Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 32

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:46 am

I'm baaaack.
And I'm a sheep. wotf005

Q3 is only 3 weeks away. I'm sure several of us are well into our stories, right? wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Brydar

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 32

Postby Brydar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:56 am

Actually done and done, but the funny thing is I cannot come up with a good title for the story. I read on here someone was working on a steampunk like story? I would be interested in reading one of those SS. My Q3 story is based off of an RPG I ran quite a while back. Yes yes I know I am a wotf022
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:30 am

My Q3 is written but still needs some major work. It is too long for one thing and the middle sections pacing is way off. But still over tree months to go.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Holly Heisey

Postby Holly Heisey » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:50 pm

I have a story seed! I don't know if I have anything more than that, but I have a couple of hundred words down on a story seed!

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:56 pm

amoskalik wrote:My Q3 is written but still needs some major work. It is too long for one thing and the middle sections pacing is way off. But still over tree months to go.

Is 10,000 words too long? My Q3 entry shall be about 10k words should I fail to impress with my Q2 entry. My first entry a while back was going to be 16,000 words which was derived from a book I had already written at just over 300 pages. However after hacking, cutting, trimming, down to the bare minimum I just could not let it go chopped down from the 300+ to 64 pages. According to my beta readers too much of the flavor of the original book and of the character evolution was lost. So I went back to square one and came up with an entirely different entry in about a week or so. Obviously my Q2 entry was much shorter than 16,000 words.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:42 am

10K is a great length for this contest. My story is 18K which is clearly too long, but I have confidence I can get it down to 15K or so. The cutoff is 17K or 68 standard formatted pages.

Strycher

Postby Strycher » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:24 am

Brydar wrote:Is 10,000 words too long?

My winning story was 9500. wotf017

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Hmm,

I was thinking I might try SF again just to be different from my last few entries.

I was also thinking of rewriting a story I submitted a few quarters ago. For two reasons. One is that I have learned a couple of things about writing since and two the story didn't quite come out the way I pictured. So I may redo it with the setting more what I want and one certain scene more like what I want.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

austinDm

Postby austinDm » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:52 pm

I have several stories drafted at the moment, though I have a particular market in mind for one of them. I'm sure I'll have something together by the end of June wotf011

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 pm

Hmm, I might change my mind. I haven't done "real" fantasy for a long time. So I might do one of those instead--we shall see.

Thought I had started one at work I might use but now I'm thinking it will be only around 1,000 words. 1400 tops--unless I get inspired with a new plot idea, which is possible even though not expected right now.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:45 pm

I caught the writing bug and kicked out a 10k word story in short order in prep for the up coming Q3. However for almost two days after that I have been sitting here trying to think of something new. I surfed the web looking at numerous real world happenings, read peoples commments on various forums about differing subjects, watched some old Trek, the Fellowship of the Ring, and for almost two days NOTHING was coming to me! wotf23 Finally a twisted fantasy adventure came to me, it is so far shaping up to be about an 8k story. I have about 1,200 words so far as my first draft and it is very ugly but the ideas are there. If I can put enough spit and polish on this one I think it has great possibities for an HM at least. I hope for a win of course especially if I can really make it glow.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:35 am

Sometimes the seemingly arbitrary themes set by various magazines can concentrate the mind into writing mode. For example Podcastle is currently restricting submissions to the theme 'Dirty Jobs'. I thought of the dirtiest imaginable job and then set out to write a story about someone performing it. It took considerable grinding and a prod from a fellow forumite to say the start wasn't too bad, but in the end I emerged with a story I really liked.

If anyone wants to try that theme you have until the end of the month. wotf013
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:42 am

MIne's going to be easy -- I found myself still editing my intended Q2 submission yesterday, so I just scratched it and pushed it back to Q3. At least I have time to relax and polish it now--and the story I'd planned to submit for Q3 I can push back to Q4. Hopefully this will all work out well in the end, but it was disappointing to miss the Q2 deadline.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:19 am

austinDm wrote:I have several stories drafted at the moment

I also have stories waiting for a destination. I do like to keep the best for WotF subs though.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:33 pm

I actually know what I'm submitting and actually have the first draft and stuff. This is weird.

I shall no doubt leave editing to the last minute!
Latest story: Half Price Souls (recompose Issue 3, February 2017)
www.tamlyndreaver.com

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Stalled with my rewrite but I still have time to get going again and to finish it. But I do have one other one written already if I feel like I won't have time. It needs revising but that won't take as long as doing the whole other story. It's different--I won't say how--but I don't recall on like it in a WotF but at the same time it is different for me. Unless I decide to redo one of my recent stories with what I have learned recently.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:02 am

My Beta readers got a taste of another story I was writing while approving of my SF entry for this coming quarter. So, it would seem I shall bow to the few fans I have and put aside the SF entry I intended for Q3 and save it for Q4. This Q3 entry for me will now be a Fantasy adventure. It is not yet completed and I most likely have at least a few days of finishing the draft, then begins the editing process, sending it to my Beta readers, etc... You all know how this story goes... wotf008
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Lair

Postby Lair » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:16 pm

I need to look into getting beta readers - one of these days
Jason Lairamore
Semi-Finalist x 1
HM x 5

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:51 am

Lair wrote:I need to look into getting beta readers - one of these days

I'll read the first 450 - any time. wotf006
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:48 am

You could try coworkers, team members of sporting groups, friends, and of course family - but tell them to be brutally honest. My problem is I need to expand my sphere of Beta readers. I have six people and five of them are SF&F fans and one is a murder mystery fan. I am trying to find some people from work who are avid readers of any genre and throw my works at them (you might say). Not sure what most people do with their Beta readers but I ask my readers to rate my work. Interesting Y/N, Grammatically sound Y/N, Length acceptable Y/N, Accuracy of story Y/N, Would they pay for it Y/N. Since the stories are short the last question is usually understood to mean with other short stories in a novel or book. My older sister usually gets a hard copy and since she is the English major I let her make all the nasty red marks on it (editing) and the other five get an e-mail attached copy.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:22 am

Dustin Adams wrote:

Curious about the 450 number, is this a make or break story number? If I do not grab Mr. Wolverton's interest in 450 words or less is my story doomed? How about a read between 450 and 600?
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:05 am

Brydar wrote:

You could try coworkers, team members of sporting groups, friends, and of course family - but tell them to be brutally honest. My problem is I need to expand my sphere of Beta readers. I have six people and five of them are SF&F fans and one is a murder mystery fan. I am trying to find some people from work who are avid readers of any genre and throw my works at them (you might say). Not sure what most people do with their Beta readers but I ask my readers to rate my work. Interesting Y/N, Grammatically sound Y/N, Length acceptable Y/N, Accuracy of story Y/N, Would they pay for it Y/N. Since the stories are short the last question is usually understood to mean with other short stories in a novel or book. My older sister usually gets a hard copy and since she is the English major I let her make all the nasty red marks on it (editing) and the other five get an e-mail attached copy.

That's a good set of questions to ask of expert readers. I find I have two sets of eyes for my stories: writing partners, and devoted readers. Readers get high level questions like that. From other writers I elicit feedback like: which parts confused you, which bits did you really like, which bits made you not care, which bits didn't you believe. What promises did you feel like I made and then failed to deliver. Did this character "work" for you? Why not?

Readers are critical, but I've found my best feedback comes from other folk who write because they have the vocabulary to tell me more.
WOTF: HM x 4, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:30 am

Brydar wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:

Curious about the 450 number, is this a make or break story number? If I do not grab Mr. Wolverton's interest in 450 words or less is my story doomed? How about a read between 450 and 600?

Brydar,
It's our agreed upon opinion, nothing more.
See this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1074
Thread from Stewart. He conceived the number 450.
It's just under two pages, but the first page starts 1/2 way down. So, 125 words, plus 250. 475 to the bottom of page two or so. But it's a general number to confirm we've covered the basics.

Does your story wander? Does your high fantasy start with a character entering a tavern? Does your character wake up in a strange, white room?

Swapping 450's is a quick and easy way to make sure we avoid the cliche's early on.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:56 am

Dustin Adams wrote:[

Does your story wander? Does your high fantasy start with a character entering a tavern? Does your character wake up in a strange, white room?

Swapping 450's is a quick and easy way to make sure we avoid the cliche's early on.

So, uh, sometime after winning the Baen Fantasy Adventure contest last year, I realized my story started with exactly that cliche up there. At least the protagonist was already in the tavern, drinking.

Might just possibly have been why said story only rated an Honorable Mention over at WotF wotf004
WOTF: HM x 4, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:28 am

Okay. I just checked my latest story at 335 to the bottom of page two.

I try to ensure the end of the first page coincides with a paragraph end as well as starting half way down. 108 words on page one.

Quite a bit of dialogue on page two. 227 words.

These of course are 335 actual words; nominal word count at this stage if you started half way down page one is 375, so you would also get a paragraph on page three to make your 450.

Whenever I read about having lost the judge on the first page I do tend to wonder whether the judge means the first 108 or so actual words, or whether he made it on to physical page 2.

But I find if I start reading a story on Baen's Bar I can sometimes tell I'm not going to like it within a paragraph or two. If I were judging this contest with thousands of entries I reckon I would also have enough experience to know that even if a story picks up radically in later stages a bad starter is not going to do enough to come back and overtake one that doesn't start badly. Unless the writing was of very high quality I would know that a bad starter wasn't even going to make HM and I needn't read on.

No guarantee of course that a good starter won't turn bad, but generally it's important to get the judge past the first couple of pages.

Slow burners (as often written by me) have a bad record here I think.

wotf012
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

aryus

Postby aryus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:32 am

Does V32/3 end June 30th? Just trying to regain my bearings on the contest calendar.

Thanks,
Martin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post courtesy of the other Martin (the non-winning one)

The Book Lover (short short story) http://www.wattpad.com/story/32562695-the-book-lover

V29 Q3: R

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:19 am

Does V32/3 end June 30th? Just trying to regain my bearings on the contest calendar.

Yep, June 30.

Hi all,
I'm new here, but have been entering the contest for three years now. 3HM/7 entries (one pending). I'm in masters classes for communication (massive amounts of scholarly writing), so I have less time for fiction, but just as many ideas. I want to maximize by outlining stories because I write faster when I do. However, last quarter's entry - outlined - turned into a tyrannosaur that wanted to be novella length. At six thousand words I cut the final two thirds of the outline. Fleshed out, the story went to 8 thousand; a bear that, understandably, no one I knew chose to critique. wotf005

Question: If you create detailed outlines, how do you estimate story length from outline?
Thanks,
Kent

p.s. I'm not a bad person. I just do bad things...and then laugh about them. wotf011

Brydar

Postby Brydar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:21 am

Dustin Adams wrote: Brydar,
It's our agreed upon opinion, nothing more.
See this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1074
Thread from Stewart. He conceived the number 450.
It's just under two pages, but the first page starts 1/2 way down. So, 125 words, plus 250. 475 to the bottom of page two or so. But it's a general number to confirm we've covered the basics.

We did a story in a day swap recently and I received great feedback about my failings especially concerning its beginning and ending. My protagonist turned antagonist starts off in the thick of things with too little explanation as to why. In my present rewrite of the fantasy I have very likely overcompensated. So by all that is holy and good I fear I must rewrite again. I feel I also have too much fluff in this story at present. I am altering the story without changing the main idea, this should please my Beta readers. Edited: P.S. Does being drunk and getting thrown out of a tavern count? I have read that in stories many MANY times.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:43 am

Brydar wrote: P.S. Does being drunk and getting thrown out of a tavern count? I have read that in stories many MANY times.

Anything you've read in stories many many times goes into the cliché bucket.
Of course sometimes a good cliché is just what you need for comedic effect.

francisbruno

Postby francisbruno » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:37 am

I have a story that was supposed to be my Q2, then my Q3, now maybe Q4? I have another story that has been brewing for over a year. I have written about half of it. As I wait for news on Q2 I'm plugging away at this one. It'll be done. No more missing a quarter.
Accomplishments:
SF: V32Q2, V28Q4
HM: V29 Q2, V30 Q2
Dave Farland: Short Story Master's Class, World Building
Viable Paradise XVI
Uncle Orson's 2011
"Stalkworthy"
http://www.francisbruno.com

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”