Jibber Jabber - Q1 - 29

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
gower21

Re: Q1 Volume 29

Postby gower21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I like this post by Sarah Hoyt, in which she links to this video of great psychiatric advice (from Bob Newhart, no less).

Nice! My dad had a running joke when I was getting a counseling degree that I should give all my advice based off of what my favorite soap opera characters were doing or had done in past storylines. But I like the "STOP IT" method, so short and to the point. I could have bypassed seven years of school if I'd just mastered that technique.

It reminds me of an episode of Beauty and the Geek (Tyler and I often refer to it). One of the Beauty guys is talking about how he is going to help out all the geeky girls and tell them to "Just Stop it. Stop being a Geek." He then gives examples of how he will point out to them the times they are being geeky so they will know. He said he felt that most girls didn't know they were geeks or being geeky because nobody ever told them. Same idea as above....he didnt save as many Geeks as he'd hoped, I think he was eliminated before he could shine his brilliance onto the population of chosen Geeks.

I'd deleted most of my post (above, although you can see what I wrote in Martins quote of me) because I was afraid people would think I was making fun of such serious disorders such as Rejectomancy and Duotropery. But I know all too well the seriousness and severity of the disease. I've had problems in the past. *sob* -- hope you all don't think differently of me now.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm

gower21 wrote:
Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:I like this post by Sarah Hoyt, in which she links to this video of great psychiatric advice (from Bob Newhart, no less).

Nice! My dad had a running joke when I was getting a counseling degree that I should give all my advice based off of what my favorite soap opera characters were doing or had done in past storylines. But I like the "STOP IT" method, so short and to the point. I could have bypassed seven years of school if I'd just mastered that technique.

It reminds me of an episode of Beauty and the Geek (Tyler and I often refer to it). One of the Beauty guys is talking about how he is going to help out all the geeky girls and tell them to "Just Stop it. Stop being a Geek." He then gives examples of how he will point out to them the times they are being geeky so they will know. He said he felt that most girls didn't know they were geeks or being geeky because nobody ever told them. Same idea as above....he didnt save as many Geeks as he'd hoped, I think he was eliminated before he could shine his brilliance onto the population of chosen Geeks.

I'd deleted most of my post (above, although you can see what I wrote in Martins quote of me) because I was afraid people would think I was making fun of such serious disorders such as Rejectomancy and Duotropery. But I know all too well the seriousness and severity of the disease. I've had problems in the past. *sob* -- hope you all don't think differently of me now.

It's quite all right, Tina. I, for one, took no offense. I was worried people might take offense about my failed attempt at humor with the spider and her web. When I read it again, after posting, it sounded like I was sending you and Kary into the spider's den for lunch and that is not what I meant at all! And then I worried that when I tried to correct it by saying that what I had *meant* by the tiny voices calling for help was really "the masses," that didn't really sound any better (even though I include myself among them). *Sigh*

I have deleted posts in the past because I just couldn't handle the stress of worrying how others might take what I had said. Hm...perhaps that's why I still don't have a blog.
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Ha :) I edit a lot of my posts too. I sometimes worry my humor will not come across well online.

Your spider one was actual funny, not scary funny. I meant to respond to it, but then got caught up in making my own "joke" that I could later fear was offending. We sound a lot alike. Maybe you're another one of my multiple personalities gone astray ... or...

Maybe I'm one of yours?

Bum bum bum

(wait I just noticed you're in CA...so am I...so is Kary...Which one of us is the real personality!!!....and Stewart is in CA, right?...does that mean he is the Gatekeeper, deciding which of us gets to come out at what times?)
Last edited by gower21 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:How does it compare to your English? wotf007

My English is a consciously affected informal style designed to convey a Midwestern "Aw shucks" persona. I intentionally eschew the formal prose stylings of business or academia, having decided that they obscure more than they convey. But having reached that conclusion early in my business writing career, I found an unexpected additional benefit: it's less work and more authentic if I just be myself.

And yes, George's English is better than mine even when I try hard!

By the way, I hope my post to you didn't come off as uh... talking-down-to-you*... George.

(* I know there's a word for this... I know there's a word for this... I know there's a word for this... Ugh. Screw it. [Where do I get off making fun of Martin again?] )

"Condescending" is the word you're looking for. I know it all too well.

Yes! That's the word. I knew it was something with an "e" in it...

Huzzah for authenticity.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:48 pm

george nik. wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:And anyone writing in something other than their native language has my major respect automatically. If I tried to write in Japanese (the only language other than English I'm anything like fluent in) it'd sound like a half-asleep third-grader wrote it and then a random-word-generator filled in the rest... wotf001

Japanese is a very difficult language for us Europeans/Americans.
By the way, I don't know if, in the course of your Japanese studies, you have come across Lafkadio Hearn (Koizumi Yakumo). He was born in Greece, but he became one of the best-known short story writers in Japan.

Yes, although I hadn't realized he was Greek. Neat. :)

gower21 wrote:(wait I just noticed you're in CA...so am I...so is Kary...Which one of us is the real personality!!!....and Stewart is in CA, right?...does that mean he is the Gatekeeper, deciding which of us gets to come out at what times?)

Would that make me a woman? Or are we not talking Ghostbusters here?

Morshana: I thought your post was hilarious, for whatever that's worth. Great extended metaphor. wotf007

Edit: for that matter, I'm pretty sure there are a significant amount of people in CA. wotf004
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm

More topically, the trickle does seem to have some meaning to it.

Exciting! That means I'll be getting that form rejection any day now. wotf006

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:06 pm

In multiple personalities the sufferer can have more than one personality of either sex. The Gatekeeper is the personality that is the most even minded that is sort of in charge of the other personalities. It will take a personality away or bring a stronger one up front. In general the personalities are unaware of each other, but the Gatekeeper is aware of all of them and is familiar with each one....this is all psychobabble, a lot of people believe that MPD doesn't exist. There is some popular movie about all this. Where there are a bunch of people in a hotel and one by one they disappear....cant think of the name of it, but it's about MPD. Or DID (dissociative identity disorder) the pro's like to call it...and that's how it appears in the DSM IV

EDITED to stay ON TOPIC:

I don't think you'll get a rejection. KD says if she can make it through a story she gives it an HM. Your story was really short, right? So maybe she'll stick with it and give you a chance. And there is always hope she will give you the pity HM. We can all hope for the pity HM if our story teeters between rejection and HM. OR maybe get a semi or above? We shall wait and see...

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:25 pm

gower21 wrote:Ha :) I edit a lot of my posts too. I sometimes worry my humor will not come across well online.

Your spider one was actual funny, not scary funny. I meant to respond to it, but then got caught up in making my own "joke" that I could later fear was offending. We sound a lot alike. Maybe you're another one of my multiple personalities gone astray ... or...

Maybe I'm one of yours?

Bum bum bum

(wait I just noticed you're in CA...so am I...so is Kary...Which one of us is the real personality!!!....and Stewart is in CA, right?...does that mean he is the Gatekeeper, deciding which of us gets to come out at what times?)

Or perhaps we are additional personalities of... *slaps forehead* My weakness. Names! So hard to remember names and now I can't finish this joke because I don't remember a name. *sob!* I have an image of a British man in a chair with a pipe spouting sound advice and much speculation on the forum as to who this personality might be. Well, perhaps we are further figments of said person's imagination? We don't post at the same time, we might be vying for control of the keyboard. Sort of creepy, don't you think? And not even aware we aren't real.

Hm...was it not speculated that Stewart might be the mysterious personality in the armchair? Is he the mastermind behind the three, um, five of us? Unicorn boy alter ego, too. Now I have a funny picture of a unicorn boy in overalls sitting in an armchair, smoking a pipe and braying.

We're all in CA? Cool. =)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
gower21 wrote:(wait I just noticed you're in CA...so am I...so is Kary...Which one of us is the real personality!!!....and Stewart is in CA, right?...does that mean he is the Gatekeeper, deciding which of us gets to come out at what times?)

Would that make me a woman? Or are we not talking Ghostbusters here?

Morshana: I thought your post was hilarious, for whatever that's worth. Great extended metaphor. wotf007

Edit: for that matter, I'm pretty sure there are a significant amount of people in CA. wotf004

Thanks for throwing me a tasty snack Stewart (and Tina). I'll try not to choke on the bones. Too many mixed metaphors there?

Hm...now I see a Unicorn/Donkey woman with crazy hair smoking a pipe and stroking her pet hell hounds.

Yes, there are a lot of people in CA. Or do you mean a lot of people from CA who are also on the forum?
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:33 pm

What was the topic? Oh, right! Rejectomancy! Noooooo! The problem is back!

I must be the personality that suffers from multiple disorders, all tied up with Stressomancy. Or does that one not work?
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 pm

You're thinking of Bob Writer. He very well could be the main personality and the Stressomancy is bringing us all out at once. Total Dissociative Identity Disorder chaos. We are all personalities that use the forum to communicate in the "real" and "true" world. We each think we have our separate lives, but in fact the real life is taking place on the other side of this forum (or the main personality's life). The forum is the gatekeeper.

This will surely create all sorts of hypothesis, just as LOST discussion did in its hay day.

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:31 pm

gower21 wrote:You're thinking of Bob Writer. He very well could be the main personality and the Stressomancy is bringing us all out at once. Total Dissociative Identity Disorder chaos. We are all personalities that use the forum to communicate in the "real" and "true" world. We each think we have our separate lives, but in fact the real life is taking place on the other side of this forum (or the main personality's life). The forum is the gatekeeper.

This will surely create all sorts of hypothesis, just as LOST discussion did in its hay day.

Bob Writer! Thanks, Tina. This is fun. *grin* So, really, then, if the forum is the gatekeeper, every forum member is just another personality in some unknown head in the real world. So who is the real writer (the Dreamer) here?
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 pm

I've been reading about Modal Logic (See also: Possible Worlds Theory), so this discussion is even more fun! wotf001

A few things:

1) I wish I were clever enough to be Bobwriter.
    2) I'm an optimist--form rejection's aiming high for that piece. wotf001

3) Tina, I think you have your next story topic!

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

He never woke, so we are all running amuck. His story goal is to find the Gatekeeper personality before the Gatekeeper takes over the forum and traps him in here forever. Forever discussing duotropery, forever discussing rejectomancy, forever quoting Dean W. Smith and his rules of never rewriting. All this floating in the dreamers head forever. So it is a very strong goal to discover the Gatekeeper personality.

First step, find out who is Bob Writer. (Yes, it will always come down to this for me). Find him and flush him out. Then we will find our Gatekeeper. Each of us either wants the dreamer to reach his goal or not. Which one are you?

izanobu

Postby izanobu » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm

I think I lost all my sanity points just reading this thread.

Go write, people. Geez.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:45 pm

gower21 wrote:He never woke, so we are all running amuck. His story goal is to find the Gatekeeper personality before the Gatekeeper takes over the forum and traps him in here forever. Forever discussing duotropery, forever discussing rejectomancy, forever quoting Dean W. Smith and his rules of never rewriting. All this floating in the dreamers head forever. So it is a very strong goal to discover the Gatekeeper personality.

First step, find out who is Bob Writer. (Yes, it will always come down to this for me). Find him and flush him out. Then we will find our Gatekeeper. Each of us either wants the dreamer to reach his goal or not. Which one are you?

Brad, as forum admin, should have access to IP addresses.

Just sayin' ... wotf011

izanobu wrote:I think I lost all my sanity points just reading this thread.

Go write, people. Geez.

Natural 20! (My excuse is: I'm at work.)

gower21

Postby gower21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:46 pm

izanobu wrote:I think I lost all my sanity points just reading this thread.

Go write, people. Geez.

As soon as my children are in bed and then asleep. So technically I'm still at work too.

WriteToLive

Postby WriteToLive » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm

I just completed chapter 4 of my Role Playing Game System and am about to begin the monumenting task of telling the Commanders (or Dungeon Masters for a more likened term) how to run a game. Should be fun.
Michael Beers
Blog: Write To Live
Latest Out: Detroit Ex Nihilo at AESciFi
Now Available: Zion in For All Eternity: Tales of the Seven Deadly Sins (Dark Opus Press)

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 pm

@Tina and Stewart - Too funny. I was laughing until I cried. I think I dropped all my sanity cards. Maybe I'll find one under the desk tomorrow morning.

My husband is not amused. *sideways glances at me*
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

Jess

Postby Jess » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 am

WriteToLive wrote:I just completed chapter 4 of my Role Playing Game System and am about to begin the monumenting task of telling the Commanders (or Dungeon Masters for a more likened term) how to run a game. Should be fun.

I think I did that section last year. I thought it came together a lot easier than the more mechanical sections. Granted, the mechanical sections tend to be "in flux" as the mechanics change...well, I'd better shut up before this gets all long and ramble-y.
Oh dear. I need a signature.
And an avatar.
And probably other things I don't even know about.

I feel naked.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:04 am

Although in the past KD has said she sometimes finds a Finalist at the bottom of the pile.

You can ask Meghan about this...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Short Story. My Semi-F My Finalist #1

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:30 am

Multiple personality disorder? What is that?

Now who wants to join me for dinner in the swamp?
wotf040
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

CaptMickeyd

Postby CaptMickeyd » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:26 am

Looks like another rejection came in on Duotrope for the 28th. 129 days. This means that October submissions are being rejected. Woohoo! wotf010 My November submission should be up for rejection any day now. wotf011
Michael

Q1/V29 -- Rejection

Writer of three part-time characters on USS Galaxy, a Trek sim
http://www.ussgalaxy.net/wiki

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:10 am

CaptMickeyd wrote:This means that October submissions are being rejected.

Possibly, though I got my response last quarter in one of the early batches, though I'd submitted on the very last day of the quarter. I'm not at all sure they are read in the order they were submitted.

But still, regardless of when it comes, we can all hope for more than a rejection, right? I've never seen anything else in this contest, but hope blooms eternal.
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:22 am

CaptMickeyd wrote:Looks like another rejection came in on Duotrope for the 28th. 129 days. This means that October submissions are being rejected. Woohoo! wotf010 My November submission should be up for rejection any day now. wotf011

It doesn't seem to be working this way; not only October submissions.

Duotrope reports so far (assuming they are all correct):
Feb 22 - submission Oct 20
Feb 22 - submission Dec 8
Feb 22 - submission Dec 26
Feb 26 - submission Oct 17
Feb 28 - submission Oct 21
Still, no Novembers. Maybe all November entries will turn finalists. wotf015
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

CaptMickeyd

Postby CaptMickeyd » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:58 am

Plus I imagine that there would be a disconnect between paper and electronic submissions.
Michael

Q1/V29 -- Rejection

Writer of three part-time characters on USS Galaxy, a Trek sim
http://www.ussgalaxy.net/wiki

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am

george nik. wrote:Still, no Novembers. Maybe all November entries will turn finalists. wotf015

It's okay with me if all (forum) November entries become finalists, as long as not all finalists are November entries. I submitted on December 19. :-)
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 am

Patrick S. McGinnity wrote: I'm not at all sure they are read in the order they were submitted.

Me, neither.

I'm not sure how KD reads, but I'm not convinced (with the new, electronic system, anyway) it's in chronological order.

Grayson Morris wrote:It's okay with me if all (forum) November entries become finalists, as long as not all finalists are November entries. I submitted on December 19. :-)

Sounds like some kind of logic puzzle... (even setting aside the fact that that would probably leave us with far too many finalists!)

Grayson Morris

Postby Grayson Morris » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:21 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Grayson Morris wrote:It's okay with me if all (forum) November entries become finalists, as long as not all finalists are November entries. I submitted on December 19. :-)

Sounds like some kind of logic puzzle... (even setting aside the fact that that would probably leave us with far too many finalists!)

If all November entries become finalists, it will mean there were at most eight November entries. Hiiiiiiighly unlikely, but possible.

Also, taking (1) the Duotrope results and (2) the statement that entries submitted earlier are received by KD earlier as axioms, we can prove the theorem "entries are not responded to ** in the order in which they are received":
There exists an entry A sent in earlier than at least one other entry B, such that A received a response later than B received a response; therefore, entries are not responded to in the order in which they are received.

(** Note we cannot conclude from this information alone that entries are not read in the order in which they are received. Note also that the above conclusion is valid based assumption of the validity of our axioms.)
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. (Emily Dickinson)
http://www.graysonbraymorris.com
past entries: 5x HM, 3xR
current entries: none

Patrick S. McGinnity

Postby Patrick S. McGinnity » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 am

My brain is smarting, Grayson. Thanks a bundle.
Patrick S. McGinnity
Mt. Pleasant/Beaver Island, Michigan

R x 3
Q2 2012 - HM
Look for "The Dubious Apotheosis of Baskin Gough" in the ARCANE II Anthology.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”