Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:12 am

Posting the top spot so everyone can luxuriate in seeing my avatar constantly. wotf019
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:23 am

amoskalik wrote:So we went from Thee/thou, Ye/you to just you because plural/single, subject/object were no longer necessary to distinguish. The same holds true for the Quakers except they settled on "thee" for the reasons described above.

I am now nostalgic for the good old days. Should anyone prefer to be addressed as thee, I should be only too happy to oblige. Sadly I fear it was an affectation on my part and hence the reverse of what George intended. On the other hand it was well meant.
wotf008
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:35 am

I got a couple emails from Joni last night, so I thought there might be some news this morning about Q4 finalists. All seems quiet, though. wotf043
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:58 am

It is, however, Thursday. Perhaps we will learn something today. wotf060
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:00 am

Ishmael wrote:
amoskalik wrote:So we went from Thee/thou, Ye/you to just you because plural/single, subject/object were no longer necessary to distinguish. The same holds true for the Quakers except they settled on "thee" for the reasons described above.

I am now nostalgic for the good old days. Should anyone prefer to be addressed as thee, I should be only too happy to oblige. Sadly I fear it was an affectation on my part and hence the reverse of what George intended. On the other hand it was well meant.
wotf008

In one article they said that some contemporary Quakers still use "thee" but do so more as a dialect than as part of plain speech. As such it is used when addressing someone familiarly, whereas they use "you" in more formal situations. I hope George can appreciate the irony.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:26 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:You know I completely forgot I never heard anything on my illustrator submission. And last night I had a dream that Joni sent me an email and there was some kind of mix up - she knew someone won but was missing a lot of the information. She realized I had never been contacted so she suspected I was the missing finalist. So she wanted to know my name and if I submitted between December 12 and December 30 (which makes no sense since the quarter ended in September! I guess instead of getting a call from her I was supposed to get a call from the judge letting me know the good news. Eventually it is revealed that I am the winner which left me in shock (can't really explain why yet but lets just say I was in shock because in real life I fully expect an R...or no response at all).

wotf019 Dreams man I tell you...

My wife is also waiting on a Q4 illustrator response. Given that the contest hasn't even posted about the Q3 illustrator winners yet, even though Q3 writer winners were posted in October... she is not exactly holding her breath.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:34 am

How awesome would it be for her to win, though, Stewart, and attend the workshop at the same time as you! I love running into other creative couples and hearing their dynamics.
V32 Published Finalist

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Or better yet...what if she won and they picked her to illustrate your story Stewart!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Imagination Vortex wrote:Or better yet...what if she won and they picked her to illustrate your story Stewart!

wotf019

I don't think they would, though. From what I've heard they like to make a big deal about the illustration reveals during the workshop. Wouldn't be much of a surprise for me if I'd seen her working on it every day for a month. wotf019
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:53 pm

So for those of us no longer waiting?

Anyone else ask for the HM web image?

I had almost forgotten that and the request for the certificate data but Joni just responded a couple of days ago.

Now if I can find the previous certificate I have. Only one if I recall correctly I don't remember being asked about it the first couple of HMS I received.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:53 am

Hi LDWriter2,
I didn't receive certificate info from Joni with my first HM several years ago. However, when I inquired over a year later, she sent me one. I needed to provide her with Quarter, Volume and Title so she could confirm the HM.

The electronic HM badge is interesting. I have a troll on my left shoulder who tells me that it's proof that I'm a loser. A sneakier troll on my right shoulder tells me it's a big deal and I should include it with all of my correspondence. Anyway, the first I heard of the e-badge was Q1,V32.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:41 am

kentagions wrote:Hi LDWriter2,
The electronic HM badge is interesting. I have a troll on my left shoulder who tells me that it's proof that I'm a loser. A sneakier troll on my right shoulder tells me it's a big deal and I should include it with all of my correspondence. Anyway, the first I heard of the e-badge was Q1,V32.

When they offered badges to all entrants that was a step too far, I think. I didn't really want to publicise not being able to oblige Dave to read to the end of my story. However HM and SHM badges are different. They say something more positive.

Also Kary has repeatedly reminded us that there is no attempt to arrange by strict order of merit and that an HM could have been a semi-finalist had it not had the misfortune to find itself in an over-subscribed sub-genre.

The task, remember, is not only to write a high-class story but to predict correctly the sub-genres that will be under-subscribed.

Or of course you could just follow Napoleon's advice when choosing generals. Is he lucky?

wotf011
Last edited by Ishmael on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:40 am

December 21st. Less than two weeks left in the year and still in limbo wotf005
V32 Published Finalist

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:57 am

kentagions wrote:The electronic HM badge is interesting. I have a troll on my left shoulder who tells me that it's proof that I'm a loser. A sneakier troll on my right shoulder tells me it's a big deal and I should include it with all of my correspondence.

With the greatest of respect: nonsense and waffle! An Honourable Mention is an achievement and you should absolutely be proud of it. I always was.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Ishmael & Matt,
Thank you for your kind words. I stand corrected. You are both right. In light of your comments, mine appear to denigrate the achievement of Honorable Mention.

No offense was meant. I would never fail to sincerely congratulate anyone who has achieved an HM. I should, therefore, allow myself to climb up to the same pedestal with these esteemed peers.

Kent

dstein

Postby dstein » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Is this the latest that word about the finalists has ever been sent? I'm starting to wonder if I had my rejection lost in the mail or something.
V32Q3: HM
V32Q4: R
V33Q1: First-Place Finalist

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:48 pm

dstein wrote:Is this the latest that word about the finalists has ever been sent? I'm starting to wonder if I had my rejection lost in the mail or something.

I am certain that some Finalists have been notified. It's always possible that they're still having trouble reaching one of them. But it's also possible that they have asked the Finalists to remain mum until the winners are announced. The procedure seems to change every quarter.
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:58 am

dstein wrote:Is this the latest that word about the finalists has ever been sent? I'm starting to wonder if I had my rejection lost in the mail or something.

You might send Joni an email asking her about your status. If your story and/or placement did get lost, she could tell you. Seems like every quarter there's someone whose story somehow vanished from the system.
V32 Published Finalist

dstein

Postby dstein » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:43 am

KD Julicher wrote:

You might send Joni an email asking her about your status. If your story and/or placement did get lost, she could tell you. Seems like every quarter there's someone whose story somehow vanished from the system.

Yeah, I just did. Guess I'll see.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:06 pm

wotf002
Last edited by Dustin Adams on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:01 pm

dstein wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:You might send Joni an email asking her about your status. If your story and/or placement did get lost, she could tell you. Seems like every quarter there's someone whose story somehow vanished from the system.

Yeah, I just did. Guess I'll see.

Good luck! wotf007

dstein

Postby dstein » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:47 am

And today I get the mass e-mail asking if I'd like an electronic badge as an "entrant" to Q4 (which I assume is offered to everybody anyway), but still no acknowledgement of my actual submission status. More than a little frustrating—I replied to the e-mail asking again and I guess I'll probably get a response after the holidays.

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 am

dstein wrote:
And today I get the mass e-mail asking if I'd like an electronic badge as an "entrant" to Q4, but still no acknowledgement of my actual submission status.

I did the same and got the same. I hope the boat we're on isn't a pirate ship. wotf011
Kent

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:29 am

I've never been asked if I wanted an electronic badge for participating. How strange...I get all the other mass emails they send.

Oh, well, doesn't matter. Just curious. wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:23 am

Two Finalists (including one who's being coy around here) have just announced on a private Facebook group. Since it's private, I won't share here, but...

The stories I could tell you...
The stories I could tell you...

wotf013
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

juliecfrost

Postby juliecfrost » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:28 am

Just got the go-ahead from Joni to announce:

wotf058 wotf003

With this story. Which I second- and third- and fourth-guessed myself about before shrugging and pushing the Submit button. To be fair, I did rewrite the thing with Dave's sensibilities in mind, and I'm fair certain that had I sent it in, in its original form, it would not have placed at all.

But I fully expected a form R for this one, you guys. I am gobsmacked.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:34 am

juliecfrost wrote:Just got the go-ahead from Joni to announce:

wotf058 wotf003

With this story. Which I second- and third- and fourth-guessed myself about before shrugging and pushing the Submit button. To be fair, I did rewrite the thing with Dave's sensibilities in mind, and I'm fair certain that had I sent it in, in its original form, it would not have placed at all.

But I fully expected a form R for this one, you guys. I am gobsmacked.

Congrats Julie, how exciting! wotf049
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:51 am

wotf058

Guess the cat is out of the bag now! I am super excited about this, my third finalist story. Woo-hoo, and good luck Julie and the others!
V32 Published Finalist

preston

Postby preston » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:38 am

Congratulations Julie and KD. This is awesome news! Best of luck!
wotf010 wotf010

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Woohoo!

Looking forward to additional finalist decloakings!

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”