Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Randy Hulshizer

Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:58 am

Just getting this up here. Happy writing.
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

Athena

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Postby Athena » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:22 am

Oh ho! Already time for this! Time certainly does fly, doesn't it?
HM, R, Published Finalist!, HM

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:23 am

And, having cleared the Q4 decks today, I'm ready to roll!
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Yeah, I'm not panicking about this at all...

Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:56 pm

No, but seriously, I think I already know exactly what I'm going to do. I have a story I wrote a few months ago that I sent to a professional anthogy and got a rejection. But I think it will be great for WotF with a bit of tweaking. I need the try/fail cycles to be a bit more fleshed out, but other than that, I think it has everything DF seems to like in a story...
wotf007

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Randy Hulshizer

Postby Randy Hulshizer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:50 am

Time to start thinking about the next quarter... wotf015
Track Record: R X 3; HM X 3

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:58 am

I'm just at the stage of picking which of the two or three stories I've got in partial I should go with for this...they're all stories I'm happy with, but all incomplete at the moment.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33)
Three stories in progress for upcoming qs

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:35 am

I just have the hazy beginnings of a world and a setting. No characters or plot yet...
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:11 am

I have characters and a setting. I just need to decide on a plotline.

On another note, I've decided that I'm not going to let work overwhelm me anymore. I'm going to draft a novel over the next year or so, a little bit at a time (my goal is 350 words a day, and if I do more that's great). I just have to pick which idea to run with.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:47 pm

I should have a story ready by November for Q1. Research partially done. Now to get to it!!!! Hmmm maybe, I'll do some writing while I'm manning the ConDor table at San Diego Who Con tomorrow. Plus, I'm submitting it for critique to my Writer's Group for our October meeting so I have to have it written in the next two weeks!

J'nae
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Been working on it at work for three weeks. Just couldn't get that opening right. At one point I had over 600 words even though some of that probably was repeats. I restarted it twice and now I think I have it, so I can go on.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:28 pm

I have a story I'm working on for an anthology deadline on the 15th, then I can start on this Q story. I have to decide between two stories to write, and then of course there's actually trying to write them the way they're worth...if that makes sense???

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:45 am

I begin to tire of re-reading my story. I probably couldn't spot a mistake if it jumped up and bit me. Hey, it's the 4th of October already. Should I submit now or not? Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Okay, I decided. I'm in. wotf007

Ember

Postby Ember » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Ishmael wrote:I begin to tire of re-reading my story. I probably couldn't spot a mistake if it jumped up and bit me. Hey, it's the 4th of October already. Should I submit now or not? Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Send it out! You might get some more good ideas, and perhaps your passion will ignite when you have to defend your baby against the snarling teeth of criticism. I'd be keen to have a look, I'm trying to crit more.
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Finally sat down and wrote a story I've been meaning to write since August. A little over 1400, all today. I've submitted it to my Writer's Group for Critique at the end of the month. I'll definitely be submitting it for this Quarter. wotf024

J'nae
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Wow, you guys are boring. No conversation on here for 4 DAYS!!!

Is it every one is just busy writing their awesome entry... wotf022

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:09 am

Hi Klevang. Actually this story has been polished until I can see my face in it, and since it's in already and I can't expect to make any changes before the Spring I don't really care to be told that something's wrong with it.

However I'm always happy to do other crit exchanges. I've usually got something cooking that either no-one's seen yet or that hasn't earned itself a personal rejection. Drop me a PM if you like.

By the way, speaking of personal rejections, I just received one from F&SF signed Charlie and going into a little detail. I've had personals from here before but always signed CC Finlay. Anyone know if this is a normal upgrade or something unusual?

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 pm

Ishmael wrote:By the way, speaking of personal rejections, I just received one from F&SF signed Charlie and going into a little detail. I've had personals from here before but always signed CC Finlay. Anyone know if this is a normal upgrade or something unusual?

Getting a Charlie is a badge of some renown wotf007 and common practice is that you have now earned the right to address him as Charlie in your future submissions. Congratulations! wotf001
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:59 am

Thanks, Matt. That's good to know. wotf013

katsincommand

Postby katsincommand » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:38 am

I've got one in mind I'm a little afraid to submit. It's my favorite story ever written (which is the first scary part). And it'll be the longest submission I've ever made for this contest (another scary - there's more to burn!) And I'm also not usually planning this early.

But seriously. :) What's the worst that could happen?
Dawn Bonanno
http://www.dmbonanno.com

SF 1 / HM 6 / R 15 / Total 22 Entries

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:49 am

katsincommand wrote:I've got one in mind I'm a little afraid to submit. It's my favorite story ever written (which is the first scary part). And it'll be the longest submission I've ever made for this contest (another scary - there's more to burn!) And I'm also not usually planning this early.

But seriously. :) What's the worst that could happen?

Not submitting. wotf011 So go for it! (I missed a quarter once last year and regretted it tremendously, because that felt worse than a rejection to me.)
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:59 am

MattDovey wrote:
Ishmael wrote:By the way, speaking of personal rejections, I just received one from F&SF signed Charlie and going into a little detail. I've had personals from here before but always signed CC Finlay. Anyone know if this is a normal upgrade or something unusual?

Getting a Charlie is a badge of some renown wotf007 and common practice is that you have now earned the right to address him as Charlie in your future submissions. Congratulations! wotf001

Knowing that kind of makes me feel better about getting rejected. I just sent them a story for the second time and got a personal signed Charlie. Not bad, I guess... wotf001

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Good for you!

Just tried the second part of the advice. I'll report back on its efficacy! wotf013

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:52 am

emilymccosh wrote:
MattDovey wrote:

Knowing that kind of makes me feel better about getting rejected. I just sent them a story for the second time and got a personal signed Charlie. Not bad, I guess... wotf001

Ahh so signing Charlie must be good! Unfortunately I appear to have been demoted. I had 2 personal rejections from him and they were long elaborate paragraphs detailing what was wrong with the story. I thought I might be close to a breakthrough. Then right before I went on unemployment my boss told me I should put all my stories online for free so that people could see my work and it would help me get another job. Stupidly, I believed her. Not only have I gotten no job offers, but then I go and submit one of the stories to F&SF. Turns out putting stories online even for free counts as being published. So of course I get a rejection from him along with a lengthy paragraph on copyrighting. Now this last story I sent that got HM in Q3 I get one short sentence saying he's going to pass and why. Signed C.C. Finlay.
wotf014
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 3x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:23 am

It seems your former boss gave you very bad advise. wotf016

The only work I put out their for free is under a handle and is fanfic. Why do people always want artists to work for free? That's what putting our stuff out there for free means.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017

Imagination Vortex

Postby Imagination Vortex » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:43 am

J'nae Rae wrote:It seems your former boss gave you very bad advise. wotf016

The only work I put out their for free is under a handle and is fanfic. Why do people always want artists to work for free? That's what putting our stuff out there for free means.

Extremely bad advice! She was like you have to build up your portfolio if you want to build up your audience. And I thought hey she's older and wiser maybe she's right. Wrong. Why I listened to her I don't know. She just lost her business that should have been a clue not to take her advice. At least now I know!
~You Are Now Entering Stephanie's Vortex~
WOTF: 1x Silver, 3x HM, 12x R
IOTF: 1x Semi, 2x R, 4x Into the Vortex

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:56 am

I second all of this. The only forum I frequent that does online critiquing of stories does so in a locked forum -- you have to be a member to access it, which means that web spiders and suchlike don't find the work online. That's important, because for a lot of markets, even having your story published for review on a writers' forum counts as prior publication.

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:34 am

The only place I posted anything not fanfic was Baen's Bar. Even though that is a locked forum, I requested the entries be removed when I was done with the story there.
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:10 pm

Everyone does that there, too -- people can always edit their posts, so as soon as the poster's gotten their story into the kind of shape they're aiming for, they take them down. It's intended to be a temporary way to get group feedback, though some people prefer to send copy directly to forum members, which is safer still.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:42 pm

If all goes well, my terrible first draft will be finished by the end of Friday. wotf019 It really is bad, but I think it will be good once I take the time to edit it properly.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”