Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
DoctorJest

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 am

I'm firmly expecting my first R from this one--and yet, I still can't quite stop the twitchiness...
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

dbeavers

Postby dbeavers » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:40 am

Commiserations on the early R's. If I get an R before Halloween, I'm going to print copies of my Rejected story and hand the pages out to trick-or-theaters. Healthier than candy, right? If I'm still in, going to carve a "yuge" twicthing pumpkin. Anyone know how to make a pumpkin twitch? I'm guessing it starts with a car battery.
Dave Beavers. R, HM, HM, HM.
It ain't the heat, it's the humility - Yogi Berra

JeremySzal

Postby JeremySzal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Still hanging in there with fingers and toes crossed...
My website
Fictioneditor at Hugo winning podcast StarShipSofa
Publications: Nature, Abyss & Apex, Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, more.
Finalist V32, Q3. 2 HMs.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Surprise I don't have one yet, I just checked. I will be going to bed early tonight so I won't be checking any more tonight-remember most times I get mine late in the day.

which doesn't mean much of course, except that I won't be one of the first ones to receive a R.

condolences to those who have them. It always surprises me that we get so many-most of you guys-gals are good writers.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

Muri McCage

Postby Muri McCage » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:34 am

I'm out, quarter and contest. Oddly, this was one of the few entries I wrote with the contest in mind. Disappointing, for my final entry. Ah well, I've had a good run overall.
Mom in the Moon, Analog October 2016
Dare to dream, now and tomorrow....
Blog: Dreams of the Purple Koala
http://murimccage.wordpress.com/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MuriMcCage

Muri McCage

Postby Muri McCage » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:43 am

Best of luck to those still standing.
(I'm having to post in bits. The system keeps throwing me out and making me resignin.) wotf017
Last edited by Muri McCage on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter:

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:54 am

Muri McCage wrote:I'm out, quarter and contest. Oddly, this was one of the few entries I wrote with the contest in mind. Disappointing, for my final entry. Ah well, I've had a good run overall.

Sorry to hear that Murray. Still proing out is the second best way to leave the contest and some might argue the hardest way, so congratulations and keep up the good work wotf009
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:27 am

Commiserations Muri, but good luck in your future work. I do hope you'll stay in touch with us.

The Grinder reports about 24 R and about 57 pending for this quarter if I read it right, so a fairly large wave. (I'm assuming The Grinder's sample includes only serious writers and the overall R percentage is substantially larger than this.)
Last edited by Ishmael on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:30 am

Muri McCage wrote:I'm out, quarter and contest. Oddly, this was one of the few entries I wrote with the contest in mind. Disappointing, for my final entry. Ah well, I've had a good run overall.

A couple of people have thought they pro'd out and found out they still qualified... you might want to check with Joni, just to be safe?

In any case, I understand your disappointment but congratulate you on the accomplishment!
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:35 pm

I had thought of sending my condolences but these would be different ones for, as frustrating as it is, you are out for a good reason. So a combo condolences and congratulations.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Dr.ForumStalker

Postby Dr.ForumStalker » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Your friendly neighborhood forum stalker is now back after lurking in the shadows for over a year. And yes, it is because I do have a horse in this race ... a reworked HM, that I'm hoping will move toward the light instead of falling into the abyss.

For Imagination Vortex's list, my entry was at the last minute on 9/30/16.

Commiserations to those who have received those early R's and good luck to those still in the running.
V32 Q3: HM
R: So many that I have lost count
Other: Finalist in Sci-Fest LA's The Rowell Award for Short Fiction 2015

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Ishmael wrote:Commiserations Muri, but good luck in your future work. I do hope you'll stay in touch with us.

The Grinder reports about 24 R and about 57 pending for this quarter if I read it right, so a fairly large wave. (I'm assuming The Grinder's sample includes only serious writers and the overall R percentage is substantially larger than this.)

im not sure if im reading you right. ...aprox how many submissions are submitted per quarter?

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Still no R. And it seems like the wave is over since no one else here have received any for over a day, I believe.

But is it Over?

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:30 pm

The Submission Grinder: http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ tracks submissions for their members (free membership). For any single publication one can find how many (always anonymous) submissions are currently being tracked, their date of submission, the average response date, rate of acceptance, etc.

Grinder data are based solely on member submissions, so there is no way to tell how many overall submissions are made to WotF each quarter. Also muddying the waters is the fact that the Grinder doesn't track submissions to WotF by quarter (that I've noticed), so right now there are probably Q4, V33 and Q1, V34 submissions being tracked. Beyond that, there are often noobs who enter their data wrong and confuse the crap out of us good folk who never do anything wrong. *Ducks rubber chicken*

Still, it's a great site for tracking one's submissions. It's mentioned in this forum because waves of responses will show up there before many other tracking sites. It's like the starting gun for the twitching race.

Submission numbers for WotF are not published and guesses are not confirmed. I can personally confirm that in any one quarter that I have submitted, there have been at least four submissions. And I take as truth that there have been at least nine.

Muri McCage

Postby Muri McCage » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks guys. Honestly, it took me so long between pro sales 3 & 4 that it doesn't quite seem real to have proed out.

Ishmael, I do indeed intend to stay in touch. I'm sure I'll keep picking up valuable information here. In fact, I just discovered a new market on the forum this morning. And I'd like to pop in and visit now and then. I'll hope to have more news to share at some point, but my track record with that kind of thing lives on shakey ground.

Great minds and all, Disgruntledpeony! Q4 was my unexpected extra shot. I'd thought I was out altogether when "my" Analog started getting online reviews in September, but when I checked with Joni she said it goes by publication date and to go for it. It was fun to be in one more time.

For those interested in such things, Mom in the Moon got HM from K. D. Wentworth. It was rejected 20 times before it sold to Analog.

One more thing:
Don't you dare give up, Louis. I cannot tell you how many times I've been crushed into the ground by relentless rejection. I went many years with nothing but forms from editors and often felt nothing awesome would ever happen. And then it did. And did. And does. One thing that keeps me going, even in the long droughts and dark times, is knowing that as hard as the journey can be, the hope and strength of character that drive it make a writer's life better than it would be without going down that road at all.
Twitter:

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Muri McCage wrote: One thing that keeps me going, even in the long droughts and dark times, is knowing that as hard as the journey can be, the hope and strength of character that drive it make a writer's life better than it would be without going down that road at all.

I love the way you put that.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

preston

Postby preston » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Muri McCage wrote:For those interested in such things, Mom in the Moon got HM from K. D. Wentworth. It was rejected 20 times before it sold to Analog.

wotf015

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:But is it Over?

I doubt that. Thursday's just a few hours away. I'm battening down the hatches, just in case. wotf004
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Not Over.

Rejection for me.

Damn. That one I was hopeful for...
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Muri McCage wrote:One more thing:
Don't you dare give up, Louis. I cannot tell you how many times I've been crushed into the ground by relentless rejection. I went many years with nothing but forms from editors and often felt nothing awesome would ever happen. And then it did. And did. And does. One thing that keeps me going, even in the long droughts and dark times, is knowing that as hard as the journey can be, the hope and strength of character that drive it make a writer's life better than it would be without going down that road at all.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

As to years spent trying. There are those here who have tried longer at WOTF than I have but not many I think. In either case I spent a few years before I heard about WOTF working on my writing. More than a lot of people I have read about. Something I think I might be close to some record without even a private note much less a sell. Well, one note from J J A. The same quarter I received my first HM, may have been the same story. Not even one from the new guy at F&SF. Of course if I sent him more stuff there would be more chance of one and that I would remember his name.

Anyway, I will keep trying and learning, even though something to indicate I have improved would be nice. I have received a couple good comments from readers on Google + and from one person here. Speaking of which didn't I send a story to look over to two people from here?

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:29 pm

I'm out completely.

As has been the case lately it came late in the evening,

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

rharp

Postby rharp » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:53 am

I'm out, too. Strangely, this story was HM a while back and I revised it...I guess not for the best. Disappointing but now it's time to start the next one.
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

thewritescott

Postby thewritescott » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:34 am

I'm out. Got my reaction email last night. Its subject line also mentioned the 2ns quarter instead of the 4th.

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:57 am

I'm out with a rejection email this morning. Seems the "write, revise, submit quick" isn't my preferred method. :) Back to the drawing board with this one.
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 1 / HM 6 / R 15 / Total 22 Entries

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:43 am

Commiserations to all the R's so far.

Of course since mine was a revision and resubmission of last Quarters HM, I'm really starting to twitch seeing all these come in. I keep checking my emails nervously!
Last edited by J'nae Rae on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Commiserations to all the R's so far.

Of course since mine was a revision and resubmission of lasts Quarters HM, I'm really starting to twitch seeing all these come in. I keep checking my emails nervously!

I second the commisserations and wish everyone better luck next quarter.

Mine is a revision of a first-round R last year, but it was a really heavy bout of revising. I changed tense and perspective; I also cut about a third of the story to improve the pacing. It almost might as well be a new story at this point. wotf004 I think the massive edits are the reason I'm so nervous. This story was the first one I wrote after a long break from writing, and I have very mixed feelings about it as a result.

Dr.ForumStalker

Postby Dr.ForumStalker » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:35 am

And its an ... R, in record time it seems. My reworked HM apparently was not reworked enough wotf014 Good luck to all those left standing. Time to slink back into the shadows.
V32 Q3: HM
R: So many that I have lost count
Other: Finalist in Sci-Fest LA's The Rowell Award for Short Fiction 2015

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:40 am

Henckel wrote:
Ishmael wrote:The Grinder reports about 24 R and about 57 pending for this quarter if I read it right, so a fairly large wave. (I'm assuming The Grinder's sample includes only serious writers and the overall R percentage is substantially larger than this.)

im not sure if im reading you right. ...aprox how many submissions are submitted per quarter?

Kentagions has already answered this, but it may be worth adding that I'm aware of one market with over 600 responses to a call where well under 100 were recorded on The Grinder. The market in question has nothing like the profile of WotF. As I mentioned above, I'm only treating The Grinder as a sample and certainly not a representative sample.
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:16 am

I'd second that. I've seen Grinder stats that differ on the acceptance rates too, with Grinder's rates of acceptance typically higher than the real ones. I think that lends credence to the idea that, for the most part, the Grinder is used more often by writers who're taking their work seriously.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:19 am

I use the Grinder to find prospective markets, but track my submissions privately. I'm weird like that.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”