Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
LDWriter2

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 33

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:08 pm

zali wrote:I want to be writing so badly right now, have a great idea and everything...but finals. Ugh why did I ever choose grad school wotf020

I know the feeling even though for other reasons. wotf007
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

dbeavers

Postby dbeavers » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:28 am

Thanks for sharing the writing approaches. Not sure where I fall on the spectrum, but it feels like 90% of my writing time I spend beating my head against the wall - not too pleasant. The 10% of inspiration time makes it worth the experience.

Does anyone have a strategy for dealing with distractions? A lot of the time I have available comes in blocks of ten to twenty minutes About the time I get the story file open, something/ someone needs attention: kid, work, spouse, the alien in the attic. Hard to switch gears so often.
Dave Beavers. R, HM, HM, HM.
It ain't the heat, it's the humility - Yogi Berra

dstein

Postby dstein » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:16 am

dbeavers wrote:Does anyone have a strategy for dealing with distractions? A lot of the time I have available comes in blocks of ten to twenty minutes...

In my experience, short blocks of time are a lousy time to "do some writing" in a kind of unplanned sense, but often a GREAT time to go in with a well-defined personal goal. If you go in telling yourself that you're going to stay focused until you've written 300 words, or strengthened a character's voice while trimming adverbs or whatever for five pages, you'll find (if you're like me) that short periods of time seem to stretch.
V32Q3: HM
V32Q4: R
V33Q1: First-Place Finalist

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:52 am

Distractions are the world's way of telling me that it aint about me. I reconciled myself to the fact that I was not the center of the universe when I was six and my kid sister arrived; a pink lump of take-the-attention-away-from-Kent. Writing, however, demands that I occupy the universal nexus chair for brief stints. Routine is like signing up for time in the chair. The more routines attached, the stronger the bond.
Kent's anti-distraction routines:

Inform: Tell people that you are writing: "I'm writing," put a sign on the door (If you isolate yourself), turn your music up loud (more later). You may want to make it fun for the kids and have a code word to begin and one to end your sessions. I simply asked my kids (now grown) to remember their questions and ask later. Once in my routine, I have a fairly high focus, so I could deal briefly with other things without derailing my train of thought.

Place: Pick a place where you write and go there to write. This is entirely personal preference. You know the place where you are most productive. Go there.

Music: I play the same music, album, preference file or other "canned" music for the piece that I'm working on. Remember that this is meant to be repetitive in order to stay in the writing zone, so choose pieces that help you focus. It's an auditory cue to help you concentrate. When it begins, so do you.

Happy Place: Imagine yourself completely immersed in the place and time where you have been most content: calm and relaxed, not joyous or excited. This mental imagery is preparatory. It may take a while to do the first time, but once you've found that place, it gets faster; two seconds for me. (Note: It's part of a sports technique).

Review: Remind yourself of the piece that you wish to work on. I review my plotting, and I picture my characters playing out the most recent scene. What is the MC feeling/sensing, how is she reacting?

Mental Image: (The second part of the sports technique) Imagine yourself as the perfect writer. Imagine yourself as a person who remembers every last rule that you've ever learned about writing. Then imagine yourself bringing that powerful force to bear upon the story at hand. Imagine writing perfect prose that entertains the world.

Begin writing. (Start again from Happy Place whenever needed. It should only take a few seconds.)

One additional step might be to add aroma; a candle or potpourri. Then you will have eyes (screen), ears, nose, and tactile (keyboard) senses engaged.

This is my sequence, my routine. The key is to develop a routine, one that you can do the same way every time. Repetition builds neural pathways for tasks and thereby increases efficiency. (Yes, it is entirely possible to teach yourself to turn on your creativity.) My routine helps me to quickly clear my mind and focus my attention on the writing at hand.

One further note that might be more important than the others. None of my steps include negative words or imagery. I do these things to write well and quickly, so I repeat only those things that help achieve that positive goal. I'm human, so negative thoughts (distractions) creep in from the edges. That's when I repeat from Happy Place and move on.

Good luck,
Kent

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:45 am

That's very good advice Kent.
When I did the NaNoWriMo last month I established some new habits similar to some of those you listed.
I would think about where my characters were in the story prior to turning on the laptop.
My aroma of choice for last month was wild cherry. No music though.
There were times when I would write for a few minutes at a time and other times I would go for hours.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:32 am

Putting notes on the door only works as long as kids are old enough to read. I write during my youngest's naptime, and set my kindergartener up with a movie/video game. Gets me at least an hour, usually.

Past few weeks I've had to deal with sickness/not sleeping, so I've been prioritizing that over writing. Now I need to get in gear to get as much writing as I can done before my second grader will also be home during break.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

dstein

Postby dstein » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Dumb question, but did this quarter already end? The submission site currently says "THIS CONTEST RUNS FROM January 1st, 2016 THROUGH March 31st, 2016." Do they usually chop Q1 off early for the holidays?

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:37 pm

dstein wrote:Dumb question, but did this quarter already end? The submission site currently says "THIS CONTEST RUNS FROM January 1st, 2016 THROUGH March 31st, 2016." Do they usually chop Q1 off early for the holidays?

No, it's still open; it's always open. You cannot escape the contest. I've submitted on the 31st December before, and the rejection that story received was nothing to do with the deadline and everything to do with the story. (It's the one & only story on my site so far, as it happens. Definitely not enough plot for WoTF.)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

dstein

Postby dstein » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:36 pm

MattDovey wrote:
dstein wrote:Dumb question, but did this quarter already end? The submission site currently says "THIS CONTEST RUNS FROM January 1st, 2016 THROUGH March 31st, 2016." Do they usually chop Q1 off early for the holidays?

No, it's still open; it's always open. You cannot escape the contest. I've submitted on the 31st December before, and the rejection that story received was nothing to do with the deadline and everything to do with the story. (It's the one & only story on my site so far, as it happens. Definitely not enough plot for WoTF.)

In that case I guess I'll just ignore the timeframe it says on the page and just assume that if I submit it'll get into the right quarter, then!

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 am

dstein wrote:
MattDovey wrote:

In that case I guess I'll just ignore the timeframe it says on the page and just assume that if I submit it'll get into the right quarter, then!

To be fair, it could be different this year from last, but usually Joni sends out reminders of upcoming deadlines, doesn't she?
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

alpha

Postby alpha » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:16 am

Worst case scenario, you get entered in for the following quarter. But I've never heard of them closing early.

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:27 am

I had created a "draft" for Q1 near the beginning of the quarter. A few weeks ago, I received this email:

Dear Potential Contestant,

You still have a draft in the Writers of the Future contest. This is going out to everyone still in that category in our computer. If you already responded to me and I am aware of your particluar status, no need to reply.

If you thought you were done, most likely you uploaded your story but forgot to click "submit".

You have until midnight 31 December to submit. (Pacific Standard Time)

Again, if you need any help submitting, let me know.

Thanks!!!

Joni Labaqui - Contest Director

I hope this helps.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:18 am

I am normally a last day submitter, but as the story has been ready for a while, I decided I might as well actually submit it. Just means I wait longer for the next rejection :P
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:27 pm

I know the story I'm writing is a good one, but i just don't feel passionate about it at the moment. Part of me wants to just put off writing it until Q2, but I'm to the point where I feel bad if I don't submit each quarter. wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:26 am

I've got my story to the point where I (mostly) like it. I may tweak the final scene a bit today, as that's the only part I'm not hugely fond of, but what I really need at this point is a title.

And I can't think of a title.

Well. I can think of plenty of potential titles, just not the right one. I've been staring at the dashes on page one that mark where it should go for days. I've written a one-sentence summary of the story in hopes that it would help clear my thought process, but apparently knowing what the story is about doesn't help me in this case. I've read the manuscript over twice to look for key phrases that might grab me. I've read and re-read the thread about titling here on WotF. I've played with title generators just to see if any words stood out. I've got a separate document saved so I can play around with thoughts on the subject--I've got about twenty different options so far, most of them total crap.

Oh well. I'll either think of something or I won't. I'm determined to submit the story to this quarter. If that means I have to bang my head on the wall until December 31st, so be it.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015: R
2016: SF, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, F, R
2018: HM, SHM

rharp

Postby rharp » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:22 am

Yay, I just submitted my Q1 story. Now to enjoy the holidays! Good luck, everybody! wotf007
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42 am

Classes out, 100% in Crisis Communications. Plotting/outlining today. Writing tomorrow.

Bwahahaha! wotf049

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:51 pm

kentagions wrote:Classes out, 100% in Crisis Communications. Plotting/outlining today. Writing tomorrow.

Bwahahaha! wotf049

That is me right now...but a little better. I've plotted and a few pages are done, but whether it's going to be GOOD or not is debatable.
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Turns out I only had a little more head-banging to go. I'm in. wotf047
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Okay I am finished with the revision--thanks disgruntled peony. A lot of work-one of these days I want to write a story that doesn't need even half of that many fixes. This one I added a bunch, not only some dialogue but some sensory aspects to certain scenes that went by kinda of quickly without much to hold the readers attention. Again I used techniques two of my favorite writers use and which seem to be supported by a couple of pros who teach writing. I knocked off a couple of things too that now looked unneeded.

I want to wait one day, and maybe go over it quickly one more time then send it in. Christmas? Well, it is over the internet after all and it would be a great Christmas gift to get in.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:45 am

Christmas has completely scuppered my plans to get in for Q1. I have most of a finished story, but if I try and rush it to completion for entry now there's no way I'll be putting in a story I'm happy with. I'll be punting to Q2.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)
Current WIP intended for Q1.v36

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Okay, I found a second file with the same title as the one I finished the revising according to the crit on. Oh oh does that mean I did the first half of the corrections on one file and the second half on the other file? I checked it out to make sure it wasn't something along those lines. Looks like I did all of the corrections on the same file. But in one way it was a good idea that I did check it. I found a sentence that made no sense-decided I couldn't remember what it was suppose to have said and that it didn't seem to be needed so it was deleted, I also found some sentences that I tweaked to sound better and read smoother, found one misspelled word. So it's better-or so I hope.

But a certain thought ran through my mind after all that.

So I tweaked a few things So does that mean my tweaked story twerks?

(ducks and runs away)

wotf015 Did I ask that????

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:52 pm

DoctorJest wrote:Christmas has completely scuppered my plans to get in for Q1. I have most of a finished story, but if I try and rush it to completion for entry now there's no way I'll be putting in a story I'm happy with. I'll be punting to Q2.

Under the circumstances, it sounds like a wise idea to wait. I do hope next quarter goes better for you, and also that you had a good Christmas. :)

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:51 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:Christmas has completely scuppered my plans to get in for Q1. I have most of a finished story, but if I try and rush it to completion for entry now there's no way I'll be putting in a story I'm happy with. I'll be punting to Q2.

Under the circumstances, it sounds like a wise idea to wait. I do hope next quarter goes better for you, and also that you had a good Christmas. :)

I would agree. Evidently you won't be the only one waiting or who has waited,
Any older stories you could tweak and send in? That sometime works out better than it sounds like it would.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

KbRy

Postby KbRy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi everyone. *waves to old friends and new* I haven't been around here lately--I feel so out of touch! I've got a story just about ready to go so I'm thinking I'll throw my hat in the ring this quarter.
Karen

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:32 pm

I be entered. At least I sent the story.

Good thing I looked over the opening. After the HM with the story I sent in previously but with a new opening I decided to see if I should redo this opening. I tweaked it some but essentially it's the same. But I found a very basic mistake I hadn't noticed before. I repeated something twice. Oops

I think the opening is solid but we shall see if Dave agrees with me.

Without going into details, of course, the story does have an unique setting and I hope the MC is different enough for him. The plot is basically an older one but I hope I put my own twist to it.

Came up with a title too. I stayed at the blank spot where a title should be and went "I better think one up before I send it in" Thought of and rejected three or four before I came up with this one. I tried to keep to the newer fad of shorter titles I have noticed with many writers but I would have used a longer one if I had come with something that fitted better. The title isn't the best but it goes along with something my MC learns.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Martin L. Shoemaker

Postby Martin L. Shoemaker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:34 pm

KbRy wrote:Hi everyone. *waves to old friends and new* I haven't been around here lately--I feel so out of touch! I've got a story just about ready to go so I'm thinking I'll throw my hat in the ring this quarter.

Get in while you can. It's only a matter of time before you pro out!
http://Shoemaker.Space
Other worlds from award-winning author Martin L. Shoemaker

WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!
SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!
REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!
Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
NNiNN

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:34 pm

KbRy wrote:Hi everyone. *waves to old friends and new* I haven't been around here lately--I feel so out of touch! I've got a story just about ready to go so I'm thinking I'll throw my hat in the ring this quarter.

"waves back"

Hello there, long time no see.

So get that story all the way ready and go for it. wotf011

You can have second place to my First.

Yeah right, I be doing great to get a semi.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:28 pm

A PS for my last note.

Now to start on the next one-I have like half a dozen ideas, you know. But OMG, like you know, I am trying to finish the revising of three books for, you know, Indie publishing. So, you know, I may, like, do one of my older stories again. I mean, you know, OMG I got an actual HM the last time I did that. So, like, you know, I reboot the opening like I did last time and like who knows another Hm or OMG, you know, a finalist out of it.

wotf011

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:23 pm

And I am in, though not with the story I had planned on submitting. That one needs more revision than I could get done this quarter.

Best of luck to all!
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 7. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”