but I've always received a rejection letter, or a rejection email. This time around, when I noticed writers here posting their rejections and their determination to keep writing, and I didn't receive a notice, I felt there may be a chance of recognition, even if it was only a pat on the back for not being rejected in the first round.

However, my impression from reading the posts of all the long-standing WOTFphiles out there is that finalists have been called, and that the rest of us are simply waiting to see the list. At the time I submitted my story for consideration I didn't have a phone, but figured if I made it as far as an honorable mention this time around, they would send an email. I did receive an email that my story had been successfully submitted into the contest for Q1 back in February, but I haven't heard anything from them (other than, "please take our survey") since, and was wondering if anybody here knew if a writer could be disqualified for not having a valid phone number?

Perhaps I misread, but in the second paragraph, you mentioned that it was successfully submitted into the contest for Q1 back in February... but (if I understand correctly) a February submission would go into the Q2 category. If that's the case, then you may still hear from someone when those stories are processed. Of course, if you meant that you received the notice of receipt of the story in February (and the story was submitted before the end of December), then I you would be in Q1. Hope that helped wotf011 or if I am confused, then I hope it didn't spread the confusion wotf003
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan

venvariants

Postby venvariants » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 am

I like ponies, Cap'n. I...I dig a pony.
ven

V29 Q1: R
V29 Q2: Big, Fat R
V29 Q3: Submitted

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”