Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Henckel

Re: Jibber Jabber - Q1 - Volume 34

Postby Henckel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:02 am

I tried some members' only crit sites, but none were all that helpful.
The best crit exchanges I've ever received were from people I met on this forum. I've swapped short stories with many of you and subsequently, established relationships outside the forum.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Well, I'm damn tired of getting R's (the HM and SHM were for the same story, revised). I know I can write. So, it's time to write a story that'll knock their socks off. Sitting down to write right now. This one will do it. wotf024
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

Tamlyn

Postby Tamlyn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:41 am

I need to figure out what I'm writing this quarter. With NaNo and Xmas and all that, the lots of time to the deadline is going to quickly turn into no time :S
Latest story: Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)
http://www.tamlyndreaver.com

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:18 am

Ishmael wrote:Just tried the second part of the advice. I'll report back on its efficacy! wotf013

Okay. A 'Dear Charlie' submission produced another Charlie with quite detailed comments. Still not cracked this one.
wotf002
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:49 am

Ishmael wrote:
Ishmael wrote:Just tried the second part of the advice. I'll report back on its efficacy! wotf013

Okay. A 'Dear Charlie' submission produced another Charlie with quite detailed comments. Still not cracked this one.
wotf002

Nor have I. The best I did at F&SF was getting one story passed on from the assistant ed, back when it was all still mail subs only.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)
Current WIP intended for Q1.v36

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:52 am

Hit a bit of a snag on Friday, but it was the good kind--I went from having almost no idea what to do with my novella concept to having a complete outline in a day. wotf015 I should be able to finish the first draft of my entry today, though. I'd estimate I've got 500 to 1000 words to go.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

R, SF, SHM, SHM, SHM, F, R, HM, SHM

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:07 am

I got some great feedback yesterday at my Writer's Group for the one I'm going to submit. Just waiting to see what mark ups they post in the files later and what one member who couldn't make it has to say. Over all I'm quite pleased with it. I will definitely submit it as soon as I edit it from the feedback.

J'nae
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:14 pm

My first draft is done! And it's terrible. wotf019 That's okay. I'll fix it later.
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:55 pm

MattDovey wrote:
Ishmael wrote:By the way, speaking of personal rejections, I just received one from F&SF signed Charlie and going into a little detail. I've had personals from here before but always signed CC Finlay. Anyone know if this is a normal upgrade or something unusual?

Getting a Charlie is a badge of some renown wotf007 and common practice is that you have now earned the right to address him as Charlie in your future submissions. Congratulations! wotf001

Oh cool! I just got my first comments signed Charlie as well, with my last submission, which was Q3s Silver HM. (I was very relieved because he's always included comments, but the prior was a form rejection, alas!) I was thinking I should say Dear Charlie in my next cover, and now you've confirmed that's the right thing to do. Thanks, Matt!

Now I'm wondering if I should hang on to it and revise this Silver for this Q1. Silver is as close as you can get to knowing it was close and still being able to revise and send. Semis are nice, but the story is killed with the critique. Anyone else had success with revising a Silver? I'm always nervous resubmitting, because even though you've sought to improve it, it won't in my opinion have the same luster because Dave has read it before. Of course, as he rejected it, he could have said, If only this guy had done THIS, I'd be sending it up. So if you can figure out what THIS is, he might be really happy you fixed it.

Decisions, decisions.

Any thoughts? Class? Anyone? Anyone?

Cheers!

~Moon~

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:41 am

Dustan Moon wrote:
MattDovey wrote:
Ishmael wrote:By the way, speaking of personal rejections, I just received one from F&SF signed Charlie and going into a little detail. I've had personals from here before but always signed CC Finlay. Anyone know if this is a normal upgrade or something unusual?

Getting a Charlie is a badge of some renown wotf007 and common practice is that you have now earned the right to address him as Charlie in your future submissions. Congratulations! wotf001

Oh cool! I just got my first comments signed Charlie as well, with my last submission, which was Q3s Silver HM. (I was very relieved because he's always included comments, but the prior was a form rejection, alas!) I was thinking I should say Dear Charlie in my next cover, and now you've confirmed that's the right thing to do. Thanks, Matt!

Now I'm wondering if I should hang on to it and revise this Silver for this Q1. Silver is as close as you can get to knowing it was close and still being able to revise and send. Semis are nice, but the story is killed with the critique. Anyone else had success with revising a Silver? I'm always nervous resubmitting, because even though you've sought to improve it, it won't in my opinion have the same luster because Dave has read it before. Of course, as he rejected it, he could have said, If only this guy had done THIS, I'd be sending it up. So if you can figure out what THIS is, he might be really happy you fixed it.

Decisions, decisions.

Cheers!

~Moon~

I honestly don't know what to tell you in that regard. I'm not going to be resending my Q3 SHM, but that's because it was a weird western and one thing he commented on seeing a lot of recently was 'western mashups'. I'd give the story a read-through with fresh eyes and see how you feel about it, maybe get some constructive criticism on it from other sources. However, at a Silver HM, it's definitely publishable, so it might be best to shop it elsewhere for awhile and see what happens.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 am

Dustan Moon wrote:
MattDovey wrote:

Decisions, decisions.

Cheers!

~Moon~

I'd shop it at other pro level publications. If it hasn't sold by the end of the quarter and you've nothing better at that time, send it back in.
I've only resent one story so far. It received an HM the first time and an R the second.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R R R R HM

Dustan Moon

Postby Dustan Moon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the advice on the SHM. I agree it would be good to get some feedback, just to see if there is a consensus on what might make the story stronger and thus a win. As to submitting it to pro markets, I did that with two of the fastest, F&SF being one of them, but honestly, other markets could hold on to it past the end of this quarter, and I'd like to keep my options open.

When I lived in Eugene, Oregon, I used to get feedback and give feedback at Wordos, the Eugene Professional Writers Group. Solid bunch of writers doing Clarion styled critiques, and several writers I got critiques from are now either WOTF winners and/or final judges in WOTF. The process was definitely good for exposing my writing weaknesses and the weaknesses in a piece. That said, I also felt if you weren't really careful in a weekly critique setting, your own authorial voice could get homogenized, and pretty soon you were writing to please the people in the workshop instead of being true to self. So feedback is a good thing, but you also have to be careful. I still believe in any art form the best thing we bring to the table is our own unique human experience, and the more it resonates in our art, the more powerful it becomes.

Oh, and Ishmael, congrats on your "Charlie." Didn't mean to steal your thunder, just was excited to verify hunches I had in my own case were correct. : ) Here's to your getting a contract along with your "Charlie" the next time you send to F&SF.

Cheers!

Moon

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:28 am

Moon, my friend, you are welcome to as much thunder as you can acquire!

The interesting thing for me was this latest Charlie involved such a detailed explanation that I found something to disagree with. I recall sending him one of my HMs and having it promptly bounced with the ignominious "didn't grab me" before the WotF semis and finalists were announced in the same quarter! I therefore conclude I've made some progress.

However it might be worth recording for the community that for the second time now he's criticized my story's frame. I draw the lesson that if you're going to use a frame it had better be as good and as active as the story itself.
1 x SF, 2 x SHM, 11 x HM, WotF batting average .583
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:53 am

Ishmael wrote:Moon, my friend, you are welcome to as much thunder as you can acquire!

The interesting thing for me was this latest Charlie involved such a detailed explanation that I found something to disagree with. I recall sending him one of my HMs and having it promptly bounced with the ignominious "didn't grab me" before the WotF semis and finalists were announced in the same quarter! I therefore conclude I've made some progress.

However it might be worth recording for the community that for the second time now he's criticized my story's frame. I draw the lesson that if you're going to use a frame it had better be as good and as active as the story itself.

That's a good point about frames. They are a fairly sophisticated technique to employ and I know I've butchered their use every time I've tried, but that's one reason to write short stories, to practice and hopefully master such things.

emilymccosh

Postby emilymccosh » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Well, I think I'm going to be backing out for this Q. I've never skipped one before in the two years I've been entering...wow...

It's not that I don't have a story. I have a great one (I think), but I have a perfect idea for Tor.com's novella open submission, and I want to dedicate my time to that and one other anthology that's open until December. So I'll be putting my story on the backburner until Q2...

Happy writing, forumites! wotf041
Contest history: R, R, SHM, R, HM, R, R
1 very hopeful: V34 Q2

oceansinthesky.com | @wordweaveremily

"Remember: Plot is no more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations." ~ Ray Bradbury

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:24 am

Well, now begins the long wait. Submitted my story for this quarter. I'm quite please with it. wotf007
HM Q1 2015, Q3 & Q4 2016.
R Q1 & Q2 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

wotf024

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:41 am

J'nae Rae wrote:Well, now begins the long wait. Submitted my story for this quarter. I'm quite please with it. wotf007

Blimey, that's early -- fingers crossed for you! I think I've only subbed that early one time...

I haven't even decided which of my stories I'm going to submit yet -- everything's getting muddled by a mad scramble for other things in the non-writing portion of my life, which does have this unfortunate tendency to spread itself out and strangle the rest like an angry octopus. But I have three, now, that I think would be great to finish and send in, and I've had a lot of time to think about them all.
WotF: R:0 / HM:3 / sHM:1 / SF:0 / F:0 (Last: HM, Q4.v33. I've been quiet for too long.)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm making progress with edits, but this story has been fighting me every step of the way. I don't know why it insists on being so bloody ornery. wotf027

amoskalik

Postby amoskalik » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:41 pm

disgruntledpeony wrote:I'm making progress with edits, but this story has been fighting me every step of the way. I don't know why it insists on being so bloody ornery. wotf027

I'm not even a third of the way through my first draft. My WIP is a long hard slog through swampy terrain.

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:08 pm

amoskalik wrote:
disgruntledpeony wrote:I'm making progress with edits, but this story has been fighting me every step of the way. I don't know why it insists on being so bloody ornery. wotf027

I'm not even a third of the way through my first draft. My WIP is a long hard slog through swampy terrain.

I empathize, I truly do. My first draft was incredibly difficult to get on paper. It seemed like I actively had to pull every word out of my brain with a prybar.

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:52 am

amoskalik wrote:

It's at times like this that I pick up one of my writing books and read. It only works with writing books, like I need to be close to writing, but away from the piece that I'm working on. It seems to allow my subconscious to chew on a problem without interference from my conscious mind. New ideas percolate and I have an 'Aha' moment. Then I continue writing.

One of these just happened, so I thought I'd share. In only two pages of reading about something entirely unrelated, up popped the reason that I was bogging down.

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 am

I have not been here since I have been writing a Nano novel

But I came to the forum to see if there was a place to wish people a Happy Thanksgiving.

At least for the forumites in the USA.

But I didn't see any place so I say it to you all who are on the thread.
Working on turning Lead into Gold.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32
One HM for another contest
published in Strange New Worlds Ten.
Another HM http://onthepremises.com/minis/mini_18.html

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks! (Though technically I'm a Brit who's somehow ended up over here, but still...)

Happy Thanksgiving to anyone else over in this neck of the woods! My house now smells of turkey and bacon. It's a good day.

(Also, just to keep this sort of on-topic, I've settled on the story I'm working on for this quarter. Only in the rough stages, though, so fingers crossed I can get it finished and polished in time to sub in...)

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Almost done with my second draft! I had a breakthrough over the holiday and managed to put the majority of it into motion today. I still have some details to hammer out, but I'm so close that I can taste it. *happy dance*

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 pm

Done with Nano so time to work on my story. I restarted it for the third time today. I kinda like this opening the best. My problem is knowing when to add something and when to decide it isn't really needed and that readers aren't interested-supposedly anyway. And getting the fist 13 lines right: setting, introduction of the MC-complete with name, at least a hint of the problem etc. So I end up moving things around.

And now I am not sure if this story really fits as well with WotF as I thought. It's-well you know-mixed with a bit of that type and maybe a dash of something else. I was thinking the first one would make a good fit but mixed with the second? I don't know.

But this is my story and I am sticking to it.

Got 340 words in today.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

pdblake

Postby pdblake » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:49 am

Mine's in. Hopefully I'll get beyond HM this time.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:29 am

pdblake wrote:Mine's in. Hopefully I'll get beyond HM this time.

Yay!
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
9x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

LDWriter2

Postby LDWriter2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Made some good progress on my story. About 600 to 800 words. It may not be as long as some of previous stories. At least right now. I may come up with something that makes it longer.

I was thinking of opening with the scene I am doing now and then go back to my original opening in a flashback.

wotf017 obviously only I can decide that.

Four HMs From WotF
The latest was Q1'12
HM-quarter 4 Volume 32

kentagions

Postby kentagions » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Whew. Third story for the quarter, first draft. Time to decide which one to polish.

I pants'd this latest one. Never Again! I'd just finished a long, very structured project with a lot of research and wanted to zone out and take an idea wherever it wanted to go. It went on for over sixty pages! But I like it.

[Note: Pantsing: Writing by the seat of your pants: 1. Creating a story from idea to end without predetermined plot work. A more organic method of story creation. 2. Story creation method that drives Kent crazy because he needs to control EVERYTHING. (Pantser, pantsed).]

Of course, this one will win because there isn't enough cortisol in the world. wotf024

DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 am

I'm finally finding my stride, at the end of a few crazy weeks -- the main question now is whether I can get this finished, polished, and critiqued in time to actually sub for this quarter. I'm going to give it a good ol' try, but I'd hoped to be further in than this by now.

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”