Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
amoskalik

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 33

Postby amoskalik » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:57 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I find myself in an awkward position: I know I need to fix the beginning of my story, but have received conflicting feedback on how to do it. Now I have to figure out what the best option is from my perspective, which probably involves reading the whole story afresh and figuring out where to go from there.

Whee! wotf027

Feedback is great for letting you know if something is wrong with your story and where. It is less useful for letting you know how to fix it. Even the best editor will not be as close to your story or understand the nuances of what you are trying to convey as well as you do. If one of the suggestions strikes you as an excellent fix, go with it, otherwise you are better off coming up with your own solution which may not resemble either suggestion.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:42 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Peon,

I'll gladly read the first 450.
I will add my opinion. Maybe sway you in a direction?
Or give you a new one. wotf001

How did I miss this? Probably because it's toward the end of the page and things have been hectic lately.

Sure, I'll take you up on that. Would you like me to PM the lines, PM you for your e-mail address, or what? (New to the First 450 thing.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R
2018: HM, ?

alpha

Postby alpha » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:38 pm

All right, I went ahead and took the plunge. I went with an older story (never entered here before) that I went back and fixed up with some pretty substantial revisions.

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:29 pm

All right, I've let the beta comments sit, and I've outlined changes I want to make in my story. Now to actually get to it.

Winner or Bust! wotf024
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

dstein

Postby dstein » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Man, I learn so much from doing this contest. This is only my third quarter of submitting and already I feel like everything I'm writing is more pointed and meaningful than what came before it. It's nice when you've solved key story or character problems enough times to recognize that the nut you're having a hard time cracking at the moment isn't indestructible after all. And it's definitely informing my novel(s) already.
V32Q3: HM
V32Q4: R
V33Q1: First-Place Finalist

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 am

It's too quiet in here!

On the other hand, that may simply mean that everyone has their nose to the grindstone.

wotf042
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:It's too quiet in here!

On the other hand, that may simply mean that everyone has their nose to the grindstone.

wotf042

Yep wotf008
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:03 am

Just putting the final polish on, then I'm sending it in.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm a good couple of country miles from putting anything in just yet. But this story will be the first I've subbed that has also been scratch-written for the contest, and I'm pretty happy with what I have at the moment.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:41 am

DoctorJest wrote:I'm a good couple of country miles from putting anything in just yet.

If you look over your shoulder that dot in the distance is me.
I spent last month writing a novel now it's time to finish my Q1/33 entry.
I'm trying a different genre and it's a challenge to say the least.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:39 pm

storysinger wrote:If you look over your shoulder that dot in the distance is me.
I spent last month writing a novel now it's time to finish my Q1/33 entry.
I'm trying a different genre and it's a challenge to say the least.

That is me right now. I had no ideas to work with in October, participated in NaNoWriMo all of November (awesomeness!) and now I just have December for my Q1 entry. The upside is that I definately have a plot, and I think it's a good one (er, hopefully...), and I had all of November to work out the kinks. Now I just need to put it down on paper. I know, easier said than done, right?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go work on said story right now. wotf022
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Well I am about one fourth to one third of the way through the crit for my story. Taking longer than it should but there are a lot of comments--like usual. Maybe finish it this weekend.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 am

LDWriter2 wrote:Well I am about one fourth to one third of the way through the crit for my story. Taking longer than it should but there are a lot of comments--like usual. Maybe finish it this weekend.

Are you on critters? You'll have to let me know your author name there so I can keep an eye open for you in the queue.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:02 pm

I've just submitted to this quarter for those tracking such things. Good luck to everyone still writing. Let's give Dave the greatest selection of stories yet wotf024

Athena

Postby Athena » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:44 am

I've got a final draft ready to submit, but I still don't have a title. Story of my life. I feel really good about this one. Maybe this is the one!

Edit: Scratch that. I've got a title! Here we go!
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 am

It's a shame that I have an idea coming together but I still will not have the time ti actually write the damn thing by the end of the month,
maybe Q2
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:32 am

I'm almost ready to submit mine. Just need to do one final read through to make sure it's good and then there is no turning back!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:34 am

bobsandiego wrote,
I still will not have the time t[o] actually write the damn thing by the end of the month,

I'm in Master's classes and don't have much time to devote to writing fiction. So I outline stories in my spare time and then write by outline. I organize by Try-Fail cycle, sub-organize by scene heading and then by paragraph heading. Further subdivisions are as detailed as character quotes and exact sentences. Writing the story becomes an expansion of the outline.

I wrote Q1 & Q2, V32 stories this way and received HM's for both. Q1 went from a 1,000 word outline to 4,500 word story in six hours. Q2 similarly expanded from a 2,300 to 8,000 in five hours writing time. If nothing else, it's a way to reference all of the parts of the story at any time I like, giving me the ability to draft any section I happen to be thinking about at the time (My creative process is non-sequential, so I often know the end before I know the middle).

Good Luck,
Kent

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:45 am

I'm having trouble with mine, but I should be able to resolve said trouble before the end of the month. Everything's still percolating.

dstein

Postby dstein » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:46 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I'm having trouble with mine, but I should be able to resolve said trouble before the end of the month. Everything's still percolating.

Does it ever feel like your ability to write is like a goldfish; it expands or shrinks to fit the amount of time you have before something is due?
V32Q3: HM
V32Q4: R
V33Q1: First-Place Finalist

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:53 pm

kentagions wrote:bobsandiego wrote,
I still will not have the time t[o] actually write the damn thing by the end of the month,

I'm in Master's classes and don't have much time to devote to writing fiction. So I outline stories in my spare time and then write by outline. I organize by Try-Fail cycle, sub-organize by scene heading and then by paragraph heading. Further subdivisions are as detailed as character quotes and exact sentences. Writing the story becomes an expansion of the outline.

I wrote Q1 & Q2, V32 stories this way and received HM's for both. Q1 went from a 1,000 word outline to 4,500 word story in six hours. Q2 similarly expanded from a 2,300 to 8,000 in five hours writing time. If nothing else, it's a way to reference all of the parts of the story at any time I like, giving me the ability to draft any section I happen to be thinking about at the time (My creative process is non-sequential, so I often know the end before I know the middle).

Good Luck,
Kent

That's an interesting process, would work for me. For short stories the only process that I can work with is write from start to finish and then revise. (It helps that I always know how my tales will end.)
I just don't have the time this Q, too many high priority projects to work on. Maybe Q2.....
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:57 am

Since I'm basically a pantser, I tend to run down a lot of blind alleys. So far for this quarter, I've written 2 complete short stories (~7000 words and ~6500 words respectively) and two incomplete, longer stories (~9000 words and ~12000 words). I've thought "maybe" to each of them, then set each one aside and started on the next one. I'm now working on a fourth story that I'm hoping will be the one for this quarter. But, hey. There's plenty of time, right? wotf004

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:15 am

I'm the weirdest combination of swooper and basher, mostly because I do both, occasionally at the same time. (Heard the terms from this Cracked article, which I've personally found useful enough to have bookmarked for quite some time.) How much swooping and how much bashing I do depends on the story.

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Too bad Brockway doesn't go into detail about Swoopers and Bashers, as Vonnegut often waxed hilarious about how he came up with nomenclature for people. I swoop when I want to get away (from the grind of classwork, from life, from writing that feels more important than life and stresses me out as a result. Name your own reason for escape.) I write it all in a single document entitled Write a Description. Jokes, editorials to particularly irksome news, descriptions of alien flora and fauna, descriptions of magical laws, etc., all go into the document. I leave it all there, un-edited.

Pantsers and plotters (http://thewritepractice.com/plotters-pantsers/ seem to correspond more to personality types than Swoopers and Bashers. Plotters are game masters and pantsers are players. We're somewhat equal in that plotters don't get to immerse themselves in their own universe, but pantsers don't get to know what happens next.

As the writer of the article observes, plotting allows the writing to progress faster. What the article writer fails to realize is that outlining is crazy creative and fast because the entire skeleton of the story is there in a few lines. Make it a monkey or a monster. Then writing fleshes it out.

Outlining gets bashed because it sounds like homework. I do it because I'm preparing to be a pro. Pennies per word don't feed the poodle, let alone keep the heat on in a Minnesota winter. I figure that output is king in this business, so I looked for the fastest way to write. I'm sure we all wish we could write as fast as we think.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Based on that article I got my start as a pantser and I do sometimes revert back to that state, but I aspire to be a plotter and have been trying to steer myself in that direction. As a game master, I'm actually very much a mix of the two (I always have a rough skeleton of a plan but I'm not afraid to change things on the fly as long as I get to my designated end point).

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:22 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:Based on that article I got my start as a pantser and I do sometimes revert back to that state, but I aspire to be a plotter and have been trying to steer myself in that direction. As a game master, I'm actually very much a mix of the two (I always have a rough skeleton of a plan but I'm not afraid to change things on the fly as long as I get to my designated end point).

I do plot more than I like to admit, but I try hard not to. For me, discovering the story is the fun part. If I outline or plot too much before actually writing, it turns the writing into a chore. And I don't like chores.

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Randy Hulshizer wrote:If I outline or plot too much before actually writing, it turns the writing into a chore. And I don't like chores.

I wrote a song about hang-gliding called winginit(I love doing it). That seems to be the way I enjoy writing the most.
I do dabble with outlines and plots because I want to cash in some day.
When I'm winginit I have the most fun.
Write on.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:59 am

I'm a plotter that pantses my plot, I suppose. My plot document is actually a very bare bones zeroeth revision, all written in a rush of excitement as ideas spark and bounce off each other, scene ideas sketched out hastily and with much digression and jumping back and forth before being vaguely shuffled into some sort of order.

It's never complete or accurate; it's just a sketch of a map to get me on my way. Once I'm walking the path and writing the first revision proper, all sorts of problems and plot knots will throw themselves up, and I'll have to rework things to get rid of the kinks, but in general I'll have an idea of where I'm going and what scene I should be writing next. I can't start writing without some idea, but I can't finish the idea until I've started writing. I think the problem is a lack of RAM in my brain, and I have to start getting some of it down on paper (screen) to make room for new ideas in the story wotf022

If I don't have that, I end up either a) staring at my screen with an unfocused gaze, occasionally switching an adverb in and out and in and out and not really doing anything, killing my momentum and going to bed grumpy because I've been unproductive, or b) waffling without going anywhere, which makes for very boring stories.

As for swooping and bashing... by habit I'm a basher, but I'm trying to be a swooper, because momentum is worth a lot to me, and getting caught up on synonyms to avoid repetition kills that.The problem is that my writing is like cement; at first it's fluid and easy to reshape, but as time and revisions pass, it starts to set and solidify and it becomes harder to make big changes, so I end up stuck with whatever's there and only able to chip away at the edges, refining little cosmetic details. Swooping carries a very real danger of me being stuck with some real garbage in the final draft :/
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

zali

Postby zali » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:06 pm

I want to be writing so badly right now, have a great idea and everything...but finals. Ugh why did I ever choose grad school wotf020
1 HM
3 R's

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Well about half way done. I should have finished the revision by now but still have time. Mayhaps I can work on it longer tomorrow.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”