Who will the new coordinating judge be?

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.

Re: Who will the new coordinating judge be?

Postby Juliana » Tue May 08, 2012 9:28 am

It would be awesome if Dave was the man, since I know what he likes and he has already critiqued my writing to tell me what to work on. *crossing fingers*
Juliana

Postby azap » Sat May 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Wow very interesting. I wonder if it will affect David's workshop schedule in the future. Thanks for posting the link.
May we always find ourselves well fed in body, mind and spirit... yet joyfully hungry for more of the adventure.
Bolg: http://mindpond.wordpress.com
Live journal: http://ajlight.livejournal.com/
azap

Postby Nick_T » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 am

MJNL wrote:Nick! Sneaky, sneaky, announcing this over at Hatrack but not here: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/writers/ulti ... 1;t=007283

wotf020

I just reposted an email that John Arkwright sent me at his request, I didn't even read it. They'll probably strike me out from future editions of the book. wotf004
Nick Tchan
2 x HM
1x Finalist
1 x winner Q2 2011
Nick_T

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed May 16, 2012 6:02 am

No worries, Nick.
To be honest, we'd pretty much deduced it's him anyway in this thread.
Or at least I had.

Joni promotes his daily kick in her HM e-mails.
He stops writing daily kicks as if something else is suddenly occupying his time.
The new judge is someone with "experience" and he'd been the first reader/editor back in the early 90's.

Lots o' evidence.

D
5x HM
V28 Q3: Finalist
Three EDF stories. DSF flash. And a DSF short story
WotF batting average .545
Dustin Adams

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed May 16, 2012 6:20 am

Nick_T wrote:
MJNL wrote:Nick! Sneaky, sneaky, announcing this over at Hatrack but not here: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/writers/ulti ... 1;t=007283

wotf020

I just reposted an email that John Arkwright sent me at his request, I didn't even read it. They'll probably strike me out from future editions of the book. wotf004

Nah, you can just blame Evil Nick. He has to be around here somewhere.
Martin L. Shoemaker
F - Q1V28,Q1V29
SF - Q4V28
HM - Q2/3V28,Q2/3/4V29,Q1/2/3V30

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN
Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Strycher » Wed May 16, 2012 6:28 am

Nick_T wrote:

wotf020

It can't possibly be a secret, they asked you to post it on the internet.
"Sapience and Maternal Instincts" at Daily Science Fiction and Toasted Cake|| "The Filigreed Cage" || Awesome Person Extraordinaire || You must write.
Strycher

Postby Travesty » Sat May 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Hey all,

Just got back from CONduit (Utah SF/F con) and Dave Wolverton (Farland) confirmed that he is the new coordinating judge. I asked if it was confidential (to determine whether it was appropriate to share it on here), and he stated that the decision was official as of last night and that posting was acceptable. I believe the announcement will be made Tuesday, but figured that people on here would be interested in hearing the news now if it was available.
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan
Travesty

Postby Strycher » Sat May 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Travesty wrote:Hey all,

Just got back from CONduit (Utah SF/F con) and Dave Wolverton (Farland) confirmed that he is the new coordinating judge. I asked if it was confidential (to determine whether it was appropriate to share it on here), and he stated that the decision was official as of last night and that posting was acceptable. I believe the announcement will be made Tuesday, but figured that people on here would be interested in hearing the news now if it was available.

Thanks for that. I wonder if they'll start contacting people about Q1 placement after the official announcement . . .
"Sapience and Maternal Instincts" at Daily Science Fiction and Toasted Cake|| "The Filigreed Cage" || Awesome Person Extraordinaire || You must write.
Strycher

Postby Fobok1 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks for the news! Glad it's finally official, hope things move on from there quickly for everybody waiting.
HM - Q4, vol 28 (Now available in ebook!)
HM - Q1, vol 30
Check out my blog!
Fobok1

Postby Kary English » Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 pm

1) I'm glad it's Dave; he'll do a bang up job.

2) My money says we'll hear results next week, too, along with the coordinating judge announcement. I'm glad the wait will finally be over.

3) On Tuesday, I leave the country for two weeks. Do you have any idea how expensive cruise ship internet is?? The only thing MORE expensive is using one's cell phone. wotf027 And after I'm off the ship, my phone won't work at all, though at least there will be internet at most of my hotels.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists
Q2,V31 - submitted
Q3,V31 - in progress
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette.
Totaled - forthcoming in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge.
Departure Gate 34B - forthcoming in DSF
Kary English

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun May 27, 2012 2:00 am

Kary James wrote:3) On Tuesday, I leave the country for two weeks. Do you have any idea how expensive cruise ship internet is?? The only thing MORE expensive is using one's cell phone. wotf027 And after I'm off the ship, my phone won't work at all, though at least there will be internet at most of my hotels.

Time to drop off the net for two weeks. That's good for writing, but bad when you're wondering about a phone call. You have my sympathies.
Martin L. Shoemaker
F - Q1V28,Q1V29
SF - Q4V28
HM - Q2/3V28,Q2/3/4V29,Q1/2/3V30

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN
Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby katsincommand » Sun May 27, 2012 6:02 am

Kary James wrote:1) I'm glad it's Dave; he'll do a bang up job.

2) My money says we'll hear results next week, too, along with the coordinating judge announcement. I'm glad the wait will finally be over.

3) On Tuesday, I leave the country for two weeks. Do you have any idea how expensive cruise ship internet is?? The only thing MORE expensive is using one's cell phone. wotf027 And after I'm off the ship, my phone won't work at all, though at least there will be internet at most of my hotels.

Delegate.

Give someone you trust your email account information with instructions to check it for you and upon receiving anything from WOTF, to call you on the boat (for which you will reimburse them).

(And yes I've done that... not for WOTF but when I was waiting for some other critical information to arrive).
Dawn Bonanno
Viable Paradise XVI
http://www.dmbonanno.com
Honorable Mention x4
Semifinalist x1
katsincommand

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Sun May 27, 2012 1:32 pm

I was at CONduit 22 this weekend, and it appears Dave's permitted to go public now: yes, he has officially retaken his seat as the Coordinating Judge, a job he did before Cathy, and which he is now doing again. Frankly, I am thrilled for the Contest. Dave's not only a hell of a nice guy, but his deep wisdom on story -- the how and the why of successful tale-telling -- is immense. I look forward to seeing his fingerprints on Volume 29, Volume 30, and so forth.

wotf007
Coming up: "Life Flight," in Analog magazine
Coming up: "The Chaplain's War," from Baen Books
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Nebula, Hugo, and Campbell nominee.
Brad R. Torgersen

Location: Wasatch Front, United States, Planet Earth, Sol System

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Sun May 27, 2012 1:33 pm

You beat me to it, dude.

wotf013
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Brad R. Torgersen

Postby AMcCarter » Sun May 27, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Farland/Wolverton is very busy, ever so much more than Kathy was and that woman was BUSY. I also am not a fan of his cycle of threes, which he's pretty hardcore about.
Amanda McCarter

Amanda McCarter’s Blog

Honorable Mentions x5
Silver Honorable Mention x1
Semi-Finalist x1
AMcCarter

Postby greenroom » Sun May 27, 2012 5:14 pm

AMcCarter wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about this. Farland/Wolverton is very busy, ever so much more than Kathy was and that woman was BUSY. I also am not a fan of his cycle of threes, which he's pretty hardcore about.

What is his cycle of threes?
J. Deery Wray
Twitter
"The Butcher of Londinium" in IGMS Issue 29
"Thirteen Words" in IGMS Issue 33
Survivor: Viable Paradise 16
HMx2
greenroom

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun May 27, 2012 5:42 pm

3 try / fail cycles I believe.
5x HM
Dustin Adams

Postby Kary English » Sun May 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Farland is pretty liberal about what constitutes a try/fail cycle, tho. For example, these count:

Hero hears a hubub in a dark alley. He ignores it.

Hero noses around for info about Big Bad Guy and gets told Big Bad Guy is invincible. Hero decides to let well enough alone.

Moreso than three clear try/fail cycles, I would say that Farland favors formed fiction. What does that mean? An inciting incident, rising action (wherein one usually finds try fail cycles), climax, denoument.
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists
Q2,V31 - submitted
Q3,V31 - in progress
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette.
Totaled - forthcoming in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge.
Departure Gate 34B - forthcoming in DSF
Kary English

Postby Brad R. Torgersen » Sun May 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, nobody can say for sure how Dave's style and tastes will affect the Contest.

Because I know him very well -- and he gave me a glowing critique on my non-winning Finalist that eventually sold to Analog and got the readers' choice award -- I trust Dave in this role, and I think it makes a lot of sense for the Contest. Yeah, Dave's a busy guy. But believe me, he wouldn't take it if he couldn't fit it in to his schedule.
www.bradrtorgersen.com
Brad R. Torgersen

Postby gower21 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:26 pm

I wouldn't get too over concerned about "try/fail cycles" He pretty much will ignore that if it is a good story. He also said some short stories can't really delve too deep into that anyway. We talked a lot about it at the workshop and he's not as big into them as the Kick in the Pants would lead you to believe. It's just the structure he uses to describe plotting to others. He makes sure to have hurdles for his characters to get over, some call that try/fail others call that the heroes journey, some use the MICE quotient (which Dave also taught us as a possible structure guide). The big thing he hammered on us at the workshop in March was to keep the character in pain, give them a strong goal, and motivation for that goal, then show their journey or adventure to get there. Bottom line the good stories will still float to the top. I don't think it will be a huge difference. Those of you who have been doing well in the contest will continue to do well.
gower21

Postby Travesty » Sun May 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Brad R. Torgersen wrote:

You beat me to it, dude.

wotf013

Thanks again for our discussions at the conference! (not to mention the book... so much to read!) To be honest, I was surprised that someone else hadn't posted an announcement before me. I figured it probably means more coming from you regardless wotf008 since I'm new to the forums, and only have questionable credibility. But, then, I also figured that it couldn't hurt to share the information since he said that it no longer needed to be confidential. :D

I've only spoken with Dave Farland on a couple of brief occasions, but from all that I can tell, he should be a great coordinating judge. He even used to be in the position of coordinating judge for a time, if I understand correctly. In any case, as much as I looked forward to reading KDW's review of my submission (assuming it makes it that far... never know with it being my first entry) I hope to have Dave's feedback just as much.
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Futurama - Zapp Brannigan
Travesty

Postby Stephen Stanley » Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 am

Someone who knows more clearly WotF history than I do can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dave coordinating judge before KD took over? Between her and AJ?

EDIT: (Oh, I didn't see the end of the comment above this.... nevermind.)
Stephen Stanley

Postby Will Mitchell » Wed May 30, 2012 4:32 am

Brad R. Torgersen wrote:Frankly, I am thrilled for the Contest. Dave's not only a hell of a nice guy, but his deep wisdom on story -- the how and the why of successful tale-telling -- is immense. I look forward to seeing his fingerprints on Volume 29, Volume 30, and so forth.
wotf007

Ditto. He came and talked to us at the Vol 28 workshop week, and as Brad says was a really nice guy, very knowledgable too. Plus he was one of the judges for my quarter so I can thank him for rating my own work highly!
(Of course I have to add KDW herself to that thank-you list.)

Add to that his prior experience with the contest and it sounds like things are in safe hands. I'd hate to see the reading pile he's built up lately though...

Will.
2009: Finalist
2010: HM
2011: Winner - 1st place, Q3 vol 28
http://www.wmfiction.com
Will Mitchell

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed May 30, 2012 4:57 am

Will,
I agree.
I was just thinking that he's going to have to haul ass for Q3 and Q4 to get done in time for year-end.

Which means - our Q3 and Q4 openings had better GRAB him or they may find themselves relegated down the list early on.

D
5x HM
Dustin Adams

Postby E.CaimanSands » Wed May 30, 2012 6:04 am

Indeed. According to my records, last year I received my Q2 semi-finalist on 30th of June. So Q2 is surely running late. wotf014
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 3 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring", Cosmos Online, May 2013
(Riverdancing gator!)

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...
E.CaimanSands

Postby Strycher » Wed May 30, 2012 8:33 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:So Q2 is surely running late. wotf014

Probably. But there could be cosmic reasons for not announcing Q1 yet, and I know if I was in charge I wouldn't send out Q2 rejection e-mails until all the Q1 rejections/HMs were out. If for no other reason than I wouldn't want an avalanche of people contacting me trying to verify which quarter the rejection slip was for.

Farland could be on track for both Q1 and Q2, but they may not have wanted to release results until they could officially point to someone and say, "He's the the judge--blame/thank him." (And I'm guessing that took so long because of contracts and contracts negotiations.) Since we know he's only recently been announced, I think if we see Q1 results in the next week or so, that Q2 results (or at least the rejections) will soon follow.

But. You know. I don't know anything. And the pattern is there is no pattern. So.
Strycher

Postby bobsandiego » Wed May 30, 2012 8:49 am

I agree that Q2 might be on hold while they finalize Q1. I know when I got my Q1 HM I was confused as to if it was Q1 or Q2. (I was not yet on this forum, bad me, and a blog post about Q4 I had mistaken for Q1.) I'm realyl torn on Q3. I have a story in prgress that I had intended as Q3, but another story that I have written for a commitment to my writers group keeps whispering to me that it woudl make a really good entry, and I know that the writers group plans are pie-in-the-sky stuff that is never going to happen.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 3
SF X 3
F X 0
bobsandiego

Postby Alex Kane » Wed May 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Brad R. Torgersen wrote:Well, nobody can say for sure how Dave's style and tastes will affect the Contest.

Because I know him very well -- and he gave me a glowing critique on my non-winning Finalist that eventually sold to Analog and got the readers' choice award -- I trust Dave in this role, and I think it makes a lot of sense for the Contest. Yeah, Dave's a busy guy. But believe me, he wouldn't take it if he couldn't fit it in to his schedule.

"Outbound" is precisely the reason I'm thrilled to have Dave aboard as the new slusher/editor.

In unrelated news, I got a voicemail on my phone today from Orange County, California, and for a brief instant...I thought to myself, What if it's Dave Wolverton, and my Q2 made finalist? Yeah, dream on. (Telemarketer.)
Alex Kane

Postby ebrewer27 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted in this thread:

The new coordinating judge is David Farland aka Dave Wolverton.

But I'm sure you already know that :)
Erik Brewer ("Brew")

Q2 2012 - Submitted

"Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant."
-Robert Louis Stevenson
ebrewer27

Previous

Return to The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items