Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ishmael

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 32

Postby Ishmael » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:55 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Was this the "Bring out your dead!" story? Well, I call it that because of the Monty Python... Oh, you know.
I'm excited for you! There was definitely a fun edge to that story, and I could see its potential. Glad it scored well for you.

Now, get out there and sell it!

It was indeed. I went through quite a phase of failing to apply Heinlein's Rules, particularly rule 2. It is invaluable to be put back on track when derailed.

I am hoping that story may sell, but I'm also excited to have completed 3 good length stories and done some very useful (I hope) revisions since the summer holidays. It is so very satisfying to be FINISHING stuff again!

For the benefit of those who may be unfamiliar with the term:

HEINLEIN'S RULES
1. You must write.wotf042
2. You must finish what you write.wotf042
3. You must refrain from rewriting, except to editorial order. wotf029***
4. You must put the work on the market. wotf046
5. You must keep the work on the market until it is sold. wotf027

To which Sawyer adds:
6. Write something else.wotf042

To which Ishmael usually adds:
****unless you got it wrong the first time wotf052
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Finalist here! So stoked and I'm biting my nails off at getting "the call"...
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

preston

Postby preston » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:47 pm

JeremySzal wrote:Finalist here! So stoked and I'm biting my nails off at getting "the call"...

Congratulations, and good luck! Somebody get this man a nail file!

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:56 pm

JeremySzal wrote:Finalist here! So stoked and I'm biting my nails off at getting "the call"...

Do what I'm doing: constantly check your phone for signal and missed calls; endlessly imagine the call itself and how casual and cool you'll be when you take it; rehearse a speech to give at the awards ceremony that'll stun your peers with its eloquence and insight; Google up everything you can possibly find about workshops past; think about the business cards and website you'll need once you're launched by the contest; imagine one day coming back to the contest as a great success story, eager to dispense wisdom and kindness to a new generation of entrants.

I mean, none of that is actually helping me, but I can't stop myself. I've only had 2 HMs before, so I'm getting altogether too carried away with being a finalist at last!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

george nik.

Postby george nik. » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:53 am

Congrats and good luck to all finalists, especially the forumite ones. wotf010 Do we have four already, or have I lost count along the way?
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 43 stories sold, 29 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:35 am

MattDovey wrote: a speech to give at the awards ceremony

Yes. A speech. I haven't forgotten about that at all. wotf018

JenD-F

Postby JenD-F » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:53 am

MattDovey wrote:Do what I'm doing: constantly check your phone for signal and missed calls; endlessly imagine the call itself and how casual and cool you'll be when you take it; rehearse a speech to give at the awards ceremony that'll stun your peers with its eloquence and insight; Google up everything you can possibly find about workshops past; think about the business cards and website you'll need once you're launched by the contest; imagine one day coming back to the contest as a great success story, eager to dispense wisdom and kindness to a new generation of entrants.

I mean, none of that is actually helping me, but I can't stop myself. I've only had 2 HMs before, so I'm getting altogether too carried away with being a finalist at last!

Hi Jeremy! wotf046

I spend most morning up in the mountains of CA where there is no cell signal and those hours are actually the best for me because I don't have to keep checking my phone since I know no signal will get through. I am so very ready for The Call! (I'm taking Matt's approach...plus I've already picked out my dress for the gala....ha!)

Good luck to you. wotf009
Anthropologist by day, writer by night.

http://dornan-fish.com/

Athena

Postby Athena » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:08 am

How exciting! Congrats to the finalists!
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:45 am

Strycher wrote:

Speeches are easy!

Here, let me help.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

jkbriley

Postby jkbriley » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:49 am

So, this is my second time participating in the contest, first time posting to the forums. Should I have received some notification of my entry's status by now? All I've gotten is an email from Joni reminding me that the current quarter is about to close on the 30th.

Thanks.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:02 pm

jkbriley wrote:So, this is my second time participating in the contest, first time posting to the forums. Should I have received some notification of my entry's status by now? All I've gotten is an email from Joni reminding me that the current quarter is about to close on the 30th.

Thanks.

Joni is pretty responsive to e-mails, so if you want you can check in with her: Jonil@authorservicesinc.com

I think in about half the quarters, the only e-mail I ever got was my rejection, though. Theoretically you get a confirmation e-mail at some point, but there always seem to be a few glitches in the system.

Also, welcome to the forums! wotf007
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

JenD-F

Postby JenD-F » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:49 pm

s_c_baker wrote:Speeches are easy!

Here, let me help.

Ahahahah, this is amazing.

"Consciousness consists of expanding wave functions of quantum energy. “Quantum” means a summoning of the amazing. Awareness is the knowledge of balance, and of us."

So, so very true. If I win I am totally using this.
Anthropologist by day, writer by night.

http://dornan-fish.com/

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:00 pm

JenD-F wrote:

Here, let me help.

Ahahahah, this is amazing.

"Consciousness consists of expanding wave functions of quantum energy. “Quantum” means a summoning of the amazing. Awareness is the knowledge of balance, and of us."

So, so very true. If I win I am totally using this.

How great would it be if all the winners for the year used it for their speeches, acting like nothing was wrong? wotf019

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:09 am

s_c_baker wrote:
Strycher wrote:

Speeches are easy!

Here, let me help.

wotf021 My head hurts. I may have refreshed too many times.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:20 am

Strycher wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:
Strycher wrote:

Speeches are easy!

Here, let me help.

That'd be the build up of quantum in your meridians. You need to realign your waves along the parallels of the fluid magnetic leylines running across and through the grounded earth beneath you. Someone can probably sell you a map for that (although of course, due to the fluid nature of the magnetic leylines, you'll need to maintain a subscription for only $20 a week to stay current*).

This is easy. I wish the fiction flowed as easily from the fingertips as this guff!

*pun not intended

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:40 am

Guff? Guff, you say?

If memory serves, the archaeologist Richard Atkinson conclusively showed that the distribution of UK telephone boxes was based upon ley lines.

If that isn't conclusive proof I don't know what is!

wotf024
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:17 am

MattDovey wrote:
Strycher wrote:

Here, let me help.

That'd be the build up of quantum in your meridians. You need to realign your waves along the parallels of the fluid magnetic leylines running across and through the grounded earth beneath you. Someone can probably sell you a map for that (although of course, due to the fluid nature of the magnetic leylines, you'll need to maintain a subscription for only $20 a week to stay current*).

*pun not intended

wotf019

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:17 am

MattDovey wrote:
Here, let me help.

wotf021 My head hurts. I may have refreshed too many times.[/quote]

This is easy. I wish the fiction flowed as easily from the fingertips as this guff!

*pun not intended[/quote]
Sorry Matt but here the only puns allowed are the intentional ones.
wotf019
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:47 am

bobsandiego wrote:Sorry Matt but here the only puns allowed are the intentional ones.
wotf019

I did try out a variety of lines, to see if any of them worked. I went through seven, eight, nine, desperate for something funny enough to endear me to my fellow forumites, but they weren't working.

I stepped away from the keyboard and went for a breath of fresh air. I came back, boiled my kettle, made a cup of tea and got a biscuit. I cleared my mind and flexed my fingers and prepared one final assault upon the problem.

I wrote out a final joke, sat back and surveyed my work.

It wasn't enough.

I'd tried to find a joke that would strike gold, but no pun in ten did.

wotf001

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:29 pm

Reading this thread is a punishing experience. wotf002

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:45 pm

A question for the finalists amoung us, the ones not in this quarter, how long does it take from the first call to when you discover if you've won or not? Joni said 2-3 weeks, but I just wanted to check what you guys experienced when you were on the dial.
Thanks guys. Biting my fingers off here. wotf010
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:53 pm

It varies. My first time was close to a month. Last time (last quarter) it took a week. You will know as soon as you hear her voice if you won or not.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:55 pm

My understanding (for whatever it's worth) is that a month is more typical. Last quarter was a weird anomaly.

Interestingly, I am apparently so terrible at telephony I cannot judge tone. I really didn't have a clue whether I'd won or lost until she told me. (Though it may have just been situational weirdness. I was driving when I got the call, so my wife had to answer the phone for me and put it on speakerphone. As a result, Joni sounded more confused than anything to start with...)

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Wow. I'm still in shock. I got an email from Joni for my Illustrators submission and turns out I got Honorable Mention!!!!!

I didn't even know they were doing rankings, but turns out this is the first quarter they started! So I'm really happy to have got Honorable Mention on the first official quarter with rankings! Joni also said it will be similar to the writing except there will be no Silvers. So just Winner, Finalist, Semi and Honorable Mention.

Still can't believe it!!! wotf007
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:Wow. I'm still in shock. I got an email from Joni for my Illustrators submission and turns out I got Honorable Mention!!!!!

I didn't even know they were doing rankings, but turns out this is the first quarter they started! So I'm really happy to have got Honorable Mention on the first official quarter with rankings! Joni also said it will be similar to the writing except there will be no Silvers. So just Winner, Finalist, Semi and Honorable Mention.

Awesome! Nice job! wotf010

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:07 pm

Thank you! wotf007
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

preston

Postby preston » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:15 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:Wow. I'm still in shock. I got an email from Joni for my Illustrators submission and turns out I got Honorable Mention!!!!!

Sweet!

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:46 am

Congratulations Stephanie. wotf010 Maybe one day you can win both contests and illustrate your winning story in an anthology. I wonder if that's ever happened?
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:06 am

That's awesome! Congratulations!

JeremySzal wrote:A question for the finalists amoung us, the ones not in this quarter, how long does it take from the first call to when you discover if you've won or not? Joni said 2-3 weeks, but I just wanted to check what you guys experienced when you were on the dial.

I think it was 3 weeks and some change for me (and it was Q4 and Joni swore that they were going to rush it because they needed to get the anthology print-ready). I would just try to enjoy now. Right now you're Schrodinger's Winner. That's not such a bad place to be. Don't collapse the wave!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:45 am

JeremySzal wrote:A question for the finalists amoung us, the ones not in this quarter, how long does it take from the first call to when you discover if you've won or not? Joni said 2-3 weeks, but I just wanted to check what you guys experienced when you were on the dial.

Joni told me 2-3 weeks the first time.
It was five. wotf024

Second time was a 4th Q, so that was faster at 2.

The first time she started the conversation with, "Well, you didn't win." So I knew right away.
Second time she chatted me up for about a minute then dropped the bomb. wotf012
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”