Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
AMcCarter

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Postby AMcCarter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 pm

What's all this about Topanga Canyon? I am so totally confused.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm

My commiserations to the recent few as well.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

preston

Postby preston » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Ooh! More rejections. My condolences Gwasch. Better luck next quarter, which feels like only days away. And thanks again guys (Kary, Thomas, SC Baker and all) for your kind words. Now I've got no excuse to give up! wotf018
Hope we get the blog soon. Then we can all move on to obsessing about Q2.
Preston Dennett (aka: Topanga Canyon) Hey, maybe that should be my pen-name. wotf001
(HM x 2)

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:49 pm

preston wrote:Preston Dennett (aka: Topanga Canyon) Hey, maybe that should be my pen-name. wotf001
(HM x 2)

wotf019
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

gwasch

Postby gwasch » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Hehe. I'd like to pretend I'm upset, but I really only was the first day I got the news. . .

Still if I don't place at least HM for the entire year, I'm going to be, uh... flabbergasted.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:18 pm

AMcCarter wrote:What's all this about Topanga Canyon? I am so totally confused.

Here's the relevant thread: http://forum.writersofthefuture.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1130&hilit=topanga+canyon&start=30#p26607

ETA I totally forgot about the "HAIRY-FACED MACAROON-EATING NINCOMPOOP" stuff in that thread. wotf019

preston wrote:Ooh! More rejections. My condolences Gwasch. Better luck next quarter, which feels like only days away. And thanks again guys (Kary, Thomas, SC Baker and all) for your kind words. Now I've got no excuse to give up! wotf018

My only request is that you wait until I magically make grand prize winner so I don't have to compete.

Actually... could I just make that a blanket request? If all you good writers could just kind of not submit for a year or so, I'd really appreciate it. wotf001
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:49 pm

s_c_baker wrote:Actually... could I just make that a blanket request? If all you good writers could just kind of not submit for a year or so, I'd really appreciate it. wotf001

I've been making that request for years. So far, it hasn't worked out. =/

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Strycher wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:Actually... could I just make that a blanket request? If all you good writers could just kind of not submit for a year or so, I'd really appreciate it. wotf001

Some people are just so selfish. wotf005
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:29 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
Strycher wrote:

Some people are just so selfish. wotf005

Or, better yet, tell all of us to submit using unbearably poor English in our stories so that it causes internal hemorrhaging, so that when the coordinating judge reads yours, he immediately grants it Finalist status in thanks for saving him from our entries wotf006

"And now, back to hour story... "Excuse me," some unnamed person said, stretching out his scarred, gnarled, but strangely buteful hand that was wearing one hundred and 2.4 rings on his index finger. Three of which were actually planets. In miniature. And then while he was reaching out his hand, he clasped his fingers around the other person's hand and moved his hand up and down in a handshake. But, all of this was after the fact that I had maked the decision to shake this person's hand, whom I didn't know." The worst part was when I realized that he wasn't in fact another person... it was me! and I had destroyed the world. Three of witch were on my oily, greasy, aromatic finger." ***let's see... did I leave any of DF's 10 reason's that a story gets quickly rejected out?*** Oh. And then everything erupted in a fountain of gore.

wotf015 that was bad. I should apologize. Writing that terribly was cruel of me. Although, reading it, I think I caused myself permanent damage. I'm sorry I won't do it again. :)
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Travesty wrote:"And now, back to hour story... "Excuse me," some unnamed person said, stretching out his scarred, gnarled, but strangely buteful hand that was wearing one hundred and 2.4 rings on his index finger. Three of which were actually planets. In miniature. And then while he was reaching out his hand, he clasped his fingers around the other person's hand and moved his hand up and down in a handshake. But, all of this was after the fact that I had maked the decision to shake this person's hand, whom I didn't know." The worst part was when I realized that he wasn't in fact another person... it was me! and I had destroyed the world. Three of witch were on my oily, greasy, aromatic finger." ***let's see... did I leave any of DF's 10 reason's that a story gets quickly rejected out?*** Oh. And then everything erupted in a fountain of gore.

wotf015 that was bad. I should apologize. Writing that terribly was cruel of me. Although, reading it, I think I caused myself permanent damage. I'm sorry I won't do it again. :)

That is a work of sheer, unbridled genius. wotf015

Only you forgot the part where the unnamed narrator wakes up and it was all just a dream, and then gets dressed and unnecessarily goes to high school for the next 2500 words.

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:36 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
Travesty wrote:"And now, back to hour story... "Excuse me," some unnamed person said, stretching out his scarred, gnarled, but strangely buteful hand that was wearing one hundred and 2.4 rings on his index finger. Three of which were actually planets. In miniature. And then while he was reaching out his hand, he clasped his fingers around the other person's hand and moved his hand up and down in a handshake. But, all of this was after the fact that I had maked the decision to shake this person's hand, whom I didn't know." The worst part was when I realized that he wasn't in fact another person... it was me! and I had destroyed the world. Three of witch were on my oily, greasy, aromatic finger." ***let's see... did I leave any of DF's 10 reason's that a story gets quickly rejected out?*** Oh. And then everything erupted in a fountain of gore.

Only you forgot the part where the unnamed narrator wakes up and it was all just a dream, and then gets dressed and unnecessarily goes to high school for the next 2500 words.

You know... I have to admit that my attempt to amuse myself actually succeeded at the same time it was causing internal hemorrhaging... I found it a little amusing in a painful sort of way. You're certainly right that your suggestion would be the best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) possible continuation of the story... only I don't think I could be cruel enough to inflict that on others. Weaponized literature... huh... proof that the pen is mightier than the sword... or at least more painful.
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:38 pm

And where's the gratuitous sex, hu? Hu? HU?

wotf011
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Jess

Postby Jess » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 pm

MJNL wrote:And where's the gratuitous sex, hu? Hu? HU?

wotf011

In the cover letter, complete with name and contact info, in the form of a pickup line.
Oh dear. I need a signature.
And an avatar.
And probably other things I don't even know about.

I feel naked.

MJNL

Postby MJNL » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Jess wrote:

wotf011

In the cover letter, complete with name and contact info, in the form of a pickup line.

Good place for it--get 'em all hot n' bothered up front.
~Marina

WotF Winner Q1 2012 (Vol. 29)

WotF Finalist Q2 2010 (Vol. 27)
WotF Finalist Q4 2011 (Vol. 28)
http://lostetter.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/MarinaLostetter

Travesty

Postby Travesty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm

wotf011

wotf001 very true, but on one of the worlds on the person's finger, there was a whole society procreating, completely oblivious to the fountain of gore which was about to take place :)
Last edited by Travesty on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 pm

s_c_baker wrote:

YYYYEEEESSSS!

Even my stories could win against this sort of entry. wotf001

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 pm

MJNL wrote:
Jess wrote:

wotf011

wotf019

Especially a great idea for submission to WotF. How come I've never thought to include a gratuitously-sexy cover letter in my electronic submissions?

(I did put one in the print submission, but it was just the regular kind.)

AMcCarter

Postby AMcCarter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Ah ha! Thank you so much for the explanation. I thought I was having an extreme blond moment.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Travesty wrote:
Or, better yet, tell all of us to submit using unbearably poor English in our stories so that it causes internal hemorrhaging, so that when the coordinating judge reads yours, he immediately grants it Finalist status in thanks for saving him from our entries wotf006

"And now, back to hour story... "Excuse me," some unnamed person said, stretching out his scarred, gnarled, but strangely buteful hand that was wearing one hundred and 2.4 rings on his index finger. Three of which were actually planets. In miniature. And then while he was reaching out his hand, he clasped his fingers around the other person's hand and moved his hand up and down in a handshake. But, all of this was after the fact that I had maked the decision to shake this person's hand, whom I didn't know." The worst part was when I realized that he wasn't in fact another person... it was me! and I had destroyed the world. Three of witch were on my oily, greasy, aromatic finger." ***let's see... did I leave any of DF's 10 reason's that a story gets quickly rejected out?*** Oh. And then everything erupted in a fountain of gore.

wotf019

wotf039
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:28 pm

MJNL wrote:
Jess wrote:

wotf011

LMAO
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Oh my. I'm laughing so much, I'm crying. *wipes eyes* Thanks guys! wotf031
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Travesty wrote:Or, better yet, tell all of us to submit using unbearably poor English in our stories so that it causes internal hemorrhaging, so that when the coordinating judge reads yours, he immediately grants it Finalist status in thanks for saving him from our entries wotf006

Oh, God. My secret is out! Just so you all know. I've totally tried this already and now that one person got through, it might be tougher for others to try this strategy.

OMG, please please stop submitting so the rest of us might have a chance!

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:19 am

Wow you are all making me laugh so hard! Suddenly I feel the urge to submit this lyrical song I wrote:

And now back to the story,
All of a sudden it got gory.
I reached out and shook the decapitated hand,
Until I realized it was all part of the unnamed man's hand's plan.
Instantly I was sucked into a vortex,
Into the land of dragons, fairies, elves, vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts and sex.
And as I raced through the tomb, after going blind,
I woke up from this dream- it was all in my mind.

Oh yeah, that gold award is so close, I can almost taste it. wotf013
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 13x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 am

Laugh all you want, but the ring that's actually a planet is a pretty awesome idea.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:32 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:Wow you are all making me laugh so hard! Suddenly I feel the urge to submit this lyrical song I wrote:

And now back to the story,
All of a sudden it got gory.
I reached out and shook the decapitated hand,
Until I realized it was all part of the unnamed man's hand's plan.
Instantly I was sucked into a vortex,
Into the land of dragons, fairies, elves, vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts and sex.
And as I raced through the tomb, after going blind,
I woke up from this dream- it was all in my mind.

Oh yeah, that gold award is so close, I can almost taste it. wotf013

ITT: untrammeled genius.

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Laugh all you want, but the ring that's actually a planet is a pretty awesome idea.

Isn't it kind of a trope? Maybe I'm thinking AD&D or something.

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:53 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:Laugh all you want, but the ring that's actually a planet is a pretty awesome idea.

AD&D has the stones that orbit the head. I haven't seen the ring concept. To me it seems more awesome, more cosmic even. In fact the idea hasn't quite left me since I read it.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:Into the land of dragons, fairies, elves, vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts and sex.

wotf015

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:

AD&D has the stones that orbit the head. I haven't seen the ring concept. To me it seems more awesome, more cosmic even. In fact the idea hasn't quite left me since I read it.

It made me think of the first Men in Black movie (where entire galaxies existed on cat collars and in marble bags.)

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:

There is also "the galaxy on Orion's belt" from MIB, but in any case, being able to wear an entire planet is an awesome concept. The idea of shrinking something massive down to everyday proportions simply makes that planet/universe/whatever even more wondrous.

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 am

Strycher wrote:It made me think of the first Men in Black movie (where entire galaxies existed on cat collars and in marble bags.)

jinx wotf011

gower21

Postby gower21 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 am

austinDm wrote:
Strycher wrote:It made me think of the first Men in Black movie (where entire galaxies existed on cat collars and in marble bags.)

jinx wotf011

Me too. I liked the planet ring idea when I read it. Also made me think of Men in Black

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”