Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
LDWriter2

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:27 am

Hmm, I am way behind-which is mostly my fault-with that new story I was writing. So five days ago another story popped into my head. It's done already, I just needed to revise it. And put it together.

As to why it is in two pieces. I did the opening for a workshop and ended up writing the rest of it on my laptop. So I needed to upload that part and then put the two pieces together. First though I had to find it on my back up flash drives. Found I hadn't uploaded the finished product to them. So I did. Now it's together and I am revising, which included making the body First Person like the opening. But I think I can finish that part today since I am off work.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Only have it about half way done. I am quitting for the day though because I have two novels whose revisions I want to work on this week.

The story is longer than I recall, and it's a pain having to switch most of it to First Person. I keep going through a section with the normal revisioning but then realize I had forgotten to switch pronouns, so I have to go back over that section I just did.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Henckel

Postby Henckel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:59 pm

What are your thoughts on wiring a 1st person novel and swaping to 3rd when the story required another character POV? how much 3rd is too much? 10%? 20%?

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Henckel wrote:What are your thoughts on wiring a 1st person novel and swaping to 3rd when the story required another character POV? how much 3rd is too much? 10%? 20%?

Been trying to recall if I have read any books that have done that. Outside of the main MC telling a story about another character I can't remember any that have done that. Which doesn't mean no one has. Actually with all of the multiple POV character books that are out these days it would surprise me if that didn't happen.

As to how I think about. I may have to see the context. Changes of POV do not bother me and I suspect that a planned change of Person would either.

As to how most readers would feel about it. I don't know. Some won't like it and some probably won't care but what percentages of either I won't guess at.

I may do it some time or another in my writing, if I feel like the story calls for it, but so far it hasn't.

You may be taking a chance by doing it, but that is what writers do at times-take chances. Some times they pay off, sometimes they fall flat, sometimes it seems to be neither. I have taken a couple of chances with different formats. So far they have worked out like the rest of my writing. Which is they have gotten no where. Well a couple have gotten somewhere but barely.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:47 pm

Henckel wrote:
What are your thoughts on wiring a 1st person novel and swaping to 3rd when the story required another character POV? how much 3rd is too much? 10%? 20%?

I believe that it would work. The major thing anyone has to worry about in changing POV is reader confusion. If the story absolutely requires another POV, then moving to 3rd person can be a signpost for the reader. Do pay attention to maintaining tense throughout.

As to percentage, two ways to take this. Percentage of the novel or percentage of the differing POV. If it's the novel, how much of the different POV is "required?" That's your percentage.
For differing POV - If you switch to 3rd person for the different POV at all, then 100% of that POV should be 3rd person.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:54 pm

The only book I can think of that I've seen switch POV's like that is This Book is Full of Spiders (the sequel to John Dies at the End). It was done after the first person narrator had been put in a situation so bad they could potentially die, and was used to increase the suspense.

Personally, I'm not fond of the idea unless there's a very good reason for the switch.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Finished the story. The replacement that is.

Hard time with the spellchecker, but I think I got it all.

In some ways it is a good story but I wonder if it is too involved. The writing is good too-at last compared to my usual writing, but we are talking about one I wrote so that isn't saying much.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm in. This is a retread light on the retreading, so I don't have much hope for it. Nevertheless, it is the best story I've written so far and the only one I have available so... wotf017
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:50 pm

I will go over mine one more time Friday and send it in.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Welp, I'm in. Don't think it's a very WOTF-y story, but the stories I think might be crash badly anyway so maybe I'll be surprised.
Latest story: Half Price Souls (recompose Issue 3, February 2017)
www.tamlyndreaver.com

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:32 pm

I didn't send it in yet. Part of the reason was that while I was double checking it a couple of hours ago. I was feeling achy and coughing. I ran a find check for She and Her. As I said earlier I had to change part of it to First Person which the beginning was written in. It's a good thing I did. I missed tons of her-s and she-s-multiple tens of each. And while I was at I had to change the tenses at spots and found a couple of typos. When I finally finished-emphasis on finally-I didn't feel like doing anything more. Hopefully tomorrow morning.

An exciting tale-half of it in a genre I have never written in before. Well, maybe once.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:49 am

In.

Now we wait.

No... now we write!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:12 am

I just sent my story in Dec 31

As Dustin said now to wait-write

I have my original story to finish and novels to revise and finish some short stories-oh yeah work on new novels.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:25 am

Good luck to all those who are entering this Q!! wotf041
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Beth Powers

Postby Beth Powers » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:11 pm

I had been doing good about not submitting on the last day of the quarter this year, but at least I got this one in before the deadline--I'm in for Q1 wotf024

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:53 pm

I'm in
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

preston

Postby preston » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm in with a former straight reject from the former judge. Dave hasn't seen it yet, and I've trimmed it quite a bit, so we'll see. I don't have much hope. It's just a place-holder as my current story isn't finished. I have to start entering earlier with better stories, darn it! Good luck, all!

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:43 pm

Well, I wasn't going to enter this Q. But I got a rejection for a story today that might work well for WotF, so I just submitted it.

Apparently I'm in for the madness. wotf024
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm in with an hour and thirty-three minutes to spare. This is so unlike me. I am kinda' wondering where the aliens are holding the real me.

Best of success to all that entered. May the force be with you!

Cheerios!

Moon

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:57 am

Alright, guys, it's time to settle in for the long haul. According to the e-mail I got upon acknowledgment of my submission (and I'm sure you all received the same thing), we're not even going to start getting results back from this quarter until March at the earliest. *starts setting up tents and sleeping bags*
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 am

disgruntledpeony wrote:Alright, guys, it's time to settle in for the long haul. According to the e-mail I got upon acknowledgment of my submission (and I'm sure you all received the same thing), we're not even going to start getting results back from this quarter until March at the earliest. *starts setting up tents and sleeping bags*

I do wonder about that since the Q4 went so quick for V33. Hhhmmm. Now, what to submit for Q2. I have nothing currently in progress or finished at the moment. The one I finished last night, went to Submerged. Sadly with no time to have anyone look at it before I sent out into the wide world. wotf017

And now I think I have an idea to start with......think I'm going to mine a game, or at least the back story for a world one of my characters came from. Yes, this crazy Table Top RGRer bothers with detailed write-ups on her characters' histories. wotf022
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:32 am

J'nae Rae wrote:I do wonder about that since the Q4 went so quick for V33. Hhhmmm.

I figure it's because they have to a) prepare the book for publication and b) get everything ready for the workshop and ceremony. They also might have vacations or other jobs to attend to. wotf011

J'nae Rae wrote:Yes, this crazy Table Top RGRer bothers with detailed write-ups on her characters' histories. wotf022

Me too! wotf010 wotf019

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 am

Now to make everyone doubt their story after there is no way to fix the thing,

Anyone read Dave's kick on Multidimensionality?

Do I hear an evil laugh someplace?????

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:46 am

For my last post Multidimensionality.

I have tried to do some of that anyway. And that is in the story I sent in. I will be finding out if it is enough for Dave or if that is if there is something else that makes him stop reading. Like the editing.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Hmmm, I seem to have gotten so involved in revising, which includes writing a whole new chapter, my novel and a couple of short stories that I seem to have totally blanked out on this quarter.

We are waiting on News? Due in maybe March? I couldn't even recall what story I sent in but I think I do now.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Yep, we're waiting. Hopefully it will be March. Last year it was after the Awards in April. But, since he got to Quarter in November. We can hope he'll still be fairly quick this quarter.

J'nae
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:31 pm

J'nae Rae wrote:Yep, we're waiting. Hopefully it will be March. Last year it was after the Awards in April. But, since he got to Quarter in November. We can hope he'll still be fairly quick this quarter.

J'nae

Thanks

Good I was right wotf004

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Athena

Postby Athena » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:31 am

Maybe it's getting close to time to start twitching?
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:23 am

Athena wrote:Maybe it's getting close to time to start twitching?

Maybe. wotf011 I'm guessing it'll be closer to the end of March than the beginning, though.

I'm swearing off twitching again, this quarter. It seems to work well for me most of the time. (It really is easier with multiple stories circulating, too.)

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 pm

I have said this almost every quarter I think-after the first three with Dave.

He has a habit of being early, a couple of times he shocked those here that like guess and figure out when rejections start. So I suspect it will be early this time too. Or at least the first few rejections-may a large wave-will be early. The final decisions and phone calls might be right about on time. I usually don't pay attention that closely at that stage since most of my rejections have been in the first rounds. Even my two HMs have been closer to the first wave than the final sections.

So not 100 percent but chances are good he will be early at least with that first wave.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”