Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Dustin Adams

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:01 am

I don't have a gun to hand to test--Brit, yo--

Do we have any past winners from Texas?
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

guthington

Postby guthington » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 am

reigheena wrote:From Facebook:

We are very happy to announce the second quarter winners for Writers of the Future, to be published in volume 33. Congratulations!!!
Doug Souza from Modesto, CA
Emeka Dinjos (Walter Dinjos is his pen name) from Nigeria. NOTE: this is the first winner ever from this country!
Stephen Lawson from Louisville, KY

Congrats!

wotf010 Wow! A winner from Nigeria. That explains why it took so long to find out about the finalists, etc. wotf042 Congratulations to everyone from HM on up! Does this mean everyone knows their fate for this quarter?
Amy [url]http:lapatrick.com[/url]

guthington

Postby guthington » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:02 am

guthington wrote:
reigheena wrote:From Facebook:

We are very happy to announce the second quarter winners for Writers of the Future, to be published in volume 33. Congratulations!!!
Doug Souza from Modesto, CA
Emeka Dinjos (Walter Dinjos is his pen name) from Nigeria. NOTE: this is the first winner ever from this country!
Stephen Lawson from Louisville, KY

Congrats!

wotf010 Wow! A winner from Nigeria. That explains why it took so long to find out about the finalists, etc. wotf040 (edit... the second smilie is supposed to be the toasting one... one well) Congratulations to everyone from HM on up! Does this mean everyone knows their fate for this quarter?
wotf047
Amy [url]http:lapatrick.com[/url]

Athena

Postby Athena » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:55 am

Oh fantastic! I'm thrilled to see a writer coming from so far away and from a country that's never before had an author selected! Yay representation!
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:55 am

MattDovey wrote:
Dustan Moon wrote:
LaurieG wrote:Thanks, Dustan. What's a lexan?

Polycarbonate. Thermoplastic polymers containing carbonate groups in their chemical structures. It's the trade name for what the Golden Pen award is probably made from. In other words, very hard plastic. I doubt a small caliber bullet could penetrate a Golden Pen Award, but we could ask Matt to test my theory. : )

I don't have a gun to hand to test--Brit, yo--but I am willing to bet that when all our cities have crumbled, when our descendants have all fled to the stars and only the beasts still walk the dry, shattered plains of the broken Earth, that the WotF trophies will still be standing. Those things are heavy. No, heavier than that. Bit more. There you go.

I'd also lay money on the last words whispering across the continents being "You are cordially invited to the gala..."

LOL. I thought you'd float to the surface of this thread if I cast that lure out there, Matt. Fish on! : )

I hope no one ever trips walking off the stage with the Golden Pen in hand, you could impale a rhino with that thing!

Cheers,

~Moon~

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Just FYI,
I think DStein's first name is Dustin.

So, I should win this year.
As should Dustan.

We'd blow everyone's mind!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM

Athena

Postby Athena » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:03 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Just FYI,

It is, and it's super embarrassing if you don't realize that and confuse the WOTF Dustins. Thankfully, he's very kind, and I'm mostly going to blame the whole thing on the wine. wotf002 WorldCon was a hoot!

dcsouza

Postby dcsouza » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:26 pm

I have to confess to being a longtime lurker on the forum. I gleaned a lot of helpful tips that helped with the 1st place win. My first WotF entry was straight R. I got a silver after that and thought I was hot stuff. This all started seven years ago. I ended up with 3 R's, 8 HM's, 2 SHM's, 1 semi, 1 finalist, and then the win (not in that order). My finalist came three years ago right when I landed my first pro-sale with Asimov's--so again, I thought I was on my way. This current win came after a 3 year drought from the markets where I couldn't even land a semi-pro sale for some reason (talk about thinking you lost your mojo!).

Anyway, my point is, I was hit pretty hard on the way (as I know a lot of you can relate), so I hope anyone who reads this gives their next entry some good vibes and gets back to enjoying writing.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:39 am

dcsouza wrote:I have to confess to being a longtime lurker on the forum. I gleaned a lot of helpful tips that helped with the 1st place win. My first WotF entry was straight R. I got a silver after that and thought I was hot stuff. This all started seven years ago. I ended up with 3 R's, 8 HM's, 2 SHM's, 1 semi, 1 finalist, and then the win (not in that order). My finalist came three years ago right when I landed my first pro-sale with Asimov's--so again, I thought I was on my way. This current win came after a 3 year drought from the markets where I couldn't even land a semi-pro sale for some reason (talk about thinking you lost your mojo!).

Anyway, my point is, I was hit pretty hard on the way (as I know a lot of you can relate), so I hope anyone who reads this gives their next entry some good vibes and gets back to enjoying writing.

Congrats Doug! Your persistence is an inspiration.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Athena

Postby Athena » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:59 am

dcsouza wrote:I have to confess to being a longtime lurker on the forum. I gleaned a lot of helpful tips that helped with the 1st place win. My first WotF entry was straight R. I got a silver after that and thought I was hot stuff. This all started seven years ago. I ended up with 3 R's, 8 HM's, 2 SHM's, 1 semi, 1 finalist, and then the win (not in that order). My finalist came three years ago right when I landed my first pro-sale with Asimov's--so again, I thought I was on my way. This current win came after a 3 year drought from the markets where I couldn't even land a semi-pro sale for some reason (talk about thinking you lost your mojo!).

You know, hearing this really helps me. I haven't had a sale at all yet, pro or otherwise, and it can be kind of a downer sometimes. I really appreciate your reminder to keep on going. That 3 years had to be brutal, and I think it speaks a lot to your professionalism and dedication that you kept on keeping on.

dcsouza

Postby dcsouza » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:18 am

My Asimov's sale was an HM and my semi-finalist and finalist story didn't sell at all during that 3 year drought. For a while I was tempted to query the publishers and asked if I had done something to get myself blacklisted.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:37 am

Congrats, Doug!
25% chance of GOLD. wotf011

I went, I think, 4 years between finalists? Something like that.

But you won, and you're done. Awesome!
Have a blast in LA. wotf009
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM

hazlett

Postby hazlett » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Congrats, Doug!

Welcome to the club! wotf009
Sean Patrick Hazlett
Winner (2nd Place)
HM x 8
Stories sold: 29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can purchase a copy of my anthology at Amazon or Smashwords.

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Dustin Adams wrote:Just FYI,

So, I should win this year.
As should Dustan.

We'd blow everyone's mind!

That's 3 Ds. I'm all for winning in 3D. See you there, fellow Dusty people! : )

Conga rats to the winners as well. The comments are good reminders that a writing career is a marathon, not a sprint, but there are good rewards to those that KEEP MOVING FORWARD.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Congrats to all the winners.
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Congratulations to the winners. Well done, can't wait to read your stories.

Received my Q2 HM certificate in the mail today. Joni's catching up fast.

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:08 pm

Congratz Doug (and good to see you again!) You're an incredibly sharp writer and you deserve getting this position very much. Thanks for the encouragement - hopefully I'll see you in person if I end up placing in any of the other quarters. ;)
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:14 am

Congrats to the winners!!! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010

And I also got my HM ceritficate today! Yay!
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:40 am

Most inspiring and kudos on your perseverance!
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:09 am

Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”