Hearing back about the published finalist...

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
JeremySzal
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby JeremySzal » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Not sure if creating a whole new thread about this is appropriate, but I guess I'll do it...

Anyway, I was a finalist for V32, Q3, and my story is being held for consideration as the published finalist, along with 19 others. At what point do you usually hear back about who's made the finalist position or not? Do you hear back at all unless you've won? How many weeks after they've selected the final positions for Q4?

If anyone's had experience in this, or knows the specifics, it would be awesome if you could let me know, and post it here for general public clarity. I'm bloody chewing my nails off here!

Cheers!
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

KD Julicher
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:00 pm

It definitely won't be til after Q4 judging is over. Last time it happened pretty fast. I know they contact you directly but I don't know if the not-chosen get phone calls or emails. As a note it won't be "19 other finalists", it'll be whichever they decided to hold for consideration. My Q2 is being held but my finalist last year was not. So your odds might be better than you think. wotf007 I'd say good luck except I'd rather mine get chosen so wotf004
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Jeremy,

I found out when the 4th Q results were posted on the press release.
And my name wasn't there.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

JeremySzal
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby JeremySzal » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 pm

KD Julicher wrote:It definitely won't be til after Q4 judging is over. Last time it happened pretty fast. I know they contact you directly but I don't know if the not-chosen get phone calls or emails. As a note it won't be "19 other finalists", it'll be whichever they decided to hold for consideration. My Q2 is being held but my finalist last year was not. So your odds might be better than you think. wotf007 I'd say good luck except I'd rather mine get chosen so wotf004


Yeah, I imagined that some of the guys in Q1 and Q2 were less likely to ask for their stories to be held. Maybe it's not 1/20 after all.

And yes, I hope you get picked, but I hope I get picked more. wotf009
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

User avatar
juliecfrost
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:41 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby juliecfrost » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Jeremy,

I found out when the 4th Q results were posted on the press release.
And my name wasn't there.


Yeeeep, me too. Kind of a gut-punch.

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:53 pm

JeremySzal wrote:Yeah, I imagined that some of the guys in Q1 and Q2 were less likely to ask for their stories to be held. Maybe it's not 1/20 after all.

I get the impression, and this is just my impression, mind you, that because Q4 is so packed with stories, that the 4th place story is closer to a winner than say the 4th place story from Q1. (Again, just a guess!)

For my first finalist, Joni totally teased me with this: (paraphrase quote) "They are discussing a second PF and your story is one of them."
So, I didn't win, came in 4th, didn't get PF, but almost, almost, got 2nd PF. Ack!

Long story short. Odds are greater than 5% because they don't hold all stories. And: Never tell me the odds. wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

JeremySzal
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby JeremySzal » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:
JeremySzal wrote:Yeah, I imagined that some of the guys in Q1 and Q2 were less likely to ask for their stories to be held. Maybe it's not 1/20 after all.

I get the impression, and this is just my impression, mind you, that because Q4 is so packed with stories, that the 4th place story is closer to a winner than say the 4th place story from Q1. (Again, just a guess!)

For my first finalist, Joni totally teased me with this: (paraphrase quote) "They are discussing a second PF and your story is one of them."
So, I didn't win, came in 4th, didn't get PF, but almost, almost, got 2nd PF. Ack!

Long story short. Odds are greater than 5% because they don't hold all stories. And: Never tell me the odds. wotf011

Second PF eh? Interesting.
Have they released the details of it yet? I'm not sure if the PF has been selected yet...
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Mum's the word for V32

They didn't end up doing a 2nd PF that year, nor since.
I hope they do in fact have one this year, but it's not guaranteed. :(
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

JeremySzal
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby JeremySzal » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Mum's the word for V32

They didn't end up doing a 2nd PF that year, nor since.
I hope they do in fact have one this year, but it's not guaranteed. :(

Hmm. When do they usually announce it? By my calucations it should be any day now...
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

KD Julicher
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby KD Julicher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Odd, I tried posting earlier and it does not seem to have taken.

I haven't heard anything about PF one way or the other, FWIW. wotf017
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
rharp
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:01 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby rharp » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 pm

I've heard nothing yet either, Jeremy. wotf005
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

User avatar
Dustin Adams
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am
Location: NY, state of
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:22 am

Folks,

Just checked last year. Winning and non-winning calls went out on Jan 6.
PF knew two days later on Jan 8.
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/31st- ... e-winners/

The only pattern is: There is no pattern.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

JeremySzal
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Hearing back about the published finalist...

Postby JeremySzal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Folks,

Just checked last year. Winning and non-winning calls went out on Jan 6.
PF knew two days later on Jan 8.
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/31st- ... e-winners/

The only pattern is: There is no pattern.

Seems that way.
Now we just wait. *bites nails*
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests