Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
LDWriter2

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 33

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Looks like it's time to say Congrats to the HM and SHMers

So something right after all that.

And for those with a bunch of them-you must be on the right path to keep getting them.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

jabrwalk

Postby jabrwalk » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:38 am

It’s been a week since I’ve seen any postings about Q3 HMs or SHMs. Alas, I’ve yet to hear anything about my entry. I can think of only three reasons for this: my entry got lost, decisions are still being made, or I’m a finalist. To you lucky people who’ve been finalists, how long does it typically take before you get the news? As you can imagine, I’m going crazy.

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:53 pm

jabrwalk wrote:It’s been a week since I’ve seen any postings about Q3 HMs or SHMs. Alas, I’ve yet to hear anything about my entry. I can think of only three reasons for this: my entry got lost, decisions are still being made, or I’m a finalist. To you lucky people who’ve been finalists, how long does it typically take before you get the news? As you can imagine, I’m going crazy.

I'm going crazy with you, jabrwalk.
I went from the illustrious hope of being a finalist to being convinced that my story was lost, or my contact info was lost and my piece, consequently, was thrown out. Irrational? Perhaps, but Irrationality is my specialty.

I might have to come out from under the table and flag down a plane to rescue me from the Land of Ceaseless Twitching.
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

Ember

Postby Ember » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Good luck JVashley and Jabrwalk, and anyone else waiting. My fingers are crossed for you. You must be going INSANE right now.

At risk of fanning the potentially destructive flames of hope, I want to say that surely this means that you are a finalist! Or semi finalist at least.
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Having heard no reports of Semi-Finalists or Finalists, I'm guessing that final decisions at that level are being made. Sending the best of wishes to everybody still waiting!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 15, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 am

I received a rejection back around the 17th. I've been on holiday for the past month so no internet for me. Also not really bothered by the rejection given it came in between lions and swinging into gorges wotf008

Good look to those still waiting.
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

preston

Postby preston » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:37 am

This on the Grinder:

Acceptance from Writers of the Future Contest (4 days) (Congratulations Kristy Spencer!)

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 am

preston wrote:This on the Grinder:

Acceptance from Writers of the Future Contest (4 days) (Congratulations Kristy Spencer!)

Yeah, "4 days" is obviously an error. There is also another acceptance posted:

Acceptance from Writers of the Future Contest (160 days)

Seems that the winners for Q3 have been notified.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:04 am

I see five acceptances on "The Grinder" from September 14 onward. Everybody wins! Just like the debates. wotf001

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:18 pm

So what happened to the people still waiting here on the forum???

Have you guys heard anything...radio silence...or secretly winners??? wotf015
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:52 pm

emilymccosh wrote:So what happened to the people still waiting here on the forum???

Have you guys heard anything...radio silence...or secretly winners??? wotf015

I wish I were a stealthy winner keeping quiet, but so far I have heard NOTHING! wotf017
I am worried that my submission was lost. Or my contact info is missing.
<debates climbing out from under the table to risk being shot with an R>

What about you, orp204?
Blink twice if you are the stealthy winner.
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Just received notice today, delivered under the table.
Hope was high due to the delay, but you get what you get...
wotf055
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

Muri McCage

Postby Muri McCage » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, I still can't get the Quotes function to work. I'll try it another way....

And that didn't work either.

So.
Laurie, I was partly in thank you note mode. Mostly it was that I appreciate so much that so many of you took the time to respond, sympathize, and share experiences. That gift of kindness means so much when the world seems so dark. Unexpected rays of light seriously make a difference.
Mom in the Moon, Analog October 2016
Dare to dream, now and tomorrow....
Blog: Dreams of the Purple Koala
http://murimccage.wordpress.com/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MuriMcCage

preston

Postby preston » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:09 pm

JVAshley wrote:Just received notice today, delivered under the table.
Hope was high due to the delay, but you get what you get...
wotf055

Yay! An HM is pretty nifty. Especially after so long a wait.
Next time, Finalist!

jabrwalk

Postby jabrwalk » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:21 pm

JV, I feel your pain. got my HM today as well. If you sent your Q3 entry directly to Joni when the system went down, that would explain your delay. Since those entries had to be printed, they were treated the same as other mail-in submissions and, according to Joni, these entries take longer to evaluate.

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:27 am

Finalist-- I got the certificate in the mail a few days ago.

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:43 am

It seems weird that the first notification I got was a certificate. (no call. no email.) Has anyone else had that happen? I emailed Joni to ask about it but haven't heard back yet.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:01 pm

D.Kav wrote:It seems weird that the first notification I got was a certificate. (no call. no email.) Has anyone else had that happen? I emailed Joni to ask about it but haven't heard back yet.

That is very odd. But congratulations, one way or the other!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 15, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

Athena

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:55 am

D.Kav wrote:Finalist-- I got the certificate in the mail a few days ago.

Woah! Congrats! And yeah, I agree it's weird that you got the cert and no call. Seems like maybe they're trying to make up for lost time and getting ahead of themselves a bit.
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Question for those have gotten Finalist before: How did you find out? I'm still confused at not having received an email or phone call, just the mailed certificate. And does that mean the judging is done or is my story still under consideration for a prize? I don't know and Joni hasn't responded to my email inquiry.

Thanks.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:40 am

D.Kav wrote:Question for those have gotten Finalist before: How did you find out? I'm still confused at not having received an email or phone call, just the mailed certificate. And does that mean the judging is done or is my story still under consideration for a prize? I don't know and Joni hasn't responded to my email inquiry.

Thanks.

Joni should phone all the finalists, and if she can't get through by phone she should email them (as she did with me). You should then get another call/email in a month or so saying whether you're a winner. I am... surprised you missed out on all of that. Keep emailing and asking, because if you were a finalist, then your story is still being held for consideration as the published finalist, who still gets the workshop week and published in the anthology etc. She normally asks if it's okay to hold your story for that, I think, so yeah, you need to get an answer from her.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:12 am

What's the best email to reach Joni at?

Athena

Postby Athena » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 am

D.Kav wrote:What's the best email to reach Joni at?

I've had good luck replying to her via the email where she confirms your submission and asks you to let her know you got her message. She is very responsive to emails. Surprisingly so. I just imagined it would be like sending an email down a black hole because of the numbers of emails I'm sure she gets, but she is very good about replying quickly.

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:13 am

That's been my experience in the past as well, Athena. However, this time is different. I emailed (responded to her initial confirmation email) the day I got the certificate, and also a week later. Nothing. I don't know what's going on. Maybe there was a mixup and they didn't mean to send out any certificates yet? No idea. It's odd.

Athena

Postby Athena » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:40 am

D.Kav wrote:That's been my experience in the past as well, Athena. However, this time is different. I emailed (responded to her initial confirmation email) the day I got the certificate, and also a week later. Nothing. I don't know what's going on. Maybe there was a mixup and they didn't mean to send out any certificates yet? No idea. It's odd.

Okay, that is very strange. I wonder what is happening.

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:52 am

I got asked to pass this message on by KL Schwengel, who is lurking but unable to register b/c of the forum email bug that continues to afflict us:
Hi Matt, I'm a lurker on the WoTF forum because it's still not being nice and allowing new folks to register. :( Anyhow, I saw where D.Kav received a Finalist cert but no call/email. Don't know if you'd be willing to pass along some info? I was also a Q3 V33 finalist. I received my phone call on 9/16. On 9/27 I got the call I wasn't a winner, but they would like to hold my story. Joni thought I'd be hearing about that by mid December. So I'm assuming the winners are all chosen for Q3. That doesn't help with lack of response for D.Kav. I haven't really seen any other finalists come forward though.

So the mystery continues. I really can't understand Joni missing something like this--I'd have thought getting to make these phone calls would be her favourite part of the job!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

D.Kav

Postby D.Kav » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 am

Okay. So I finally just called Joni, which apparently I should have done a while ago. She said she had tried calling me (I didn't get the calls-- weird) and emailing me (I didn't get the emails-- weirder) and that she didn't get any of my emails (weirderer). How'd that happen? No clue. We basically concluded that we're all living in the twilight zone and nothing makes any sense.

Anyway, they've chosen the winners but haven't gotten around to posting the results yet. I am not a winner (boo) but finalist is still awesome. They're holding my story.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:37 am

D.Kav wrote:Okay. So I finally just called Joni, which apparently I should have done a while ago. She said she had tried calling me (I didn't get the calls-- weird) and emailing me (I didn't get the emails-- weirder) and that she didn't get any of my emails (weirderer). How'd that happen? No clue. We basically concluded that we're all living in the twilight zone and nothing makes any sense.

Anyway, they've chosen the winners but haven't gotten around to posting the results yet. I am not a winner (boo) but finalist is still awesome. They're holding my story.

Hunh. That is definitely weird, and while I'm sorry you didn't win, Finalist is nothing to sneeze at. wotf010 Congratulations, and good luck!
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, ?

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:02 am

Well, Congrats on the Finalist. :-)

Hey, you might end up the published finalist for this volume.

wotf009
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 am

Congrats on the finalist. Published finalist would be the best because then you can still enter and maybe go to two workshops.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”