Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:28 am

Because Q4 is coming up in less than two weeks!! And I am not ready!

And because there are people out there (not me) who are already done with their Q3 submissions. And some of these people (again, not me) might actually have a plan of what they're doing for Q4. Anyone have a plan???

For those of you that do...

wotf009 wotf009 wotf009
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

morshana
Posts: 1929
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: California

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby morshana » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Not yet! Not ready! Still haven't submitted to Q3. Must. Get. Next. Novel. Written. First.
Jeanette Gonzalez

2011 Q4 HM
2012 Q2 HM
2012 Q3 HM
2016 Q2 SHM
2016 Q3 HM
2016 Q4 Finalist

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I don't have anything planned yet, but I'm not worried about that this time for some reason. I definitely plan to enter, and I can tell there are already story ideas percolating somewhere in my brain. They just haven't come to the fore yet. They're on the way, though; I just need to be patient. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

LDWriter2
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Ugh!


I just sent in Q3 and you want us to think FOUR!

Egads my man, you are not a gentleman. There are woman present after all. That must mean you are uncouth and a Hottentot.


just like the rest of us.

And no, hadn't even thought of Q4 yet.
Options: redo another older story I like, use the idea I just had, or do one in the genre I just realized I haven't done anything in for a while. I would need a new twist for that last one though.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:48 pm

LDWriter2 wrote:Ugh!


I just sent in Q3 and you want us to think FOUR!


Well, it is that time of year. wotf019
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

User avatar
storysinger
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Pensacola

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby storysinger » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:44 am

Bring it on. wotf024
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby emilymccosh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:16 am

storysinger wrote:Bring it on. wotf024


I'm with you. I'm feeling quite good about this quarter although no evidence suggests I should. wotf019

Embrace the madness!!! wotf024
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

User avatar
reigheena
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby reigheena » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:15 pm

I actually do have my Q4 done though I'm still working on Q3. Just because I was submitting to an anthology first. When (if) I get rejected, it's going here next.

Now to stop procrastinating on editing Q3.
Silver Honorable Mention: 2
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby emilymccosh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:28 pm

reigheena wrote:I actually do have my Q4 done though I'm still working on Q3. Just because I was submitting to an anthology first. When (if) I get rejected, it's going here next.

Now to stop procrastinating on editing Q3.



First off, I feel like there should be a bowing emoji because it would work so very well for this circumstance.

Secondly, procrastinating is part of the job description!!! wotf015
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Gearing up to write my story for the new quarter. wotf024

Ember
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Ember » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 am

reigheena wrote:I actually do have my Q4 done though I'm still working on Q3. Just because I was submitting to an anthology first. When (if) I get rejected, it's going here next.

Now to stop procrastinating on editing Q3.


This is my entire WOTF writing strategy. Q2 and Q3 were both failed subs to other anthologies, and if I get Q4 in, it will be too.

This is because WOTF's rolling deadline isn't serious enough to get me moving. If you miss your deadline, meh, there will be another chance tomorrow. Whereas an anthology deadline is serious.

Of course, it is a flawed strategy, because it means that my WOTF entries have already failed once and so might not be the strongest. But then again, it all comes down to taste, so maybe they are!
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:03 am

I just realized that this quarter will mark my one-year anniversary of my first WotF submission, at some point. wotf003 Kind of a sobering realization, I suppose. (Not a bad one, by any means. It just gives me a stronger concept of the passage of time.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

User avatar
Randy Hulshizer
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:16 am
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:40 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:I just realized that this quarter will mark my one-year anniversary of my first WotF submission, at some point. wotf003 Kind of a sobering realization, I suppose. (Not a bad one, by any means. It just gives me a stronger concept of the passage of time.)


Same here wotf024
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:36 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:I just realized that this quarter will mark my one-year anniversary of my first WotF submission, at some point. wotf003 Kind of a sobering realization, I suppose. (Not a bad one, by any means. It just gives me a stronger concept of the passage of time.)


Same here.

User avatar
reigheena
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby reigheena » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:11 am

Ember wrote:
reigheena wrote:I actually do have my Q4 done though I'm still working on Q3. Just because I was submitting to an anthology first. When (if) I get rejected, it's going here next.

Now to stop procrastinating on editing Q3.


This is my entire WOTF writing strategy. Q2 and Q3 were both failed subs to other anthologies, and if I get Q4 in, it will be too.

This is because WOTF's rolling deadline isn't serious enough to get me moving. If you miss your deadline, meh, there will be another chance tomorrow. Whereas an anthology deadline is serious.

Of course, it is a flawed strategy, because it means that my WOTF entries have already failed once and so might not be the strongest. But then again, it all comes down to taste, so maybe they are!


I feel that at least in WOTF, I'm not competing against pros, which I am in anthologies and other magazines. That's part of why this is usually my first market to submit to.
Silver Honorable Mention: 2
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Do you mind if I ask where you're finding these submission requests?

My only source is newpages.com. I have a few short stories published in online literary mags but would like to find more SF/F submission requests to submit my wotf stories that get rejected.

User avatar
disgruntledpeony
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:36 pm

I would be guessing most people's sources to be the Grinder. http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ It lets you search for appropriate venues, and the search function lets you specify a great deal.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

User avatar
reigheena
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby reigheena » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Submission list A comes from the SFWA eligible list of magazines
List B comes from Grinder and other sources I hear about.

I actually heard about the last couple anthology call for submissions from editors/agents I follow on twitter.
Silver Honorable Mention: 2
Honorable Mentions: 5. Published HM - Infant Insomnia
Other published works

User avatar
MattDovey
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby MattDovey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 am

Definitely sign up on the Grinder, and sign up for its mailing list as well.

Entering rejected stories into WotF... I know for a fact that a number of stories in WotF32 were on more or less their final submissions, having been bounced everywhere else. Every submission is a new submission, and rejection history doesn't come into it.
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:57 am

Thanks!

KD Julicher
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby KD Julicher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:39 am

On the other hand, for most of my WOTF entries, WOTF is the first and last place they go because there's a really really limited market for 12k-word secondary world fantasies...
WOTF: HM x 4, F V31 Q3, V32 Q2, V32 Q4
Baen Fantasy Award Winner 2014
V32 Published Finalist

User avatar
emilymccosh
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm
Location: California, United States
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 am

KD Julicher wrote:On the other hand, for most of my WOTF entries, WOTF is the first and last place they go because there's a really really limited market for 12k-word secondary world fantasies...


Here, here... wotf019
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:28 am

My wotf submissions are all around 10k words so I guess I see your point. Open submissions I see almost never accept anything near that length.

User avatar
Beth Powers
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:12 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Beth Powers » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:43 am

KD Julicher wrote:On the other hand, for most of my WOTF entries, WOTF is the first and last place they go because there's a really really limited market for 12k-word secondary world fantasies...


Because I've recently been shopping around a long story (and found a home for it too!), here are a couple of recent/changes for longer story markets:

Beneath Ceaseless Skies recently upped their word count to 11,000

Deep Magic is an old magazine that is being brought back, and they consider up to 40,000 (but they cap the pay at the amount for 16,000 words)

It seems like a couple of the other pro-paying places upped their word counts not to long ago, but I don't remember which ones in particular. I usually try to keep my stories under 10,000 because that's the cutoff for the majority of places.

Another plus of The Submission Grinder is that you can search for markets by word count...not that it can materialize more markets for longer stories, but it's a nice feature so you know you're not missing any wotf007

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:29 am

Cool!

LDWriter2
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Central Cailf.
Contact:

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Yeah I recall one I just heard about but can't think of it at the moment.

There is the one that sounds like a dinosaur and Rats, one more I can't think of at the moment.



My WotF stories tend to be longer too. I can and do write shorter stories, even flash, but not for WotF. A couple have come close to the limit.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:38 pm

I find it tough to write short SF/F pieces probably because of world building.

Ember
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Ember » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 pm

Jason Parker wrote:Do you mind if I ask where you're finding these submission requests?

My only source is newpages.com. I have a few short stories published in online literary mags but would like to find more SF/F submission requests to submit my wotf stories that get rejected.


Every month I check out this page:

http://www.angiebenedetti.com/blog/

It is a listing of spec fic anthology markets. There isn't much out atm though.
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 am

Thanks!

User avatar
Jason Parker
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am
Location: Florida

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby Jason Parker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:25 am

You know, writers generally have the reputation of being unfriendly and sort of saucy, but you guys are the opposite. I'm glad I found this group.


Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests