Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
amoskalik

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q4 - Volume 33

Postby amoskalik » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:27 am

Almost done with my first draft. I'm very excited about this story.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:45 pm

4 weeks left. Surely I can revise something in time... wotf019
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:18 am

I have one ready. It's humorous. But humor doesn't seem too well received. Everyone claims that it's very hard to write, but no one wins with humor. It's a funny thing.

Working on a Fantasy story that will take a couple of days to write. I'm still plotting it right now and will write it out this weekend. It will be filled with dread and foreboding and will make the reader cry over devastating losses that cripple the soul. Can I count my money now?
wotf019

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:28 am

kentagions wrote:I have one ready. It's humorous. But humor doesn't seem too well received. Everyone claims that it's very hard to write, but no one wins with humor. It's a funny thing.

Working on a Fantasy story that will take a couple of days to write. I'm still plotting it right now and will write it out this weekend. It will be filled with dread and foreboding and will make the reader cry over devastating losses that cripple the soul. Can I count my money now?
wotf019

If I ever have the money to fund it, I will TOTALLY make a magazine specifically for humorous sci-fi/fantasy.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015: R
2016: SF, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, F, R
2018: HM, SHM

storysinger

Postby storysinger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:48 am

I had tried to finish a humorous story for Q3 but another came into focus and took it's place. It's not far from being finished but I am apprehensive about entering it in the contest. Especially now that another one with magic is coming into focus. Still plenty of time to figure out what I want to do.
HM-1
Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality.
D.R.Sweeney

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:09 am

Draft 4. I've had three very helpful beta readers (still waiting for an exchange to crit by the way) and in addition I have subjected the draft to a test or two for sluggish writing. I have never had a story so ready to go.

Why then have I not entered it already? Because I seem afflicted with the dread disease that golfers call the yips. Every time I draw back the club to putt the ball, a magical, impenetrable barrier springs up between it and the club head. Every time I read the story I have to tweak something. Aarghh!
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:36 am

kentagions wrote:I have one ready. It's humorous. But humor doesn't seem too well received. Everyone claims that it's very hard to write, but no one wins with humor. It's a funny thing.

wotf019

There was The God Whisperer in V31. That was humorous... wotf013
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:05 pm

And Jim Hines won, I think first place, with his fantasy humor, "Blade of the Bunny".
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:51 pm

As well as having my Q4 very within minutes of being done-not counting any editing that someone might help me with-I have an idea for Q1-34. I write a flash story very recently and decided that I liked the meme and that it would fit in with many of the stories of WotF. So taking the same basic idea but changing the setting and characters and what happens I could turn it into a full story. I know the opening-which I have started-but not the ending yet or how my MC changes even though I might have an idea about how he-she-it-hir changes.

I also will work on the basic plot even though I want some twists not a full cliche.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:59 pm

I have two stories that are not yet finished, which I keep wanting to finish for WotF -- I keep ending up with alternative stories that I'm going with instead, but that's okay, I guess. The other two are both stories with a lot of potential, I've just not gotten them resolved yet.

There's actually a third I could add to that list, but it's been dormant for a while now.

This one, I finally managed to get an opening pinned down for -- I didn't like what I had up until this point, it felt like it wasted too much time on unimportant minutiae. The one I have now is half the length, more to the point, and actually expands on a key story theme earlier than I had previously -- so very much win-win-win there.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)
Current WIP intended for Q1.v36

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Hmm, mine will be done tomorrow-or later tonight. It looks like I will have to ask the nice lady who edited my story for last quarter to do this one. She gives some advice on writing while she is at it.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm novelling. Finally getting it to work after a long time switching "tracks" in my brain. Maybe I can try a longer piece this time and convince myself it's not really a short story? 27 days... eep!
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 2 / HM 6 / R 16 / Total 24 Entries

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:04 pm

Novelling has been why I didn't get any entry into the last couple of quarters -- I'm determined to put one in this time though.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:21 am

September 4th. Latest read-through only resulted in five tweaks or thereabouts. Perfect. Decided to submit while on a roll.

Many thanks to Michael, David and Lou. On the basis of your collective advice I ripped this to pieces and rebuilt it after it got a personal from CCF, (with whose opinion your comments coincided.) It is now a hugely-improved story and I really love it.

Now - do I need an early entry for Q1? Hmm. wotf011
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

Rebecca Birch

Postby Rebecca Birch » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Trying to figure out if I can cut down my 48k first half of a novel into a functional story of just under 17k words. This may be . . . ill-advised. I know I write long, but, yeah. Danger, Will Robinson!

wotf004
Rebecca Birch
Finalist - 2, SF - 1, SHM - 1, HM - 18, R - 6
Words of Birch
Short Story Collection--Life Out of Harmony and Other Tales of Wonder

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:
Trying to figure out if I can cut down my 48k first half of a novel into a functional story of just under 17k words.

I would identify the Intro, Point of No Return, Darkest Point, Climax and Conclusion. Then I would take a flamethrower to the inbetweeny parts that don't mean anything.

Odyssey=Guy gets in a boat, screws around for ten years, loses the entire crew, then goes home to his loving wife. See? Doesn't miss a thing.

Let me know if you need a hand.
Kent

p.s. I can use inbetweeny and not offend anyone, right?

LaurieG

Postby LaurieG » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:42 pm

Rebecca Birch wrote:Trying to figure out if I can cut down my 48k first half of a novel into a functional story of just under 17k words. This may be . . . ill-advised. I know I write long, but, yeah. Danger, Will Robinson!

wotf004

That's what I did and got my first Finalist.
http://laurie-gail.livejournal.com

2 time Finalist
4 time Semi-Finalist
lots of HM's and Rejects

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Ishmael wrote:September 4th. Latest read-through only resulted in five tweaks or thereabouts. Perfect. Decided to submit while on a roll.

Many thanks to Michael, David and Lou. On the basis of your collective advice I ripped this to pieces and rebuilt it after it got a personal from CCF, (with whose opinion your comments coincided.) It is now a hugely-improved story and I really love it.

Now - do I need an early entry for Q1? Hmm. wotf011

That sounds good, May David feel the same about it,

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Rereading a bunch of DF's daily kicks. It's helping even though I know most of it already. My idea is going very very well, and I'm working on the workld conflict right now. Most of the rest is done...

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Start the story writing...now!

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:10 pm

I can finish whatever changes I decide the story needs by Friday since it's only a couple of pages and it has been written already.

Now to have someone look it over, at least for the nitpicks

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

DavidK

Postby DavidK » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:49 am

LDWriter2 wrote:I can finish whatever changes I decide the story needs by Friday since it's only a couple of pages and it has been written already.

LD ... I've been blessed with a HUGO nomination for editing and as a former long-term ASIM editor, slush reader and publisher (and obviously fore-most I'm a writer), I'm happy to offer my limited experiences and take a look. If you are interested then send it my way... otherwise, I'm sure (I KNOW so) there are many equally and AWESOME qualified WotF folk that will and can also take a look for you. I'm only interested in the first 30 lines or so, and the ending clump that satisfies the opening question/problem to comment. I always feel the muddle is in the lap of the gods (who reads that stuff anyway? Seriously?) wotf008
8 HMs.

JVAshley

Postby JVAshley » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:35 am

LD ... I've been blessed with a HUGO nomination for editing and as a former long-term ASIM editor, slush reader and publisher (and obviously fore-most I'm a writer), I'm happy to offer my limited experiences

Sounds like more than "limited experience" dear sir! wotf009
1x SF
3x HM
1x R

OldDarth

Postby OldDarth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:35 am

2nd draft done. Time to do a out loud read through and a polish before sending it off to my beta readers.
My contest history:
V32Q3 - SHM, V33Q2 - R
Blog - Lou Writes Stories
'Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.'

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:46 pm

DavidK wrote:
LDWriter2 wrote:I can finish whatever changes I decide the story needs by Friday since it's only a couple of pages and it has been written already.

LD ... I've been blessed with a HUGO nomination for editing and as a former long-term ASIM editor, slush reader and publisher (and obviously fore-most I'm a writer), I'm happy to offer my limited experiences and take a look. If you are interested then send it my way... otherwise, I'm sure (I KNOW so) there are many equally and AWESOME qualified WotF folk that will and can also take a look for you. I'm only interested in the first 30 lines or so, and the ending clump that satisfies the opening question/problem to comment. I always feel the muddle is in the lap of the gods (who reads that stuff anyway? Seriously?) wotf008

Thank you.

and I agree with JV wotf007

I will have it finished and spell checked by Saturday evening

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:28 pm

I keep procrastinating on my editing in order to brainstorm for the next quarter and/or a novel I want to write. Prooooobably not the wisest thing to do. wotf004 *gets to work!* wotf042
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
2015: R
2016: SF, SHM, SHM
2017: SHM, F, R
2018: HM, SHM

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:30 am

...and I'm in. I no longer have any idea if this story is good or not -- I've gotten completely blind to it by this point. I know I liked it when I first started. But at least I made it into this quarter this time! Now I can turn my attention to other things for a while.

Ember

Postby Ember » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:19 pm

I have other stories I could submit, but I'm thinking about tweaking my 2nd quarter R. I really believe in the story, I think maybe it just didn't have a strong enough hook.

Am I crazy?
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:57 am

Ember wrote:I have other stories I could submit, but I'm thinking about tweaking my 2nd quarter R. I really believe in the story, I think maybe it just didn't have a strong enough hook.

Am I crazy?

If your beta readers really like it to, then why not? If it was an early round R then Dave only read the first page or two, so a stronger hook and he's off to the races this time around.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 am

I had been stuck on my Q4 story for months, but now that I know the fate of my Q3, it's ignited some kind of writing fire in me. And now realizing there's only 2 weeks left, the pressure seems to have erased my writers block. I think I may just finish in time!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 4x HM, 13x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”