Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Martin L. Shoemaker

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 33

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:31 pm

KbRy wrote:I have just submitted my story! I'm in danger of becoming ineligible so this might be my last chance, folks. Best of luck to everyone! I'm looking forward to obsessing, er, I mean, waiting patiently with all of you.

To repeat myself: you remain eligible right up to the day you aren't. The day your fourth qualifying story is published. If you submit before that, your submission is eligible. So hurry on your next one! ('Cuz I firmly believe that pro status is just around the corner for you.)
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:09 pm

And I'm in. wotf049

WOOT WOOT!!

(Cue twitching to start in around two months.)

Time to start on the next story...
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Michael Kingswood

Postby Michael Kingswood » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:21 pm

In with 40 minutes to spare.

I only started this story two months ago, then got distracted by other projects until...today.

Why do I keep doing that? *sigh*

Oh well, at least it's in. :) Good luck everybody. :)

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:42 am

I submitted just after noon yesterday so I'm in again.
Good luck everybody.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

alpha

Postby alpha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:49 am

And we're off! Good luck everybody!

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:06 am

I forgot to post, but I was in for Q1 on December 30th (although, technically, it was still the 29th Pacific Time). Hopefully, the thirty-third time is the charm? wotf007

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:51 am

Martin L. Shoemaker wrote:
KbRy wrote:I have just submitted my story! I'm in danger of becoming ineligible so this might be my last chance, folks. Best of luck to everyone! I'm looking forward to obsessing, er, I mean, waiting patiently with all of you.

To repeat myself: you remain eligible right up to the day you aren't. The day your fourth qualifying story is published. If you submit before that, your submission is eligible. So hurry on your next one! ('Cuz I firmly believe that pro status is just around the corner for you.)

Not like the James White Award which has the opposite rule, viz: ◦The date on which this assessment is made is the closing date of the competition – not when the submission is made.

Thanks Martin, though since flash doesn't count I only have two pro sales at the moment. And one of those was a non-SWFA-recognised market, though I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

But since you never know, I might submit early for Q2.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Well if you're not concerned about eligibility, entering late doesn't harm your chances--my 1st place story went in on the 30th June, the very last day of the quarter. I've always entered late to allow me as much time as possible to sit on a story and get some distance from it before editing.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

bobsandiego

Postby bobsandiego » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:01 pm

I always enter late because it reduces my wait time and I am not known for patience...
Literary saboteur
Blog: http://www.robertmitchellevans.com/
HM X 5
SF X 3
F X 0
Current Rejection Streak: 0

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:10 pm

As is my habit I was thinking of my story today while driving. Actually I sometimes think of any story that pops into my head. At times it's way older tales, sometimes one I am working on and at time, such as today, one I just sent in.

Anyway-I was not completely satisfied with the very end of my story--we are talking about the last three to five sentences. I hadn't thought of doing a better ending because I had thought on it and came up with what I did. So today while kind of thinking of that story, a better ending popped into my head. Ohh yes, it goes with the story that is at WotF. My muse decided it work on it for me-she, he, it-then slipped into my conscious mind at an odd time. So I could just add it now so when I get the story back it will be ready to send out again.

sigh

Oh must muses seem to be female but can't say for sure about mine. I know her-his-its name isn't Xanadu after all.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:49 am

I hear you there. Sent my mom my story before Christmas. Submitted it after she didn't respond right away. Got her response yesterday and she pointed out a pacing flaw that I'd tried to fix (according to her, I did not succeed). It will probably get me auto rejected. WHEE!
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:44 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I hear you there. Sent my mom my story before Christmas. Submitted it after she didn't respond right away. Got her response yesterday and she pointed out a pacing flaw that I'd tried to fix (according to her, I did not succeed). It will probably get me auto rejected. WHEE!

I don't think mine is that bad-Dave would have to have read the whole thing to get to the ending after all. If he does he could still think it worth another HM or SHM.

Now if we are talking about the whole thing that is different. Despite last quarter and some good advice I got on this one wotf011 I wrote it, there will be something(s) wrong with the writing.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Speaking of my story now from the other end. Going along with the opening of last quarter's story, I thought of a better first line too. I worked on the first couple of lines but now I think I should have basically switched one and two.

wotf017 Don't know if that would have made a difference or if what I have is good enough but I need all the help I can get.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:58 am

Is tomorrow Thursday?
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:29 am

Randy Hulshizer wrote:Is tomorrow Thursday?

It is and....tomorrow a year ago is when results started coming out. This Thursday must be trying to tell us something. Well I'm sure not ready to start twitching!

By the way I can't remember but wasn't a guessomancy supposed to start this quarter? Or was it next?
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:44 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:

It is and....tomorrow a year ago is when results started coming out. This Thursday must be trying to tell us something. Well I'm sure not ready to start twitching!

By the way I can't remember but wasn't a guessomancy supposed to start this quarter? Or was it next?

ACK!

You're right!!!

And, since no results... It's not too late!
I will set that up ASAP.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am

Stephanie,

Your name hath been invoked on the Guessomancy thread. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

JenD-F

Postby JenD-F » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Oh I'm in this quarter. Got something in Dec 19th before the full holiday crush landed on my head! Yet again a story with what I'm sure is far too much cursing to fly. Perhaps one day I'll manage to sub something PG13.
Anthropologist by day, writer by night.

http://dornan-fish.com/

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:
Imagination Vortex wrote:

ACK!

You're right!!!

And, since no results... It's not too late!
I will set that up ASAP.

Ugh, I don't want to start twitching either. I feel so relaxed... You know that the minute the first wave of rejections come in everyone's hair is going to stand on end and we're going to start bouncing off walls. wotf037

And technically, for those of us in America, it's still Wednesday, so it still might happen. Count your Friday's as Thursdays and I'll count my Wednesdays as possible Thursdays and...wait, I'm confused... wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Haha posted my guesses in the wrong thread. Deleted them here. wotf019

But I will say I added you to the list Jen. wotf011

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:41 am

Another quiet Thursday?
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:09 am

Does anyone think subbing in different genres for the four quarters would improve one's odds.
Q1-syfy
Q2-fantasy
Q3- Steam-punk
Q4-apocolyptic
wotf017
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 am

storysinger wrote:Does anyone think subbing in different genres for the four quarters would improve one's odds.
Q1-syfy
Q2-fantasy
Q3- Steam-punk
Q4-apocolyptic
wotf017

I think subbing the best story you have any given Q is the best bet. So far all my stories have been vastly different from each other, but if I were to develop a world that inspired me to write multiple stories in, I wouldn't hesitate to write and submit them one after the other.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:30 am

storysinger wrote:Does anyone think subbing in different genres for the four quarters would improve one's odds.
Q1-syfy
Q2-fantasy
Q3- Steam-punk
Q4-apocolyptic
wotf017

Probably not, because it's about differentiating yourself from others, and you've no way of knowing what everyone else is entering.

Honestly: write what you gotta write. I'm sure I've said this here before, but I once tried to write an action filled military SF story built around scene/sequel specifically for WotF and its clear-plot/lots-of-action tastes, and spent three months rewriting the first 1000 words over and over until I gave up and quit writing for six months because I didn't enjoy it. Next story I wrote was one I was actually interested in, and that's the one that won.

The only thing you need to be concerned about as far as genre goes is is my worldbuilding cliché for this genre. If it is, weird it up a bit. Make it your own so it stands out. I reckon that's all that matters there.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Muri McCage

Postby Muri McCage » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:02 pm

I'm in the precise pickle Matt describes. Well, almost. I'm still working on the story I started way too long ago, thinking it would be fun to write an entire story based on two words that popped into my head. I can report now that it has not been fun. I've also tried to gear it specifically toward this contest. Also not fun, when certain specifics tend to go against my writing nature

If I can't really, really enjoy working on a project, I all but don't want to write it. Then I get in the position of wanting to abandon it. THEN then I dig in my heels, determined to see it through. That I do not enjoy.

I'm at a place now where I suddenly had a mental info dump, and I'm a little stunned that all the time I was mentally grumbling about/at it, it plotted itself a deeper meaning than I consciously knew about.
I really do not understand how my peculiar writer's brain works. Since it revealed itself to me on a drive, it's been falling into place better. I have the solid backbone, now that it's plotting my usual tangenting way. It's as if a plot logjam got broken up during that drive, and now it's at a process place I'm comfortable in.

I learned a few things. 1) Writing based on two random words is definitely not my strong suit. 2) I'm only good at pantsing AFTER I have the backbone. 3). Writing the way I write is the way I write, and I need to trust that.

I don't know yet if I'll have it ready for the next deadline. I don't even know if I'll like the finished product. I do know I agree with Matt about writing what you gotta write. What you end up with that way will be enough uniquely you to take care of the weirding it up part. I love that...weirding it up.
Mom in the Moon, Analog October 2016
Dare to dream, now and tomorrow....
Blog: Dreams of the Purple Koala
http://murimccage.wordpress.com/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MuriMcCage

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:01 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:But I will say I added you to the list Jen. wotf011

Stephanie,
This thread could still use the list.

Also, if anyone is in that didn't say, sound off!

Brydar?
Glen84?
Ellie?
Dave Beavers?
Jeremy?
Alpha?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM

alpha

Postby alpha » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:14 am

Yeah, I'm in. It's a trunk story with a new ending, but who knows? Stranger things have happened, right?

I don't know about you folks, but this week is feeling sort of Thurdayish to me. Duck!

LawrenceVanHoof

Postby LawrenceVanHoof » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:29 am

I'm in. Sub date was December 25, I believe.
Oops, where did that idea go? I had it a minute ago....

http://www.lawrencevanhoof.com

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:31 am

alpha wrote:I don't know about you folks, but this week is feeling sort of Thurdayish to me. Duck!

Duck? Where? *looks around*

Seriously, though, last quarter's rejection did a lot to ease the tension for me this quarter simply because I now have more realistic expectations. It's no longer "expect the worst, hope for the best and secretly feel invincible". Granted, it's still fairly similar in a way--just change "invincible" to "I don't know what I'm doing" and you've got it right. wotf019
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:48 pm

Alright here is the updated list. I wonder if this week will be the true start of twitching...

NOVEMBER 14TH
Ishmael
DECEMBER 3RD
pdblake
DECEMBER 5TH
amoskalik
DECEMBER 8TH
Athena
DECEMBER 19TH
JenD-F
DECEMBER 22ND
Tamlyn
DECEMBER 23RD
disgruntledpeony
rharp
DECEMBER 25TH
LawrenceVanHoof
DECEMBER 27TH
dstein
LDWriter2
DECEMBER 28TH
reigheena
Stephanie
DECEMBER 29TH
Muri McCage
DECEMBER 30TH
Aidan Meyer
amstard
Beth Powers
KD Julicher
Randy Hulshizer
storysinger
DECEMBER 31ST
Dustin Adams
emilymccosh
KbRy
kentagions
Michael Kingswood
preston
Rebecca Birch
storysinger
OTHERS
alpha
Last edited by Imagination Vortex on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”