Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ishmael

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 32

Postby Ishmael » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:30 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:Congrats to Stewart and KD, especially Stewart who I feared like myself, like Steve and a few others might be doomed to perpetual WotF incompatibility. Delighted to see it isn't so, there's hope for us all! wotf006 wotf024

s_c_baker wrote:What, me? Win?
Me, Stewart "If even he can get finalist there's hope for us all" Baker?

As a sea-green incorruptible myself, I am bound to point out that the gentleman maketh up his own quotations.

Although all winners are deserving, from the point of view of we forumites, we who toil long at the typeface and bring forth with much travail our best creations only to find them cast out into the darkness of HMs or the outer darkness of Rs, we who wait endlessly for our turn in the sun and yet begrudge not success to any fellow writer, we, I say, who long for a champion to arise from the ranks of the downtrodden and oppressed, yea, even we, when it appeareth that one amongst us hath been lifted up into the ether of the final round, we who long to sing and dance and proclaim in the streets and the fields that verily a Daniel has come to judgement, shall we at the last be mocked by one of our own?

Surely not? wotf011
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:41 am

The only one I'm intending to mock is myself. wotf007
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:21 am

s_c_baker wrote:The only one I'm intending to mock is myself. wotf007

Well, I'd thank you to think of me. I missed meeting Sam, Martin, Kary, and Tina, and seeing Sharon again last year. The least you could do is make published finalist so I could have a friend when I get there. You're being very selfish with all of this.

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Ishmael wrote:
E.CaimanSands wrote:Congrats to Stewart and KD, especially Stewart who I feared like myself, like Steve and a few others might be doomed to perpetual WotF incompatibility. Delighted to see it isn't so, there's hope for us all! wotf006 wotf024

s_c_baker wrote:What, me? Win?
Me, Stewart "If even he can get finalist there's hope for us all" Baker?

As a sea-green incorruptible myself, I am bound to point out that the gentleman maketh up his own quotations.

Indeed! Clearly, my point was that Stewart, being somewhat liberal-minded as well as somewhat inclined toward literariness and with proven strengths in the shortest of short narratives might have to adapt his usual style to fit the exacting demands of this particular market. Which just demonstrates great flexibility of spirit!

Being very wordy today, O Boring One.

Can if I want. So there.

Better.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Still no word, so I queried Joni.

It appears as though she can find no record of my sub. And yet I received an acknowledgement email, and then another in July informing me I was yet to be judged.

Sigh.

Steve
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Clearly, my point was that Stewart, being somewhat liberal-minded as well as somewhat inclined toward literariness and with proven strengths in the shortest of short narratives might have to adapt his usual style to fit the exacting demands of this particular market. Which just demonstrates great flexibility of spirit!

Methinks thou dost protest too much! wotf001

Interestingly, though, this particular story of mine is not one I wrote with the contest in mind at all. Although it probably is on the short side for the contest, it's on the long side for me--but that's about the only difference from how I usually write...
Last edited by s_c_baker on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:51 pm

klaatu wrote:Still no word, so I queried Joni.

It appears as though she can find no record of my sub. And yet I received an acknowledgement email, and then another in July informing me I was yet to be judged.

Sigh.

Steve

Argh, that's terrible. :(

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Sigh.

Steve

Man, that's a rough one, especially after such a long wait.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:55 pm

It's all good.

When I subbed, the auto system shut down three hours early, so I emailed it to Joni. She put it through as a paper sub, and she hasn't received those back from Dave yet.

*** Joni said she should get those back in a few days. ***

Happier.

Steve
Last edited by klaatu on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.stevecameron.com.au

Muri McCage

Postby Muri McCage » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Oh, that's good to know, Steve. For you, of course. Me, as well. Seems I've been jumping twitchily to the post office prematurely.
Mom in the Moon, Analog October 2016
Dare to dream, now and tomorrow....
Blog: Dreams of the Purple Koala
http://murimccage.wordpress.com/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MuriMcCage

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:03 am

klaatu wrote:When I subbed, the auto system shut down three hours early

This is a pattern, is it not? Methinks the programmer and Joni are not on the same page. (Or in in the same time zone, peradventure?)

wotf003

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:17 am

klaatu wrote: she hasn't received those back from Dave yet.

But the quarter is over...
Unless we don't know all the finalists, and we don't know all the winners, and one or more are among the paper. Still, I imagine all 8 were at least called...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

BarbCaffrey

Postby BarbCaffrey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:32 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
klaatu wrote: she hasn't received those back from Dave yet.

But the quarter is over...
Unless we don't know all the finalists, and we don't know all the winners, and one or more are among the paper. Still, I imagine all 8 were at least called...

I'm with Steve/Klaatu. I also was among those who were entered late because the server closed down early. Joni made a paper sub -- I didn't even know she could do that -- and sent it out. So that's apparently why I haven't heard anything; Joni hasn't replied to me yet, but since Steve/Klaatu is in the same boat as I am, it's likely that's why.

For the record, this is also what happened to me in Q3 -- I don't know who's running that server, but they need to not close up things until 11:59:59 PDT (in daylight savings time) or 11:59:59 PST (when we're not in DST).

And I'm betting that one or more of the finalists are indeed in that last group. (Whether any are winners or not, I don't know, but if any are, there's no way on Earth they'd know at this point. They don't even know they're a finalist yet!)

Barb Caffrey

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:40 am

Sigh.

Steve

Damn -- so sorry to heart that
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:41 am

My story was in the subs that were emailed to Joni and printed out. DF was apparently in an airport hotel while he read them, so I imagine they just haven't made their way back to her yet. (I had to re-email Joni my story so it could be sent to the other judges, to save DF the trouble of overnighting it to her.)

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:15 am

Barb Caffrey wrote: [For the record, this is also what happened to me in Q3].

No confirmation that Joni made me a paper sub in Q2, but I ran afoul of an early cutoff in both quarters. I chose not to submit in Q3; fool me twice...

I feel that I have a much better Q4 story for having the revision time.

Kent

E.CaimanSands

Postby E.CaimanSands » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:32 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Clearly, my point was that Stewart, being somewhat liberal-minded as well as somewhat inclined toward literariness and with proven strengths in the shortest of short narratives might have to adapt his usual style to fit the exacting demands of this particular market. Which just demonstrates great flexibility of spirit!

Methinks thou dost protest too much! wotf001

Interestingly, though, this particular story of mine is not one I wrote with the contest in mind at all. Although it probably is on the short side for the contest, it's on the long side for me--but that's about the only difference from how I usually write...

I enjoy protesting, yes. But anyway...

My guess is you've won. If you've gotten past David, convincing enough of the other judges is surely the easy bit. wotf007 wotf007 wotf007
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:34 pm

O' press release, press release.

Wherefore art thou press release?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:04 pm

At this point I wonder if they're waiting until the Hugos are done so it doesn't get lost in the noise.

Or they may just be waiting on getting those last paper subs back from DF. (Most responses from that pile still haven't gone out, AFAIK.)

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:09 pm

s_c_baker wrote:At this point I wonder if they're waiting until the Hugos are done so it doesn't get lost in the noise.

Or they may just be waiting on getting those last paper subs back from DF. (Most responses from that pile still haven't gone out, AFAIK.)

right after the Hugos they'll be noting BUT noise.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

preston

Postby preston » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:O' press release, press release.

Release the release!

BarbCaffrey

Postby BarbCaffrey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:42 pm

I know I'm not among the winners. I might have received another HM; I might not.

I will be ineligible soon, folks. I will freely admit I was hoping for better. But I know how many people enter and many stories are wonderful.

Thanks to Joni, the contest administrator, even though her words were not the ones I was hoping for.

Barb

stout

Postby stout » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:12 pm

So Joni replied to my query asking if I'd sent a paper sub. I replied that I hadn't, that I had submitted mine online on March 13. Then I replied to the confirmation of my submission, sent to me on March 13. I'm about 99.999999999999% certain I was rejected or lost in the shuffle, now lol

BarbCaffrey

Postby BarbCaffrey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 pm

stout wrote:So Joni replied to my query asking if I'd sent a paper sub. I replied that I hadn't, that I had submitted mine online on March 13. Then I replied to the confirmation of my submission, sent to me on March 13. I'm about 99.999999999999% certain I was rejected or lost in the shuffle, now lol

That's awful, stout. Very, very sorry to hear this. I hope they do find your submission.

Barb wotf015

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:50 am

BarbCaffrey wrote:I know I'm not among the winners. I might have received another HM; I might not.

I will be ineligible soon, folks. I will freely admit I was hoping for better. But I know how many people enter and many stories are wonderful.

Thanks to Joni, the contest administrator, even though her words were not the ones I was hoping for.

Barb

Being ineligible is also a kind of win. I think Kevin J Anderson proed out of the contest, so you'll be in good company at least.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:51 am

stout wrote:So Joni replied to my query asking if I'd sent a paper sub. I replied that I hadn't, that I had submitted mine online on March 13. Then I replied to the confirmation of my submission, sent to me on March 13. I'm about 99.999999999999% certain I was rejected or lost in the shuffle, now lol

Yeesh. Stuff like this makes me wonder if they've ever thought about a switch to submittable or something more reliable...

stout

Postby stout » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:32 pm

BarbCaffrey wrote:

That's awful, stout. Very, very sorry to hear this. I hope they do find your submission.

Barb wotf015

Her response was "Okay, no problem." WTF is THAT supposed to mean? Between this and the hundreds of spam messages I get from them, this contest is losing traction with me. I am EXTREMELY frustrated at this point.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:49 pm

I would guess a misdirected email? But I'd respond and tell her what you just said here (but without the wtf). I complained a lot about the spam and it didn't affect my contest standing, so you have nothing to lose by speaking up.

BarbCaffrey

Postby BarbCaffrey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:35 pm

Yeah, stout, definitely ask about where your submission is again, and say that you didn't understand her answer before.

If they lost the submission completely, the only thing you can do is try it again this quarter (as I'm going to assume you either sent something else for Q3 or didn't enter Q3, as that one's already in, too).

BTW, I received official word that my story did...nothing.

Not happy, but not unhappy with Joni the contest admin. (Not her fault that my sub stayed out 137 days for no reason.)

Barb

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:33 am

Dustin Adams wrote:O' press release, press release.

Oh Dustin! Dustin!

This is one of my pet hates. In Shakespearean English the word 'wherefore' is a synonym for 'why' not a synonym for 'where'. In the balcony scene, Juliet is not asking whereabouts in the garden Romeo happens to be located, she is bewailing her fate in having fallen in love with an enemy. "Wherefore art thou Romeo?" means "Why did you have to be Romeo?" or "Why couldn't you have been someone else?"

In comedy sketches actors have so frequently misplaced the stress on the word 'art' instead of on the word 'Romeo' that we've all come to believe that's where it belongs.

Well I'm glad I got that off my chest. Now you can all go back to wondering about the news.

And I can go back to being insufferable.

wotf013

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”