Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
KD Julicher

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q2 - Volume 33

Postby KD Julicher » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:30 am

Saw on Facebook so I guess it's official: non-winning finalists have been notified for Q2.

Time to start twitching for Q3!
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Randy Hulshizer wrote:Just received my R from Joni. Full message:

Dear Randy,

Sorry for the delay. Your story did not place for the 2nd quarter.

But I am happy to tell you that I finally sent out your certificate for your 4th quarter yesterday!!!!!

Do you have anything submitted for the 3rd or 4th quarter? You will not have much of a wait time-wise on those.

Best,
Joni Labaqui
Author Services, Inc.

Certificates are going out? I was wondering if we'd ever see those. Oh but that's for Q4. [sigh] I guess we still have to wait a while for Q1 and Q2.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

orp204

Postby orp204 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:15 pm

I still haven't heard back from my query. But I guess it looks like an R at this point...

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:50 am

Now I'm thoroughly confused... wotf021 Yesterday, I received an email from Joni saying my story "did not place" in the 2nd quarter. Last night I received a standard HM congratulations notice asking if I want a certificate:

Dear Randy,

Congratulations - received Honorable Mention for the 2nd quarter of the Writers of the Future contest.

Would you like a certificate?

Hmm... I will need to verify this, but it seems I've received an HM after all instead of an R. wotf017
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:46 am

At least you've heard something. I still wonder why I'm hearing nothing.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:10 am

Storysinger,
I'd recommend querying at this point.

I did yesterday and received this:

Dear Dustin,
Did I tell you recently on the other e-mail address that your story made Honorable Mention?
I'm assuming you want the cert! and that you haven't moved recently.

So if any Guessomancers had me for HM, you win a point! wotf011
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:45 am

I also got a second email saying that I got honorable mention instead of just "did not place" At least I feel a bit better that my edits didn't make my story worse!
Silver Honorable Mention: 3
Honorable Mentions: 6. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:23 am

Dustin Adams wrote:
So if any Guessomancers had me for HM, you win a point!

I'm never Guessomancy-ing again.

I guessed five good prospects for Finalist, thinking that if I got two, I'd be the big winner (Because, of course, it's all about me;)), but now I'm thinking I have some sort of cursed touch (You're all thinking it. I'm just the first to share my miserable, Magical Thinking suspicions with anyone.).

So, after prematurely congratulating the winner. Death to Guessomancy! wotf024 wotf044

I've got enough monsters in my closet. I don't want to be one of them.
Closets are small.

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:51 pm

I got the standard HM notice and certificate request yesterday as well. Even in this messed up quarter, it came on a Thursday. Coincidence? (Plays The Outer Limits theme song). You be the judge. : )

Conga rats to all that entered, and a special cha cha cha to those that got a nod from Dave with special honors. Best wishes to the finalists...you are all winners, and now it's just a matter of what flavor the judges this quarter want to scoop into their bowls.

Cheers!

~Moon~

orp204

Postby orp204 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:51 pm

I got an HM as well. That makes me 4 for 4. Anybody have any suggestions for breaking through. I feel like my writing keeps improving. But I keep getting HMs no matter how I feel about my submissions.

-Olivia

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:02 pm

I queried Joni today, she responded.
wotf056

I've never had one of those yet, since they're relatively new. It used to just be R, HM, Quarter-Finalist (Thankfully re-named Semi to sidestep the confusion) and Finalist.

Since I expected ah HM, a SHM is pretty good.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:12 pm

LaurieG wrote:I queried Joni today, she responded.
wotf056

I've never had one of those yet, since they're relatively new. It used to just be R, HM, Quarter-Finalist (Thankfully re-named Semi to sidestep the confusion) and Finalist.

Since I expected ah HM, a SHM is pretty good.

Conga rats on your Silver, Laurie! I hope your next is a lexan!

~Moon~

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks, Dustan. What's a lexan?

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Randy Hulshizer wrote:Now I'm thoroughly confused... wotf021 Yesterday, I received an email from Joni saying my story "did not place" in the 2nd quarter. Last night I received a standard HM congratulations notice asking if I want a certificate:

Dear Randy,

Congratulations - received Honorable Mention for the 2nd quarter of the Writers of the Future contest.

Would you like a certificate?

Hmm... I will need to verify this, but it seems I've received an HM after all instead of an R. wotf017

Turns out, I had inadvertently submitted my story twice by sending it to Joni's two email addresses. The HM was real. The "did not place" referred to the duplicate submission.

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:25 pm

That's a better answer than "Dave liked it better the second time around". Hee.
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:29 pm

LaurieG wrote:Thanks, Dustan. What's a lexan?

Polycarbonate. Thermoplastic polymers containing carbonate groups in their chemical structures. It's the trade name for what the Golden Pen award is probably made from. In other words, very hard plastic. I doubt a small caliber bullet could penetrate a Golden Pen Award, but we could ask Matt to test my theory. : )

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:47 am

Dustan Moon wrote:

Polycarbonate. Thermoplastic polymers containing carbonate groups in their chemical structures. It's the trade name for what the Golden Pen award is probably made from. In other words, very hard plastic. I doubt a small caliber bullet could penetrate a Golden Pen Award, but we could ask Matt to test my theory. : )

Oh boy! In that case I'll take lexan over silver!

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:57 am

So that's all quite clear now?

Congratulations to all those who got HM &/or SHM &/or finalist &/or free flights to Mars &/or who understood what has been going on.

That's it then.

Unless of course you know different? wotf011

Oh, and Olivia, getting four consecutive HM's puts you in the top 3%. I have this on VERY good authority.

Also, since HMs cover about a hundred places you can easily be improving each time and not yet reaching the top of the HM layer.

In addition to which you have to hit the sweet spot of whatever Dave's taste happens to fancy each time in order to balance the overall content of the anthology.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 10 x HM, WotF batting average .565
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:15 pm

I am placing this here even though technically it belongs almost a year ago.

I received a HM certificate yesterday. Thought it would be for Q2 V33 but nope it's for Q4 V2 by the title of the story.

By Jodi's comments about Q2 I thought it sounded like they may have forgotten Q4 but evidently I misinterpreted what she said.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:58 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:I am placing this here even though technically it belongs almost a year ago.

I received a HM certificate yesterday. Thought it would be for Q2 V33 but nope it's for Q4 V2 by the title of the story.

By Jodi's comments about Q2 I thought it sounded like they may have forgotten Q4 but evidently I misinterpreted what she said.

Got my HM certificate as well for Q4 V32. Still waiting for subsequent ones, she's just behind on them. It would indeed be a miracle--maybe not at the level of walking on water, but pretty close--to expect Q2 certificates right now. What alternate universe do you live in? : )

Cheers,

Moon

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:38 am

Joni said this about Q2 certs:

In a week and half I will send it.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
8x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:51 am

Same here. I got my Q4 2015 certificate yesterday. Joni mentioned to me in an email that she is behind and will be working on Q1 2016 and Q2 2016 soon, and that our wait for those quarters will not be as long.

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:55 am

Yep, got the very same email.
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:32 am

I haven't recieved any emails, but my certificate is waiting at my PO box, so I have to wait until the 4 day weekend is over to get it... wotf020 wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

rharp

Postby rharp » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:46 am

Got my Q4 certificate in the mail yesterday, too. wotf008
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:46 pm

orp204 wrote:I got an HM as well. That makes me 4 for 4. Anybody have any suggestions for breaking through. I feel like my writing keeps improving. But I keep getting HMs no matter how I feel about my submissions.

-Olivia

I am in the same boat as you, but. Dave had a daily kick on this topic. Here is part of what he said:

There are four simple reasons why a story may not rise above Honorable Mention.

1. The idea for the story isn’t particularly fresh or interesting. You may not realize it, but the basic concept of your story has probably been done before. For example, let’s say that you decide to write a story about “Zombie Sharecroppers.” Great. You might write it beautifully, and I might get through the entire tale and enjoy it. But ultimately I have to look at it and ask, “Is the basic tenet of the story fresh and original? Did the author give it a surprise twist that lifted it above similar stories?” If the answer to both of those questions is no, then it will probably not get higher than an Honorable Mention. You’ll need to come at me next time with a fresh idea.

2. If the idea is good, then it may be that your execution is off. Very often I’ll get stories where the idea intrigues me and the story is written pretty well, but the author still has a few problems. Maybe the author uses too many weak verbs, or has word repetitions. I had one a couple of days ago that was set in Haiti, and while interesting, nothing about the characters' voices suggested that the author had ever listened closely to a Haitian. The accents just weren’t right. A couple of persistent little bugs like this will put you in the Honorable Mention category.

3. The story may have plotting problems. Very often I’ll have a story whose concept is good and the writing is beautiful, but the plot just doesn’t work. Usually it has a good opening (that’s why I got hooked), but perhaps the middle of the story is weak, or the ending doesn’t quite pan out.

I got a beautiful story last week, told in first-person. But the plot only worked because the author withheld information from the reader. Does the story work? Well, only if you don’t think about it too much. The author’s style and tone were exceptional in many ways, but I’m not sure that it should win the contest. I wasn’t even sure if it should be a finalist.

So when plotting your story, make certain that its plot is logical, that it builds with each try-fail cycle, and that you have a powerful ending that leaves the reader thinking and emotionally moved.

4. The story has missing elements. This is the most frequent problem, and the hardest to solve.

For instance, when I finish a story, I want it to have some universality. I want to understand why this story is important for others to read. In other words, “Does this story have a message?” Sometimes, the answer is no, and that usually means that it won’t hold up well in a competition.

Those missing elements can be a lot of things. Sometimes I’ll have a story where only one character is involved. There’s no interaction. As a judge, I have to wonder why? Why didn’t the author put in a sidekick, someone to talk to in order to make this more engaging?

Usually the author is blind to his or her own missing element. Some authors, for example, forget to describe what is off in the distance (a line of mountains, a roiling sea). Others forget to describe the middle-ground (a golden pyramid with a congregation of Egyptian slaves and merchants bowing to the god-king at its peak). So when you read their stories, the protagonist is often bumping into characters that seem to come out of nowhere.

In other stories, the author forgets to engage the senses.A lack of smells or touch is the largest problem.

Still other authors have no internal dialog, so that you never know what their character is thinking or feeling. Instead, the author writes in a cinematic style that keeps the reader at a distance. In such tales, the reader might as well be watching a poorly made movie.

Frequently I see stories that just don’t have enough conflicts, or the conflicts that they do have aren’t dealt with as rigorously as they should be.

Or maybe your opening doesn’t have a hook.

Or maybe your descriptions aren’t crisp enough, or your characters feel a bit flat and stereotypical, or your language isn’t fresh or beautiful.

Hope that helps!
Other published works

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:I am placing this here even though technically it belongs almost a year ago.

Got my HM certificate as well for Q4 V32. Still waiting for subsequent ones, she's just behind on them. It would indeed be a miracle--maybe not at the level of walking on water, but pretty close--to expect Q2 certificates right now. What alternate universe do you live in? : )

Cheers,

Moon

Responding to you and Randy,

The last E-mail I received from her concerning HM certificates stated that she would be sending out Q2 soon. Nothing for the one I received. Could be I read her E-mail too quickly and thought it said something it didn't. Or my eyes turned Q4 into Q2. But as far as I think I haven't gotten anything for Q4 15 since they original E-mails asking if I wanted one. I said yes and she said something about sending them out. Then this one that mentioned Q2 of 16. Which is why I thought they may have forgotten about Q4's.

I really didn't expect Q2's so soon from what has been said here about certificates but then the E-mail that said soon. And soon is when I received Q4's instead, which meant she hadn't forgotten about it after all.

As I said maybe I misread her E-mail or she just forgot to mention that I would receiving Q4's Very Soon.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:41 am

Congrats to all the late results. Onward to Q3!
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

reigheena

Postby reigheena » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:59 pm

From Facebook:

We are very happy to announce the second quarter winners for Writers of the Future, to be published in volume 33. Congratulations!!!
Doug Souza from Modesto, CA
Emeka Dinjos (Walter Dinjos is his pen name) from Nigeria. NOTE: this is the first winner ever from this country!
Stephen Lawson from Louisville, KY

Congrats!
Other published works

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:54 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:

I don't have a gun to hand to test--Brit, yo--but I am willing to bet that when all our cities have crumbled, when our descendants have all fled to the stars and only the beasts still walk the dry, shattered plains of the broken Earth, that the WotF trophies will still be standing. Those things are heavy. No, heavier than that. Bit more. There you go.

I'd also lay money on the last words whispering across the continents being "You are cordially invited to the gala..."
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”