Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ishmael

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q3 - Volume 33

Postby Ishmael » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:05 am

Oh My! I can't believe my eyes!
Another one of them!
It seems, no matter how I tries,
I always get H M!

It's just as well I thought to score
A good excuse last week
So now we wait for Quarter Four
And meanwhile - one more tweak!

wotf011
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:53 am

Dustan Moon wrote:Silver HM, my fist one of those (can somebody please tell me what silver HM really means, and is it sterling silver, or pure silver, and what's the current price per troy ounce?). This is, if memory serves, four in a row for me from HM to Semi--I've never gotten so many consecutive before, but I'd still believe winning is just a carrot on a stick, except I keep seeing award ceremonies where people are actually EATING those carrots.

To all who didn't get in, condolences, but here's to winning Q4, and standing on that stage going CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH and saying, "What's up, Doc?"

~Moon~

Based on the results from previous quarters, it looks like Silver HM means you are in the top 30 or so. My guess is these are the stories that Dave puts aside for finalist consideration. He then sorts them out into Finalist (top 8), Semifinalist (next 8) and Silver HM (the rest of the pool). This is purely a guess of course.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:17 am

wotf055

That marks a one year streak of HMs after getting Finalist and coming so close.

*goes off to continue work on Q4 submission*
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:22 am

Friends, you may not believe this. I was so convinced my Q3 was both well enough written to win and weird enough to break my run of HMs one way or the other.

I've just been busy advising other people about over-written excessively lengthy introductions.

So what do I find when I go over my Q3 today? That's right. Excessive and over-written introduction. Oh physician heal thyself! I've dumped seven hundred words and sent it out again in much better shape.

Aarrgghhh!

wotf015
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:22 am

Ok here are the people who have yet to check in. I suspect some of them are Finalist. We haven't heard from any Semis yet either.

JUNE 26TH
ThomasKCarpenter
JUNE 28TH
Tamlyn
JUNE 29TH
J'nae Rae
KD Julicher
orp204
JUNE 30TH
JVAshley
Last edited by Imagination Vortex on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:29 am

Dustan Moon wrote:Silver HM, my fist one of those (can somebody please tell me what silver HM really means, and is it sterling silver, or pure silver, and what's the current price per troy ounce?). This is, if memory serves, four in a row for me from HM to Semi--I've never gotten so many consecutive before, but I'd still believe winning is just a carrot on a stick, except I keep seeing award ceremonies where people are actually EATING those carrots.

To all who didn't get in, condolences, but here's to winning Q4, and standing on that stage going CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH and saying, "What's up, Doc?"

~Moon~

Hey Dustan, Silver is a step above HM. There are ususally only 10-40 Silvers a quarter... but I wouldn't know about prices... wotf007
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:36 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:Ok here are the people who have yet to check in. I suspect some of them are Finalist. We haven't heard from any Semis yet either.

MAY 22ND
pdblake
JUNE 26TH
ThomasKCarpenter
JUNE 28TH
Tamlyn
JUNE 29TH
J'nae Rae
KD Julicher
orp204
JUNE 30TH
DavidK
Dustin Adams
JVAshley

Nine left, so I guess they're not all finalists...

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:40 pm

<squeaky voice from under the table>
It's getting scary under here. Emily left me and the brownies are all gone. wotf018
Emily, please come back with brownies. I'm sure yesterday's email was an accident.
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:42 pm

wotf056
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:43 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:Silver HM, my fist one of those (can somebody please tell me what silver HM really means, and is it sterling silver, or pure silver, and what's the current price per troy ounce?).

And does it work on werewolves?

Side note: With the Surname Moon, you should win by default...in my humble opinion.
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:13 pm

HM Here

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Count me out :) HM
8 HMs.

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:14 pm

6 left now...

JUNE 28TH
Tamlyn
JUNE 29TH
orp204
JUNE 30TH
JVAshley
Last edited by Imagination Vortex on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

Athena

Postby Athena » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:11 am

Imagination Vortex wrote:6 left now...

This is when things get exciting! Fingers crossed for you guys!
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 am

Congrats and commiserations in the appropriate ratios to you all. If nothing else, you wrote a story and you sent it out, and that's all any of us have any control over. So keep doing that wotf007
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:01 am

Is this the time when we start looking at the silent ones with suspicion, even the ones pretending to hide under a table?

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:23 am

Hope she doesn't mind...

KD Julicher received an HM in the big wave.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:37 am

Dustin Adams wrote:Hope she doesn't mind...

KD Julicher received an HM in the big wave.

Thanks for posting. For some reason I had trouble logging in here. Yep, HM for me.
WOTF: HM x 6, SF x 1, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4, V34 Q3
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

jmw211

Postby jmw211 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:06 am

wotf055

So I was surprised by how good I felt getting an HM when I had been hoping to do better. It was only my second try, and last time I got a rejection. The feeling of getting at least a bit of acknowledgment seems to be outweigh the bummed feeling. This time at least. And now I feel like I have at least some credibility to post in these forums.

R x 1
HM x 1

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:38 am

JVAshley wrote:
Dustan Moon wrote:Silver HM, my fist one of those (can somebody please tell me what silver HM really means, and is it sterling silver, or pure silver, and what's the current price per troy ounce?).

Side note: With the Surname Moon, you should win by default...in my humble opinion.

Thanks, guys, for explaining Silver HM. I had guessed similarly, but I don't like to assume. I'm surprised the notice from WOTF doesn't explain what it is, because without this forum, you'd have no way of knowing what the Silver meant, nor the amount of silver the certificate actually contains when melted down, let alone whether you could kill a werebeast with it. Facts! We need accurate data to make accurate conclusions! And if a snarling werewolf charges into your office, grabbing a SILVER HM off the wall could mean the difference between life and death! (Honestly, I think we'd all be safer hurtling a Golden Pen award at said beastie, so I suggest you reach for that first if you've got one).

As for the surname Moon, thanks JV (that's my Chippewa heritage), but if I ever win by default, it's got to be for being one of the longest running entrants to this contest. I mean, how many of you can say you have critiques from judges going all the way back to AJ? wotf003

I know what my problem is, I'm a novelist trying to write short stories, so I'm often pushing the 18K limit with my entries--KD once told me I would have won if I'd written shorter, and Dave's critique said something similar, good writing but kill your darlings (well, and your BREAST imagery, but dammit, they were MERMAIDS! wotf007 ) I can't help it, I like grand stories, it's what I do. But I know to win, and to have sellable pieces, you have to write shorter.

Working on it.

As for all the latest results for each individual that's posted . . . what Matt said. : )

Cheerios,

~Moon~

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:19 pm

amoskalik wrote:Is this the time when we start looking at the silent ones with suspicion, even the ones pretending to hide under a table?

<hand wave from under the table>
Theses aren't the writers you're looking for
You can go about your business
Move along
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:57 pm

JVAshley wrote:
amoskalik wrote:Is this the time when we start looking at the silent ones with suspicion, even the ones pretending to hide under a table?

<hand wave from under the table>
Theses aren't the writers you're looking for
You can go about your business
Move along

Ha! I knew the suspicious ones were under the table.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:32 pm

JVAshley wrote:<squeaky voice from under the table>
It's getting scary under here. Emily left me and the brownies are all gone. wotf018
Emily, please come back with brownies. I'm sure yesterday's email was an accident.

I'm sorry!!

But I promise to cower in fear (and brownies) with you for Q4. wotf041

Unless...of course....you win this quarter... wotf015
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:09 pm

emilymccosh wrote:I'm sorry!!

But I promise to cower in fear (and brownies) with you for Q4. wotf041

Unless...of course....you win this quarter... wotf015

wotf003 Don't say the word or they will hear you!
Either way, I'll bring the brownies and meet you back under here come Q4! wotf008
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:13 pm

This afternoon, after allowing a narrow beam of light under the table with me for comfort,
my inner nag said, "You know, nobody's looking for you. They probably just lost your submission."

And *Poof* just like that, the light was gone, and the dark descended once more.
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Dustan Moon wrote:
JVAshley wrote:

Thanks, guys, for explaining Silver HM. I had guessed similarly, but I don't like to assume. I'm surprised the notice from WOTF doesn't explain what it is, because without this forum, you'd have no way of knowing what the Silver meant, nor the amount of silver the certificate actually contains when melted down, let alone whether you could kill a werebeast with it. Facts! We need accurate data to make accurate conclusions! And if a snarling werewolf charges into your office, grabbing a SILVER HM off the wall could mean the difference between life and death! (Honestly, I think we'd all be safer hurtling a Golden Pen award at said beastie, so I suggest you reach for that first if you've got one).

As for the surname Moon, thanks JV (that's my Chippewa heritage), but if I ever win by default, it's got to be for being one of the longest running entrants to this contest. I mean, how many of you can say you have critiques from judges going all the way back to AJ? wotf003

I know what my problem is, I'm a novelist trying to write short stories, so I'm often pushing the 18K limit with my entries--KD once told me I would have won if I'd written shorter, and Dave's critique said something similar, good writing but kill your darlings (well, and your BREAST imagery, but dammit, they were MERMAIDS! wotf007 ) I can't help it, I like grand stories, it's what I do. But I know to win, and to have sellable pieces, you have to write shorter.

Working on it.

As for all the latest results for each individual that's posted . . . what Matt said. : )

Cheerios,

~Moon~

Dustan, which judge was AJ? There was Algis Budrys, Dave, then KD Wentworth, then Dave again after KD died :(

I've taken some breaks, but I think my first submission was around 1994, under Algis. I'm on submission 28. You'd think I would have figured out how to win by now!
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Been busy the last few days, but I received my notice of HM on Friday.

wotf008

Congrats to the HM's and Silver HMs.

Commiserations to the R's.

J'nae
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Laurie wrote:

Dustan, which judge was AJ? There was Algis Budrys, Dave, then KD Wentworth, then Dave again after KD died :(

I've taken some breaks, but I think my first submission was around 1994, under Algis. I'm on submission 28. You'd think I would have figured out how to win by now![/quote]

Laurie:

AJ was Algis Budrys' moniker, just like mine is Moon. : ) He was a charming man, and when I was in WORDOS writers group in Eugene, we flew him out to teach us his workshop Writing to The Point. We called it his Sarah Jane workshop, because he built everything you need to know around a fictional character with that name, a stick figure girl he drew on a white board, adding to her accessories as he taught. I'm looking at my signed copy of his book now...he's long gone, but his signature is not. "To Moon--Use it wisely, Algis Budrys."

Several of my friends in WORDOS won WOTF...for some it launched their careers. Some from the workshop are even final judges in the contest now, like Dean Wesley Smith, Kris Rusch, Nina Hoffman. Stephen Stanley from that workshop was the first to win both WOTF and IOTF, quite an accomplishment, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. So yeah, I've been chasing that carrot on a stick probably as long as you, and good on ya, mate. But I've quit hanging on to my stories now--I didn't want to sell them elsewhere and get disqualified, because I'm close. (Although, Ishmael, your recent response from Joni on what actualy IS a SFWA qualifying designation in the eyes of WOTF gives me new hope that I've still got legs, so thanks for posting that). So a contest that launches new writers has also been my kryptonite.

But honestly, that's the writing biz. You need a cast iron stomach, or you take breaks when it just gets to be too much. Key thing is to keep forging ahead and ignoring the naysayers, because that's what everyone else had to do to make magic happen.

Best of success,whether you win this contest or not.

Warmth and sunshine,

~Moon~

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:50 am

Great post, Dustan. And you did Algis's workshop?! No wonder so many WORDOS won!
Like you, this contest has been my kryptonite. Focusing mostly on it, while downplaying other markets. It has kept me going, but getting some semi-pro creds has me expanding my horizons.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:33 am

I've started submitting this quarter's story to other venues, and had a mild panic attack when I received an e-mail from Lawless Lands less than six hours after I sent it in. I thought it was going to be a rejection but it was just an acknowledgment of my submission having been received. wotf001
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015, Q4: R
2016: SF, n/a, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, n/a, F, R

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”