Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Jennifer Hicks

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby Jennifer Hicks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 am

Sorry to everyone who got rejections this morning. What a weird quarter this is. Does that leave just us LAMPS still waiting? After seeing the stellar lineup of writers who got rejected this morning, I'm fully expecting a form rejection of my own in the e-mail or snail-mail box any day now.
Jennifer Campbell-Hicks
my blog: http://jennifercampbellhicks.blogspot.com

1X Finalist
2X Semi-finalist
2X Silver HM
13X HM

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:40 am

dantzel wrote:
It's also very clear that even finalists in one quarter can have a flat rejection in the next, even by KD - so this doesn't sound very different.

It feels a little silly using myself as an example, but I think it's appropriate. Roughly half of the responses I've gotten from the contest have been straight rejections. I think it's improbable that my basic skill level has fluctuated from top of the heap to bottom of the barrel every few months--so I think it's safe to say that while KD and DF both had/have notes about why you could get straight rejected (and most of them are basic prose problems), it doesn't always mean that those were definitely the reasons behind a straight rejection.

In other words, the contest wants what the contest wants--all a rejection really tells you is that the judge(s) didn't think it fit.
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:42 am

With luck you've got another semi, Jennifer. Someone must be getting the semis. wotf017
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

gower21

Postby gower21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:48 am

Yes. The Semi's are out there. Someone had to get them.

AlistairKimble

Postby AlistairKimble » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 am

I'm really sorry to hear about all the rejections. I was so sure all the hold pile people were at least HMs or higher. Rejection sucks, no doubt, but keep at it! Perseverance is the key don't give up.

Don't make DF's job easier, if you think DF hates your writing you're helping him out by not submitting. Make him read your work and reject it, that's his job not yours. Writers are the worst judges of their own work.

Isto

Postby Isto » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:05 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:That's true, Marina. We don't *really* know if KD saw merit in our stories, maybe she just hadn't got around to reading them yet after all. wotf017 But judging by the number of us with previous SFs etc in that hold pile, it didn't seem like a random selection.

As for my story length: 3700 words. Short, yes! Maybe that was what he really didn't like! wotf006 My KD SF was, incidently, also 3700 words. wotf001 I still haven't written anything over 6000, though I was planning on making a big effort to do that for Q4. Though now, I'm less sure about that. If I'm not likely to do very well here anymore, maybe I'm better off sticking to the short ones and aiming elsewhere. wotf017

I would be interested to see what the lengths of everyone's stories are too. If we all wrote short ones, it might tell us something.

I would doubt that they would bother contacting you about the hold pile if it weren't potentially a finalist or semi. I believe it was Joni's way of expressing what KD valued, knowing that the new judge might have a different view. I haven't heard a word. Probably just slap my R in my SASE and toss it in the mail. My story was dark as well and I'm hoping that KD didn't get around to reading it.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

Jennifer Hicks

Postby Jennifer Hicks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:With luck you've got another semi, Jennifer. Someone must be getting the semis. wotf017

Thanks, but I'm not counting on it. Under KDW, I would say my story was a solid HM (although my predictions have been wrong many times). Now that so many stories KDW marked as "holds" have not floated DW's boat, anything is possible, I suppose.
Jennifer Campbell-Hicks
my blog: http://jennifercampbellhicks.blogspot.com

1X Finalist
2X Semi-finalist
2X Silver HM
13X HM

Isto

Postby Isto » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:16 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:As for my story length: 3700 words. Short, yes! Maybe that was what he really didn't like! wotf006 My KD SF was, incidently, also 3700 words. wotf001 I still haven't written anything over 6000, though I was planning on making a big effort to do that for Q4. Though now, I'm less sure about that. If I'm not likely to do very well here anymore, maybe I'm better off sticking to the short ones and aiming elsewhere. wotf017

I would be interested to see what the lengths of everyone's stories are too. If we all wrote short ones, it might tell us something.

Oh, mine was 4300 words.
- Isto
R-R-Semi

ScottEubanks

Postby ScottEubanks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 am

AlistairKimble wrote:I'm really sorry to hear about all the rejections. I was so sure all the hold pile people were at least HMs or higher. Rejection sucks, no doubt, but keep at it! Perseverance is the key don't give up.

Don't make DF's job easier, if you think DF hates your writing you're helping him out by not submitting. Make him read your work and reject it, that's his job not yours. Writers are the worst judges of their own work.

I completely agree. Sorry everyone who got their hopes up.

Personally, I'm never more worried about a piece than when I'm really happy with it. Usually those are the stories that do one or two things really well, but are fatally flawed in a way that I can't see. This is totally subjective, anyway, and some pieces just don't fit one reader's aesthetic--on par with entering curry chicken into a chili cook-off. Just keep sending your work out. I make a collage out of my rejection slips, and I have a friend who has a flock of origami rejection swans.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 am

gower21 wrote:Yes. The Semi's are out there. Someone had to get them.

(This post brought to you by irrelevance, procrastination, the Internet, and Fox Broadcasting Company--but not necessarily in that order.)
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 am

More seriously, though:

AlistairKimble wrote:Don't make DF's job easier, if you think DF hates your writing you're helping him out by not submitting. Make him read your work and reject it, that's his job not yours.

wotf052
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 am

wotf032 X-Files!
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 am

Condolences to getting rejection notices. I don't know if this would help at all, but I think there are some cases where I might prefer a rejection over something higher (I know, I'm a bit weird, maybe). (Also, I don't mean to downplay how cool it is for those getting HM's and SHM's etc.) What I mean is, if my story was rejected, it could be for the reason that the coordinating judge didn't think that it met the criteria of sci-fi/fantasy closely enough (or for some other reason not necessarily directly related to the merits of the story)(or like some have said, perhaps it was too dark for the audience WotF is shooting for, too mature, or too something-else)(hmm... I'm going to end up with more parentheticals than the main point of my comment...) where if it made an HM, they would have read through the whole thing, and decided that it didn't hold up to the competition.

In any case, I would also like to add my encouragement to keep writing to those who have said it before (here, and elsewhere). If you like writing, then you have nothing to lose, and a lot to gain. Soo... those are my thoughts. At least... I think they're mine... I suppose it's possible that they could instead, be mine. wotf001 (supposed to be a reference to... nevermind, you probably get it... okay, I'm done.) wotf002 wotf008
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am

s_c_baker wrote:
gower21 wrote:Yes. The Semi's are out there.

wotf024 Strycher approves of this message.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

ScottEubanks wrote: I make a collage out of my rejection slips, and I have a friend who has a flock of origami rejection swans.

That's awesome, and your friend is a genius. I make origami cranes out of everything else (including cloth dinner napkins at nice restaurants, much to my family's distress), and I may have to take up this passtime.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

gower21

Postby gower21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:51 am

*swoon* X-files. So glad I have Stewart to animate my funny jokes.

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 am

Loved X-Files, too.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Sorry to hear about the flat R news today.

It's normal to feel a bit angry and disappointed, but don't forget that YOU are NOT your story.

I wouldn't stop submitting.

Get back on the horse and write something just as good / even better for Q4!
8 HMs.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:14 pm

DavidK wrote:Sorry to hear about the flat R news today.

It's normal to feel a bit angry and disappointed, but don't forget that YOU are NOT your story.

I wouldn't stop submitting.

Get back on the horse and write something just as good / even better for Q4!

You Aussies are wise people.

Make whatever decisions you want, for whatever reasons make sense to you. But I recommend not deciding anything until you've had a good Five Minute Rant -- or maybe after such a long, frustrating delay, a Five Day Rant -- before making any decisions.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm

For what it's worth, I was in the hold pile and I have heard exactly nothing about my story. So who knows?

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 pm

izanobu wrote:For what it's worth, I was in the hold pile and I have heard exactly nothing about my story. So who knows?

Well let's hope that means you've got a semi, Annie.

gower21

Postby gower21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Yes, please. I really hope this means you got a Semi, Annie. I was thinking today that you'd warned us all not to read tea leaves in the hold pile and we should have listened. I for one was convinced it meant good things for everyone on hold.

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:04 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:
izanobu wrote:For what it's worth, I was in the hold pile and I have heard exactly nothing about my story. So who knows?

Better put up your gator shield! wotf011
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear about everyone who got a rejection today after such an epic wait.

Not fun at all.
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 34 original stories and 6 reprints
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:53 pm

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:

Better put up your gator shield! wotf011

Why's that? I already tried to eat Annie once. She proved to be too chewy. wotf019

gower21

Postby gower21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:01 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:
Why's that? I already tried to eat Annie once. She proved to be too chewy. wotf019

Oh God, I remember that. I think that was when we first met the Gator and she came out full force. The match was way too bloody and both candidates circled each other endlessly until Brad had to pull out his wicked ninja bo to pry them apart. Fun times, fun times.

ETA: Just saw Jennifer's results above. Sorry to hear about another rejection :( sad results day, guys.

preston

Postby preston » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Still no word for me either. What is going on? More than six months after entering and I'm still stuck in Quarter 1 with no results. At least I'm not totally alone (hi Annie! Isto!),but I am very eager to know what happened to my story. Have to say, I'm beginning to lose hope for even an HM now. All the recent casualties have been grim and sobering. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if there will be any more HMs, or any SHMs or Semi's at all. What if they just decide to skip the blog this time, due to circumstances beyond their control? Where oh where is my story?! The life of a Lamp...sigh. As usual, I guess I'll have to wait for the blog for my results. Tomorrow is thursday -- though I'm not sure that means anything anymore. In fact, the way things are going, I'm looking around to see if Rod Serling is about to introduce himself. I think I smell cigar smoke.
Preston Dennett
(HM x 2) (and still waiting on Q1--can somebody pleeeze give me the Marshmallow gun? I can't take this!)

jdbrink

Postby jdbrink » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:46 pm

I've been afraid to check the forum for the past few days, figuring all the buzz would be the final winning results and I'd thereby find out after everyone else how it turned out. But i guess that hasn't come down yet.

I sympathize with all the rejection-receivers as well. But don't be too discouraged, keep charging ahead. Rejection is necessary to get to the acceptance down the path! No one gets the prize without suffering for it first.

And I don't think any one entry or end result in this contest has any real bearing on your future efforts. Back in 2006 I got a letter from WOTF saying I was a quarter finalist but didn't win (at the time I only got the "didnt win" part and didnt see the value of the rest), and then got flat-out no where on several more submissions over the years, and now I await the final judgement on this quarter, both a blessing and a curse. Save for a few consistant geniuses (mostly that handful here on the forum) who are good about always getting into the final run, i don't think any one entry by a writer can predict success or failure on another entry. What i'm saying is, similar to the lottery where each drawing is totally uneffected by the last, each new contest is chocked full of new entries with unique comparisons and dynamics through the group, and each story YOU produce is very different from the last. Maybe the judge that sees yours likes THIS kind of story this week, liked THAT kind last week. Maybe he/she read something that had an immediate lens effect on the stories he's reading now, will be forgotten next time, etc.

(damn this late night babbling is going on forever....)

Sorry folks, but you get my point. keep writing. your next entry can very well take the cake even if the last didn't get a mention. besides, out of eight that go on as finalists your last story could have been #10 or #16 or #26 out of 2000, so close and you'd never know it, you just assume the worst. The important thing is KEEP WRITING.
J.D. Brink
http://www.jdbrinkfugitive.com
Finalist, volume XXIX, 1st Q

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm

AlistairKimble wrote:I'm really sorry to hear about all the rejections. I was so sure all the hold pile people were at least HMs or higher. Rejection sucks, no doubt, but keep at it! Perseverance is the key don't give up.

wotf009

Too true.

Remember, 170 rejections until I got my first sale. And that includes 5 WotF rejections.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:09 am

After hearing of a few notices, I expected an influx of more... a few in the beginning, and then a bunch as the floodgates opened wider. But, apparently, I was wrong... it must have been a false start to the news. Probably a good thing I suppose... running short on time to finish Q3's first draft :/ and shouldn't be be checking the forum so frequently (should actually be focusing on that rather than writing this post even...) Oh, well, it's over now... back to Q3 :)
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”