Eligibility

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
seasoup

Eligibility

Postby seasoup » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if I'm eligible for this contest. I wrote a non-fiction how to program book (Single Page Web Applications: JavaScript end to end) that's won a Jolt Productivity award and been a best seller. But it's not a novel, small novel, novelette, nor is it a short story. Thanks.

s_c_baker

Re: Eligibility

Postby s_c_baker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:34 pm

My understanding is that non-fiction doesn't count.

To make absolutely sure, I would check with Joni Labaqui, contest coordinator: jonil@authorservicesinc.com

(And Javascript...? Rather you than me! wotf001 )
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

seasoup

Postby seasoup » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks!

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:28 pm

I believe Martin published a UML book before winning.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:56 am

Hello seasoup,
Two points: 1. Eligibility under rule 5 applies to publication of prose. 2. Even if your programming piece could be considered prose, you would still meet eligibility because it is only one piece. Here on the forums there are quite a few writers who have published works for which they have received no remuneration or too little to qualify as "professional" under rule 5. Notice the "and" in the last sentence of rule 5
Professional publication is deemed to be payment of at least six cents per word, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits.
That and means that both conditions must apply to the types of work cited in the first sentence for a writer to be disqualified.

One further point that I've gathered here on the forums: The body of work by a writer is not cumulative. There are authors on the forums who have published, professional work and published non-professional work. Two published, professional short stories and a billion published, non-professional works of any length are seen as only two published short stories; the author would qualify.

Good luck,
Kent

s_c_baker

Postby s_c_baker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:58 am

kentagions wrote:2. Even if your programming piece could be considered prose, you would still meet eligibility because it is only one piece. Here on the forums there are quite a few writers who have published works for which they have received no remuneration or too little to qualify as "professional" under rule 5. t

I would note that a best-selling non-fiction programming book is likely to count as a novel, and probably paid at way more than $0.05/word wotf007

Although I still don't think it counts, since it's not a work of fiction.
Stewart C Baker - 1st place, Q2 V32
My contest history: Semi-finalist, R, HM, R, R, HM, HM, R, R, R, R, HM, R, R, R, R, Winner
My published fiction, poetry, &c.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”