Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ivy Fairhaven

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 33

Postby Ivy Fairhaven » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:46 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:Decided on what story to send. I have already written it even though not revised it yet.

I wrote it for another market and usually I would have time to send it in and get it back to send to WotF but they are closed and seem to have switched from a certain month to reopen to whenever. Unless of course my mind is playing tricks with me again. And it was another market that was suppose to reopen this month.

Only thing I will say about this story is that it is darker and grittier than my usual. I have written a couple of other stories like that but only a couple. And I need to tweak a couple of sections for Dave, not to mention the whole revising thing.

No glittering purple flying mini unicorns in it though.

However I have joked about stories with that in them so long I now want to do one for real. I have the basic idea in mind, probably with a little tweaking on that plot. I thought I would never send it to WotF but someone else could have copied the idea or come up with it on their own. Beyond that basic character(s) in the story I haven't said what it is about. Nor have I said if they are the MC or very minor character(s) or in-between. Not for this quarter though.

The world would be a better place with more stories featuring Unicorns
SHM x1
HM x3
R x1

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:51 am

I am not sure where the best place to ask this question is. So, if I should move it, let me know.
wotf021

I have at least 3 different emails for Joni. I want to write and ask her a question about resubmitting. Does anyone know the best address to use for a general question?

In addition, I could use advice from all of you. Joni mentioned that writers can resubmitted stories with some revision. But when is that no longer acceptable? Or is there a cut off?

Resubmit Rejections? Honorable Mentions? Semi-Finalist where you received commentary for revisions?

I have have turned in new stories and have another new one I am working on for this quarter, but there is an older one that I am still quite fond of that I have made revisions on and have considered re-submitting, since Joni mentioned. But I do not want to be a pest to Dave.
wotf051

Anyway, I better get back on the work at hand. Good Luck to all of you.
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:00 am

My understanding is you can resubmit anything other than semifinalists and finalists.
I've only done so once. I resubmitted an HM that I thought I made better, and received a very early round R for it the second time out. Other people have had different experiences with resubmissions. Given that everything is anonymous, it can't hurt if you don't have anything better to send.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:56 am

I've been on both ends of the spectrum. One time I submitted a story that got an Honorable Mention 2 years earlier by Dave, and got a straight rejection. On the other hand, I also submitted a story that got a rejection in the previous quarter and it went on to get an Honorable Mention. I vaguely remember something about a person who had a rejected story go on to become a Finalist, but I believe that was before Dave took over as judge. Even so going from R to finalist is rare, and probably required a lot of rewrite. My best advice I think is to just write something new. Seeing as how I have done it both ways I can't say for sure if Dave recognized my stories and that's why he decided on the HM or R, but unless you can really pin down where your story went wrong it's probably best to write something new. That's why Semis can't submit their story again, since you get a critique you'd have an unfair advantage. With HM and R it's only your best guess as to where the story went wrong, so it makes it a lot harder to get it to that Finalist level.
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank you both. wotf008
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:12 pm

Ivy Fairhaven wrote:The world would be a better place with more stories featuring Unicorns

In which case I need to write that story.

But I just happened to have a unicorn in my next Indie novel. A small but very important role. It's second to my Above My Pay Grade which most here may not have read.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:39 pm

How many times a day/hour can you refresh a page to check on a response to a story before it can be categorized as obsessive/compulsive?

Just asking

For a friend
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:03 pm

This will be an interesting quarter for me. I already have a story almost complete and another half way done. No more last day subs for me.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:24 pm

JVAshley wrote:How many times a day/hour can you refresh a page to check on a response to a story before it can be categorized as obsessive/compulsive?

Just asking

For a friend

This may not be a good place to ask that question.

Most everyone here does that on a regular bases.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:34 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:
JVAshley wrote:How many times a day/hour can you refresh a page to check on a response to a story before it can be categorized as obsessive/compulsive?

Just asking

For a friend

This may not be a good place to ask that question.

Most everyone here does that on a regular bases.

Yeah, you're a writer. Obsessive for others is below normal for us. It's okay...just...don't try to explain it to your relatives... wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:10 am

Just asking

For a friend

Depends how fast the website refreshes. If you find yourself calling your service provider to get faster download speeds so you can click faster... then you are a writer... procrastinating... which is normal. At least that's what I tell myself.

morshana

Postby morshana » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:17 am

Yep, same here. I tell myself I won't check on any story statuses this time. LOL I think if I get enough out there I can forget about some. wotf019
Jeanette Gonzalez

HM x4, SHM x2, F x1

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks, that makes me feel better,
Or at least it makes me feel included. wotf042
I refreshed so often for two of my short stories that I started to wonder if the magazine could see how many times I was checking and write me off as too needy.

On the other hand, I try not to check for email from Joni if I can help it. It feels like if I check for WotF, I will jinx it, because the sooner you find out, the worse the outcome. wotf004
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:18 am

Well, I am sick and it's raining outside, so I really don't have any reason NOT to start my story. It's all outlined and ready to go, now I just have to start on the hardest part: making it sound as good on paper as it does in my head... wotf018
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:31 am

So, I think that there is only one thing for it in the Shadows of Issue 32: Be True To Your Story And Write It! Begin Now And Don't Stop Until You're Smiling! wotf007 Find The Time And Do It! wotf007
8 HMs.

Ivy Fairhaven

Postby Ivy Fairhaven » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:04 pm

The characters' personalities popped into my head and the plot suddenly clicked for me. Time to write the outline!
SHM x1
HM x3
R x1

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:03 am

So. Could be my earliest entry yet.
wotf022

Are you watching Stephanie?
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Started the revision of the story I decided to send in. Haven't gotten far yet but working.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Ishmael wrote:So. Could be my earliest entry yet.
wotf022

Are you watching Stephanie?

I see all! wotf013
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:54 pm

I am somewhere around one fourth done with my revision. I might be done by next weekend-except I am also revising a novel.

Even though I was careful with the opening when I wrote it, it still gave my fits. Rearranging sentences, deleting a couple, adding a couple-- Shakes head.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

alpha

Postby alpha » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:12 pm

So I'm in. I wanted to be first, but I see Ishmael already beat me.

I'm not actually early, when you consider this is my Q2 story that I didn't finish in time.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:06 pm

alpha wrote:So I'm in. I wanted to be first, but I see Ishmael already beat me.

I'm not actually early, when you consider this is my Q2 story that I didn't finish in time.

You're doing better than me. I missed last quarter and haven't yet had time to think on a solid story for this quarter. Work is trying its damnedest to consume my soul. wotf019 On the upside, after a month straight of getting one day off a week (when I got that) I'm about to finally start getting two days off a week again. Maybe I'll have time to do more than brainstorm at that point.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:53 am

It seems I got an instant rejection for my Q4/32 because I didn't double space wotf017 .
Now I have that story and the one I'm currently writing to choose between.
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:16 am

storysinger wrote:It seems I got an instant rejection for my Q4/32 because I didn't double space wotf017 .

That really sucks. I'm sorry! wotf005 wotf030 If there was a less happy hug emote, I'd be sending it your way. I empathize.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:27 am

storysinger wrote:It seems I got an instant rejection for my Q4/32 because I didn't double space wotf017 .

Some of us have been rejected even faster than 4 weeks, if it's any consolation. I think I held the record for a time but it's been beaten since.

Nil desperandum! wotf024
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Ivy Fairhaven

Postby Ivy Fairhaven » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:08 pm

Ah. I started writing my Q3 story, then decided to write a shinier shorter story for Q3 and move my Q3 (which is longer) to Q4 so I have more time to edit. wotf017
SHM x1
HM x3
R x1

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:42 pm

Now do I have it correct we have until the last day of June to send in our stories?

I ask because I am done-finsihed, completed. Unless I can get a crit and revise it afterwards of course. But I haven't been done this early for years. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue May 03, 2016 3:59 am

LDWriter2 wrote:Now do I have it correct we have until the last day of June to send in our stories?

I ask because I am done-finsihed, completed. Unless I can get a crit and revise it afterwards of course. But I haven't been done this early for years. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

You are correct. The end of June. Congrats on an early finish. Get an early start on Q4 wotf007

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Tue May 03, 2016 4:07 am

Plenty of time to put in the time to get it right this time. wotf015
HM-1
D.R.Sweeney

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sun May 08, 2016 11:06 am

I'm currently on hold for WotF -- I have my intended story 90% complete, but I realised that I'm constantly putting off trying to finish my novel draft to pursue finishing this short story, and that short story, oh, and this little thing that really only needs a bit of polish, and that other thing could be tweaked, and...well, I have a lot of them. So if I don't put the damn things on the shelf at some point, I'll never get this thing finished!

That said, I'm queueing these things to return to just as soon as that first draft is complete and ready to let rest for a short spell. And I think when I'm done with this draft, I'll actually have a better idea of how to write and complete the story I'm intending to sub -- I just have no idea which quarter I'll be subbing it for...
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”