Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
MJNL

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby MJNL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Thank you, Alastair! Thank you, Dawn! Thank you, Krystal! Thank you, Kary! Thank you, Bill! Thank you, Jeanette! Thank you, Brad! Thank you, Rebecca! Thank you, Francis! Thank you, Amanda!

Ditto!

Thank you all!

Martin has the more epic tale of waiting, I think.

I got the call Saturday evening when I was out to dinner with my husband. If Joni had called a half an hour later my phone would have been off--we went to the movies. And usually when I turn my phone off I forget to turn it back on, almost always for a few days.
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm

So you have back-to-back Finalists, Marina? Q4, 2011 and Q1, 2012? Impressive!
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Yup--Thank you!
~Marina

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Not only back to back, but three volumes running, and two judges!

She's taking over.

Time for a W tho. Seriously. wotf013
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Only a matter of time for you folks with names starting with M.
As for Tina. Welcome to the party!

Now you get to.....

Wait some more! wotf010

Wait, what if our last name starts with 'M?' Makes me glad I changed it back after the divorce.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I'm baaaaaaack... And I've brought some friends!

FIRST QUARTER FINALISTS

Jeremy Brink from Texas
Holly Heisey from Arizona
Marina J. Lostetter from Arkansas
Sean Monaghan from Manawatu, New Zealand
Tina Smith from California
Martin Shoemaker from Michigan
Stephen Sottong from California
Chris Stamp of Perthshire, United Kingdom

Congratulations to my fellow Finalists! And especially Jeremy, Holly, Marina, and Tina!

My thousandth post on WOTF:

Here it is, a milestone. I wondered and wondered what I could do for my thousandth post. I didn’t realize it was close until I made that little joke to Martin a while back. I’m glad he held back his 2000th for a special occasion. Yes it’s true, I’m a Finalist this quarter, but I didn’t want my 1000th post to be about me, how I got the call, the story behind my story, or anything like that. I wanted this post to be all about you. All of you. I think I’ll only mention a few, the ones I feel helped me and others in some way, but that doesn’t mean if I don’t mention you, that I don’t notice you.

So here we go:

Rebecca— You have become an awesome online friend. The moment we started our 500-words a day challenge last fall and we both stuck through it-- dental crisis and all, I knew I’d found a kindred spirit. You have a gifted voice in your writing. I’m swept away every time I read your words. I learned so much from you and doing daily “positive” critiques of our 500. It was nice to know what was going right for a change, rather than focus on what was wrong.

Dustin—You have a gift on seeing potential in words and stories. You know exactly what to pick out as the elephant in the room. You have no mercy, yet you deliver the words in a way that make it seem doable. We haven’t exchanged much, but I’m so impressed with your energy to help others on the board, by helping those who’ve only gotten rejections up to this point. When I came on this board I felt that was missing. Oh, and that first 450 version of your story I read back in October or November? That story had Hollywood power. That story would impress David Farland. Just my 2cents.

Kary—You are so incredibly awesome. I feel you might be at an unfair disadvantage having been the only person I’ve actually met. So I’ll try not to overload you with too much praise. You are as funny in real life as you are on the board. Your focus is amazing. You just keep on going, through any setback. Your stories, OMG-- they blow me away. I get drawn right in and forget to breath sometimes. Something you have is special and it will get noticed.

Elinor/Gator—You’ve made me laugh so many times, I can’t count. You did one critique for me a long, long time ago, for no exchange whatsoever. I don’t think people realize how talented of an editor you also are (as well as noticing the evidence of your skill in writing. I still haven’t read any of your stories, but Martin says you wrote a story he wished he had). I don’t know which one of you has the sharp eye, you or the gator, maybe it’s you both together that makes it work.

Michael—You’re going to go very far, very quickly. You have a work ethic on writing that matches our super stars like Annie and Thomas.

Annie and Thomas—Thank you both for coming on this board and sharing your business perspective. I’ve learned a lot. I know others are benefiting from your posts. I also hold the successes you’ve both had highly in my mind…..which goes with my next one:

Success and self-pub thread participants: I’ve read as many stories I could that were published by WOTFers. I feel this improved me the fastest. David Farland said that there is a secret language to writing in each genre and you can only get that by reading those works to get it. Reading all your publications, not only affirmed to me that hard work will pay off, but taught me a little about that secret language and what it takes to float to the top.

Stewart: I think you rate as the top person I exchange with. I remember the day I first got a PM from you to exchange. I believe it was Michaels “exchange” forum that lured you over to the WOTF board. You weren’t on the board yet and I had no clue you were a semi-finalist before and I sat my mouth agape, thinking, Oh god!! How will I ever get to this level of writing? I thought “oh dear” I’ve exchanged with one of those grammar Nazi types I avoid like the plague. Your sharp. You notice things on the board and its fun to have someone to secretly speculate with and I guess we did sort of chase off that one guy together, but he needed to go, anyway. He felt having smilies available were showing our lack of professionalism. Which was awesome because it brought on Bob Writer and for that I will always suspect you….

Krystal: We’ve exchanged quite a few times as well. I think we were the first on this board to take a plunge in critiquing along with Michael and for that I’m internally grateful. YOU are the plot credibility master. Logic is your strong suit and a beautiful writing style to go with it, deadly combination. Remember that dream you’d mentioned about being at the awards ceremony? I think it could come true.

Amanda- When you vowed to win this contest for KD I think I stood up and cheered. I want so many of you guys to win. I want to hear the acceptance speech you’ll write one day soon. Really soon.

Jeanette: I’ve come to look forward to your enthusiasm on the board. We’ve exchanged once and I’m so impressed with what you have to offer. There are so many talented people on this board. It’s nice to have fellow moms (Kary, Rebecca, Krystal…I guess I’ll have to add on Stewart because he IS a feminist, but he’s the only guy I’ll allow to sneak on our “mom” list) on here trying to write around naptime, bedtime, fighting and crying times.

Holly—My secret Finalist phone sister ☺ I think by now you’ve all figured the “conference” call he was alluding to on Facebook was mine and Holly’s. If there are any surprises left after we’ve all secretry secret-ed emailed each other.

Marina—I cant believe I’ve only ever read the first 450 words of your stories, but you have a sparkle in them and a special something that is obvious, since you’ve landed Finalist multiple times now. I really want you to win; your professionalism and your ability to keep your cool have earned huge respect from me.

Martin – I consider you a mentor of sorts. Especially with the encouragement you’ve given me the last few weeks. And you always have the right thing to say to keep the energy on the board. When George said you were like a spokesperson for the board, it felt right. You are a leader. If you shine this much on a computer screen then I fear what your full wattage is in real life.

Everyone: You are someone I like to call “Glue” everyone of you represents a type of person that is essential to any community. You make jokes, you pull people into conversations, and you ask the questions I don’t think of. It takes more than one person to develop into the positive community we have here.

Here’s to defying probability, statistics and laws of gravity! I’m so happy I think I could float!!

(So there you go—A thousand (plus) words for a thousand posts. I dedicate them to all of you....which I had planned before I found out, so I guess that makes 1K even more special. You can go to my blog --link in my signature-- if you want the Story behind the story).

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Not only back to back, but three volumes running, and two judges!

She's taking over.

Time for a W tho. Seriously. wotf013

Thanks. A win would be nice. But if not, Dr. Phil and I can rule the WotF galaxy together on the dark side!
~Marina

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

That is an epic post, Tina. And so sweet!

*Giving digital hug*
~Marina

wellsdesigned

Postby wellsdesigned » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Congratulations to you all. It is an honor to have come out on top of such a unique quarter.

Will Mitchell

Postby Will Mitchell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Congratulations everyone! I hope the wait for the final round of judging isn't as arduous. I'm really looking forward to seeing who the winners are given the number of forum regulars on that list.

Will.
2009: Finalist
2010: HM
2011: Winner - 1st place, Q3 vol 28
http://www.wmfiction.com

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Huzzah! Announcements! And it's not even Thursday.

Tina, great 1000th post but...
Stewart:...... I thought “oh dear” I’ve exchanged with one of those grammar Nazi types I avoid like the plague. Your sharp. ......

You did that on purpose, didn't you? ... Didn't you!? wotf019

'grats to Tina, Martin, Marina, Holly, UEM.... *ahem* Jeremy, Sean, Stephen, and Chris. (Good to see a few non-USians on the list. wotf008 )

Looking forward to see who comes out on top, but so far as I'm concerned anyone who makes Finalist is already a winner. wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:So, Tina, I have to ask, is this the story that had the most epic, slide in under the wire submission story ever?

Just to reiterate--it was, wasn't it? Your husband will have to get extra awesome-cool-husband points.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

venvariants

Postby venvariants » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Now what? wotf005
ven

V29 Q1: R
V29 Q2: Big, Fat R
V29 Q3: Submitted

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Yeah, congratulations to the winners / finalists. About time :) Well done Martin and Marina and Tina. You've done the list proud. wotf010
8 HMs.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Aww, Tina. *huuuuuuuug* Thanks for that awesome post.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Man, I leave for the day and come home from picking my son up from summer camp to see chaos break out. So much fun has been had in this thread.

Yep the story is the one we had to rush to the post office at midnight on New Year's Day. The details are in the blog post --link below in my sig--

My call came in the middle of a funeral. I get points for having the most unusual location of a Finalist call and Holly and I were Joni's first conference call. We happened to call back at the same time. Joni called me right in the middle of my sister-in-law's beautiful eulogy about her father. I was watching the casket get carried into the truck when Tyler came back (he was a pall-bearer) and said that phone call we got was from WOTF. I missed the grave side service to call Joni back.

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Yes, yes it was. Where are my tissues?
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Semi-Finalist x1

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:13 pm

@ Tina - Awwww *hugs!*

@ the rest of the WOTF world - Hmmm, I may have to change my name. Karina? ... Kartina? ... Karmita??

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Thank you, Dustin! Sorry I missed you the first time.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Thank you, Tina! That post goes up there right next to Elinor's story on my "I wish I had written that" shelf.

(And I'm not kidding: I wish I had written Elinor's story. Those must be some incredible Finalist stories if they beat out Elinor's. And I'm not sure how mine did.)

NNiNN

gower21

Re: Q1 Volume 29

Postby gower21 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:16 pm

gower21 wrote:Been trying to submit for the last few hours, but it says the contest is closed when I try to submit online. This is a total bummer!

Here is the beginning of that little exchange. It's on page 13 of this Quarter thread. I post the picture of the time stamp on my submission several posts later.

Holly Heisey

Postby Holly Heisey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Oo, it's all official now! Congrats to Martin, Marina, Tina, Jeremy, Sean, Stephen, and Chris, and everyone on the lists to come! :D And thanks everyone! Y'all wrangled me in and made me feel welcome here, making this all the more exciting.

And very cool milestone post Tina, Finalist phone sister, who shared the most epic awesome conference call ever. wotf001

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Thank you, Tom! Thank you, Stewart! Thank you, ven! Thank you, David!

Thank you, Will! Thank you, Holly! Where's Marshall? (Am I showing my age with that joke?)

NNiNN

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Holly Heisey wrote:Oo, it's all official now! Congrats to Martin, Marina, Tina, Jeremy, Sean, Stephen, and Chris, and everyone on the lists to come! :D And thanks everyone! Y'all wrangled me in and made me feel welcome here, making this all the more exciting.

And very cool milestone post Tina, Finalist phone sister, who shared the most epic awesome conference call ever. wotf001

We totally rocked the conference call.

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Where's Marshall? (Am I showing my age with that joke?)

Well, if you were worried about that you could always try "Thank you, John-boy," instead.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Man, Tina, there you go making me cry again!

*searches for kleenex*

I am so excited for all of you finalist-types. What a wonderful, thrilling moment.

I hope the waiting time for the winners doesn't take too long (the NERVES...how frazzled they must be!), and no matter whether you win or not, this is a huge testament to your writing.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Congratulations Martin, Tina and Marina.... (and to Holly and Jeremy and the others)

cheers

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Strycher wrote:When did you guys find out you were finalists? Tell us the tale of the mythical Joni phone call!

I'm reluctant to answer, because it's a sad story. No jokes here, no Evil Martin, it's sad. But we're family, we can share this together.

I can tell you to the minute when I got the call. I had just posted this teasing post:

This is a drill. This is only a drill. wotf013

The stories I could tell you...
The stories I could tell you...

I just was trying to lighten the mood and lay down an alibi when I posted that. But literally as I clicked the Submit button, the phone rang. Loving coincidences as I do, I knew it had to be Joni. Who else could it be? And it was. And she was bright and cheerful and upbeat. We shared Michigan stories (she's a Michigan native, like me). We traded jokes about the anxiety on the forum. She was everything you could want in a Finalist call. She made it memorable.

Even when I mentioned how we were all worried about K.D., she never once showed the hint of sadness that she had lost her dear friend that day. I felt like an absolute heel the next day; but when I wrote her to apologize, she graciously told me it was all right.

So this is why I have been doing my best to encourage people here, to keep up their spirits. This is why I've been saying in ways subtle and not so subtle that I trust Joni will see things through and make sure the contest continues. Even in her grief, she was doing so. For K.D.'s memory, I'm sure.

When I say Joni is made of steel, I mean it. Spirit of steel, heart of gold, persona of warm comforting fluffiness, and more energy than even Meghan.

So that's the story, but I won't call it my story. It's Joni's story, in honor of K.D. Wentworth. I was just honored to get a glimpse into it, and now to share that glimpse with people who will appreciate it like I did.
Last edited by Martin L. Shoemaker on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NNiNN

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Kary James wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Where's Marshall? (Am I showing my age with that joke?)

Well, if you were worried about that you could always try "Thank you, John-boy," instead.

Show of hands, among you folks old enough to have watched: John-Boy was one of your idols, wasn't he? Also Harris on "Barney Miller" and Raj on "What's Happening?" and Michael on "Good Times".

NNiNN

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Oh, no.

That is awful.

R.I.P., K.D.

And then there was this on the next page. Damn, man. Is that when you realized it?
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Semi-Finalist x1

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”