Contest Eligibility

Open topics on the Contest itself, to include results-watch threads and other items of note.
Ishmael

Contest Eligibility

Postby Ishmael » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:41 am

Some people may be interested in my recent correspondence with Joni regarding eligibility.

I thought I was getting close to pro'ing out, having sold three short stories at pro rates (as well as three flash pieces at pro rates, which apparently don't count at all.)

She says in fact that the clause is interpreted to mean sales to SFWA qualifying markets, not others that pay pro rates. Moreover, a market that becomes SFWA after they published you doesn't count either.

I read that as being considerably stricter than the SFWA itself, but then I suppose the SFWA wants to recruit new members and WotF doesn't want to lose veteran contestants.

The SFWA's qualification page lists several defunct publications and doesn't list some new pro-payers.

Flame Tree qualified after they published me and Cosmic Roots hasn't yet qualified.

It looks as though only my 2014 story in AE (Spatchcock) actually counts! Joni's the boss. Who am I to argue? wotf003
1 x SF, 1 x SHM, 9 x HM, WotF batting average .524
Blog The View From Sliabh Mannan.

amoskalik

Re: Contest Eligibility

Postby amoskalik » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:07 am

Ishmael wrote:Some people may be interested in my recent correspondence with Joni regarding eligibility.

I thought I was getting close to pro'ing out, having sold three short stories at pro rates (as well as three flash pieces at pro rates, which apparently don't count at all.)

She says in fact that the clause is interpreted to mean sales to SFWA qualifying markets, not others that pay pro rates. Moreover, a market that becomes SFWA after they published you doesn't count either.

I read that as being considerably stricter than the SFWA itself, but then I suppose the SFWA wants to recruit new members and WotF doesn't want to lose veteran contestants.

The SFWA's qualification page lists several defunct publications and doesn't list some new pro-payers.

Flame Tree qualified after they published me and Cosmic Roots hasn't yet qualified.

It looks as though only my 2014 story in AE (Spatchcock) actually counts! Joni's the boss. Who am I to argue? wotf003

Great news! So it is possible to be in SFWA and still be eligible for the contest.
Trajectory HM R R HM R R HM HM HM R

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:36 am

I think the rule is that if you query Joni, you're still eligible. She moves heaven and earth to keep people in!
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

J'nae Rae

Postby J'nae Rae » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:52 am

Good information to know!!!

Thanks for letting us know what Joni said.

J'nae
HM Q1 2015.
HM Q3 2016
HM Q4 2016
R Q1 2017
The Trade's On, in Issue 8 of Sci Phi Journal, November 2015
Naidin's Song: Blood Bound, published August 2016
Nine-Tenths, on Empyreome (Weekly Flash Fiction,) June 2017

Ember

Postby Ember » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 pm

That's great news Ishmael!

I was sad to think we wouldn't be seeing you around the boards.

The best of both worlds, really: lots of pro sales and continued contest eligibility wotf008
---------------------------
Call me - "klevang" - my login if registration issues get fixed.

Volume 33: Q2 - R ,Q3 - SHM

The "real" Ember is a good friend and let me borrow her account, she won with "Half Past" in Vol. 31

KristyEmber

Postby KristyEmber » Tue May 09, 2017 2:54 am

Ishmael, I just wanted to say thanks for posting the link to SFWA approved markets.

I just thought I'd accidentally pro'd out of the contest, but I checked the list and am still in.

Re the contest rule that those with "more than three publications" are ineligible: a friend interprets this as 4 publications being ineligible, but when I queried, Joni seemed pretty certain that equalling 3 was out.

Dustin Adams

Postby Dustin Adams » Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 am

I believe it's "upon publication of your 4th (dis)qualifying pro pub".

Not your 3rd. This is an important distinction, and I'd say worth a follow up e-mail.

If you sub on Dec 31, and your 4th pro story is pubbed Jan 1, that entry counts, but you can not sub on Jan 2.
Again, this is my understanding.
2x Finalist
1x Semi
2x Silver
7x HM
Eight EDF stories. DSF: Flash1. Flash2. Short Story. My Semi-F

MattDovey

Postby MattDovey » Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 am

Just seconding everything Dustin says above.

Also: Joni doesn't count flash. And Joni counts flash as anything <1.5k, I think (might even be 2k to be honest; something ludicrously generous, anyway)
Golden Pen winner v32 (2016)
MattDovey.com | Facebook | Twitter

disgruntledpeony

Postby disgruntledpeony » Wed May 10, 2017 5:34 am

The Rules wrote:5. The Contest is open only to those who have not professionally published a novel or short novel, or more than one novelette, or more than three short stories, in any medium. Professional publication is deemed to be payment of at least six cents per word, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits.

The rules as written say it is, in fact, the 4th pro sale that disqualifies you. wotf007
If a person offend you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measures; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. ~ Mark Twain
wotf029 wotf042 wotf027 wotf042 wotf043

Return to “The Contest - Quarterly Topics, and Other Items”