Merlin the Magacian

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
lukelove

Merlin the Magacian

Postby lukelove » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Here's a question...as far as I can tell the character Merlin the magician, is public domain-correct me if I am wrong on that-and there is a scene in a story I am writing with a wandering mysterious wizard (like) character. I know it lacks imagination, but it just seems like such a nice fit for him to introduce himself as Merlin. I'd leave out magician, It's also a story aimed at a lower age group, 12 years and up I think. Any thoughts???

orbivillein

Re: Merlin the Magacian

Postby orbivillein » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:13 am

Merlin Ambrosius dates to Geoffrey of Monmouth's 1136 Historia Regum Britanniae, source of the Arthurian legends, and is a conflation of earlier still British legends and myths that predate the Arthurian legends. Public domain, yes. Mortal sire and incubus dam, the latter from which Merlin's magical abilities derived.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 am

If Sherlock Holmes is public domain (and he is), Merlin most certainly is.

Is it cheesy? Yes. But if your market is ~12yo, I think that can work. Too young to be tired of the trope, young enough to be excited by seeing a reference they might get, is my gut instinct.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:25 am

Myrddin Wyllt is a substantial figure in Welsh and Celtic poetry independent of the Arthurian legend into which he was merged under the name of Merlin.

He may or may not be identical with the wild man called Lailoken who was converted by Kentigern, the sixth century missionary. The names are sometimes used interchangeably.

He may also have been a bard or adviser to the Brythonic king Gwenddolau who was defeated in 573. This disaster is supposed to have driven Myrddin mad.

I have Myrddin in one of my stories, but I haven't managed to sell it yet!
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 8 x HM, WotF batting average .500
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”