Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:09 am

Today we are one month away from the start of Q4.
Yes, it seems like only yesterday we were receiving results from the previous Q4, getting ready for Halloween...

While some of us are still waiting for results from Q1. (I'm looking at you, Geeky Mary.)

So what say ye? Shall we discuss all four quarters at once? wotf022
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

amoskalik
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby amoskalik » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:42 am

I have my Q4 plotted out. Still have outlining to do for the characters and setting, but I should be able to start on the first draft in a week or two.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby E.CaimanSands » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:23 am

At this rate my Q3 is going to become my Q4. wotf005
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

Imagination Vortex
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Imagination Vortex » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:42 am

E.CaimanSands wrote:At this rate my Q3 is going to become my Q4. wotf005


I'm worried about the same thing!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm nearly done with my first draft.
No, it's my 2nd draft.
Wait, my 3rd.

Stop lying.

My 4th.

But what about that file you found on the hard drive that said "Last save 10/1/11?"

OK. It's my 5th.
What's really gonna be a kick in the teeth is when I get a straight reject. wotf019
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:43 am

You know, quite surprisingly, I just finished my rough draft for Q4 yesterday, and it seems brilliant...which worries me. The most likely explanation to this is that somewhere during my reading of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy I got sucked in to an alternative universe and this is the new Earth...

Hey, don't judge, it could happen wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

amoskalik
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby amoskalik » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:04 am

emilymccosh wrote:You know, quite surprisingly, I just finished my rough draft for Q4 yesterday, and it seems brilliant...which worries me. The most likely explanation to this is that somewhere during my reading of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy I got sucked in to an alternative universe and this is the new Earth...

Hey, don't judge, it could happen wotf019


Hmmm, that would explain a lot actually ...
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:53 am

amoskalik wrote:
emilymccosh wrote:You know, quite surprisingly, I just finished my rough draft for Q4 yesterday, and it seems brilliant...which worries me. The most likely explanation to this is that somewhere during my reading of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy I got sucked in to an alternative universe and this is the new Earth...

Hey, don't judge, it could happen wotf019


Hmmm, that would explain a lot actually ...


wotf025 wotf015 wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:19 pm

Hey, question for anyone who knows...when I went to GALAXY'S EDGE MAGAZINE it said this under submissions:

"Galaxy's Edge does not accept unsolicited manuscripts. Participation is by invitation only. We will not respond to unsolicited submissions."

For a magazine? Really? How do you get invited? wotf042
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

User avatar
Ishmael
Posts: 1648
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Stirlingshire, UK

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Ishmael » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:33 am

emilymccosh wrote:Hey, question for anyone who knows...when I went to GALAXY'S EDGE MAGAZINE it said this under submissions:

"Galaxy's Edge does not accept unsolicited manuscripts. Participation is by invitation only. We will not respond to unsolicited submissions."

For a magazine? Really? How do you get invited? wotf042


By being good enough for the editor to notice. One of the ways is to win WotF. I'm still working on that one.

In fact being invited is only step one; you still have to send them a story good enough to be accepted.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 10 x HM, WotF batting average .565
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby emilymccosh » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:23 pm

Ishmael wrote:
emilymccosh wrote:Hey, question for anyone who knows...when I went to GALAXY'S EDGE MAGAZINE it said this under submissions:

"Galaxy's Edge does not accept unsolicited manuscripts. Participation is by invitation only. We will not respond to unsolicited submissions."

For a magazine? Really? How do you get invited? wotf042


By being good enough for the editor to notice. One of the ways is to win WotF. I'm still working on that one.

In fact being invited is only step one; you still have to send them a story good enough to be accepted.


Thank you! I'll gave to gt to work on that winning part... hehe... wotf037
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

george nik.
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby george nik. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:15 am

emilymccosh wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
emilymccosh wrote:Hey, question for anyone who knows...when I went to GALAXY'S EDGE MAGAZINE it said this under submissions:

"Galaxy's Edge does not accept unsolicited manuscripts. Participation is by invitation only. We will not respond to unsolicited submissions."

For a magazine? Really? How do you get invited? wotf042


By being good enough for the editor to notice. One of the ways is to win WotF. I'm still working on that one.

In fact being invited is only step one; you still have to send them a story good enough to be accepted.


Thank you! I'll gave to gt to work on that winning part... hehe... wotf037


You don't actually have to win WOTF to be invited. You could PM Mike Resnick and ask him for an invitation. Of course, as Ishmael said, an invitation is by no means a guarantee for acceptance.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 42 stories sold, 28 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby emilymccosh » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Ishmael wrote:
emilymccosh wrote:


You don't actually have to win WOTF to be invited. You could PM Mike Resnick and ask him for an invitation. Of course, as Ishmael said, an invitation is by no means a guarantee for acceptance.



Cool, thanks!
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

LDWriter2
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:42 pm

george nik. wrote:You don't actually have to win WOTF to be invited. You could PM Mike Resnick and ask him for an invitation. Of course, as Ishmael said, an invitation is by no means a guarantee for acceptance.



I didn't know that either.

Does he always send an invite in that case?

Can we PM and ask for someone else?
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:52 pm

Well, time to start thinking on Q4



Hmmm, redo another story from scratch? I have two I want to do that with.

Another twist on mythical creatures? I could come up with a couple.

Finish one story Dean Wesley Smith told be to finish? After I did the opening for one of his online workshops.

One with an extreme problem I am not sure I have ever done--not for awhile anyway. Of course that this might fit with that third idea. Won't say which genre but something did pop into my mind just as I typed that out--not having to do with that third idea but with plenty of emotions, effort and angst.
Came back to say that a very short story I wrote the other day has a type of character I may use for Q4 with that last idea.

Finally do that story about purple, sparkly midget flying unicorns who are more pranksters than really evil?


Hmmm!!!


And I add now that for the moment I have narrowed my choice to two ideas-I think I know which one-but that isn't in stone yet. Still have time to change my mind and my emotions on this.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

george nik.
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby george nik. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:03 am

LDWriter2 wrote:
george nik. wrote:You don't actually have to win WOTF to be invited. You could PM Mike Resnick and ask him for an invitation. Of course, as Ishmael said, an invitation is by no means a guarantee for acceptance.



I didn't know that either.

Does he always send an invite in that case?

Can we PM and ask for someone else?

I've no idea if he invites everyone that asks. He invited me, but maybe it's because I'd already got a Semi-Finalist. But surely it can't hurt to ask.
George Nikolopoulos
WOTF: 1 SF, 1 SHM, 4 HM
Fiction (EN): 42 stories sold, 28 published
Fiction (GR): c.10 stories published & a children’s novel
Amazon Page

User avatar
storysinger
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby storysinger » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:08 am

I have made a promise to myself to enter before the last day this quarter.
I have been so busy lately I didn't get the story I wanted to sub finished in time for the 3rd quarter so I should have it ready with time to spare.
Unless something else decides to escape from my imagination wotf002 .
I sent the first chapter of a novel that is almost complete. It actually started as a short story but kept growing, so it still reads as a short story.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Brydar
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 am
Location: Georgia

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Brydar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:51 pm

E.CaimanSands wrote:At this rate my Q3 is going to become my Q4. wotf005


Exactly! I had a story I felt was very close to ready for Q3 and then my mother took ill. Now it is going to be my Q4 entry. I suppose the silver lining is I had a story which breaks a few of Mr. Wolverton's personal rules and my sister urged me on so I submitted the so called rule breaker for Q3. The original Q3 I have needs some tidying up and it will be my very early Q4 entry. I hope to have it in by either Monday or Tuesday of next week, after this 4th of July weekend. Good luck to all.
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

User avatar
Martin L. Shoemaker
Posts: 4233
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Michigan (more or less)
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:06 pm

george nik. wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:I didn't know that either.

Does he always send an invite in that case?

Can we PM and ask for someone else?

I've no idea if he invites everyone that asks. He invited me, but maybe it's because I'd already got a Semi-Finalist. But surely it can't hurt to ask.


He invited me the first time after I had already been a Finalist twice. (The second time, he read my story in a workshop, and said he wanted to by it. I said it was submitted to Asimov's. He said, "Okay, after Sheila rejects it, I want to buy it." She did, and he did.)

Mike has long been a supporter of new authors. Now that he's a judge for WotF, it's a way for him to find new authors, but it's not his only way.

On the other hand... He's a very busy writer in his own right, he's a busy judge, he's a busy editor, and he has family and medical issues to deal with. Much as he wants to support new writers in Galaxy's Edge, he has neither time nor energy to read unsolicited slush. He wants some way to distinguish potential from slush. Winning or placing well in this contest lets him know that some other editor whom he respects thought your stuff was good. Sales to other prestigious markets can do the same thing.

I don't know what would happen if you contacted him with no pro sales and no contest wins to speak of. I wouldn't have the chutzpah, myself.
Martin L. Shoemaker
F:1V28,1V29
SF:4V28
HM:2/3V28,2/3/4V29,1/2/3V30
3rd:1V31

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

LDWriter2
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:51 am

Well George sounded like he might know from personal experience-his or someone he knows-about asking Mike for an invite.

But I would assume than I would be out. Even though I got an HM in a previous contest but that was so long ago it's forgotten history by some.



Anyway, I was thinking of asking him to invite Dr Bob to send a story or two. He has a Finalist or does that include a SF too? Seems like he got something else along with that Finalist. Mike may have already done that though.



Oh FYI Dr. Bob has a most excellent tale in Gigosours-or what ever the name of that magazine is.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:27 pm

"I don't know what would happen if you contacted him with no pro sales and no contest wins to speak of. I wouldn't have the chutzpah, myself."

I feel like I want to ask him and I haven't even had any professional sales yet. I only have one good story written right now and I'm going to enter it in WofF....all the rest I've fallen out of love with.......but it doesn't sound that scary to ask him...for me at least.....maybe I'm just a lot more blonde than I thought.......

Hmmm, that would explain a lot actually..... wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

dr-phil
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: West Michigan USA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby dr-phil » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:19 pm

GigaNotoSaurus.

Nice market. Willing to publish long stories. Sold one there in 2012. http://giganotosaurus.org/2012/04/01/end-run/

Dr. Phil
Dr. Philip Edward Kaldon
Published Finalist WOTF 2008
"A Man in the Moon"

West Michigan, USA

User avatar
E.CaimanSands
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby E.CaimanSands » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:13 pm

dr-phil wrote:GigaNotoSaurus.

Nice market. Willing to publish long stories. Sold one there in 2012. http://giganotosaurus.org/2012/04/01/end-run/

Dr. Phil


Hmm, yes, I'm currently at 86 days there. wotf005 All the stories I've sent them have been like that, the last one I actually had to chase. Looks like I might have to chase this one too.
SF x 1 (Extreeemely happy snappy gator)
HM x 9 (Happy snappy gator)

"Europa Spring" - buy from Amazon

The Happy Snappy Gator Bog! Er, Blog...

LDWriter2
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Hmm, I hate to do this now since I have't really written all day Just a tiny bit to finish a story but later realized I forgot something. Or two things. Anyway, all this talk of GigaNotoSaurus reminds me I need send out a few stories and maybe I should try them. I don't believe I have ever sent them something but there are stories I have that I could send them.

That includes three WotFs rejects.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

User avatar
storysinger
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby storysinger » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:35 am

I've finished a lot of distracting unavoidable projects and can get back to serious writing now.
I'm working on two very different stories that are growing nicely.
One may be a little too current with world events so it will most likely be a novel when it finishes growing.
The other seems to be destined to be my next WotF entry.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Brydar
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 am
Location: Georgia

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Brydar » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Well my friends my entry for Q4 is in. Again this story is not the original one I had planned to submit, this is one that erupted out of a late night four cup coffee binge. This newest short story does follow all the rules per se. Carpe Diem!
Entered V32/Q2, Q3, Q4
Not long ago scientists postulated that our entire universe was quite possibly a hologram. I KNEW it; we ARE in the Matrix!

alpha
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby alpha » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:50 pm

I've got one written that I'm really proud of. Also just started one that is going to be some pretty weird, experimental stuff as far as form goes. I'll have to see what sort of weird beast this one turns into before I decide which one to enter. Not such an important decision; I can always just enter the other one next quarter. Except that I'm probably going to win this quarter.

Oh wait. It's a non-issue because I'm probably going to win Q3.

Well, yes, I've gotten nothing but Rs since that HM I got like a year ago, but that's neither here nor there. I'm ready to win this sucker.

Oh hell, just send me my Rs now so I can send these stories on to the next market.

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Brydar wrote:Well my friends my entry for Q4 is in. Again this story is not the original one I had planned to submit, this is one that erupted out of a late night four cup coffee binge. This newest short story does follow all the rules per se. Carpe Diem!


Nice!

Need Stephanie to start a new list. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Imagination Vortex
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Imagination Vortex » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:
Brydar wrote:Well my friends my entry for Q4 is in. Again this story is not the original one I had planned to submit, this is one that erupted out of a late night four cup coffee binge. This newest short story does follow all the rules per se. Carpe Diem!


Nice!

Need Stephanie to start a new list. wotf011


Whoa...a Q4 list already!? I haven't even released my Q3 list yet, and Q2 doesn't even feel like it's close to being over!

But you know me I can't pass up the opportunity to start a new one. wotf008
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

austinDm
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby austinDm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:23 pm

I haven't subbed my Q4 yet, but I have a couple of stories that should be finishing up in the next month or so. I'm sure one of them will find its way here.


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KD Julicher and 2 guests