Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
amoskalik

Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 32

Postby amoskalik » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Only 3 months and 12 days to go ...
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

austinDm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 32

Postby austinDm » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:52 pm

I was wondering when this thread would get started.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Dustin started the last few and he made finalist. Kary started the Q2 last year and she won that quarter.
If it works for them, maybe just maybe ...

Kary English

Postby Kary English » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:30 pm

And guess who started the illustrious Q1V29 thread?
WOTF: 1 HM, 1 Semi, 2 Finalists, 1 Winner
Q2,V31 - Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Flight of the Kikayon at the Grantville Gazette
Totaled (revised HM) in issue #9 of Mike Resnick's Galaxy's Edge
Departure Gate 34B at DSF

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:38 pm

There should be a prize for first to comment as well wotf011

preston

Postby preston » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:40 pm

amoskalik wrote:Dustin started the last few and he made finalist. Kary started the Q2 last year and she won that quarter.
If it works for them, maybe just maybe ...

Ha-ha! I noticed that too. Now, just get a thousands posts and you're a shoe-in! wotf011

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:50 am

Amos,

Actually I started like the last four or five. I'm an... optimist.

I keep thinking, "No whammies, no whammies."

2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:26 am

But under the new dispensation ...

Aharr! Anthing you has may be taken away by a pirate

I was just going to say that. wotf002
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 8 x HM, WotF batting average .500
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:07 pm

I have my story about ninety percent done. Thought about doing another one because even though I tried to give this well used premise a good %45 twist, I'm not sure if Dave would agree that I did. I won't say more than that of what type of story or what twist. I thought maybe a SF tale or better yet a space opera with a %90 twist-at least-but what would the twist be? Romance is out-having someone waiting for my MC back home is out-going from gun battles to mental battles is out. When he says novelty I keep thinking of the story about the toddler with the gay dad. But then again there's that "Cop for a Day" story too.

Anyway--I'll keep my muse working on the space opera idea but I will finish the one I am working on--maybe this time the writing will be enough to catch his attention at least. I know one other pro writer-editor who liked the opening. Dave is a different guy of course but maybe it will be close enough to his likes so he will read the whole thing this time.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Okay, thought I was very very close to being finished, but thought I would expand on a certain mini scene or is that sub-scene? Anyway, things didn't work out for me to do it tonight.

(Sigh) It probably isn't different enough for Dave. Or despite the fact that one other editor-writer liked the opening, Dave won't. Hard to be sure but it seems I lose him with the opening. I know that Stephen, at F&SF, didn't get past my opening the last three stories I sent to WotF then to F&SF.

Well, maybe the one I just sent in will get something Good--that would be nice, but even with trying and working on it, I doubt my writing had improved since the last story.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

dracoangelica

Postby dracoangelica » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:29 pm

I had a story that I wrote to send in, but due to holiday madness and some unpredictable computer and work issues did not make deadline! So my goal is to send in the story I WAS going to submit for Q1 to Q2! And write another for Q3. Heh. Just keep on a typing, right?

Holly Heisey

Postby Holly Heisey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:20 pm

I have no idea what I'm going to sub for Q2, but I have "Sub for Q2" on my list of goals this year, so we'll see.

I have a story that I wrote a few weeks ago and started to edit, but it might be slow going, and it's waaaay out there as far as the contest is concerned. I wrote if for QDSF at Lightspeed, so I wanted to sub there first, and that window closes at the middle of Feb. Would I get it back in time? I have no idea. (Of course, I wouldn't really want to get it back, eh?)

But hey, I didn't think I'd sub for Q1, and at the last minute I did. The quarter is yet young. Words may yet be written. wotf007

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:46 am

I'm in dracoangelica's boat exactly -- I know exactly what I'll be subbing for Q2, because it's the story I couldn't get finished in time for Q1. *shakes fist at Christmas*

On the up side, during Christmas, I did spend a lot of time thinking "hey, I could do this, or that", so hopefully that means I actually have something that will be worth all the time it's taking when I'm actually done with it.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:37 am

I have an 18K monstrosity of a first draft that I finished at the beginning of December. It's probably time to pick it back up and see what I have. Maybe I can whip it into shape.
I also have a story in the planning stages that I am pretty geeked about, so I'll just have to keep working and see what I have at the end of the quarter.

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:01 pm

All right. I said I wasn't submitting to Q1 because I had a novel to revise. Said novel is not done, but I did promise myself to submit to Q2. So, time to dig the 9K word novelette out, brush it off, and see what edits it needs before submission.
Silver Honorable Mention: 1
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:56 am

I keep going back and forth on ideas for Q2. I have one story that has a solid outline, but I just can't seem to get the beginning right. I'll write it, then go back a few days later to read it and it just sounds so dull. So I rewrite it again and still I find myself wanting to press the snooze button on my alarm! My other story idea is one that I absolutely love, and I get really enthusiastic every time I think of it. But the problem with that one is I just can't figure out a good ending. So I find myself stuck between one story with no beginning and one story with no ending. I just know I better get cracking, the deadline has a way of sneaking up on me.
wotf012

There is a little bit of good news though - I've almost completed my second drawing for the illustrators contest, so I should be ready to submit by the end of this month!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 3x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Well Two is officially open. Anyone send in a story yet?

Anyone finished enough to trade crits?

This time I have enough time to maybe send it to one or two markets first, but I don't know about that.

Well, maybe one certain one.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:52 am

Well I'm a happy dude. I finally had a successful brainstorming session on my Q2.
I've had this story idea in my head for well over a year, written parts of it, but it never gelled.
I loved the MC, and the idea, but I couldn't get my througline.
Last night - found it.
So now I can begin to write, and build the story around my line.
I should be ready to trade some 450s around the start of February.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

bthomas7

Postby bthomas7 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:29 am

Holly Heisey wrote: I wrote if for QDSF at Lightspeed, so I wanted to sub there first, and that window closes at the middle of Feb. Would I get it back in time?

If the QDSF is handled the same way Adams handles the rest of Lightspeed you will hear back within two weeks. I've had several stories rejected from Lightspeed and Nightmare and all three of them were back within a few days. Here's hoping to an acceptance for you instead!

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:09 pm

I could trade crits in February too. My goal is to get this draft done by the end of January.
Silver Honorable Mention: 1
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:21 pm

I've had the same responses from Lightspeed -- five submissions, and all my responses came back within three days, including the "good" form response I got one time (the only one that took even three days). And with Nightmare, I've had every rejection back within a day.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

MickeyHunt

Postby MickeyHunt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Well I'm a happy dude. I finally had a successful brainstorming session on my Q2.
I've had this story idea in my head for well over a year, written parts of it, but it never gelled.
I loved the MC, and the idea, but I couldn't get my througline.
Last night - found it.
So now I can begin to write, and build the story around my line.
I should be ready to trade some 450s around the start of February.

Empathetic commiserations, Dustin, for you near win.

I'm hoping that my Q1 sub will reach semifinalist. It was my first story written specifically for this contest.

For Q2, I may sub a story that earned an R here on its initial outing. After achieving several additional Rs elsewhere, I tossed it into the trunk for a year. But then recently I brought it back out and reviewed the editor's personal comments from the last rejection. He liked the story, but it lacked something "astounding". So, with some of my children home for the holidays, I conducted a brainstorming session around the dinner table. I set up the story and asked for ideas. In short, I got that astounding idea, worked it in, and cut 700 words. It changes everything.

ZombieWife

Postby ZombieWife » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:46 am

I have a story. Finished the 2nd draft last night. Letting is sit and stew.

I have another idea, but need help with story concept and brainstorming. I might hit up some pals for that soon. It's just not clicking or presenting itself yet. (That kind of sounds like a birds of paradise mating ritual, lol.)

2nd quarter is always a bit unnerving. I seem to recall not getting any word until June or July last time. Probably because of the ceremony and workshop. I wish it were easier to let it fall off the radar and just go about your life. Ha!

Another thing that I always wonder about is genre. I remember being told that Q1 was fantasy heavy (2 years ago) and so they went more toward sci-fi in Q2. So, sometimes it's not just about writing a good story, but picking the right genre. Kind of like finding the ball under the right cup.
Last edited by ZombieWife on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------
Vol. 30, Q2 - Finalist
Vol. 32, Q2 - Submitted

gower21

Postby gower21 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:51 am

Kary English wrote:And guess who started the illustrious Q1V29 thread?

It was the only quarter thread I managed to start. Weird, yeah?

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:13 pm

gower21 wrote:
Kary English wrote:And guess who started the illustrious Q1V29 thread?

It was the only quarter thread I managed to start. Weird, yeah?

Weird or prophetic? wotf011

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Wow. Only 12 days into the quarter and I already finished 3 illustrations for the contest! I just don't know if I should submit now or hold off and see what else I can develop. I did want to start focusing on the writing again since that takes longer, but it's just so tempting to keep drawing and drawing and drawing...

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:52 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:Wow. Only 12 days into the quarter and I already finished 3 illustrations for the contest! I just don't know if I should submit now or hold off and see what else I can develop. I did want to start focusing on the writing again since that takes longer, but it's just so tempting to keep drawing and drawing and drawing...

You could take a break to write a story and then while you're letting to story sit and/or getting critiques, do a few more drawings to see if you come up with something else you like better. wotf017

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Strycher wrote:
Imagination Vortex wrote:Wow. Only 12 days into the quarter and I already finished 3 illustrations for the contest! I just don't know if I should submit now or hold off and see what else I can develop. I did want to start focusing on the writing again since that takes longer, but it's just so tempting to keep drawing and drawing and drawing...

You could take a break to write a story and then while you're letting to story sit and/or getting critiques, do a few more drawings to see if you come up with something else you like better. wotf017

That's a good plan. I still have 2 and half months left, so I guess there's no reason to rush and submit anything now. And I have a story that's almost finished, which gives me plenty of time to get some critiques. For once I feel like I'm right on track and will be able to accomplish all the goals I set out for myself.

Now I must get back to writing because the words seem to be flowing easily today. wotf007

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:
Strycher wrote:

That's a good plan. I still have 2 and half months left, so I guess there's no reason to rush and submit anything now. And I have a story that's almost finished, which gives me plenty of time to get some critiques. For once I feel like I'm right on track and will be able to accomplish all the goals I set out for myself.

Now I must get back to writing because the words seem to be flowing easily today. wotf007

Huzzah, Stephanie! wotf009 Sounds like this is your quarter!

addisoncs

Postby addisoncs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Welp, jumping back into the WotF craziness. All of my writing goals this year involve writing stories that are in the 15-20k range, so that fits nice and snug with putting together some WotF entries. I've only subbed once before, in Q4 of 2013, and managed an honorable mention, but have been aching to put something together for it since then.

Started the story last night, and am at 2,800 words. We'll see how this goes.

Best of luck to everybody!
-Addison

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”