Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Randy Hulshizer

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:31 am

wotf009 Congrats to [you know who you are]! wotf010
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Serrain

Postby Serrain » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:10 am

HM here too. Was for a new story I'd wrote that was kinda long and experimental-ish in nature, so I'm pretty happy with that. I sure seem to have the HMs down now, haha. Consistency I guess? xD

And congrats to all other placers. :D
Laura Hardgrave
I look up, and stars dive into sunlight.
5 HMs
[blog] [fb] [twitter]

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:58 am

Dancing conga rats to all the nods from Dave that you are writing at a professional level! Special "Attaboy" to Ishmael since I feel like I know you a bit, we've been hanging around here awhile. Semis are way cool, because it means it was a toss up as to whether you were finalist or not, and it's usually some fine point of margin. And you get a critique, which may help with future submissions, certainly with strengthening that story for sale elsewhere.

Still deafening silence for me. If I hadn't gotten a Wizehive acknowledgement, I'd be even more worried.

Best wishes to the last ones standing! Maybe this one is it! If not, enjoy the screaming crash to the jagged bottom of the precipice before it ends. : )

Cheers,

~Moon~ ...in all his various incarnations.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:39 pm

So, I have kind of a weird question regarding my entry for this quarter and I'd like some feedback from other writers on the subject. I submitted a *very* different version of this story to IGMS last year and it got rejected (rightfully so, in retrospect). The magazine has since had a change in editors, and my story has also been through significant edits including a change in tense and viewpoint.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not it would be a good idea to submit it there again. I don't want to commit a faux paus, and it seems like a serious gray area to me. Any feedback on the subject would be appreciated.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

rharp

Postby rharp » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Congrats to all the HMs, Silvers, and Semis!! Awesome!! wotf010
http://www.rachelleharp.com

F: Q2 V32
Silver HM: Q3, Q4 V32
HM: Q1, Q2, Q3 V 33

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:17 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:So, I have kind of a weird question regarding my entry for this quarter and I'd like some feedback from other writers on the subject. I submitted a *very* different version of this story to IGMS last year and it got rejected (rightfully so, in retrospect). The magazine has since had a change in editors, and my story has also been through significant edits including a change in tense and viewpoint.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not it would be a good idea to submit it there again. I don't want to commit a faux paus, and it seems like a serious gray area to me. Any feedback on the subject would be appreciated.

A lot of publishers say the only rewrites they want to see are ones they ask for. Given the size of many slush piles, I can appreciate that.

To my knowledge I only deliberately broke the rule once, when a magazine in the same stable as one that had already rejected a (since rewritten) story, sent me a personal saying it really should go to first one, which it might suit. I acknowledged this in my resubmission cover letter. The result was the first publisher took a lot longer and still rejected it.

Not having cracked IGMS, I can't offer specific advice. All I can say is my latest submission to them is not much more than a week short of the previous five added together and is now the fourth longest on The Grinder at 106 days. Am I nervous? Who me?
wotf011
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:27 am

Dustan Moon wrote:Dancing conga rats to all the nods from Dave that you are writing at a professional level! Special "Attaboy" to Ishmael since I feel like I know you a bit, we've been hanging around here awhile. Semis are way cool, because it means it was a toss up as to whether you were finalist or not, and it's usually some fine point of margin. And you get a critique, which may help with future submissions, certainly with strengthening that story for sale elsewhere.

Still deafening silence for me. If I hadn't gotten a Wizehive acknowledgement, I'd be even more worried.

Best wishes to the last ones standing! Maybe this one is it! If not, enjoy the screaming crash to the jagged bottom of the precipice before it ends. : )

Cheers,

~Moon~ ...in all his various incarnations.

Thanks and best of luck to you too.

There are acceptances appearing on The Grinder. The problem is not knowing whether they are actual finalists. Unfortunately Grinder subscribers apply different standards to the same results. I found persuasive the arguments of a fellow forum member that only a story appearing in the anthology is an acceptance. Semis are personal rejections and everything from SHM on down are forms. However I know others treat HM as personal, which means they might be treating above HM as acceptance.

Until the Oracle speaks, we mortals wait....

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Well, I did not win... just got that call, but I get to use this!

wotf058
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Congratulations to all the HMs and SHMs and SFs and other Finalists and to the Winners, whoever you are! wotf010 wotf010 wotf010
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:20 pm

morshana wrote:Well, I did not win... just got that call, but I get to use this!

wotf058

Congratulations!!! Well done. wotf010
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:40 pm

morshana wrote:Well, I did not win... just got that call, but I get to use this!

wotf058

Congratulations! wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:52 pm

Hey Jeanette, well done!
wotf010

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Congrats Jeanette! So did you get two calls or just one saying you were finalist but not the winner?
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Thank you, everyone!

amoskalik wrote:Congrats Jeanette! So did you get two calls or just one saying you were finalist but not the winner?

I got two calls. One two days ago, and one earlier this afternoon. I was told this quarter was unusual in its speed (fastest quarter in history), and I wasn't allowed to say anything until final judging. They want to have the book edited and published before the awards ceremony. Crazy fast!
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Congrats morshana!! wotf049
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:31 pm

emilymccosh wrote:Congrats morshana!! wotf049

Thanks! Love the dancing bananas. wotf007
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:34 pm

I had thought this story was going to get a rejection. I almost didn't submit it, because I thought it was too dark. I suspect its subject matter might not have sat well with the judges? wotf019
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:43 pm

wotf058

Dancing conga rats for you, Morshana! Great sign, and highly coveted!

Cheers!

~Moon~

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Published finalists - just wondering how that works? Joni asked if I wanted them to hold my story for consideration for a published finalist, and I said of course. I didn't ask her for any details about the process, though, if my story's selected. You just get published, right? No payment for the story? And you get to go to the workshop?

Thanks, Dustan!

ETA: Looked it up elsewhere on the forum. Yep, as I remembered. If selected as the published finalist, you get to go to the workshop. Are all non-winning stories up for selection, so long as author agrees to the hold?
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:32 pm

morshana wrote:Published finalists - just wondering how that works? Joni asked if I wanted them to hold my story for consideration for a published finalist, and I said of course. I didn't ask her for any details about the process, though, if my story's selected. You just get published, right? No payment for the story? And you get to go to the workshop?

Thanks, Dustan!

ETA: Looked it up elsewhere on the forum. Yep, as I remembered. If selected as the published finalist, you get to go to the workshop. Are all non-winning stories up for selection, so long as author agrees to the hold?

Hi, Jeanette. Selected non-winning stories go to the workshop and are paid for the publication, but no extra prize money. Not all non-winning stories get held, but I believe most do. (My first finalist was not held. My second is being held.) I actually asked Joni if she has any idea when the selection for this volume might be, in my HM response email, but haven't heard anything back as yet.

Good luck!
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, HM - 15, R - 5
Words of Birch

morshana

Postby morshana » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
Hi, Jeanette. Selected non-winning stories go to the workshop and are paid for the publication, but no extra prize money. Not all non-winning stories get held, but I believe most do. (My first finalist was not held. My second is being held.) I actually asked Joni if she has any idea when the selection for this volume might be, in my HM response email, but haven't heard anything back as yet.

Good luck!

Thanks, Rebecca!

Good luck to you, too! And all other Finalists being considered.

wotf026
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:21 am

Congrats, morshana!
Latest story: Half Price Souls (recompose Issue 3, February 2017)
www.tamlyndreaver.com

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 am

And, back in the real world, it took all of two days for Interzone to spin my current semi-finalist (form) but it appears The Grinder is down so I can't record it.

I can also report that my last HM (as amended) had the unusual distinction of being personally rejected twice by Cosmic Roots, who first rejected it from Eldritch, as correctly submitted, but then transferred it to Myths, from which it was rejected as insufficiently mythical. Ahem.

As the first snow of the winter falls and the year ages swiftly, I'm uncertain whether 2016 represents real or merely illusory progress. I may have been published six times in the year to date but acceptances are down. I know I'm writing better (and DF possibly agrees) but does any other editor?
wotf012

Never mind. "Happy are they who (write) for their own pleasure and not to astonish others!"

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 am

Ishmael wrote:And, back in the real world, it took all of two days for Interzone to spin my current semi-finalist (form) but it appears The Grinder is down so I can't record it.

I can also report that my last HM (as amended) had the unusual distinction of being personally rejected twice by Cosmic Roots, who first rejected it from Eldritch, as correctly submitted, but then transferred it to Myths, from which it was rejected as insufficiently mythical. Ahem.

As the first snow of the winter falls and the year ages swiftly, I'm uncertain whether 2016 represents real or merely illusory progress. I may have been published six times in the year to date but acceptances are down. I know I'm writing better (and DF possibly agrees) but does any other editor?
wotf012

Never mind. "Happy are they who (write) for their own pleasure and not to astonish others!"

It's dangerous to read too much into small sample sizes for comparative purposes, especially when each positive event (acceptance) is fundamentally a black swan. I would say a better metric than total acceptances would be quality of acceptances (Pro, semi, token, nonpaying, not sold) for pieces written in a given year, but you'd have to wait for a minimum number of submissions for each pieces (say 25) before any conclusions could be drawn.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:07 am

And I'm out as of today. I figured it was time to write Joni when Finalists were posting results. First time my results got lost in the system.

There's always the next quarter.

Keep writing. Keep sending.

~Moon~

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:42 am

I think KD got the news they were the published finalist around January this year, though the Q4 winners were also only announced in January, so they're well ahead of schedule here. Dunno why the sudden rush--our book was ready for the gala wotf017
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:46 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:So, I have kind of a weird question regarding my entry for this quarter and I'd like some feedback from other writers on the subject. I submitted a *very* different version of this story to IGMS last year and it got rejected (rightfully so, in retrospect). The magazine has since had a change in editors, and my story has also been through significant edits including a change in tense and viewpoint.

I have heard of people doing it with a query--basically saying "you rejected this story long ago but it's since undergone significant revisions and is fundamentally a new story, can I resub?"--and being told yes. I'd only do it very rarely, though, and only if I felt the market was the absolute right fit for the story, because although the editor has changed, the slush team probably hasn't, and the editorial vision of somewhere like IGMS won't change very much--it's still OSC's market, after all, tuned to his ideals (e.g. no profanity).

Have you exhausted all other markets for it?
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
Stories | About | Facebook | Twitter

KD Julicher

Postby KD Julicher » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:04 am

MattDovey wrote:I think KD got the news they were the published finalist around January this year, though the Q4 winners were also only announced in January, so they're well ahead of schedule here. Dunno why the sudden rush--our book was ready for the gala wotf017

February 2nd is when I got the call, but that was about 6 weeks after finding out I hadn't won Q4. Q4 was really late last year, most of the finalists found out they were in the running on Christmas Eve. The PF decision involves multiple people and factors so it does take a while. they look for something that compliments the rest of the book - maybe a lighter story if the overall tone is dark, or a fantasy piece if it's heavily SF, or something that goes with the cover art theme. If you don't get selected, it's not because your story is bad; they just wanted a different fit for the volume.
WOTF: HM x 4, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:36 am

MattDovey wrote:I have heard of people doing it with a query--basically saying "you rejected this story long ago but it's since undergone significant revisions and is fundamentally a new story, can I resub?"--and being told yes. I'd only do it very rarely, though, and only if I felt the market was the absolute right fit for the story, because although the editor has changed, the slush team probably hasn't, and the editorial vision of somewhere like IGMS won't change very much--it's still OSC's market, after all, tuned to his ideals (e.g. no profanity).

Have you exhausted all other markets for it?

There are probably other markets I can submit it to; I'll look into that first. I do remember having exhausted a lot of the major markets back in the day, but there may be others I've discovered since.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:19 am

Just in case any other semi-finalists happen to see this post, I was wondering whether anyone has received DF's crit yet?

I've been holding off re-submitting in case any helpful changes were suggested, but it's nearly a month now and I've not received mine. I also already made what I consider might have been one critical change.

Can any previous semi-finalists say how long it takes?

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”