Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
emilymccosh

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:50 pm

Thurmonday, Thurtuesday, Thurwednesday, Thursday, Thurfriday, Thursaterday, or Thursunday?

Pick a dart and throw!
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:54 pm

KD Julicher wrote:
emilymccosh wrote:And I'm with Jeremy. If this story doesn't win, I'm pretty much sure that nothing I write will ever be able to. Then again, what do I know!?!?! wotf024

Quick note:

First off, something can be a totally amazing story and still "not right for WOTF".

This is very true.

Except I wrote this story specifically for WOTF: I tried to appeal to Dave's sensibilities. I got three waves of critiquers to read the story, one of which had actually won WOTF before and told me how to craft the clay that appeals to Dave.

I know this has worked for people previously. I'm hoping it works for me too. Because if this story doesn't win...I don't know what will.

I'll just go off and sacrifice some goats just to be sure.
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:51 pm

JeremySzal wrote,

Some? wotf028

wotf007

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:56 pm

JeremySzal wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:
emilymccosh wrote:And I'm with Jeremy. If this story doesn't win, I'm pretty much sure that nothing I write will ever be able to. Then again, what do I know!?!?! wotf024

Quick note:

First off, something can be a totally amazing story and still "not right for WOTF".

This is very true.

Except I wrote this story specifically for WOTF: I tried to appeal to Dave's sensibilities. I got three waves of critiquers to read the story, one of which had actually won WOTF before and told me how to craft the clay that appeals to Dave.

I know this has worked for people previously. I'm hoping it works for me too. Because if this story doesn't win...I don't know what will.

Other writers seem to have finally won after a long time. Sometimes it was a story they didn't expect to win. You practice writing after all.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Ember

Postby Ember » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:04 am

Not long till July now. I sure hope that little birdie knew what it was talking about ...
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:53 am

The little birdies tend to be about a week premature on their predictions. You never know though, this one might be spot on. Tomorrow is Thursday.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:51 am

Not yet.
Thomas K Carpenter
http://www.thomaskcarpenter.com
SFx2, SHMx1, HMx12 (Pro'd Out - Q4 2016)
EQMM - Feb 2015 / Abyss & Apex - Issue 50

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:33 am

Started my day with a molar extraction, so I'm ready for results wotf024

Joshua Essoe

Postby Joshua Essoe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:23 am

amoskalik wrote:The little birdies tend to be about a week premature on their predictions. You never know though, this one might be spot on. Tomorrow is Thursday.

Looks like the little birdie was an optimistic little birdie and got hung up with other little birdie birdie things.
Joshua Essoe
http://www.joshuaessoe.com
V28/29/30 - HM
V31 - Finalist Q2
V32 - Semi-finalist Q1
V33 - HM Q4

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:48 am

Joshua Essoe wrote:
amoskalik wrote:The little birdies tend to be about a week premature on their predictions. You never know though, this one might be spot on. Tomorrow is Thursday.

Looks like the little birdie was an optimistic little birdie and got hung up with other little birdie birdie things.

What with today being the deadline for Q3, I am emphatically *not* expecting any Q2 results. Joni always ends up swamped when the servers shut down early. (Again).

Maybe they won't this time? But I've been submitting for a few years now, and it seems quite reliable for there to be early server shutdowns.

wotf017
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 16, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:55 am

I saw someone report elsewhere of an early server shutdown, so....
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:12 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I saw someone report elsewhere of an early server shutdown, so....

Worked for me, eight minutes before close, if close is 5 p.m. PST. And that's a first! Joni is going to be so happy she doesn't have to hear from me this quarter. Technology WORKED.

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:59 pm

morshana wrote,
A little bird said by the end of the month. The 30th falls on a Thursday ...

Dirty lyin', no-good birdie.

morshana

Postby morshana » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm

kentagions wrote:morshana wrote,
A little bird said by the end of the month. The 30th falls on a Thursday ...

Dirty lyin', no-good birdie.

Look to joshua for the birdie trail. =)
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:58 pm

And another Thursday comes to a close... *sighs* wotf035
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

dstein

Postby dstein » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:34 pm

JeremySzal wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:

Quick note:

This is very true.

I've been thinking about this a lot—after the story I thought was fantastic was rejected in Q4, and after a story I never expected to win got first place this last Q1. I'm positive I couldn't game this system even if I wanted to.

That said...

While I've gotta keep this advice generic because my story still has to be judged anonymously at the end of the year, I'll wager you're on the right track if you're making some adjustments in your storytelling voice and choice of theme for the sake of the contest, while still writing a story which moves and involves you. And even then you're still kind of throwing darts blindfolded, but the fact that you're blindfolded frees you from having to aim, if that makes sense?
V32Q3: HM
V32Q4: R
V33Q1: First-Place Finalist

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:51 am

I asked Joni how long she thought it would be until results would come out for Q2 and she said three weeks. Now, Joni's notoriously bad for giving estimates, so I'm mentally translating that "three weeks" into "not for a while". So you can ease your twitching, for now.
Thomas K Carpenter

Ember

Postby Ember » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:14 am

Thanks for asking Thomas.

BUT!

THREE more weeks? Are you freaking kidding me? If that is really for the first round rejections, then I imagine we'll be looking at an additional 2 months before the winners are finalised. (So maybe September?)

How will they ever catch up with Q3 and 4 so that they can make it in time for the gala for next year???

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

Ember

Postby Ember » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:20 am

dstein wrote:
JeremySzal wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:
Quick note:

This is very true.

I've been thinking about this a lot—after the story I thought was fantastic was rejected in Q4, and after a story I never expected to win got first place this last Q1. I'm positive I couldn't game this system even if I wanted to.

That said...

While I've gotta keep this advice generic because my story still has to be judged anonymously at the end of the year, I'll wager you're on the right track if you're making some adjustments in your storytelling voice and choice of theme for the sake of the contest, while still writing a story which moves and involves you. And even then you're still kind of throwing darts blindfolded, but the fact that you're blindfolded frees you from having to aim, if that makes sense?

dstein, do you have s Q2 entry? You must be excited by the thought you could get a Q2 winner as well ... wotf015

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 am

Ember wrote:dstein, do you have s Q2 entry? You must be excited by the thought you could get a Q2 winner as well ... wotf015

When you win, you're automatically DQed from subsequent quarters I believe.

Ember

Postby Ember » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:30 am

amoskalik wrote:
Ember wrote:dstein, do you have s Q2 entry? You must be excited by the thought you could get a Q2 winner as well ... wotf015

Fair, I suppose, but disappointing. It takes away the chance for a certain kind of glory. And let's face it, we're all really here for the glory ...

ThomasKCarpenter

Postby ThomasKCarpenter » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 am

Ember wrote:Thanks for asking Thomas.

BUT!

THREE more weeks? Are you freaking kidding me? If that is really for the first round rejections, then I imagine we'll be looking at an additional 2 months before the winners are finalised. (So maybe September?)

How will they ever catch up with Q3 and 4 so that they can make it in time for the gala for next year???

There have been a few quarters that the results have come out in one big wave. Rare, but not without precedent.
Thomas K Carpenter

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Three weeks or so????

Maybe that little birdie got the month wrong.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:18 pm

ThomasKCarpenter wrote:I asked Joni how long she thought it would be until results would come out for Q2 and she said three weeks.

It shows that the judges and everyone involved in the process are busy people (and perhaps this might not be the only thing they do in their busy lives), and one thing is clear: we will hear in the fullness of time wotf008 .

I'm sure we'll hear as soon as they can advise us, and it might even be on a Thursday, so until then I'm back to writing my next quarter story, and if need be the one after that, because for me that is the value of this competition in the long term - developing my skills as a writer, winning or not.
8 HMs.

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:12 pm

dstein wrote:
JeremySzal wrote:
KD Julicher wrote:
Quick note:

This is very true.

That said...

Yeah, I absolutely am. I'm still writing the story I want to write, but I did tweak it and edit and write a story that I knew would appeal to Dave, while still keeping my own artistic integrity. It's about playing it smart. I love Silent Hill slash Stephen King-esque small town horror with a big red splatter of blood on the cover, but I'm not going to have a hope in hell of winning if I write and submit that.

...in saying that, my Q3 2015 Finalist went against every rule. Granted it was military SF, but it was dark, very voice driven, very cynical, action was kept to a minimum, and the story ended with the first-person narrator being given the "And I Must Scream" treatment, unable to even kill himself. I thought I'd get a rejection off the bat, but snagged finalist.

So who knows?
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:50 pm

I tried to put in techniques that David said he likes. And leave out a couple he said he didn't like. But the story itself I don't know he would like or not. Not horror or even a thriller-speaking of King-not space opera.

I tried to add small differences in the plot to try for originality like he likes but I don't know if I succeeded. Or if they would be enough. Then again I did all of the with the story with lazy writing so wotf017

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

dstein

Postby dstein » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:45 pm

Ember wrote:
amoskalik wrote:

Fair, I suppose, but disappointing. It takes away the chance for a certain kind of glory. And let's face it, we're all really here for the glory ...

For me it was one big glaring white box without a checkmark. Sure, I thought I'd never see that box checked; but to at least throw my hat in that ring I only had to write up a story every quarter and submit it. A more bite-sized goal than finishing and revising my novel.

So being disqualified for future quarters is actually a tremendous relief in a way, but I've struggled to find a way of saying so which doesn't sound like I'm ragging on the contest. It's a personal thing. Getting second or third or eighth or semifinalist would have been fantastic, but being disqualified really satisfies the part of my brain that likes to "finish" something and set it aside.

Not that I've "finished" anything. I'll have to be more ambitious than that mindset allows in order to really make this a career.
V32Q3: HM
V32Q4: R
V33Q1: First-Place Finalist

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:58 am

I had a dream last night that I won 3rd place here.

And then I realized I didn't remember which story it was for.

And that Joni had never called me to tell me I was finalist.

Darn rationalizing brain can't even enjoy figmentary success.
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 6. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:55 am

(Shuffles back in to the forum, bleary-eyed having flown in from Bordeaux in the middle of the night, quite unable to adjust to the time difference and still barely conscious.)

Okay, most parts of me have returned from holiday. All except my brain which got held up in France by an Air Traffic Control strike. Can anybody tell me if it's Thursday in this part of the world? In any part of the world? Does anybody know what part of the world I'm actually in today?

I shall check back in after I wake up. wotf013
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 am

Ishmael wrote:(Shuffles back in to the forum, bleary-eyed having flown in from Bordeaux in the middle of the night, quite unable to adjust to the time difference and still barely conscious.)

Okay, most parts of me have returned from holiday. All except my brain which got held up in France by an Air Traffic Control strike. Can anybody tell me if it's Thursday in this part of the world? In any part of the world? Does anybody know what part of the world I'm actually in today?

I shall check back in after I wake up. wotf013

Well, If it's Thursday it most be Belgium,which means they let you out in the wrong country-or did you escape in the wrong country?

But if it is Thursday in your part of the world I know not.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”