Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
KD Julicher

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 32

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:13 am

Results are in! I did not win.

On to next quarter!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

preston

Postby preston » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:57 am

KD Julicher wrote:Results are in! I did not win.

On to next quarter!

Darn! You'll get 'em next time!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:05 am

Commiserations KD.
Congrats Julie! (I think. I see an acceptance on the Grinder...)
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:38 am

Two winners have decloaked in another (private access) writing group I'm part of, but I don't think they're part of this forum. (Unless they are?)

Here's hoping we'll see the results soon!

I am very disappointed that KD didn't win. Keeping my fingers crossed for the published finalist announcements (if they make those things? I don't know). Although I know so many of the finalists that I feel like any finger crossing I can do for anybody will be counter-productive.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 am

s_c_baker wrote: Keeping my fingers crossed for the published finalist announcements (if they make those things? I don't know).

Last year I found out it wasn't me when WotF posted the lineup on PRWeb.
Then again, Zach found out a different way. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:35 am

Congrats Jon Lasser and Julie Frost! (As posted on the Grinder) wotf010
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

juliecfrost

Postby juliecfrost » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:39 am

wotf059

I got the call last night at Eric James Stone's "Unforgettable" book launch party. Unforgettable, indeed!

I am laughing so hard, you guys. I cannot believe I won the Contest with this story. It opens in the morgue. It stars a (probably--he never gets a formal diagnosis, but, well, I think it's pretty obvious) clinically depressed werewolf who goes on a quite purposeful murder spree. Dave famously "hates" werewolf fiction.

I, uh, guess he liked this one.

This was my 29th entry.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER SURRENDER.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:17 pm

juliecfrost wrote:
This was my 29th entry.

29! Well deserved for quality I'm sure, but even more so for perseverance. Congrats again!

Just wondering, winners in the past have been extremely cagey about the content of their stories until the anthology is published. Are you allowed to disclose the nature of your story or were those others being purposely opaque for their own quirky reasons?
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

juliecfrost

Postby juliecfrost » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 pm

amoskalik wrote:
juliecfrost wrote:
This was my 29th entry.

29! Well deserved for quality I'm sure, but even more so for perseverance. Congrats again!

Just wondering, winners in the past have been extremely cagey about the content of their stories until the anthology is published. Are you allowed to disclose the nature of your story or were those others being purposely opaque for their own quirky reasons?

I think the first place winners have to be cagey because they still haven't awarded the Gold Prize. But I figure everyone's going to know it's mine anyway, because I am That Werewolf Writer, after all. And mine was a third place. wotf017

...no one told me to be cagey?

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 pm

juliecfrost wrote:wotf059

I got the call last night at Eric James Stone's "Unforgettable" book launch party. Unforgettable, indeed!

I am laughing so hard, you guys. I cannot believe I won the Contest with this story. It opens in the morgue. It stars a (probably--he never gets a formal diagnosis, but, well, I think it's pretty obvious) clinically depressed werewolf who goes on a quite purposeful murder spree. Dave famously "hates" werewolf fiction.

This was my 29th entry.

Oh man, congrats Julie! A werewolf story, wow! wotf026

Isn't this the story you thought would get a straight rejetion???
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 pm

amoskalik wrote:Just wondering, winners in the past have been extremely cagey about the content of their stories until the anthology is published. Are you allowed to disclose the nature of your story or were those others being purposely opaque for their own quirky reasons?

As Julie says, we have to be cagey, because the 1st place stories are still being judged blind for the Golden Pen award. 2nd and 3rd place winners can talk about their stories all they like, but if a 1st place winner lets slip, it might compromise the anonymity for the annual prize judges and disqualify them.

Not that "I wasn't told not to be cagey" means anything--I only knew to ask Joni if I should keep quiet because I'd seen something to that effect mentioned a few days before in an article about Stewart, and Jon only knew today when I mentioned he probably shouldn't be sharing his winning title on Twitter.

Thankfully, judging is complete already by the time the workshop week rolls around, so we don't have to keep our secrets once we're all hanging out talking about stories. That would have been impossible.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

LawrenceVanHoof

Postby LawrenceVanHoof » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:45 pm

29? Wow. Congratulations, Julie.
Oops, where did that idea go? I had it a minute ago....

http://www.lawrencevanhoof.com

juliecfrost

Postby juliecfrost » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:44 pm

emilymccosh wrote:

This was my 29th entry.

Yes. Yes it is.

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Bad luck, KD, but yay, grats, Julie!
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 pm

juliecfrost wrote:
emilymccosh wrote:

This was my 29th entry.

Yes. Yes it is.

WOW
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:05 pm

A big wet congratulations from soggy San Diego to all the winners.

Yes, perseverance pays.

wotf009
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:18 pm

Wooohoooooo, Julie! wotf004

Thankfully, judging is complete already by the time the workshop week rolls around, so we don't have to keep our secrets once we're all hanging out talking about stories. That would have been impossible.

In fact, I'm lead to understand they put our story titles on our name badges.
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner

scott.parkin

Postby scott.parkin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:18 pm

s_c_baker wrote:In fact, I'm lead to understand they put our story titles on our name badges.

They did for v31. But yes, by workshop week all judging is complete and selections made, so everyone can chatter without reservation. It was kind of fun as a third prize winner to watch the firsties be all paranoid.

I had read one of the first prizewinners before it won, but was threatened with painful death if I let any details slip. I had to wait for press check (got a copy of the book that was still literally *hot* off the press---straight off the conveyor from binding and trimming) to read the others. The amount of giggling on the bus back from the press as folks read Dan Davis' "The God Whisperer" for the first time was an absolute treat.
Five-time Finalist | One-time prizewinner (Q2.31)

preston

Postby preston » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:23 pm

This was my 29th entry.

Yay, Julie! Way to go!

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:07 am

Congrats Julie. wotf010 That was a long time to persevere.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:12 am

29 stories is also a tribute to the continuation of Learning Your Craft.
I don't have 29 stories total. (Unless you count flash stories)
Julie has submitted, i.e. written, edited, polished, mailed/transmitted -- 29 completed stories.

That's just... lots of practice.
And you know what they say about practice. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Galen

Postby Galen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:00 am

Wow - A story with its own backstory. Many reasons to look forward to reading it. But especially knowing that it was a submission 29.

Congratulations!
HM x2
SHM x1

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:04 am

Submission 29? 29? What is it about this number around these parts? wotf011

Well done Julie, commiserations KD and look at the standard of grammar you need to be a winner!
s_c_baker wrote:In fact, I'm lead to understand they put our story titles on our name badges.

I bet that idea went over like a led balloon. wotf019
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 am

That's one of those words I can never spell! wotf001

(Like recommend, which I always put two "c"s in, and harassment, which I always put two "r"s in...)

ETA: Steel yourself for more bad puns, though. You know how those things go around here... wotf011

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:54 am

I am chagrined that I have won with the shortest title I've ever entered with now. My two HMs were "(Perhaps the Answer is) That We Question at All" and then "Of All The Worlds I've Walked In (This One with You is my Favourite)", and an earlier entry had "The Rutted Paths Our Minds Must Take".

I, er, can't say much more than that about the current, but they won't need to produce an extra badge for the title to fit onto, disappointingly.

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:58 am

MattDovey wrote:

I am chagrined that I have won with the shortest title I've ever entered with now. My two HMs were "(Perhaps the Answer is) That We Question at All" and then "Of All The Worlds I've Walked In (This One with You is my Favourite)", and an earlier entry had "The Rutted Paths Our Minds Must Take".

I, er, can't say much more than that about the current, but they won't need to produce an extra badge for the title to fit onto, disappointingly.

So I'm assuming that it was you, not Stewart, that named a certain story that opened with a horde of undead weasels?
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:50 pm

KD Julicher wrote:So I'm assuming that it was you, not Stewart, that named a certain story that opened with a horde of undead weasels?

Ha! Yes, that was my idea initially. Though in my defence, I later offered a board of ten titles (most of which were shorter) and Stewart's considered opinion was still for "How I Became Coruscating Queen of All the Realms, Pierced the Obsidian Night, Destroyed a Legendary Sword, and Saved My Heart's True Love".

We're hoping it telegraphs the nature of the story ;)

juliecfrost

Postby juliecfrost » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:19 pm

wotf001 I wonder if I can get them to put "That Werewolf Writer" on my badge. /troublemaker

I crunched some numbers and put them in a blog post, if anyone cares to read them and draw what conclusions there are to be drawn.

Mostly, I'd imagine, that I am actually, as Jim Butcher would put it, "psychotically persistent."

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 pm

scott.parkin wrote:

They did for v31. But yes, by workshop week all judging is complete and selections made, so everyone can chatter without reservation. It was kind of fun as a third prize winner to watch the firsties be all paranoid.

I had read one of the first prizewinners before it won, but was threatened with painful death if I let any details slip. I had to wait for press check (got a copy of the book that was still literally *hot* off the press---straight off the conveyor from binding and trimming) to read the others. The amount of giggling on the bus back from the press as folks read Dan Davis' "The God Whisperer" for the first time was an absolute treat.

Every year will get something the year before didn't get and it will make each year suuuuppper annoyed. The year after us got Kobo eReaders AND deserts in the theme of their story AND OSC. The year after got to have story titles on their name tags and Peter Wacks to give a talk that helped them all get on the USA Today Bestsellar list. I can't remember if they did make the USA Today or got like seriously close. I heard they had incredible sales numbers and really hustled it.

gower21

Postby gower21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 pm

ALSO

CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS!! You guys rock.

And to those who have gotten bad news take a look at Julie who has the right attitude. Don't wait for WOTF to start your writing career. There are a lot of entrants who didn't win that went on to have fabulous careers, some way better than the winners themselves.

When I was entering, Annie Ballet was also entering and she was so close every single time. She now makes six figures writing. Um. Be a Ballet. Grab your career and make it happen. Enter while you can, but don't think a rejection will in any way slow you down.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”