Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
LaurieG

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Postby LaurieG » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:24 pm

KD Julicher wrote:I've heard of another (private group). Also that they were given the all-clear to announce. I don't want to be a total downer but I'm assuming the finalists have all been notified.

Well crap and a half. But again, this is the story I thought would probably come in at HM. When will us last day-ers finally learn our doom?? wotf004
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

orp204

Postby orp204 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:12 am

I'm out of the country and unable to receive phone calls. So I guess I can hold out hope that I was called? Probably they would have emailed though if they were unable to get in touch with me. So I'm assuming I'm in the batch of last day rejects.

-Olivia (3 previous entries - all HMs, waiting to hear on Q2 and Q3)

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:23 am

orp204 wrote:I'm out of the country and unable to receive phone calls. So I guess I can hold out hope that I was called? Probably they would have emailed though if they were unable to get in touch with me. So I'm assuming I'm in the batch of last day rejects.

-Olivia (3 previous entries - all HMs, waiting to hear on Q2 and Q3)

Joni emailed me about making finalist when she couldn't work out the international codes to dial my phone number. So I fear you may be correct.

I think the reasoning behind not releasing numbers of entrants is that they don't want to put anyone off. i.e. "oh, I'd have no chance against those thousands of people". Can't remember where I heard that though.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:19 am

MattDovey wrote:I think the reasoning behind not releasing numbers of entrants is that they don't want to put anyone off. i.e. "oh, I'd have no chance against those thousands of people". Can't remember where I heard that though.

You're right Matt, I remember actual asking Joni the number of entries back in Q4 of 2015. She told me that they don't tell the number because it's a bit daunting and might scare people off.

Then again, it got around that she told the winners of Q4 that it was the largest ever, at over 8,000 entries...!
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 am

Mind boggling stats there.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:30 am

Yeah... who wants to hear the odds that WOTF is as hard as every pro market now to get into? WOTF (like Clarkesworld) accepts 1 story out of every 1000. wotf005

ETA: Meant to say WOTF is harder in some ways. Clarkesworld gets about 1k submissions a month and accepts 1 story a month. WOTF gets 8k and takes in 8 Finalists, but only 3 get published. *sigh* So odds of getting into WOTF is 0.037%.
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:03 am

morshana wrote:Yeah... who wants to hear the odds that WOTF is as hard as every pro market now to get into? WOTF (like Clarkesworld) accepts 1 story out of every 1000. wotf005

ETA: Meant to say WOTF is harder in some ways. Clarkesworld gets about 1k submissions a month and accepts 1 story a month. WOTF gets 8k and takes in 8 Finalists, but only 3 get published. *sigh* So odds of getting into WOTF is 0.037%.

True, but with the entrants being limited to non-pro folks, it means there should be a better chance for a skilled writer, who would not be competing for the same spot with folks who have been selling pro for a while (as they would at Clarkesworld, etc.).
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:17 am

Rebecca Birch wrote:
morshana wrote:Yeah... who wants to hear the odds that WOTF is as hard as every pro market now to get into? WOTF (like Clarkesworld) accepts 1 story out of every 1000. wotf005

True, but with the entrants being limited to non-pro folks, it means there should be a better chance for a skilled writer, who would not be competing for the same spot with folks who have been selling pro for a while (as they would at Clarkesworld, etc.).

All true, but we have to be writing at a Pro level to have a chance. Because WOTF entrants are allowed to have up to 4 pro sales before they are disqualified. We aren't competing with as many pro writers, but the pros are at the top here. More kudos to all the Finalists and SFs! wotf010

It's about finding that sweet spot for what Dave (as judge) wants to see. wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:46 am

morshana wrote:All true, but we have to be writing at a Pro level to have a chance. Because WOTF entrants are allowed to have up to 4 pro sales before they are disqualified. We aren't competing with as many pro writers, but the pros are at the top here. More kudos to all the Finalists and SFs! wotf010

It's about finding that sweet spot for what Dave (as judge) wants to see. wotf007

Hey, I got in with my first sale, having never sold to anything to anyone before. Don't count yourself out :)

And FWIW I believe the 8k figure was total entrants for V32 over all four quarters; I think it got bandied about as just the Q4 figure at some point but it's more in line with other figures (including scaling up the HM percentage) if that was the annual total. So it's 13 stories published out of 8000 entered, which is four times the odds above; and if you enter all four quarters, it's four times that.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

morshana

Postby morshana » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:59 pm

MattDovey wrote:
morshana wrote:All true, but we have to be writing at a Pro level to have a chance. Because WOTF entrants are allowed to have up to 4 pro sales before they are disqualified. We aren't competing with as many pro writers, but the pros are at the top here. More kudos to all the Finalists and SFs! wotf010

Hey, I got in with my first sale, having never sold to anything to anyone before. Don't count yourself out :)

And FWIW I believe the 8k figure was total entrants for V32 over all four quarters; I think it got bandied about as just the Q4 figure at some point but it's more in line with other figures (including scaling up the HM percentage) if that was the annual total. So it's 13 stories published out of 8000 entered, which is four times the odds above; and if you enter all four quarters, it's four times that.

Yep!! That's totally true that people get in on their first try, which is awesome and a good thing to keep in mind. Again it's all about having that sweet spot that dave is looking for, which is the same with any market. Just gotta keep writing and submitting and hoping for the best. wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Here comes Thursday and some of us don't know our status. Is tomorrow the day the hammer strikes. I hope so. I just want to know.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:08 pm

storysinger wrote:Here comes Thursday and some of us don't know our status. Is tomorrow the day the hammer strikes. I hope so. I just want to know.

I'm with you wotf004
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:24 pm

storysinger wrote:Here comes Thursday and some of us don't know our status. Is tomorrow the day the hammer strikes. I hope so. I just want to know.

Indeed. Since it looks like Finalists have been notified, I'd also like to know where I stand.

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:47 pm

LaurieG wrote:
Indeed. Since it looks like Finalists have been notified, I'd also like to know where I stand.

Really? Funny, I've not been told anything yet. wotf011

Kidding aside, I agree it will be good to know where one has landed.
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

orp204

Postby orp204 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 am

Related comment. Has anybody else here ever submitted to Tor? I sent them a story back in December before they cut off submissions and my status still says "in progress" 8 months later. Should I move on and submit somewhere else? Talk about a long wait. wotf004

-Olivia (3 Time HM)

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:38 am

orp204 wrote:Related comment. Has anybody else here ever submitted to Tor? I sent them a story back in December before they cut off submissions and my status still says "in progress" 8 months later. Should I move on and submit somewhere else? Talk about a long wait. wotf004

-Olivia (3 Time HM)

Latest activity for Tor on The Grinder shows rejections between 241 and 256 days. I'm on 255 and counting.
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:25 am

Ishmael wrote:
orp204 wrote:Related comment. Has anybody else here ever submitted to Tor? I sent them a story back in December before they cut off submissions and my status still says "in progress" 8 months later. Should I move on and submit somewhere else? Talk about a long wait. wotf004

-Olivia (3 Time HM)

Latest activity for Tor on The Grinder shows rejections between 241 and 256 days. I'm on 255 and counting.

I think I remember their submission guidelines saying that if you haven't heard back from them in 9 months, you should query. I think it was 9 months... wotf005
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:37 am

I think I'll just write off V33Q2 as a loss and send my story elsewhere. wotf004
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Have any last date entrants heard anything yet?
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Randy Hulshizer wrote:I think I'll just write off V33Q2 as a loss and send my story elsewhere. wotf004

I keep thinking I'll do that, and then I say "I'll wait until they announce the list of finalists or the winners" At least I do know where its going next.
Silver Honorable Mention: 2
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

alpha

Postby alpha » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:45 pm

I submitted a few to Tor.com back when one could. I don't remember exact wait times, but it was always long. I'd say 8 months is within the normal range there. It's long as hell, but hey, they pay $0.25 per word, so they sort of buy the right to take as long as they want.

That said, I don't think a polite query would be out of line after 8 months.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:13 pm

reigheena wrote:
Randy Hulshizer wrote:I think I'll just write off V33Q2 as a loss and send my story elsewhere. wotf004

I keep thinking I'll do that, and then I say "I'll wait until they announce the list of finalists or the winners" At least I do know where its going next.

I'm honestly not sure if they ever released the list of finalists or winners for Q1 . . .

I do hope things get resolved quickly for folks still waiting on Q2.
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:17 pm

wotf052 wotf050 wotf027
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:28 pm

OldDarth wrote:Have any last date entrants heard anything yet?

Not me.

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Maybe you could email Joni first, see if she'll check the status.

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Joshua Essoe

Postby Joshua Essoe » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:45 pm

LaurieG wrote:

Not me.

Not me either. Is it just me or is this the longest results wait ever?
Joshua Essoe
http://www.joshuaessoe.com
V28/29/30 - HM
V31 - Finalist Q2
V32 - Semi-finalist Q1
V33 - HM Q4

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:13 am

I emailed Joni twice this week with no response. Sigh.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Why are some giving up, submitting an active story elsewhere, and emailing Joni about their status when the results have not yet been posted? It ain't over 'til it's over. Period.

~Moon~

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Having never gotten above HM (though I do feel strongly about this story) and knowing that stories can get lost anyway, and the way we submitted leaves it even more likely for it to get lost, and that there are only 6 spots for finalist left, and that its been long enough that if Joni really wanted to contact me to say I was a finalist, she should have been able to track down the info, leaves me thinking it is more likely that my story is lost than still in contention. (How's that for a runon? ;) )

I wouldn't feel bad if any hidden finalists on the forum want to decloak and decrease the odds of me being a finalist.
Silver Honorable Mention: 2
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Joshua Essoe wrote:
LaurieG wrote:

Not me.

Not me either. Is it just me or is this the longest results wait ever?

I waited longer for Finalist judging the second time. The mother of one of the Finalist judges died, and it added even more time to the already long wait.

Seeing as others have already emailed Joni, I'll hold off.

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”