Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 30

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 30

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 pm

soulmirror wrote:
steffenwolf wrote:
I sent off my final submission to the Writers of the Future contest. I am now no longer eligible to make further entries. It's good to pro out, and it goes to show how varied tastes in fiction can be from one editor to another--I've never gotten a Silver HM, Semi-Finalist, or Finalist finish, but I've done well enough elsewhere.

Would still like to get a better showing for these last two quarters, Q1 and Q2, but I'm not holding my breath.

Pro'ing out is excellent! I mean, that's the whole point of the contest anyway, to become a pro.

Hope you'll still share your voice and ideas with the forum, of course! Inspiration, insights, ideas from a pro are valuable indeed to the rest of us! wotf007

Hadn't thought of this but steffen is right. You don't need WotF anymore. Even though I can see why you still want to be in it.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html
LDWriter2

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

I just finished what I had hoped would be my Q2. To me it feels complete, but I think it may be too short - a mere 1500 words. I know there has been a lot of debate over whether shorter or longer stories have a better chance at winning, and it's left me uncertain as to whether I should submit this one. WellI I still have a month left, so I may try to dive deeper into this story. If I can't I'll just submit what I have and hope for the best!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x HM, 8x R
IOTF: 2x R
Other Markets: 6x R

My Writing: http://theunknowndesign.blogspot.com/
Imagination Vortex

Postby bobsandiego » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:40 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:I just finished what I had hoped would be my Q2. To me it feels complete, but I think it may be too short - a mere 1500 words. I know there has been a lot of debate over whether shorter or longer stories have a better chance at winning, and it's left me uncertain as to whether I should submit this one. WellI I still have a month left, so I may try to dive deeper into this story. If I can't I'll just submit what I have and hope for the best!

If it's short and you don;t have a stronger entry, send it in. You're not the judge...
wotf006
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 3
SF X 3
F X 0
bobsandiego

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 pm

bobsandiego wrote:
Imagination Vortex wrote:I just finished what I had hoped would be my Q2. To me it feels complete, but I think it may be too short - a mere 1500 words. I know there has been a lot of debate over whether shorter or longer stories have a better chance at winning, and it's left me uncertain as to whether I should submit this one. WellI I still have a month left, so I may try to dive deeper into this story. If I can't I'll just submit what I have and hope for the best!

If it's short and you don;t have a stronger entry, send it in. You're not the judge...
wotf006

Yeah I'm a slow writer so I'm not sure if I will be able to come up with another story that will be ready in time. I'll just see what I can't do with this one. Actually though I'm curious if anyone does know - what is the shortest story ever to win?
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x HM, 8x R
IOTF: 2x R
Other Markets: 6x R

My Writing: http://theunknowndesign.blogspot.com/
Imagination Vortex

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

bobsandiego wrote:

wotf006

I agree, harder doesn't mean impossible.

Who knows it could get a HM or higher.

Usually, never hurts to try.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 pm

I think a few very short ones won back in the early days of the contest, but someone else would have to confirm that as I can't seem to find the data again. Anyway, I think the early days of the contest were so different from how it is today that it barely makes sense to compare.

I think Rebecca's recent finalist was pretty short, though. Under 3000 words.
Stewart C Baker: Free Fiction & Poetry Every Tuesday
My contest trajectory: Semi; R; HM; R; R; HM; HM; R; R; R; R; HM; Pending
s_c_baker

Postby klaatu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 am

Recursion in XIII is 11 pages

Devil's Advocate in XII is 5 pages

Final Jeopardy in XI is 6 pages

The short-short published finalist is in Volume V - Just Don't, which is about 2/3 of a page.

All very short, all more than 15 years ago.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au
klaatu

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Oh, to be living 15 years ago... wotf001
s_c_baker

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:43 pm

s_c_baker wrote:Oh, to be living 15 years ago... wotf001

Hey we don't know yet what David likes. Well, partially but not enough to know if automatically rejects shorter stories.
In fact it sounds like he may give them a chance....maybe not a big one but still a chance.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:01 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:

Hey we don't know yet what David likes. Well, partially but not enough to know if automatically rejects shorter stories.
In fact it sounds like he may give them a chance....maybe not a big one but still a chance.

Shorter, sure. Flash? Flash is a damn hard sell in today's character-driven market. Doesn't mean it can't be done, of course, but it's hard to build up the same level of immersion in 500 words as it is in 5000. wotf007
s_c_baker

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 pm

s_c_baker wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:

Shorter, sure. Flash? Flash is a damn hard sell in today's character-driven market. Doesn't mean it can't be done, of course, but it's hard to build up the same level of immersion in 500 words as it is in 5000. wotf007

Not sure if it has to be that short For Q4 I may try to add some more growth to my MC in a 2,300 word humorous piece. Actually, I have two-one almost sold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

Postby MeganG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm new here, but just wanted to add my congratulations to Steffenwolf for pro-ing out! That's awesome! And good luck with your final WotF entries - hopefully you'll manage to get the best of both worlds!
2X HM
1X Silver HM
2X Semi-Finalist
MeganG

Postby MeganG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 pm

And as for my Q2, I'm starting a bit late this time, but I'm determined to enter every quarter this year. Luckily, this story entered my mind almost fully formed, which is the first time that's ever happened to me. I know lots of writers can't start a story until they know the ending, but I've always had to write my way well into a story before I have any real concept (beyond vague impressions) of how it will end. So to be starting a story that I've already mentally written the ending to? Definitely different, but kinda neat.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to my other stories. And if I can ever manage to do it again.
2X HM
1X Silver HM
2X Semi-Finalist
MeganG

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 pm

MeganG wrote:And as for my Q2, I'm starting a bit late this time, but I'm determined to enter every quarter this year. Luckily, this story entered my mind almost fully formed, which is the first time that's ever happened to me. I know lots of writers can't start a story until they know the ending, but I've always had to write my way well into a story before I have any real concept (beyond vague impressions) of how it will end. So to be starting a story that I've already mentally written the ending to? Definitely different, but kinda neat.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to my other stories. And if I can ever manage to do it again.

Oh F***, deadline's THE END OF THIS MONTH, isn't it? They always slip up on me. wotf005

That sounds like to me the best way to write. (As I see you suggest is common!) Here's hoping it goes well for you. wotf007 I guess this gives me less of an excuse than ever to finish this one I'm working on quickly.
s_c_baker

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 pm

MeganG wrote:And as for my Q2, I'm starting a bit late this time, but I'm determined to enter every quarter this year. Luckily, this story entered my mind almost fully formed, which is the first time that's ever happened to me. I know lots of writers can't start a story until they know the ending, but I've always had to write my way well into a story before I have any real concept (beyond vague impressions) of how it will end. So to be starting a story that I've already mentally written the ending to? Definitely different, but kinda neat.

Sometimes it's those that win. The "Definitely different, but kinda neat" as well as almost last minute.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

Postby Strycher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:39 am

s_c_baker wrote:THE END OF THIS MONTH, isn't it?

Is it?

::checks calender::

Oh yeah!

26 Days.
"Sapience and Maternal Instincts" at Daily Science Fiction and Toasted Cake|| "The Filigreed Cage" at Fireside ||
Strycher

Postby Kary English » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 am

26 Days Later?

*downloads Panic app*

*presses Any key*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*BONK* Ow.

Who put a wall there?
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists
Q2,V31 - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B - forthcoming in DSF
Kary English

Postby MeganG » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 am

Sometimes it's those that win. The "Definitely different, but kinda neat" as well as almost last minute.

Here's hoping! But honestly, I think the chances are even more slim than usual, because the story is centered around one of Dave's pet peeves. wotf018

But it's integral to the story, so I'll write it the best way I know how, hope I can write it in a way that veers away from cliche, send it off and see what happens.
2X HM
1X Silver HM
2X Semi-Finalist
MeganG

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am

Kary English wrote:26 Days Later?

*downloads Panic app*

*presses Any key*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*BONK* Ow.

Who put a wall there?

That's about how I feel right now.
s_c_baker

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am

s_c_baker wrote:

*downloads Panic app*

*presses Any key*

Who put a wall there?

That's about how I feel right now.

Thirded.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 1, HM - 7, R - 4
Words of Birch
Rebecca Birch

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm

*downloads Panic app*

*presses Any key*

Who put a wall there?

Not me.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

Postby austinDm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 pm

*downloads Panic app*

*presses Any key*

Who put a wall there?

Give me 25 days and I'll be there too.
austinDm

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:14 pm

*downloads Panic app*

*presses Any key*

Who put a wall there?

And I should have said, I have my own wall that I'm too busy with to make one for you. wotf007

Mine's been around for five years. wotf014

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

Postby dantzel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 am

Crap, I suppose this means I should stop dilly-dallying and get back to working on my Q2 story. wotf002

Writing is HARD these days.
Vol 29 Q3 Semi Finalist

Birthing Fire
The Business is Dying - Penumbra Magazine, February 2013
Holding Up the Weight of the World - Fireside Magazine, March 2014
http://www.dantzelcherry.com
dantzel

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Just sent mine in.

It's the one I had all types of problems with. The opening was a pain to write in the way I wanted it, sections were redone and/or moved, UGH.
I managed to cut somewhere around 500 words--with some help.

Two-or was it three--of six people didn't like it. One of the six did.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

Postby Ishmael » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 am

I have been interested by the discussions as to word count. It seems to me that it depends very much on what you're up against.

In his 'How to win a writing contest,' DF wrote: 'If an author writes a super-short story, one that shows his or her genius a couple of times, I might like the story. But the truth is that a longer story, where an author shows his or her genius fifty times, will carry more weight with me as a judge.'

The implication is that, where quality is similar, longer is better. That is, of course, where such length is allowed by the competition, as in WotF.

My earliest competitive efforts were in 1200 and 1500 word competitions. At the time I thought 1500 words gave me a lot of space. That was about 2 years ago. Now it is rare for me to go below 7000 unless I work hard on paring the story down. Nevertheless, I have regularly found that paring down will improve a story in which I have allowed myself to become verbose and veer off into digressions.

My local writing festival, an annual event for which the entry date is once again only a month away, now places me in a tricky spot since the short story is only 1500 maximum. So for this year I dragged out two or three old stories of 2000 or even more and tried to cut them down. To my surprise, not only was the task simplicity itself, but without exception the stories were better as a result.

My conclusion from this is that length is no use for the sake of it, but only if you take the available opportunity to show more of your genius. (And those who may feel that their genius is in short supply had better remember what a large precentage of it is perspiration, not inspiration!)
HM V29/3 & V31/1
Spatchcock in AE Summer 2014
The Prophets of Baal on Smashwords
The View from Sliabh Mannan (blog)
Ishmael

Postby austinDm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:56 am

^I agree entirely.

Another point about genius and longer stories is that more words also affords the writer more space to ruin it. One major mistake can turn an editor off a story entirely, so longer is better ONLY if the quality is consistent.
austinDm

Postby s_c_baker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Ishmael wrote:So for this year I dragged out two or three old stories of 2000 or even more and tried to cut them down. To my surprise, not only was the task simplicity itself, but without exception the stories were better as a result.

My conclusion from this is that length is no use for the sake of it, but only if you take the available opportunity to show more of your genius. (And those who may feel that their genius is in short supply had better remember what a large precentage of it is perspiration, not inspiration!)

Word.

Brevity is wit. wotf007
s_c_baker

Postby Kary English » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:23 pm

I showed the first 5 pages of my Q2 to my husband.

He said it sounded like the set up for a porno.

I'm doomed. /facepalm
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists
Q2,V31 - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B - forthcoming in DSF
Kary English

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Kary English wrote:I showed the first 5 pages of my Q2 to my husband.

He said it sounded like the set up for a porno.

I'm doomed. /facepalm

Well, if it's a well written set up for porno David might keep reading.

Once you have him hooked you have him but than again he may feel cheated when the porno doesn't show up...I'm assuming it doesn't. wotf007

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
LDWriter2

PreviousNext

Return to The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items