Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
bobsandiego

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby bobsandiego » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:05 pm

gower21 wrote:ALSO

CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS!! You guys rock.

And to those who have gotten bad news take a look at Julie who has the right attitude. Don't wait for WOTF to start your writing career. There are a lot of entrants who didn't win that went on to have fabulous careers, some way better than the winners themselves.

When I was entering, Annie Ballet was also entering and she was so close every single time. She now makes six figures writing. Um. Be a Ballet. Grab your career and make it happen. Enter while you can, but don't think a rejection will in any way slow you down.

second this emotion:
there will never be a time in your writing career when you are not getting rejected. By editors, by awards, by critics, by readers. Keep writing keep submitting so no one rejection is all important.
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:30 pm

MattDovey wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:So I'm assuming that it was you, not Stewart, that named a certain story that opened with a horde of undead weasels?

Ha! Yes, that was my idea initially. Though in my defence, I later offered a board of ten titles (most of which were shorter) and Stewart's considered opinion was still for "How I Became Coruscating Queen of All the Realms, Pierced the Obsidian Night, Destroyed a Legendary Sword, and Saved My Heart's True Love".

We're hoping it telegraphs the nature of the story ;)

In Matt's (further) defens/ce, I have actually written (and published!) stories with titles like "Selections from the Aarne-Thompson Index for After the End of Things," "Concerning Your Recent Creation of Sentient Horse-things on the Next Planet Over," and "Excerpt from the Diagnostic and Necromantic Manual, 5th Edition Regarding the Departed."

Long titles. I likes em.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:34 pm

bobsandiego wrote:
gower21 wrote:ALSO

CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS!! You guys rock.

And to those who have gotten bad news take a look at Julie who has the right attitude. Don't wait for WOTF to start your writing career. There are a lot of entrants who didn't win that went on to have fabulous careers, some way better than the winners themselves.

When I was entering, Annie Ballet was also entering and she was so close every single time. She now makes six figures writing. Um. Be a Ballet. Grab your career and make it happen. Enter while you can, but don't think a rejection will in any way slow you down.

second this emotion:
there will never be a time in your writing career when you are not getting rejected. By editors, by awards, by critics, by readers. Keep writing keep submitting so no one rejection is all important.

Yes, yes, yes. All this cannot be emphasized enough.

When I first started entering, I would avoid submitting anywhere else in case I disqualified myself. Although I guess that has worked out for me okay, I feel like it was kind of a mistake and that if I'd been submitting elsewhere regularly I probably would have achieved greater success as an author earlier on.

Cast a wide net! For every two dozen editors that reject a story, remember there's always the next one. And the one after that. And... So on.

Dune, for instance, was rejected more than twenty times before it sold. Harry Potter 12 times.

This doesn't mean every rejected story or novel is a Dune or a Harry Potter. But statistically at least a few of them will be!
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 am

s_c_baker wrote:When I first started entering, I would avoid submitting anywhere else in case I disqualified myself.

I am glad the WotF Vortex didn't just happen to me.

In hindsight, it was massively arrogant to presume I had any chance of getting 4 stories published in pro markets (where I'm competing against all the, y'know, pros) before I'd place in WotF (where the field is narrowed massively), as evidenced by the complete lack of sales since I've started sending everything out properly.

But the WotF prize package held an enormous sway in my mind; mostly the workshop, because they're (a) expensive otherwise (b) not a thing in Britain, AFAIK.

Of course, the only answer WotF can offer to this is "make the prizes less awesome", which I don't want them to do!

Whilst it could be annoying if you invalidated yourself by selling 4 silly little flash things, not your awesomely plotted and detailed Big Stories, you should be sending out stories. WotF isn't the be all and end all--it has specific market tastes that may not match your style, but Clarkesworld or Shimmer might be perfect for the story that got a flat R here. And new as I am to all this "actually a writer with a sale" thing, my feeling is that publication in one of the big markets is just as big a result for your visibility and reputation amongst peers as WotF is. I feel like I'm playing catch up with the community aspect of writing now because I'd shut myself away and pinned everything on WotF, when perhaps I could have put myself more out there early on and still have had the chance I've got now.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:59 am

Results are up. Go Ctrl-F your names and bask in the glow wotf007
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:14 am

Thanks for the link, Matt.
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/write ... h-quarter/

HMs are missing, but the previous two Q4s didn't have a list at all. Just winners, so this is an upgrade. Yay!

By the way, have folks received any certificates lately? I didn't get mine from Q3...
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:30 am

Dustin Adams wrote:By the way, have folks received any certificates lately? I didn't get mine from Q3...

I'm still waiting on mine.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:32 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Thanks for the link, Matt.

HMs are missing, but the previous two Q4s didn't have a list at all. Just winners, so this is an upgrade. Yay!

By the way, have folks received any certificates lately? I didn't get mine from Q3...

Wow, there's a lot of Washington, Utah, Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Colorado on the list. Is there something in the water out West?
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:10 am

amoskalik wrote:Wow, there's a lot of Washington, Utah, Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Colorado on the list. Is there something in the water out West?

Yes, yes there is. You should move out here if you want to be a real writer.

Mostly joking. My Q2 finalist was written while I lived out east but heavily inspired by my sotuhwestern vacation the year before, and I only became a finalist after moving to NV. Now that I finally am surrounded by mountains I expect to be a finalist all the darn time, right?
WOTF: HM x 4, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

rharp

Postby rharp » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:25 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Thanks for the link, Matt.

I haven't received mine either. Joni said in one of the Q4 emails that she was still working on them and would send them out soon.

One of the other things that was different in the Q4 email telling me I was SHM was that Joni asked us to email her if we wanted to be included on the blog list announcement. If you didn't notify her, you would not be listed. So, there may be who knows how many people that either didn't catch that part of the email or didn't want to be listed for whatever reason. I didn't catch the change at first b/c the email looked like all the others, but on rereading it caught it.
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:48 am

MattDovey wrote:
s_c_baker wrote:When I first started entering, I would avoid submitting anywhere else in case I disqualified myself.

I am glad the WotF Vortex didn't just happen to me.
[...]
Whilst it could be annoying if you invalidated yourself by selling 4 silly little flash things, not your awesomely plotted and detailed Big Stories, you should be sending out stories. WotF isn't the be all and end all--it has specific market tastes that may not match your style, but Clarkesworld or Shimmer might be perfect for the story that got a flat R here. And new as I am to all this "actually a writer with a sale" thing, my feeling is that publication in one of the big markets is just as big a result for your visibility and reputation amongst peers as WotF is. I feel like I'm playing catch up with the community aspect of writing now because I'd shut myself away and pinned everything on WotF, when perhaps I could have put myself more out there early on and still have had the chance I've got now.

This is all awesome advice. I don't disagree with any of it and people should listen.

However, (and there's always a however): my late 2014/2015 writing career got really stagnant not because of WOTF but because I let some minor WOTF success make me get this craving for an acceptance elsewhere. I wrote short stories and spent a lot of mental time and energy trying to get them submitted places, and never managed more than a form R. I spent some time navel-gazing before deciding that I am primarily a novel writer, not a short-story-ist. WOTF's more generous length requirements seems to let me do well, and also I think WOTF's tastes are more in line with my fiction than, say, Shimmer or Clarkesworld. (Both excellent markets and getting a sale to either would be awesome, just probably not my forte)

So if you're not primarily a short story writer, don't feel like you have to force yourself to be in order to get sales for your career. Write your novels. I'm finally getting back to novel querying after almost 2 years away from that and I think it was a mistake.
V32 Published Finalist

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:37 am

KD Julicher wrote: Now that I finally am surrounded by mountains I expect to be a finalist all the darn time, right?

Don't see why not wotf007

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:04 am

Very good point, KD! I'm a short story writer almost exclusively; novels are definitely a different game.

What it comes down to for me is remembering that the contest is not the only way to become a successful writer. Plenty of successful writers haven't won, or even entered.

Still, the contest was always a big motivator for me. And I doubt I would have polished my craft as much without it.

Whilst it could be annoying if you invalidated yourself by selling 4 silly little flash things, not your awesomely plotted and detailed Big Stories, you should be sending out stories

I would note that the contest in my understanding (based on emails with Joni reproduced elsewhere on the forum) does not consider flash fiction to count as a disqualifying sale.

Sharon

Postby Sharon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:51 am

Congratualations to all the winners!! wotf010

Now get back to writing! wotf011
Writing as Sharon Joss [www.sharonjoss.com]
R: 3
HM: V30/Q3, V31/Q2
1st: V31/Q4, Golden Pen Award Winner

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 am

Dustin Adams wrote:HMs are missing, but the previous two Q4s didn't have a list at all. Just winners, so this is an upgrade. Yay!

Joni has assured me that the list of HMs will be posted to the blog. She said:

The list was so big this quarter we could not do it all in one go.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

gower21

Postby gower21 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:00 pm

In my post above where I cheerlead those rejected, I mis-attributed the person as "Julie" I meant KD. For some reason your last name makes me want to call you Julie...er sorry :(

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:17 pm

Congrats to all the winners! We can't wait to watch you all at the gala in March! wotf049
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:19 pm

gower21 wrote:In my post above where I cheerlead those rejected, I mis-attributed the person as "Julie" I meant KD. For some reason your last name makes me want to call you Julie...er sorry :(

That's ok, I get that in work emails about twice a year. (And since there I go by "Kate" I'd think it's harder to miss which part is my name...)

Plus we had a Julie finalist/winner this quarter so I can see the confusion wotf001
V32 Published Finalist

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 am

Congratulations and commiserations as appropriate. I feel like I should say something poetic, but nothing comes to mind at 3am.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:33 am

Honorable mentions have been posted:

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/4th-q ... -mentions/

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:21 am

Quite a few familiar names in there!

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:58 am

DoctorJest wrote:
OldDarth wrote:My submission for this quarter did not come together yet so I ended up missing out entering this time.

This is me often. I don't mind, though -- I'd rather submit less often, but be confident that the story I'm submitting is up to a standard I'm happy with, than rush the stories out.

One thing I struggled with towards the end of last year was an insane work schedule -- I stopped just about everything that wasn't work, and still barely managed to meet my deadlines before breaking for Christmas. Fortunately, it's rarely as insane as that, but it really put the final nail in the coffin of my trying to sub for the upcoming Q1.

Our situations and work ethics sound like carbon copies.

Good news is submission for this quarter has gone 2nd draft and is now out to my beta readers. Barring anything unforeseen, this one will be good to go very soon.

And wotf009 wotf009 wotf009 wotf009 wotf009 to the quarter winners!
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:57 am

For those interested in such things, this recent article states that there were over 8,000 entries in V32Q4:

http://myedmondsnews.com/2016/02/edmond ... g-contest/

Stephen Merlino’s short story, “Outside the Game,” was one of three chosen from over 8,000 submissions in the 4th quarter of the contest.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:09 pm

I believe that's for the year, not for the quarter.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:I believe that's for the year, not for the quarter.

Although the article definitely says it's for the quarter, I think you are probably right.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Randy Hulshizer wrote:
Dustin Adams wrote:I believe that's for the year, not for the quarter.

Although the article definitely says it's for the quarter, I think you are probably right.

Considering it says they had the most entries of any quarter to date, I could see it going either way.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, ?

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 am

Just saw this on the Grinder:
316 day Acceptance from Writers of the Future Contest on February 8 (Congratulations K. D. Julicher!)
wotf015
Congrats!

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:59 am

She's the PF!
I'm sure she'll stop by and tell us all about it. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 am

amoskalik wrote:Just saw this on the Grinder:
316 day Acceptance from Writers of the Future Contest on February 8 (Congratulations K. D. Julicher!)
wotf015
Congrats!

Oh, yeah, kind of forgot I hadn't told you guys! It's been a crazy week but last Monday I was notified that my V32 Q2 finalist would be the published finalist this year. Joni asked me not to say anything until they'd notified everyone else, and then I was off at SuperStars this weekend and just got back from that so.... yeah! After a very long wait, my story is going to be published, and I get to go to the party!
V32 Published Finalist

LawrenceVanHoof

Postby LawrenceVanHoof » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:30 am

Saw it on grinder too. Congratulations.
Oops, where did that idea go? I had it a minute ago....

http://www.lawrencevanhoof.com

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”